Red-shirt leader questions Army explanation as soldiers mobilise in Lamphun

snoop1130

Red-shirt leader questions Army explanation as soldiers mobilise in Lamphun

By The Nation

9e334b2f446852356f38d87bcd9ebf6e.jpeg

Thida Thavornseth, a leader of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), said Thursday that she suspected that there was a link between an ongoing military drill in Lamphun and the verdict that former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra will receive on August 25.

However, the Army stated that the military presence was routine.

Hundreds of soldiers patrolling the streets in Lamphun caused people to panic yesterday, although the Army claimed that it was simply a drill for new soldiers before sending them to the deep South.

“Why will the drills run until August 25 only? Why will the military choose to stage a drill in a very small province like Lamphun?” Thida asked.

She said a psychological consequence was that the drills featuring armed soldiers would instil fear in the hearts of people who wished to express moral support to Yingluck.

“I consider the drill a form of intimidation,” she said.

Some red-shirt supporters have already been asked by soldiers to sign forms saying that they would definitely not show up at the court to support Yingluck on her judgement day, she said.  

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Persons holding Political Positions is scheduled to deliver a ruling in the case in which Yingluck is accused of negligence in her government’s implementation of the rice-pledging scheme, which caused massive damage to the country, next Friday. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324118

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-17

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Some red-shirt supporters have already been asked by soldiers to sign forms saying that they would definitely not show up at the court to support Yingluck on her judgement day, she said."

Is this in any way legally binding and if yes which are the corresponding laws? 

Thida Thavornseth (and the rest) how about you declare your democratic credentials to represent anyone, who elected you to speak, also might be time for the leaders of the UDD to publish their assets since you seem to claim you represent some form of democracy that as yet none understands ....... including yourselves

go for it Thida, show Thailand and all of its people why you deserve to speak for anyone and what type of concept of democracy after all these years you want people to believe ??????

I hope the current government have the balls to go after you and your associates and make you pay severely for your evil deeds

Time the current administration start to offer  rewards to people that can come forward with evidence and put a lot of these evil people in jail...............................offer some big money and the floodgates will open...............money well spent

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Thida Thavornseth (and the rest) how about you declare your democratic credentials to represent anyone, who elected you to speak, also might be time for the leaders of the UDD to publish their assets since you seem to claim you represent some form of democracy that as yet none understands ....... including yourselves

go for it Thida, show Thailand and all of its people why you deserve to speak for anyone and what type of concept of democracy after all these years you want people to believe ??????

I hope the current government have the balls to go after you and your associates and make you pay severely for your evil deeds

Time the current administration start to offer  rewards to people that can come forward with evidence and put a lot of these evil people in jail...............................offer some big money and the floodgates will open...............money well spent

Frankly, this post is quite farcical. You whine about UDD leaders not being elected (it can be discussed but UDD is not even a party), but you never whine about the current government not being elected and not being accountable of anything as they granted themself the ultimate amnesty. Then you whine about their assets not being scrutinised but you never whine about the current PM warning anyone not to investigate about the sources of its wealth. Pathetic, indeed.

1 hour ago, candide said:

Frankly, this post is quite farcical. 

I have absolutely no doubt that you don't get it and never will

as for the intervention of the current government (not ideal) but it did avoid a very obvious escalation of violence that had already reached breaking point

What is farcical is that you didn't get it - missed it - or just plain ignore it, Thailand was on the Brink, sometimes I wish it had happened and farcical people like you were caught up right in the middle of it wondering - were did it all go wrong

you are the farce defending a farce, every post you make on the subject is farcical

oh and it was you who introduced the word "farce"  to this thread not me

you realise this is an adult forum ..... right ?

12 minutes ago, smedly said:
1 hour ago, candide said:

Frankly, this post is quite farcical. 

as for the intervention of the current government (not ideal) but it did avoid a very obvious escalation of violence that had already reached breaking point

What is farcical is that you didn't get it - missed it - or just plain ignore it, Thailand was on the Brink, sometimes I wish it had happened and farcical people like you were caught up right in the middle of it wondering - were did it all go wrong

you are the farce defending a farce, every post you make on the subject is farcical

I really am bemused by the 'side-taking' that foreigners do wrt Thai politics. There are no good guys. Geddit? None of them do what they do to help/save the country. They all  do it to get their hands in the honey pot, and for no other reason.

16 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I really am bemused by the 'side-taking' that foreigners do wrt Thai politics. There are no good guys. Geddit? None of them do what they do to help/save the country. They all  do it to get their hands in the honey pot, and for no other reason.

well unlike some posters that spread farcical garbage on these political topics - I call it as I see it and have done many times, what does it matter to me or some other posters ........................... well 

I live here and have done for quite a number of years and want to remain here, this country has been on the brink several times now in the last 15 years, there are many things that I don't agree with going on with this current administration and have been very vocal about it on these forums but one thing is for sure - the military intervention has stopped Thailand imploding on itself - right or wrong that is what happened, people need to take a long look around the world right now and see just how easily things can get out of control....when rotten politicians and corrupt governments with huge amounts of money gain the power and rob people

Yes there are many things wrong here, it is so bad that it will take decades to even make a dent, I cannot think of one aspect of Thailand that doesn't need fixing, the whole place is rotten to the core and for sure no rotten elected government was ever going to fix it

Thailand needs to realise that everything that works here is not of their own making - when the penny drops then just maybe they have a chance, they are not the hub of anything of their own making, anything that has been built installed produced manufactured in this country could not have been done without foreigners (excluding growing stuff) ..................... when they realise that they are not the hub of anything or are not so smart and actually seek help from outside only then will they start to progress

as it stands - they are the undisputed hub of road deaths and the hub of failures to effectively do anything about it, sad but true, they still have absolutely no clue why ......... go figure

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Some have suggested these ideals forever.

Less than a few care to absorb the reality, instead making up romantic notions that fir nicely into their respective political/social perspectives.

Sad. Most don't get it.

9 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

.....and, universally, trained and conditioned to exist for a singular reason.

Yes but in Thailand also conditioned to shoot unarmed civilians. Another one of the Generals fear raising stunts.  

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

well unlike some posters that spread farcical garbage on these political topics - I call it as I see it and have done many times, what does it matter to me or some other posters ........................... well 

I live here and have done for quite a number of years and want to remain here, this country has been on the brink several times now in the last 15 years, there are many things that I don't agree with going on with this current administration and have been very vocal about it on these forums but one thing is for sure - the military intervention has stopped Thailand imploding on itself - right or wrong that is what happened, people need to take a long look around the world right now and see just how easily things can get out of control....when rotten politicians and corrupt governments with huge amounts of money gain the power and rob people

Yes there are many things wrong here, it is so bad that it will take decades to even make a dent, I cannot think of one aspect of Thailand that doesn't need fixing, the whole place is rotten to the core and for sure no rotten elected government was ever going to fix it

Thailand needs to realise that everything that works here is not of their own making - when the penny drops then just maybe they have a chance, they are not the hub of anything of their own making, anything that has been built installed produced manufactured in this country could not have been done without foreigners (excluding growing stuff) ..................... when they realise that they are not the hub of anything or are not so smart and actually seek help from outside only then will they start to progress

as it stands - they are the undisputed hub of road deaths and the hub of failures to effectively do anything about it, sad but true, they still have absolutely no clue why ......... go figure

My god, smedly, I sometimes have to pinch myself that you are the same guy who writes so awarely on Thai Establishment protection of well-connected serious criminals, and on the world threads about brexit. The Thai military (and it's Old Establishment backers) most certainly did not pull Thailand back from the brink: they were the ones who took it there, and they have a very long history of doing this, long before the odious Thaksin appeared on the scene. Maybe you will eventually realise that this is a battle for control of the honey pot between a disgustingly brutal and corrupt Estabishment and it's megalomaniac wannabe oponent. You are certainly clever and astute enough to, but you need to take the rose-tinted glasses off when you look at The General and the people who surround him. There are no good guys here on any side, as far as the eye can see.

30 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

My god, smedly, I sometimes have to pinch myself that you are the same guy who writes so awarely on Thai Establishment protection of well-connected serious criminals, and on the world threads about brexit. The Thai military (and it's Old Establishment backers) most certainly did not pull Thailand back from the brink: they were the ones who took it there, and they have a very long history of doing this, long before the odious Thaksin appeared on the scene. Maybe you will eventually realise that this is a battle for control of the honey pot between a disgustingly brutal and corrupt Estabishment and it's megalomaniac wannabe oponent. You are certainly clever and astute enough to, but you need to take the rose-tinted glasses off when you look at The General and the people who surround him. There are no good guys here on any side, as far as the eye can see.

So articulately put and unfortunately so very true.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

but it did avoid a very obvious escalation of violence that had already reached breaking point

"avoid" no, delay or defer is far more accurate

the underlying issues are still there, nothing much has been  reconciled,  BTW I'm not saying the reds are doing their part to make it happen.

and really you think some of your replies are "adult"?

if you are going to play the high road card

best you show it in your posts, lest you look rather hypocritical.

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand was on the brink of what? Certainly not a civil war, other than in the south. Escalation of violence? All I saw preceeding the coup was Suthep and his multiple last, final, once and for all pushes to topple the government in Bangkok that were losing momentum.

30 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The road from Chiang Mai to Bangkok goes through Lamphun; good choke point.

That's the problem with only one road in and one road out. Nice try but could do better 2/10, one for getting your name right and one for spelling. 

12 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

"Some red-shirt supporters have already been asked by soldiers to sign forms saying that they would definitely not show up at the court to support Yingluck on her judgement day, she said."

Is this in any way legally binding and if yes which are the corresponding laws? 

Section 44? :) 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Military regimes have never solved social problems....they take over administrations for self benefit.

If this junta had any idea/will of solving society, they would implement an education system that was beneficial to society....they haven't done anything after more than 3 years!

3 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Military regimes have never solved social problems....they take over administrations for self benefit.

If this junta had any idea/will of solving society, they would implement an education system that was beneficial to society....they haven't done anything after more than 3 years!

You are correct to a point, but then, were the previous self indulgent dolts doing any better. 

As for education, there are changes being made, it might be slow and without great fanfare, but changes are being implemented. 

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You are correct to a point, but then, were the previous self indulgent dolts doing any better. 

Probably not, given the current situation.

Good point calling out all of the previous military-led coups, military-led "governments" and military-installed "governments" as self-indulgent dolts.