Farang Fiancé: Course teaches Thai women married to foreigners what to expect abroad

webfact

Farang Fiancé: Course teaches Thai women married to foreigners what to expect abroad

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

Photo: Antonette Sales Egholm/Facebook

BANGKOK: -- Stories of culture shock are rife in Thailand. Foreigners arriving in the country, as well as Thais going to live abroad, report endless surprises and uncertainties about how to act and what to expect.

In response to this, Isaan’s Khon Kaen University and The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security are starting a program to teach one of the largest of these populations — Thai ladies that have married foreigners — what to expect when they move overseas, reported Bangkok Post.

Sociology professor Dusadee Ayutwat designed the course for the large population of Thai women in rural Isaan that marry foreign men that they might meet online or while working in Bangkok.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/lifestyle/farang-fiance-course-teaches-thai-women-married-foreigners-expect-abroad/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-08-08

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far more foreigners relocate to Thailand and marry Thai women than Thai women move abroad with their foreign husbands.  The reciprocal course curriculum would be much more stimulating and relevant and could focus on the ethical and moral acceptance of deception, scams and adultery.

Edited by zaphod reborn

Go back to Farangland expecting to be a princess

End up living in a dump with the socially inadequate man who had to go to Thailand for a wife

Scrimp and save and get a job at the local Thai tug shop or Thai restaurant

Meet other Thai girls and go out partying once or twice a month

Get bulled senseless by some local young farangs 

Eventually become bored of your marriage to old man Gary in Coventry 

.... and here's what the course is really teaching: Get a decent divorce settlement and return to Thailand with enough cash for a piece of land and to take care of the family

43 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

End up living in a dump with the socially inadequate man who had to go to Thailand for a wife

.... and here's what the course is really teaching: Get a decent divorce settlement and return to Thailand with enough cash for a piece of land and to take care of the family

but what if they already had their own land and own money and never had to live in Coventry or marry a bloke called gary. more nonsense. I shouldn't say this but i'm assuming you had a bad experience with a girl that didn't love you. from up north right? poor lad. you'll be ok

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

but what if they already had their own land and own money and never had to live in Coventry or marry a bloke called gary. more nonsense. I shouldn't say this but i'm assuming you had a bad experience with a girl that didn't love you. from up north right? poor lad. you'll be ok

No you got it wrong

He married Gary from coventry:partytime2:

On 8/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, Thaiwrath said:

She also pointed out that most foreign men that marry Thais are actually only lower or middle class and don’t earn much

That should upset a few posters on here ! :cheesy:

Do they expect that upper class well-off and educated farangs marry  uneducated girls from Esaan??

12 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Do they expect that upper class well-off and educated farangs marry  uneducated girls from Esaan??

Considering the biological and indoctrinated nature of men and women....yes.

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Sorry that happened to you, mate. ?

25 minutes ago, oldgent said:

its a no brainer really young thai female with nothing meets foreign man twice her age

who do you think comes out the best

That entirely depends on the couple and their circumstances. Are they a real couple, committed to each other for life? Or is he just a randy & cynical & selfish old so 'n so & she's just in it for the money? Or any combination of possibilities in between?

Edited by mfd101

After 12 years here I'd say Harold is spot on, I often wonder that foreign husbands have in common with Thai wives and what they even talk about, most are not even interested in what goes on around them apart from the price of durian and som tam.

Edited by Orton Rd

3 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Any stats on marriage failures between us and them? I'd guess about 70% more if a bar girl, or old prostitute to be more accurate

if you decide to spend time with a girl half your age with no money there's a good chance it will fail.

Articles like this bring out the comic genius of many TV posters and the usual ones that do not get irony.....love it.

Strangely reminds me of an English bloke, never married but had a good job at the Nissan car factory, went on holiday to Texas of all places and met a Southern Belle barmaid. All his friends told the bar maid he was a good catch and his house was a "Palace"...... that really means he kept his 2 up 2 down terraced brick house clean and tidy. She was thinking along the lines of Buckingham. She drove a Red Ford Mustang but just about to have it repossessed for failure to make the payments - but he saw classy Texan blonde with the big knockers who must have a Dad like JR Ewing. When she got round to getting to the UK (he paid) reality hit both of them in the face and him in his wallet.

So not just a Thai thing...its a multi-culture mess up that sometimes works but more often fails, and more likely to if the women "worked" in a bar beer !

I'm standing by to slagged off for the last comment from all the guys happily married for 40 years to a bar girl.......living in Coventry.

She also pointed out that most foreign men that marry Thais are actually only lower or middle class and don’t earn much  

Well I would consider myself pretty class y - mind you I don't have any money!

?[emoji145]

5 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

What do they say in Thai...som nam naa... Both ways.  A fool and his money will soon be parted in the west.

Before anyone says look I married a bar girl blah blah and happily ever after.  Congrats you are not the norm.

Sorry, but dumb people usually end up with dumb people. Same as dumb people with dumb kids. There are always exceptions.

Either you know she's marrying you for the money, or you simply pretend that you don't know. Plenty of decent girls here, but they're usually not the kind to simply approach you and call you handsome. 

Every story is different but there are trends.  I think generally speaking if you go to live in Thailand and marry a Thai woman you should stay in Thailand unless you have deep pockets and the wife wants the adventure of living in farang-land.  In Thailand you tend to enjoy a better way of life than in the west and the wife gets to keep her family in easy reach which is usually very important to them.  Being married to a farang in Thailand gives the girl/woman a status that she wouldn't normally have and it is likely she will be treated better by her husband than by the Thai equivalent. 

In farang-land the girl may get on well but often they become very homesick.  Many people will assume she came from a bar or the internet and she will find it harder to integrate.  This usually means she will seek out other Thai girls which means she will isolate herself and create a "them and us" mentality which is quite common.  It is hard for them and without their family support group they will feel lonely and insecure.  Of course the farang husband will do their best to support his Thai wife but she will still feel like a fish out of water.  Ask yourself if this is fair.

In our case we came to the UK for our son's education.  My wife found it hard and the first year she went back to Thailand twice for six weeks at a time.  The next year she spent four months in Thailand, the next year three months and now she just goes for a month every year.  We have been here seven years now.  She did meet some other Thai women when we arrived but didn't get on with them at all.  As she said "In Thailand I wouldn't mix with these girls so why would I want to here?"  Then again my wife doesn't suffer fools gladly.  I thought the Thai girls were OK, it was their husbands who were the jerks :smile:.

Now my wife has fully integrated although her best friends are Chinese/Singapore and Japanese.  Must be something comforting in The Asian connection.  When our son goes off to uni (if he gets the grades!) then my wife will return to Thailand where she owns her own house.  Whether I return there full time is doubtful.  I prefer to remember Thailand as it was when I thought of it as nirvana. 

signed

Gary's mate..

Its actually more truth than a lie and beacuse og that fact it may upset some posters...;)

A middle class european high spending pattern starts and end in Thailand as Thailand are cheap and the visitors are in a vacation or in a short visit - as soon as they arrives back in their home country starts the ordinar and more frugal spending pattern. 2 different countries, 2 different cost levels and 1 and the same level og income - not strange at all that a thai lady who have just seen the thai side spending pattern will be surprised when the other side appears in his home country especially if she has a background as a bar woman....;)

6 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Its actually more truth than a lie and beacuse og that fact it may upset some posters...;)

A middle class european high spending pattern starts and end in Thailand as Thailand are cheap and the visitors are in a vacation or in a short visit - as soon as they arrives back in their home country starts the ordinar and more frugal spending pattern. 2 different countries, 2 different cost levels and 1 and the same level og income - not strange at all that a thai lady who have just seen the thai side spending pattern will be surprised when the other side appears in his home country especially if she has a background as a bar woman....;)

Of the Thai's that I know who live in the West they all report back to their family and friends how wonderful life is in farang-land.  Much to do with face I guess.

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I know of two cases. Two awfully attractive Thai girls, a very well-off Farang Veterinarian and a former Executive of British Petrol.