checked luggage scam?

aonangkrabi

Two friends from the Netherlands came to visit me. They had weighed their bags at home, 37 kg together.

They checked the luggage in at Amsterdam Schiphol at the KLM counter. It said 37 kg.

In Bangkok they checked in at Bangkok Air for the flight to Krabi. That was an astonishing 47 kg, 7 kg overweight. They had to pay 660 Baht.

Is this another scam? Another way to make some extra bucks?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

It's because Thailand is nearer the equator. It makes all things heavier.

There's a published mathematical formula for it but I can't show it here as it is in Thai.

...except wallets which seem to get lighter the longer one stays in Thailand

It's my guess that the baggage allowance on the domestic flight was less than the international leg.

Look at the numbers. International flights are usually 20kg, so 37kg between the two of them is ok.

If however the domestic allowance was only 15kg, between them they would have been 7kg over. Which is what they were charged for.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's because Thailand is nearer the equator. It makes all things heavier.

There's a published mathematical formula for it but I can't show it here as it is in Thai.

Actually things, or people, weigh less at the equator due to the slight increase in centrifugal force.

Plenty of websites out there to confirm this.

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Actually things, or people, weigh less at the equator due to the slight increase in centrifugal force.

You clearly don't know much about the laws of Issan Physics vs Newtonian Physics. 

"Mai Chai ! This Issan, not work same here !"

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes. But they are not Thai websites are they?

Resistance is futile BTW.

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes. But they are not Thai websites are they?

Resistance is futile BTW.

I don't think any Thais are involved in this conversation are there. In fact, I guess no one gave it much thought until this topic arose. :smile:

On 8/8/2017 at 10:37 AM, Moonlover said:

Being at the equator does not make you weight more, it make you taller .

You are stretched  as a result of gravity pulling you downward and the centrifugal force , (angular momentum) pulling you up. If you lay horizontally on your back it could also make certain parts of your body bigger, but regrettably thinner.   

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Being at the equator does not make you weight more, it make you taller .

You are stretched  as a result of gravity pulling you downward and the centrifugal force , (angular momentum) pulling you up. If you lay horizontally on your back it could also make certain parts of your body bigger, but regrettably thinner.   

Newton got it wrong. There is no such thing as a gravitational force. It's all to do with the curvature of space-time.

On 8/8/2017 at 7:26 PM, Halfaboy said:

and maybe there was a problem with the scale in Amsterdam....

Airport check in scales are never wrong. They are regularly calibrated. Pilots need to know the total baggage weight, amongst a host of other data, in order to calculate the aircraft's take-off parameters.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Airport check in scales are never wrong. They are regularly calibrated. Pilots need to know the total baggage weight, amongst a host of other data, in order to calculate the aircraft's take-off parameters.

If that is the case then why don't they weigh the passengers too? There's likely to be much larger differences in passenger weight than luggage weight.

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I beg to differ as I usually look for an idle check in counter to weigh my bags when I first arrive to make sure they're not over the limit.  It's not unusual to find 2 or 3 kg difference between one counter and the next.  And if my tiny sample shows 2-3 kg, odds (standard deviations and all) are that some are much more than 2-3 off.

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

I beg to differ as I usually look for an idle check in counter to weigh my bags when I first arrive to make sure they're not over the limit.  It's not unusual to find 2 or 3 kg difference between one counter and the next.  And if my tiny sample shows 2-3 kg, odds (standard deviations and all) are that some are much more than 2-3 off.

That would be within tolerance.

39 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

If that is the case then why don't they weigh the passengers too? There's likely to be much larger differences in passenger weight than luggage weight.

An average 'passenger weight' figure is used. Weighing the passengers would be deemed to be too intrusive, especially in the USA!