4-year Professional Visas Get Green Light

Jonathan Fairfield

4-year Professional Visas Get Green Light

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

k1.jpg

A plan to offer four-year visas to highly skilled professionals and investors was endorsed Friday by the Cabinet.

Those who obtain the so-called “Smart Visa” can stay in Thailand with their spouse and children for up to four years without applying for a work permit. Unlike other visa holders who have to report to the authorities every 90 days, they would only need to present themselves to the Immigration Bureau annually, according to information published online by an agency promoting the prime minister’s agenda.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2017/08/18/4-year-professional-visas-get-green-light/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-18

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

highly skilled professionals????........not to many will be qualified for that visa.

So are you saying there are no highly skilled professionals, or that none will consider coming to Thailand for four or more years?

The scheme sounds fairly attractive IMO.

What about PR holders already here, many long / very-long term, who contribute well to Thailand but, at the moment need a work permit.

One would hope there would be some consistency across the various visas and situations.

Yes I'm a dreamer.

seems to me that someone is listening, Thailand needs highly skilled foreigners, the realisation of that fact is a first for Thailand and almost a public declaration that they do not have the people in house to perform certain tasks and manage certain projects, it could be to facilitate people involved in the construction of the high speed rail network and possibly many other tasks that Thailand does not have the ability to do themselves, they may also be looking closely at other countries such as the UK who rely on foreign workers to fill professional gaps that cannot be filled by UK nationals

On the face of it - another great idea that might attract much needed expertise in many areas that are severely lacking. 

This will be the VIP red carpet visa...For quality people in select government approved fields with select government approved companies......All the rest of the working riff-raff can just get the regular work visa....

2 hours ago, maxpower said:

My boss is a systems engineer and qualifies for this visa.

Lower grade dogs like me will remain on regular work permits I have been told.

So I guess as a professionally registered Telecommunications Engineer I would probably qualify. The lower grade dogs you refer to are essential to every project.

5 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

So I guess as a professionally registered Telecommunications Engineer I would probably qualify. The lower grade dogs you refer to are essential to every project.

That would very much depend on the ass you choose to penetrate. "Sorry boss no disrespect intended"

this is absurd... the 90 day thing. 

it doesn't make any sense that anyone would be exempted... because no one can explain what it's purpose is for those who are not exempted. 

i.e. quite obviously, unless you post it, you can give them any address at all... which makes a purpose to it.. any purpose at all... absurd.  

how do you exempt someone from an absurdity?

Edited by maewang99

For most people working in proper jobs in proper companies the visa and 90 day reporting is a complete nothing. It takes you or an assistant 30 seconds to fill out a form and anyone can drop it in at Chamchuri Square. 

The once yearly medical is slighly less convenient but you can do that in one hour and then pop in to meet the immigration. All complete within a morning. Hardly tough or cumbersome.

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

What do they consider as "Highly Skilled"?

Well, I have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and a Master's degree in Math.  I would love to tutor high school or college level people.  I don't want to work full time, and have no desire to work under a strict university system.  But I do have teaching experience and do like to teach and help.  Teaching/tutoring part time would keep me occupied as I would be bored just being purely retired.  Plus the tutoring keeps the brain active.   I would be very interested in this type of visa

36 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Well, I have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and a Master's degree in Math.  I would love to tutor high school or college level people.  I don't want to work full time, and have no desire to work under a strict university system.  But I do have teaching experience and do like to teach and help.  Teaching/tutoring part time would keep me occupied as I would be bored just being purely retired.  Plus the tutoring keeps the brain active.   I would be very interested in this type of visa

Like you I have a degree in engineering and i am charted. Would love to do some consultancy/ advisory work

51 minutes ago, Paul944 said:

So if you are considered to meet the highly skilled professional "requirements" you can get a 4 year visa. With this visa you are allowed to work, but what if you do not want to work?

Just guessing but even without a work permit, I'd assume it would be connected to a particular job / company. You'll have to go through all the paperwork to prove your a genuine investor or start up or are taking up a position if you're a highly skilled professional. They're not going to give you the visa just because you're a skilled professional. The annual reporting (which is really going to be a renewal) will let them weed out anyone who no longer meets the original basis on which it was given. So if your start-up fails or you've given up the job to lead a life of leisure, it will probably be cancelled.

Might qualify if they include railway industry I'm highly experienced rather than highly skilled. An expert wouldn't be too much of a reach. I'd be a black belt 3rd, Dan if the railway industry awarded belts

55 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Just guessing but even without a work permit, I'd assume it would be connected to a particular job / company. You'll have to go through all the paperwork to prove your a genuine investor or start up or are taking up a position if you're a highly skilled professional. They're not going to give you the visa just because you're a skilled professional. The annual reporting (which is really going to be a renewal) will let them weed out anyone who no longer meets the original basis on which it was given. So if your start-up fails or you've given up the job to lead a life of leisure, it will probably be cancelled.

yeah I don't think you could just rock up with your CV and ask for a 4 year visa