Where to get a Residence Certificate

I've sold my car and need to supply the bank with a residence certificate to get the car registration documents ( so they tell me). My address is registered with Samutprakan Immigration and has been for some years. Can i get a residence certificate from them? Or do i have to go to my embassy? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

Certificate of residence can also vary in price or length of time to be issued.
A free certificate can take 2 to 3 weeks or an instant certificate can cost from 200 to 500 baht ( probably other variables also).

Each immigration has its own idea of the above, hopefully someone will have done this at your immigration and can give you the details.

Sorry but I'm confused.

I'm asking because I really don't know.

If it's your car why does anyone need a resident certificate to sell it? If your name is in the blue book already why do you need an RS to sell?

Genuine question.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies much appreciated. It is needed because the car was bought with finance and was in the bank's name until I paid of the loan. That has now been done and the bank will transfer the car into my name first so I can then own it and sell it as I wish. The procedure for transfering into my name requires the certificate of residence.

Edited by gunnerterry
Grammar mistake

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sorry but I'm confused.

I'm asking because I really don't know.

If it's your car why does anyone need a resident certificate to sell it? If your name is in the blue book already why do you need an RS to sell?

Genuine question.

If you are a foreigner, the Land Transport Office will require a residence certificate to transfer ownership to/from your name.  This can be from Thai Immigration or your Embassy - much cheaper from Immigration. In Pattaya, they charge 300 baht and you can often pick it up the same day - depending on how busy they are, this can be from about 30 minutes up to a couple of hours.

The Banglamung Land Transport office requires the residence certificate not be more than 30 days old for driving license, my guess is it is the same for transfer of vehicle ownership.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

If you are a foreigner, the Land Transport Office will require a residence certificate to transfer ownership to/from your name.  This can be from Thai Immigration or your Embassy - much cheaper from Immigration. In Pattaya, they charge 300 baht and you can often pick it up the same day - depending on how busy they are, this can be from about 30 minutes up to a couple of hours.

The Banglamung Land Transport office requires the residence certificate not be more than 30 days old for driving license, my guess is it is the same for transfer of vehicle ownership.

I will add to this some offices. I have sold three cars 2 in BKK needed COR 1 in Khon Kaen COR as seller not needed. Check with office. However in this case OP has to supply the Bank who holds the blue book as it was financed and the bank will do the change over of names with DLT office so yes he would need a COR

3 hours ago, soisanuk said:

info correct

I got one from Chaeng Wattana for B200 and it became a real pain. Never sent it to my address. I had to go there again through employees games. 

Not sure if there is any same day proof of address. 

Previously got one from consulate and after 11 months I could use it for motorcycle and car driver license. 

At the DMV (minburi) I was told that proof of address will be valid for one year for this purpose. Not sure if validity is one year for other things as well.

Went to Samutprakan Immigration office today. The staff member involved was very nice and helpful. There was a simple form to fill in, needed to supply photocopies of some passport pages and it cost 300 baht. They said they would post it to my home address and I would get it tomorrow. This was ok with me and I didn't ask to collect it as I was in a rush.  I hope to receive it tomorrow?  

Just now, Arturo said:

Chaeng Wattana will only issue Certificate of Residence once you've done your first 90-day report. Chonburi (Pattaya) appear to issue it any time after arrival.

What about those who dont do 90 day reports surley COR is available to any one at any time

22 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

What about those who dont do 90 day reports surley COR is available to any one at any time

Immigration is not obligated to issue a certificate of residency. There are some offices that do not issue them.

The other choice is to get proof of address from their embassy.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration is not obligated to issue a certificate of residency. There are some offices that do not issue them.

The other choice is to get proof of address from their embassy.

Yes i know. I was responding to the post saying you can only get a COR after doing first 90 day report. So at that immigration office they will only supply COR to people on Extensions of stay then. Not on a Non O or a METV or SETV?

• 1 month later...

Is it possible to get MULTIPLE copies of the Residence Cert at Immigration? I need 6 copies: 1 for selling a car, 1 for buying a new car, 1 for buying a moto, 2 for car & bike licenses, and 1 more for my visa provider.

Anybody ever tried to get 5 or 6 at once? If I try to, do I need to pay 500 baht x 6? And take 6 copies of all the docs and photos?

3 hours ago, ywamer said:

Is it possible to get MULTIPLE copies of the Residence Cert at Immigration? I need 6 copies: 1 for selling a car, 1 for buying a new car, 1 for buying a moto, 2 for car & bike licenses, and 1 more for my visa provider.

Anybody ever tried to get 5 or 6 at once? If I try to, do I need to pay 500 baht x 6? And take 6 copies of all the docs and photos?

Never seen anybody try to get that many in one hit, but imagine that it is possible and yes, you would need to provide seperate copies and payment for each one.

• 8 months later...

Just to update this topic. I've just come back from the local Immigration office after being told that residence certificates are now only available from your embassy. They would not issue me with one, despite having the necessary documents.

5 minutes ago, TehBen said:

Just to update this topic. I've just come back from the local Immigration office after being told that residence certificates are now only available from your embassy. They would not issue me with one, despite having the necessary documents.

Which Immigration office?

Just to update this, I have just returned from the local immigration office, where they said that Residence Certificates are now only available from your embassy in Bangkok. 

Don't know why, can't understand the reasoning. I had all the paperwork in order, but all they would give me is a receipt of notification of residence. I took this to the Land transport office and they refused it for use in extending a 5 year driving license. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 1:26 PM, TehBen said:

Asked yesterday at Phitsanulik Immigration for COR to renew driving license. They said get my name in my gf's house book. Her village boss had never heard of this. ?????

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Asked yesterday at Phitsanulik Immigration for COR to renew driving license. They said get my name in my gf's house book. Her village boss had never heard of this. ?????

You cannot be entered in her blue house book. Only Thais and those with permanent residency can be registered in one.

You can get a yellow house book based upon her house book with her permission at the Amphoe where her house book is for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot be entered in her blue house book. Only Thais and those with permanent residency can be registered in one.

You can get a yellow house book based upon her house book with her permission at the Amphoe where her house book is for. 

Thanks Joe, that's the conclusion we came to. And I assume I can use that for my licence re-newal.

Edited by wgdanson