Beach cleanup finished, new vendor rules take effect

Rimmer

Beach cleanup finished, new vendor rules take effect

1255-n6-works.jpg

PATTAYA:--The six-week “resurfacing” of Pattaya Beach came to an end this week with sand being flipped over the final work area and new rules for chair vendors about to take effect.

Pattaya legal chief Sretapol Boonsawat was on hand at Dongtan Beach Aug. 9 as more than 500 people collected rubbish, rocks and other debris unearthed as heavy machinery flipped over the sand and smoothed it.

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches have been cleared of vendors for both Wednesdays and Thursdays to allow workers to clean up the beach. Work in Pattaya concluded at the end of July.

Now that the sand is pretty and smooth, chair vendors will be allowed to return on Thursdays, but under a new set of rules.

Vendors now will be limited one 63-sq.-meter block of sand – instead of renting multiple 49-sq.-meter parcels. All vendors also will be subject to yearly draws to determine who gets to operate on public property, ending the monopoly “influential” families have held on the shoreline for decades.

To keep the beach tidy, vendors will be barred from putting out chairs until requested by a customer.

Source:http://www.pattayamail.com/news/beach-cleanup-finished-new-vendor-rules-take-effect-183593

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-08-18

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

To keep the beach tidy, vendors will be barred from putting out chairs until requested by a customer.

I like that part. Makes sense (for once). Only reason to even stop there is to have a drink in the shade or a massage. The "water" (sludge/sewage) is to be avoided at all costs.

Ko Larn used to be nice before the gov't got involved in "improving" it.

I cannot comprehend the insanity of giving vendors a larger 63 square metre plot (fair enough) but then telling them they cant erect umbrellas until a punter surfaces....in that case for the majority of my last trip at bottom soi 5 we'd have 2 umbrellas up for myself and the Italian guy who sits same concession looking complete pratts isolated under 1 umbrella......these people are utterly stupid they need to get over this face issue and employ some decent European or Australian consultants on how to run a beach for christ sake

Edited by Chivas

it will for the first few months and when attention is off this area, under table money will be exchange and some rules will be relaxed and slowly but surely the vendors and officials will return to their old ways. 

I have seen it before in the return to happiness to people pavement project in BKK. They cleared away the vendors off the pavement. The pavements were good and clean for a while and then now they have returned and you can even see the policeman around but dont do anything at all.

14 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Not very long The  lottery winners will sell their yearly lease to the highest bidder

Or be intimidated into handing the lease over too the families who have had then for years.

At least they are trying let's hope they keep the beaches maintained, we can dream.

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

I cannot comprehend the insanity of giving vendors a larger 63 square metre plot (fair enough) but then telling them they cant erect umbrellas until a punter surfaces....in that case for the majority of my last trip at bottom soi 5 we'd have 2 umbrellas up for myself and the Italian guy who sits same concession looking complete pratts isolated under 1 umbrella......these people are utterly stupid they need to get over this face issue and employ some decent European or Australian consultants on how to run a beach for christ sake

........And the rest of us can see the beach and the ocean rather than 'two complete pratts' sitting amid 40 empty chairs and umbrellas.

36 minutes ago, adammike said:

Or be intimidated into handing the lease over too the families who have had then for years.

At least they are trying let's hope they keep the beaches maintained, we can dream.

Who in their right mind would run a business that relies on being lucky in the yearly draw?

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

:cheesy:I wonder how long this will last ? Now they only have to find a way to clean the water.

Geez... They better have more injections that covers the global deadly disease departments if anyone is gonna clean that water... That job will defo be a Sh*t one ";o)

43 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Yeah, but. . . 

Who in their right mind would want to sit on the sand or a deckchair and look at an open sewer?

It doesn't look like an open sewer from the chairs. Fairly nice views actually.

If I understand well vendor can get 63m2 of beach but not allowed to put umbrella's and chairs on it until a customer ask for it

does that mean I come early in the morning be first and only customer sitting on 63m2 sand ??  Will other non paying customers have free entrance or can the vendor send them away when they don't want anything to buy ?

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Who in their right mind would run a business that relies on being lucky in the yearly draw?

Draws are silly (as concessions will be sold on). IMO there should be an auction for 5 year leases every 5 years.

2 hours ago, gmac said:

........And the rest of us can see the beach and the ocean rather than 'two complete pratts' sitting amid 40 empty chairs and umbrellas.

Clueless simple as.....at least 45% to 50% of the beach didnt/doesn't have concessions on it anyway. Are you trying to suggest you cant see the beach or the sea by looking through the umbrellas that ARE there either ??  Perhaps some sort opticians would be beneficial for yourself......or perhaps your comment is because YOU need to sit in bars 24/7 and have no real interest in the beach in the first place

Edited by Chivas

So you tell us that you actually like all these empty chairs with their ugly umbrellas? What's wrong with putting them up on demand? If you want to sit alone, just ask for it or pay an extra dollar and get the chair next to you.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

It doesn't look like an open sewer from the chairs. Fairly nice views actually.

Sadly the grey unshaven bald fat singlet wearing flip flopped individual interested in only the bottom of an another Chang (believing their living the dream) would never lower themselves to hop off their bar stool and indulge in the beach and its colourful characters....