Shoes on student's head teacher ordered out of the class from today

webfact

Shoes on student's head teacher ordered out of the class from today

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The "scandalous" teacher who made a student prostrate and crawl on the floor with his shoes on his head as a punishment has been ordered out of the class.

Though not named the middle aged female teacher will be transferred to other duties while education authorities decide what to do next.

The local education chief has not minced his words in condemning her actions that shocked the Thai public.

The teacher has said she is stressed out, can't sleep, has nightmares and complained that her symptoms of diabetes and high blood pressure have increased.

But no one asked the boy that she humiliated in front of classmates what he felt.

Now more details have emerged that, if anything, point an even worse picture of what happened last week when the incident was secretly filmed and shared online.

The school has a rule that shoes must not be worn in class. When the boy in question walked in with his shoes on the teacher made him take them off and he at first refused.

So she made him graap (kowtow) repeatedly to his shoes before placing them on his head and repeating the punishment.

Associating shoes or feet with the head is repulsive in Thai culture.

Off camera, he was then made to crawl into class on all fours in front of his classmates, all so he wouldn't break the rules again.

Area 29 education chief Adul Kongthong was highly critical of the woman's behavior. But he stopped short of saying that she would be sacked saying that she will be out of the class from today for "one to two weeks" transferred to other duties in a different place.

He said that even though the punishment was meant to teach the student a lesson it was inappropriate, wrong and over the top.

"No child subjected to such punishment will want to come back to school after that," he said, "and no child will want to be in that teacher's class.

"No one can tolerate such behavior, especially from a teacher".

He said that the teacher concerned had spoken of not feeling good about what happened. She said she wanted to teach the children about school rules and didn't think there would be a problem. She admitted she had been excessive, and accepted that she should move out of the school for a while as a committee decides her fate.

She spoke of her sleeplessness and medical conditions.

Adul said the move to remove the teacher will hopefully placate angry parents.

He added that teachers should be role models and exhibit proper behavior at all times and also when punishment was necessary they should do it in a proper manner.

He also called on school directors to ensure that staff under their control were performing their duties properly and behaving appropriately.

As is customary in Thailand neither the school nor the teacher concerned were named but Thai Rath echoed the feelings of a nation by referring to the teacher in their headline as "scandalous".

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-08

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see some belated action taking place, though as is always the Thai way, people don't actually receive a just punishment, which in this case should have been instant sacking. She has effectively been transferred to a "non active post', while the authorities hope it will all blow over.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Nice to see some belated action taking place, though as is always the Thai way, people don't actually receive a just punishment, which in this case should have been instant sacking. She has effectively been transferred to a "non active post', while the authorities hope it will all blow over.

absolutely counting on the public's short attention span

unbelievable, beat 21 kids on the head with a stick, hospitalize 3 - little if any action - but bugger me, put shoes on head and get booted out (or is it just a soft shoe shuffle) 

41 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Of course it would have been OK if the teacher had beaten the student with a shoe.

Just not on the head! They find caning much more effective. 

Point taken - it is OK to beat students (happens all the time even though it is not allowed)  but not put shoes on their head. 

I would have loved my shoes put on my head instead of beaten.

remember we all got caught for not being in study, poor old Gonzo (John had very long balls for a 15 year old) got wacked on them on the second strike. He had to get another two. Never saw him cry except for that day. Very cruel some of the punishment. What it taught me was not to get caught.

The shoe thing is a cultural statement that is very demeaning. The teacher needs to learn how to handle children.

16 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Why is student not punished for breaking the rules.

ThAt is the problem YES the teacher may have been over the top but the kid did disobey  parents and child also need to learn responsibility

...and of course, punishment can not be done in a non- degrading, non- violent way, can it?

'Educators' here always 'stressed' after they assault and bully a student! I guess I'd be stressed too if I were caught on video being an <deleted> and being cursed at by thousands of people on social media. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You can disfigure a student by throwing a coffee cup at them, and not get fired.  But do this, and you're gone?  Crazy.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit here.

The teacher in this case has been reassigned and removed from the classroom for "a week or two" according to the article. Wanna bet she's back teaching at this same school or another one in the area in a relatively short time after...after SHE'S feeling better about all that happened. That would be the Thai education bureaucracy's typical manner of response.

What I'd really like to know is -- what exactly does a Thai native public school teacher have to do (how badly behaved do they have to get) before it warrants them being dismissed from their job. Students beatings, throwing coffee mugs and hitting a girl in the face and other assorted humiliations don't seem to do it.

Personally, I don't find the shoes thing nearly as bad as a lot of the other abuse cases/episodes that teachers here have inflicted on their students. But I guess if I was a Thai, given the local feelings about feet and head stuff, I can see how they'd react to it more offensively.

If I had to choose between a coffee mug thrown to the face vs. crawling on the floor with my shoes on my head/back, I'm pretty certain I'd choose the latter.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you're jumping the gun a bit here.

The teacher in this case has been reassigned and removed from the classroom for "a week or two" according to the article. Wanna bet she's back teaching at this same school or another one in the area in a relatively short time after...after SHE'S feeling better about all that happened. That would be the Thai education bureaucracy's typical manner of response.

What I'd really like to know is -- what exactly does a Thai native public school teacher have to do (how badly behaved do they have to get) before it warrants them being dismissed from their job. Students beatings, throwing coffee mugs and hitting a girl in the face and other assorted humiliations don't seem to do it.

Personally, I don't find the shoes thing nearly as bad as a lot of the other abuse cases/episodes that teachers here have inflicted on their students. But I guess if I was a Thai, given the local feelings about feet and head stuff, I can see how they'd react to it more offensively.

If I had to choose between a coffee mug thrown to the face vs. crawling on the floor with my shoes on my head/back, I'm pretty certain I'd choose the latter.

pretty certain no one will respect you in your local area when you grow up if you were treated like a bitch at school in the way that boy was

13 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

she has been sacked. look at it anyway you like but if she was to degrade my kid like that it wouldn't just be losing her job she'd have to worry about. its about respect.

Not sacked, relocated.