Chonburi school director - whacking students is necessary and has been agreed

webfact

Chonburi school director - whacking students is necessary and has been agreed

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The director of a Chonburi school has told the Thai media that assault against children at school is perfectly ok.

It is to keep them in line.

This is despite the practice being illegal.

Director Samrerng at a Ban Bung school spoke to Sanook after an online clip went viral on Thai social media.

The clip showed a stick being used. An aunt of a boy complained that her nephew only came to class late because he was helping another teacher.

School authorities scurried for cover after the clip surfaced. It only came to light after the aunt shared it. It happened in July.

The director said the class was an unruly one. The children and parents all knew what sanctions would be used. The children could be hit two,three or even five times for various infractions including coming in late.

A local sergeant had been in the school to discuss the situation.

Alumnus said it was not a violent school though punishments of this kind went on, reported Sanook.

Thaivisa notes that corporal punishment was supposed to have been outlawed in Thai schools but the practice is still widespread.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-15

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

School authorities scurried for cover after the clip surfaced

Surprise, surprise !

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The children could be hit two,three or even five times for various infractions including coming in late.

Four times appears off limits ! :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Hit my kid and see what happens.  I might end up in jail, but I guarantee the teacher would end up in the hospital. 

Indeed, it may be the only method this egotistical idiot understands... 

.. If he were to smack your kid, I think like for like treatment is acceptable - smack him in the same way, if you are charged with assault, charge him with assault of your child. 

I've never understood the physical abuse approach. Why has it ever been okay for big heavy adults to hit little defenseless kids in the name of discipline? This has been the norm for most countries until more recent times.

Here's my gripe: If someone hits the big heavy adult for doing something wrong, they go crying to the cops? And let's face it; adults usually deserve a bigger slap for their wrongdoings than little people.

If the adult knew how to discipline properly, they wouldn't need to resort to physical attacks.

Stubby

problem is lack of maleness with the teachers, they are all pathetic little boys that need to show how they can beat the crap out of young students because they are too chicken sh*t to take on someone their own age/size. This is illegal yet the police do nothing, surprise surprise, they are simply too lazy to get off their fat bums and do the work required then to top it off the school director says it is ok to beat them, why arent these morons in jail, better yet why arent the parents beating the crap out of the teachers, this is just another pathetic face thing with thais

What I object to, apart from the illegality and brutality of the act, is that the teacher seems to have gone totally out of his mind with rage. He shouldn't be teaching.

Ban Bung is a tough neighbourhood but that's not an excuse.

The story will go away and things will go on as before.

Absolutely.  Beat the students to within an inch of their lives.  will it help them for the future - No.

Will it ensure they study harder - Well No

Will it increase their educational standard - Definitely not

so why do it - Because this is Thailand LOS ( Land of the Stupid). and this report identifies exactly what is wrong with the country.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The director said the class was an unruly one. The children and parents all knew what sanctions would be used. The children could be hit two,three or even five times for various infractions including coming in late.

Ignorant ****

19 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Bloody Hell , wish i could go to Skool these days i could have played merry hell , and all the drippies would have protetected me from the thumpin i asked for.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For you, I would have gladly made an exception to my "Don't you dare so much as touch the kids'- rule!

11 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Bloody Hell , wish i could go to Skool these days i could have played merry hell , and all the drippies would have protetected me from the thumpin i asked for.?

Perhaps if instead of repeated physical punishment your teachers had sufficient classroom discipline and engaged you sufficiently you would know how to spell 'school'!.....  

.... I know, I know... Just havin' a larfe... :sorry:

Realistically, some kids would do well to learn in an environment whereby the threat of a smack is sufficient to maintain the discipline of the class for the benefit of all. However, there are always teachers who would abuse this and as such IF a child were to be so disruptive that they do not respond to conventional non-physical punishment then I would expect to have them removed from the class so that other children are not disrupted and may continue benefiting from their education. 

Another point: Discipline starts at home, if my Son were to be acting so poorly at school that his teacher felt the need to physically punish him then I would consider that my Wife and I are doing something wrong at home. 

It is always the Thai schools that fall foul of Children's rights, we never hear of these issues in International Schools. Could this have something to do with parenting standards ? (just food for thought).

It was quite a common occurance for me at school  to receive the "stick",usually

a bamboo stick across the finger tips,or @rse,mostly for fighting ,did I deserve it,

most likely,I think some of the teachers took pleasure in it too,it did not turn me

into a serial killer,crime boss or rapist,it was just part of school life at the time,

on the final day of school,a few of us were waiting at the gate to give payback

to some of the especially vicious teachers.

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

It will never happen to my kid. At the beginning of every term, my wife warns them and to communicate with us if my child needs correcting.

Every teacher is shown this document. Feel free to print and LAMINATE. 

Thai Law against canning.pdf

Interesting way to treat your child's teachers. To be frank if you came into my classroom waving around a piece of laminated paper and threatening me, I would be more than pissed off but I understand you are just looking out for your kid. 

I believe hitting should be legal but every teacher must be given the same tool, such as like a fly swater or something for up to year 6. Something that will make the punishment regulated, but enough for the child to understand "no". 

If the students aren't up to par by grade 7, the government should mandate that the parents must assume responsibility and are subject to public lashings. Perhaps then we would get some proper parenting. =)

Thanks to dipshits like My Mate Nate, there is a huge lack of respect from kids these days. Some kids just need a little physical enforcement. =D

2 hours ago, cooked said:

What I object to, apart from the illegality and brutality of the act, is that the teacher seems to have gone totally out of his mind with rage. He shouldn't be teaching.

Ban Bung is a tough neighbourhood but that's not an excuse.

The story will go away and things will go on as before.

Any adult that can't outsmart a kid is not a teacher.  

Way back when.... I was occasionally disciplined... it wasn't illegal then

but... disciplining was carried out by the deputy head master, after tempers had cooled, and after we had had sufficient time to consider the approaching pain. (Often the worse part)..., never was it done by an enraged or embarrassed teacher.

to be called an adult, one has to act like an adult.... these teachers are pathetic, as is the administrator who is condoning the action... pathetic and despicable.

Why is it in Thailand teachers can whip a child but if an adult whips a teacher they would be charged with assault. The more I see this kind of crap makes dislike Thailand more and its not getting any better it seems. Not as bad as the Nazis but pretty close.

Edited by RBOP

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

No teacher should ever need to employ violence to control their students behaviour. 

No child deserves to be assaulted by their teacher.