Thai woman defends trespass at Yellowstone Park after online criticism

webfact

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

Even in the MacD they have a much larger warningsign for a slippery floor.

Guess it's time that somebody falls in a geyser and then will sue the Yosemite management for not giving decent warnings.

If those things are dangerous there should be a fence around it. Especially if it's a real tourist attraction.

The rules are not made just for Thais as other have been prosecuted. you go to the USA you obey there laws, a sign was there so up to you to read it if you don't then its you that is stupid not the sign nor the size of it. Learn to read English if you travel its the world languge not Thai as some think. Obey the rules or stay away.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

The rules are not made just for Thais as other have been prosecuted. you go to the USA you obey there laws, a sign was there so up to you to read it if you don't then its you that is stupid not the sign nor the size of it. Learn to read English if you travel its the world languge not Thai as some think. Obey the rules or stay away.

We also have unwritten rules on the world, in the developed countries that is.

In Europe it's even illegal to not close any holes in the ground/floors at  night in a totally fenced construction yard. There are very high fines for that in case a burglar comes onto the terrain at night and falls in a deep hole.

Any country that takes it tourists serious would put good signs there and/or a fence. Simple as that. 

The fact that the USA doesn't think that way just shows that they also don't care much about safety.

28 minutes ago, Thian said:

In Europe it's even illegal to not close any holes in the ground/floors at  night in a totally fenced construction yard. There are very high fines for that in case a burglar comes onto the terrain at night and falls in a deep hole.

Any country that takes it tourists serious would put good signs there and/or a fence. Simple as that. 

The fact that the USA doesn't think that way just shows that they also don't care much about safety.

Yeah, I agree holes etc should be covered and things made safe.

In a National Park how big do the signs have to be. Common sense and logic are not Thai strong points.

Safety, don't even bother, it gets little consideration here, be honest. Look at the road deaths and injured figures.

Thailand can't even get the immigration on entering the country right. How much consideration do tourists get with double and ten times local charges sanctioned by the government.

I could go on... but I think I am only adding to what you are saying.

:thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

In a National Park how big do the signs have to be. Common sense and logic are not Thai strong points.

Safety, don't even bother, it gets little consideration here, be honest. Look at the road deaths and injured figures.

Thailand can't even get the immigration on entering the country right. How much consideration do tourists get with double and ten times local charges sanctioned by the government.

That's what i was saying, the USA is as irresponsible to tourists as Thailand...but believe, there are more developed places on earth as well!

Was recently in a nice, quiet airport hotel in Japan for a short overnight and much needed rest before continuing my journey the next day. Perfect UNTIL a group of Thais checked in later that night. Woke me up, woke every guest up...shouting down the hall, laughing, slamming doors, more shouting and slamming and KNOCKING. TOTAL disregard for any others. ZERO common courtesy and ZERO hotel etiquette, especially late in the evening. 

I've said before (to the chagrin of others here) on other threads that just because people have money, does NOT make them "HiSo". Actions and behavior make people "HiSo".

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Safety is a priority, but the National Parks are left as pristine as possible and it is on those visiting to be safe.   Their are boardwalks and people are told to stay on the trails.   The wild animals are allowed to roam freely and people are expected to respect them -- not the other way around.   

When you enter a National Park there is written material dispensed and very large signs (sometimes in several languages) in the parking lots and in entering areas.   

Had these people went into the boiling water, there would have been those jumping up and down that they have to be retrieved right away.   

If people are not interested in the natural aspects of the National Parks, then don't go.   There are wonderful zoos, theme parks, like Disney World for those that need the safety of being watched all the time.   

These are the only places where Nature is protected from people.   

3 hours ago, Thian said:

That's what i was saying, the USA is as irresponsible to tourists as Thailand...but believe, there are more developed places on earth as well!

What about the White Cliffs of Dover? 

Would you like very large red signs and a 6 ft fence all the way along, all rivers to be fenced off along the banks with signs depicting people drowning in water? Could go further and fence all the way around mountains etc with signs saying 'Falling off Cliffs and Mountains may be detrimental to your health'

4 hours ago, Thian said:

May I assume you are Thai or a defender of Thai manners, behaviour and culture?

The United States and Canada are vast countries with millions of acres of wild and naturally beautiful country where there are vast dangerous areas open to the public. Most people are born with a thing called "Common Sense",  it's what animals also have, and when they sense danger, they try and avoid it. 

People who place themselves in danger in wild areas in National Parks and subsequently cause themselves and those they are with, to be injured or killed, lack Common Sense.  In this story, it is obvious the Thais in the story are arrogantly foolish enough to place themselves in an area of geothermal activity that has been occurring for billions of years and you want big signs erected in such places.

The National Park services place enormous value on preserving the pristine natural beauty of these areas and wild America is not a Theme Park. Disneyland has safer areas for tourists like these fools. 

Update from my contact in the Public Affairs Office:  Law enforcement is currently still investigating the incident.  They have viewed the video which speaks for it's self and have several other witnesses. The investigation is not over.  I will be up to the "Courts" and only the "Courts" to decide the result. This was a criminal action. I was sent two links to indicate both the Park policies which are handed out to entrants and  what can be expected by the Courts as in a 2016 example.  Although he can not speak directly about the investigation they have the Lady's name per the Thai news story. I did ask for them to send me follow up stories as it progresses.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/16073.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/yellowstonepledge.htm

On 16.8.2017 at 4:37 AM, webfact said:

She said she did not think the area was dangerous because the warning sign was very small.

Probably she was expecting signs like the billboards on the way from Saraburi to Pak Chong. Once you reach the Korat Plateau you cannot see the scenery, because it disappears behind all this advertising for Pick-Up trucks, Drinking Water from various breweries, and other stuff. :sick:

Sometimes there is a reason for decent signs...

18 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They didn't feed them the candies, but forcefully threw them at the little kids. The locals were so upset that they were ready to lynch the Thai tourists, so that they had to be rescued by the Cambodian army, and flown out to Thailand! I'm sure the story can still be found somewhere online...

That's disgusting - couldn't they just have ignored them like I do? But in a country like Cambodia, they are quick to lynch their neighbors when they do something wrong - of course they wouldn't be too pleased if a group of westerners had done this, but it's much easier for them to use an incident like this to justify their stereotypes of how Thais are mean to Cambodians, which this kind of case kinda proved. Such incidents quickly create a media fiasco and it usually escalates to the international level, with Thai and Cambodian ambassadors being called in for summoning. All because of stupid egos. Recall also the anti-Thai riots in Phnom Penh in 2003 (my first trip to Cambodia was just 2 weeks after the riots but just to Siem Reap) and of course the anti-Thai sentiment in regards to the Preah Vihear (Khao Phra Vihear) temple dispute in 2011, when I again made a couple of trips to Cambodia. Talking with taxi drivers about the situation at the time, which they mostly brought up themselves, was quite interesting.

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

That's why Thailand will eventually become a nanny state. In a country where logic and common sense are uncommon commodities, the state has to tell each citizen what to do and if they don't follow the rules, comes out with draconian laws and enforcement to ensure citizens who don't comply are punished for their actions. It will take time, but I'm sure Thailand will eventually become like Singapore and Australia where there is a sign for everything, a law for everything and a punishment for ignoring each of these things.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:37 AM, webfact said:

Had I broken a rule, I would have received a warning from park officials,”

i see; so if a tree falls in the forest but no one hears it, does it make a sound ?; guess thais expect officials to be babysitters; explains a lot really

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

May I assume you are Thai or a defender of Thai manners, behaviour and culture?

The United States and Canada are vast countries with millions of acres of wild and naturally beautiful country where there are vast dangerous areas open to the public. Most people are born with a thing called "Common Sense",  it's what animals also have, and when they sense danger, they try and avoid it. 

People who place themselves in danger in wild areas in National Parks and subsequently cause themselves and those they are with, to be injured or killed, lack Common Sense.  In this story, it is obvious the Thais in the story are arrogantly foolish enough to place themselves in an area of geothermal activity that has been occurring for billions of years and you want big signs erected in such places.

The National Park services place enormous value on preserving the pristine natural beauty of these areas and wild America is not a Theme Park. Disneyland has safer areas for tourists like these fools. 

Mate hurds of tourists go to geothermal dangerous places when on holiday, i've been to geysers/vulcano's myself..

If this place is really dangerous the US should warn properly and have a real barrier at the road against trespassers...some big logs or so will do and of course bigger warningsigns..

The US didn't do that so it ain't strange that tourists go offtrack to see the water...And it was not even active at all, i don't see any steam or bubbles or anything...standing on the crust might be dangerous though but they saw heavy westerners there as well so lightweight thai can also stand there.

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

Mate hurds of tourists go to geothermal dangerous places when on holiday, i've been to geysers/vulcano's myself..

If this place is really dangerous the US should warn properly and have a real barrier at the road against trespassers...some big logs or so will do and of course bigger warningsigns..

The US didn't do that so it ain't strange that tourists go offtrack to see the water...And it was not even active at all, i don't see any steam or bubbles or anything...standing on the crust might be dangerous though but they saw heavy westerners there as well so lightweight thai can also stand there.

If you're a U.S. citizen, then contact your representatives in congress with your complaints. Otherwise, forget about it. The current presentation that I saw in the video appears to strike a good balance between preserving nature and warning people. It's not an amusement park. 

You go out in nature, you accept some risks, or stay home. You can be attacked by bears. It's not a zoo with cages. I'm sure people paying to enter are accepting the legal responsibility for that. 

Edited by Jingthing

Many people still don't get it. It is not just that it is hot water, it is A FRAGILE THERMAL AREA. When tourists trample it up with footprints it takes a long time to return to a natural state. There shouldn't have to be any signs other than at the park entrance. There was a small sign the tourists ignored but signs detract from the natural beauty probably why it was small. The American guy who shot the video did yell at them rudely. Sounds like he is a guide, don't know what authority it gives him but if it was a bunch of big burly American men he would not have bossed them around. He calls them "Asian tourists". Typical can't tell Thai, from Chinese, Korean due to ignorance. Also since they were mostly women blame his rudeness on a combination of white privelege and chauvinism.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:56 AM, gk10002000 said:

haha. crazy but typical Thai rationalization. The sign was small so it couldn't have been dangerous.  Too funny

Yes this sounds like the typical after the fact attempt at rationalizing

And ending up with a pathetic irrational excuse

21 hours ago, Thian said:

I think you miss my point a little.

Erecting huge signs to warn people or fence off things in Nature Reserves is not what they are about. Safety on the urban street, on the roads and the buildings etc is a different question.

Those too  ignorant to know a thermal geyser spouts boiling water and steam or too arrogant to heed the warning deserve what the get if they ignore the sign, no matter how big. Severely injured or fined: "up to you".

That is besides the damage they can course.

It's a bit like ignoring another small sign elsewhere in Yellowstone Park that says: Beware Of The Bears, expecting to meet Yogi and Booboo, not a 450kg monster that wants to eat you.

If Thailand has signage like that the Biggest would be every kilometer on the roads: Beware: Thai Roads Are Dangerous!

This woman is either ignorant, arrogant, stupid or a mix of the three.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 8/16/2017 at 4:32 PM, Thian said:

Even in the MacD they have a much larger warningsign for a slippery floor.

Guess it's time that somebody falls in a geyser and then will sue the Yosemite management for not giving decent warnings.

If those things are dangerous there should be a fence around it. Especially if it's a real tourist attraction.

Thian, some day soon, in geologic time, that whole area will explode.  It will be worse than Krakatoa or Vesuvius or everything that came before. At least half the USA will be gone if the experts are correct.

As for slippery floors, I often took my two boys down Interstate 95 when driving on the east coast of USA.  All the restrooms had signs saying "Wet Floor".  In addition, it said in Spanish "Piso Mojado".  I taught them that "Piso Mojado" meant "piss harder", because no one seemed to be able to hit the urinal. My Dad was of an earlier generation, WW2, and the Cold War.  He saw graffiti in restrooms that said "In case of air raid, jump in here.  It hasn't been hit yet."

Oh, and as far as avoiding problems with police and other officials:

Edited by Damrongsak

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I think you miss my point a little.

Erecting huge signs to warn people or fence off things in Nature Reserves is not what they are about. Safety on the urban street, on the roads and the buildings etc is a different question.

Those too  ignorant to know a thermal geyser spouts boiling water and steam or too arrogant to heed the warning deserve what the get if they ignore the sign, no matter how big. Severely injured or fined: "up to you".

That is besides the damage they can course.

It's a bit like ignoring another small sign elsewhere in Yellowstone Park that says: Beware Of The Bears, expecting to meet Yogi and Booboo, not a 450kg monster that wants to eat you.

If Thailand has signage like that the Biggest would be every kilometer on the roads: Beware: Thai Roads Are Dangerous!

This woman is either ignorant, arrogant, stupid or a mix of the three.

It really does not matter what size the sign was or how big it was as back home they take no notice of road signs even though they are massive, it's me me me thinking only, she is an idiot who will not accept what anyone tells here for her own safety, she got away with it this time but back home it will catch up with here for sure one day on the roads.

14 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Many people still don't get it. It is not just that it is hot water, it is A FRAGILE THERMAL AREA. When tourists trample it up with footprints it takes a long time to return to a natural state. There shouldn't have to be any signs other than at the park entrance. There was a small sign the tourists ignored but signs detract from the natural beauty probably why it was small. The American guy who shot the video did yell at them rudely. Sounds like he is a guide, don't know what authority it gives him but if it was a bunch of big burly American men he would not have bossed them around. He calls them "Asian tourists". Typical can't tell Thai, from Chinese, Korean due to ignorance. Also since they were mostly women blame his rudeness on a combination of white privelege and chauvinism.

He was only doing what he has been told too

What do you call Asian tourists"?

White privilege and chauvinism ...............Says it all racist

Another one who looks at excuses to excuse stupidity.

Why are so many people here trying to make excuses? Had she gone through the fragile crust into the water and been boiled, literally, would the people here still rant on about how clever she was?

Wake up for goodness sake. If you have to be held by the hand when you go to these places then you are better staying at home. A bit of common sense is called for which the people in question never used.

I doubt if the bears carry a sign telling people not to stroke them but it is obvious you dont

Edited by gandalf12

20 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Why are so many people here trying to make excuses? Had she gone through the fragile crust into the water and been boiled, literally, would the people here still rant on about how clever she was?

Wake up for goodness sake. If you have to be held by the hand when you go to these places then you are better staying at home. A bit of common sense is called for which the people in question never used.

I doubt if the bears carry a sign telling people not to stroke them but it is obvious you dont

Someone will be along in a minute to suggest that the bears should be painted bright yellow so they can be seen further off and give you more time to get away.

?

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

It really does not matter what size the sign was or how big it was as back home they take no notice of road signs even though they are massive, it's me me me thinking only, she is an idiot who will not accept what anyone tells here for her own safety, she got away with it this time but back home it will catch up with here for sure one day on the roads.

It was just her excuse; the usual blaming of others, as Thais (and 3-year olds) always like to do. Even if the signs had been 10 times as big, they still would have trespassed! 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

22 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i see; so if a tree falls in the forest but no one hears it, does it make a sound ?; guess thais expect officials to be babysitters; explains a lot really

Excellent way of putting it. I think that's exactly what they expect. A nanny state where people have no common sense and they expect there to be rules for everything and if they aren't caught for breaking these rules, they assume they're in the right. The good thing is in many countries (I would say Thailand is included in that but it's becoming worse by the year) common sense is still common enough that most people are able to figure out the difference between right and wrong and what's safe and what isn't and that there doesn't need to be some higher authority telling people what to do.

But in this day and age more and more Thais are losing common sense and thus expect others to do their thinking for them. It's also happening in the west too of course, but I'm sure that most western, Japanese and visitors from many other countries wouldn't try to protect their ego when caught in a similar situation as this group of Thais.

I think these people just need to apologize and admit they were wrong. They don't need to be punished as it wasn't exactly the crime of the century. However, I hear there are legal proceedings underway to punish them for their actions. Don't know how that will happen given the group is back in Thailand, but it may prevent them from traveling to America again in the future.