Traffic hell when terminal 21 opens ?

bert bloggs

On 16/08/2017 at 10:48 PM, NanLaew said:

Marina is a work in progress and will be well finished and much better positioned to hoover up the Soi 6 detritus before T21 opens.

I will still park at Marina before I trawl Soi 6 as T21 is simply a mall too far IMHO.

Rolls eyes.  It's literally not much more than 5-10 minutes walk on a nice wide sidewalk from Marina to T21.  Are you seriously that lazy that an extra 10 minute walk is going to kill you?  Lol.  I read the most ridiculous comments around here sometimes.

Edited by lapd

25 minutes ago, johng said:

They said it would take six months
I very much doubt its finished yet !
It was also reported that work would be ongoing 24 hours a day but suspended on weekends and holidays to reduce the traffic chaos.

The street was dug up 2 weeks ago with single lane each direction.  It's all filled in now and concreted over with both lanes opened.  At least as far up as harbor.  I didn't walk all the way to Sukhumvit so maybe they are still doing some stuff up there.  Maybe they will dig it up again on the weekday but even then it seems pretty well organized if they are able to keep both lanes opened on weekends.  

Funny how your story changed to be more realistic about what is really going on when someone comes on here with real info about what is really going on rather than compliaining and predicting doom and gloom and spreading FUD.

Also, sukhumvit tunnel has been opened for a couple weeks now and working as designed.  Another project the serial complainers were predicting doom and gloom and endless delays about.  As usual, the serial complainers were wrong about that too.  Now they are hoping and praying the tunnel floods.  Serial complainers are just not happy about anything getting done or working in Pattaya.  They prefer to paint a picture of some backwards 3rd world where nothing works because that sort of world probably fits their own miserable unhappy unorganized dysfunctional lives much better.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, lapd said:

Rolls eyes.  It's literally not much more than 5-10 minutes walk on a nice wide sidewalk from Marina to T21.  Are you seriously that lazy that an extra 10 minute walk is going to kill you?  Lol.  I read the most ridiculous comments around here sometimes.

You must be a young, fit person. However, even you are going to get old and will find that even a 5 minute walk for a young person becomes a problem for the elderly.

23 hours ago, lapd said:

Funny how your story changed to be more realistic about what is really going on when someone comes on here with real info about what is really going on rather than compliaining and predicting doom and gloom and spreading FUD.

Also, sukhumvit tunnel has been opened for a couple weeks now and working as designed.  Another project the serial complainers were predicting doom and gloom and endless delays about.  As usual, the serial complainers were wrong about that too.  Now they are hoping and praying the tunnel floods.  Serial complainers are just not happy about anything getting done or working in Pattaya.  They prefer to paint a picture of some backwards 3rd world where nothing works because that sort of world probably fits their own miserable unhappy unorganized dysfunctional lives much better.

Some of us have been around long enough to know how things really go on in Pattaya.

2 weeks isn't long enough for any problems to become evident.

None of the public projects done in Pattaya in the past 10 years have been successful. Marina, car park, beach promenade, beach replenishment, sewage system. All failures.

Even Bali Hi is falling apart, and it isn't very old.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some of us have been around long enough to know how things really go on in Pattaya.

None of the public projects done in Pattaya in the past 10 years have been successful. Marina, car park, beach promenade, beach replenishment, sewage system. All failures.

Even Bali Hi is falling apart, and it isn't very old.

You make an important distinction between public and private schemes. It would seem that even schemes operated by private companies on behalf of the council don't have satisfactory outcomes. Refuse collection is a good example, as highlighted in a recent thread here.

Contract terms and conditions need beefing up to ensure financial penalties; ongoing week after week; are levied on private contractors till works are completed to a recognised and agreed standard, inclusive of an agreed warranty period.

Contracts should incorporste agreed standards with regard to issues such as health and safety, equality, environmental issues and (don't laugh) ethics.

If Thailand as a nation is serious about her 4.0 strategy, it needs to embrace such values or foreign investors will look elsewhere to spend their money.

At a more local level, if the city's infrastructure is shambolic tourists will find more user-friendly destinations.

I think Thai private entities will pressure government; local and national; to get their act together. There is too much to lose.

Tourists do not want to walk out of a high quality mall or hotel into a low quality environment where standards (?) are not apparent, let alone enforced.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, lapd said:

You do don't you?

But I was talking about walking back to Marina to get my car after a post-prandial hand-shandy in Soi 6. I'm hardly about to park at T21 for that now am I? Bugger the exercise, I've had that already.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 9/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, lapd said:

You must be a young, fit person. However, even you are going to get old and will find that even a 5 minute walk for a young person becomes a problem for the elderly.

LOL> I'm that lazy. I like to park as close as possible to where I'm going to shop. I'll be doing more than enough walking once I'm inside the mall. I walk for an hour in the park for exercise, but I'm not going to walk an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get to a mall - go figure. I think most people would probably feel this way.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 3:45 PM, lapd said:

My story changed ? sorry  I don't understand what you're referring too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

That should be hotel. Before a consenant. An before a vowel: An Indian hotel.

For those of us that grew up speaking English, it's "an hotel" as the h is soft.

http://www.supaproofread.com/an-hotel-or-a-hotel.html

A very easy way to determine if you should use "an" or "a" before a letter beginning with h is to pronounce the word to see how it sounds. If you don't pronounce the letter h such as in the words "hour" or "honest", you would use the word "an". For example, "an hour" or "an honest man."

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For those of us that grew up speaking English, it's "an hotel" as the h is soft.

A very easy way to determine if you should use "an" or "a" before a letter beginning with h is to pronounce the word to see how it sounds. If you don't pronounce the letter h such as in the words "hour" or "honest", you would use the word "an". For example, "an hour" or "an honest man."

Look at the last line in your very own reference: a hotel. 

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree totally, I'm not a total pessimist but after 24 years here you kind of have an idea how things work based on history, and it's usually not "ahead of schedule and under budget".

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Look at the last line in your very own reference: a hotel. 

Fair enough. Got me there a classic :sorry:.

However, IMO, it's "an hotel", and I don't know anyone that says "a hotel". That's how I say it ever since I learned English.

"nuff said.

• Like 2

On 10/09/2017 at 6:20 AM, tropo said:

LOL> I'm that lazy. I like to park as close as possible to where I'm going to shop. I'll be doing more than enough walking once I'm inside the mall. I walk for an hour in the park for exercise, but I'm not going to walk an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get to a mall - go figure. I think most people would probably feel this way.

T21 and all the people who will flock there will not miss you.  Enjoy not going there...but who are you kidding.  You will go there just as surely as Pattaya will keep growing and more and more people will keep coming here no matter how you hope and pray the opposite happens.

• Like 1

On weekends , Pattaya Nua ( North Pattaya St) is mostly grid lock from Dolphin Circle back to Sukumvit which is connected to the new highway connection. The city government is clueless in being proactive so be prepared to hear complaints about more weekend traffic not moving when Terminal 21 opens. It is not just BKK visitors but also people from Sri Racha, Bowen, Rayong shopping in Pattaya now days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

On 10/09/2017 at 1:51 AM, champers said:

You make an important distinction between public and private schemes. It would seem that even schemes operated by private companies on behalf of the council don't have satisfactory outcomes. Refuse collection is a good example, as highlighted in a recent thread here.

Contract terms and conditions need beefing up to ensure financial penalties; ongoing week after week; are levied on private contractors till works are completed to a recognised and agreed standard, inclusive of an agreed warranty period.

Contracts should incorporste agreed standards with regard to issues such as health and safety, equality, environmental issues and (don't laugh) ethics.

If Thailand as a nation is serious about her 4.0 strategy, it needs to embrace such values or foreign investors will look elsewhere to spend their money.

At a more local level, if the city's infrastructure is shambolic tourists will find more user-friendly destinations.

I think Thai private entities will pressure government; local and national; to get their act together. There is too much to lose.

Tourists do not want to walk out of a high quality mall or hotel into a low quality environment where standards (?) are not apparent, let alone enforced.

Clearly you have it all figured out.  Just like every other expat that thinks they are an expert on all things Thai.  Really all they are an expert on is complaining about everything and how nothing works...and yet they keep coming back...because it sucks so much.

Edited by lapd

7 minutes ago, champers said:

So why are you here? On this thread, to do no more than slag off other posters?

I live here and really like it, but I want to see the money better spent to improve the infrastructure. What us wrong with that?

You are just a guest in this country.  If you don't like it then leave.  Thais will run things their way and there is nothing you can say or do to change that.  Again, if you do not like it then leave.

If all you want to do is complain then you will probably not be happy anywhere and are just trying to blame Thailand.

Edited by lapd
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Drove by yesterday the building is a monster.  Huge mall must be a 1/4 mile long.

Looks about one year away to me. Will definitely be on the top ten list of things to do in town.

Should be a interesting and fun place.

32 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Drove by yesterday the building is a monster.  Huge mall must be a 1/4 mile long.

Looks about one year away to me. Will definitely be on the top ten list of things to do in town.

Should be a interesting and fun place.

LOL> that would be an interesting list. Care to elaborate...

I'd put it in the top 2, or perhaps now that Central is just over 9 years old (doesn't time fly - it opened on Jan 23, 2009) it could be on the top.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

I am sure I have read somewhere that T21 will open this year. There seems to be a big workforce on site, so who knows?

Per the OP, no new traffic measures or works in evidence as yet.

Big road work going on now along Nua adjacent to T21.

They have to do something it is going to be a traffic zoo.

Edited by bkk6060

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Big road work going on now along Nua adjacent to T21.

They have to do something it is going to be a traffic zoo.

The works on Nua is to remove overhead cables and wires and replace underground. The scheme will end up at the junction of Sukhumvit Road in due course. Rimmer started a thread in the Pattaya News forum last week.

Edited by champers

15 minutes ago, champers said:

I am sure I have read somewhere that T21 will open this year. There seems to be a big workforce on site, so who knows?

Per the OP, no new traffic measures or works in evidence as yet.

I've read older reports forecasting early 2018, but no recent forecasts.

Just now, champers said:

The works on Nua is to remove overhead cables and wires and replace underground. The scheme will end up at the junction of Sukhumvit Road in due course. Rimmer started a thread in the Pattaya News forum last week.

Sorry, yes you are correct.

Just glanced at it yesterday but went by a few minutes ago and the sign says underground cable work.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> that would be an interesting list. Care to elaborate...

I'd put it in the top 2, or perhaps now that Central is just over 9 years old (doesn't time fly - it opened on Jan 23, 2009) it could be on the top.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; if T21 is as good as the Bkk one it's going to wipe out Central, which IMO will be as busy as Avenues. As the traffic gets worse ( and it will ), it's going to be way less time in a traffic jam to get there if coming from  Sukhumvit. The Naklua crowd won't be passing by to go to Central, as it's within walking distance from the big hotels.

Marina will be lucky to survive at all.

• Like 1