2 women left with serious injuries after smash with pick-up near Pattaya

webfact

2 women left with serious injuries after smash with pick-up

By Online Admin -

crash-4.jpg?fit=1706,960

PATTAYA: -- At around 3:30pm on August 20th, Pattaya police and emergency services were called to the scene of a serious accident involving a motorbike and a pick-up truck.

The accident occurred on the main Sukhumvit road, heading into Pattaya.

Arriving at the scene, police found 2 victims from the crash, both female. One of them, aged 35 year old had some nasty injuries to her face, both arms and left leg. She was treated briefly at the scene before being rushed to a local hospital.

The second victim, 30 year old, was in a much more serious condition but a puncture wound to her chest as well as several deep cuts on her legs, which were revealing bone.

She was given emergency CPR at the scene before paramedics declared it safe enough to transfer the body to hospital for further treatment.

An eye witness to the accident, who was travelling a short distance behind the vehicle in question told police that he had been following the pick-up down the motorway and admitted that they were both travelling at speed. He had noticed that up ahead were 2 girls on a motorbike, travelling at speed in the left lane.

Suddenly the motorbike made a sudden move into the right lane, as if they were about to make a right turn, or a U-turn. The pick-up had no time to stop and sloughed straight into the motorbike at force, sending the motorbike and 2 girls flying into the roadside ditch.

The man got out to try to help the girls, but after seeing the extent of the injuries, immediately called for emergency assistance.

Police took the statement as well as several photos of the scene, but will wait until they have taken statements from both girls before continuing with the investigation.

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-08-21

39 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

And repeat, 70 times a day.

And the other 69 not reported as it didn't happen in Pattaya.

The ones killed around my area are just reported by word of mouth.

Some flowers hanging down from a tree.

You wouldn't know why until wife tells you that this is the place where "the two" were recently killed.

Multiple motorbike deaths in our rural area over the years.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The crazy veer across 4 or 5 lanes without looking back or signalling seems to be particularly prevalent on the stretch of Sukhumvit encompassing Pattaya. It really annoys me as it is so dangerous.

Without having mirrors additionally.

Mirrors are sooo uncool.

When in Pattaya I avoid Suk. whenever possible.

Riding with a scooter on a race track (120 to 160 km/h on the left right lane or whatever the pickup serves) is just crazy.

Where in the civilized world is this possible?

Edited by KhunBENQ
left -> right, still mixing it up in words

Similar thing happened within metres of my house. A couple on a motorbike decided to make a right turn and didn't bother with looking to see if any vehicle was close behind. There was, and so one person on the bike died and the other lost a leg. For what?! What is wrong with these people?

I would say a motorcycle mirror check of traffic running at highway speeds is rarely comforting. You can't really gauge speeds of on-rushing vehicles. Plus there's all the lane switching and overtaking. It's a lousy situation, almost calling for speed bumps.

My recent return to the Dark Side area meant I had to run the Sukhumvit gauntlet. I needed to go to the DLT twice, meaning running all the way north on Suk to Hwy 36. Filtering from the curb lane 4 lanes over to the Hwy 36 exit scared the crap out of me because of the cars and mini-trucks speeding northbound. It's enough to scare you away from ever using Suk. I will try to find a safer if longer route next spring when I renew my licence. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I would say a motorcycle mirror check of traffic running at highway speeds is rarely comforting. You can't really gauge speeds of on-rushing vehicles. Plus there's all the lane switching and overtaking. It's a lousy situation, almost calling for speed bumps.

My recent return to the Dark Side area meant I had to run the Sukhumvit gauntlet. I needed to go to the DLT twice, meaning running all the way north on Suk to Hwy 36. Filtering from the curb lane 4 lanes over to the Hwy 36 exit scared the crap out of me because of the cars and mini-trucks speeding northbound. It's enough to scare you away from ever using Suk. I will try to find a safer if longer route next spring when I renew my licence. 

There is a back way to the DLT offices, it starts by driving past the Million years stones park, it's a pretty convoluted route but my Mrs knows the way well now. I'll have a look on Google maps and see if I can find it. 

I have had a look on Google Maps, there is a way but it's too difficult to explain, it doesn't take long either, I live about 3 kms from Nern Plawb one and from our house to DLT takes about 30 minutes, all country lanes.

Edited by Golden Triangle

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I might look like a baby girl, but on such wide roads I rarely do normal right turns with the scooter.

I slow down and keep to left, stop and wait for clear lane or a real huge gap.

Spent a few extra seconds and might save my health/life.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have had a look on Google Maps, there is a way but it's too difficult to explain

(somewhat off topic, I hope no one complains)

For readability of the street maps I prefer HERE WeGo.

This link should show a detail how get from the eastside to the DLT office via road 3240 and "Soi Chaiyapon Withi 25".

https://wego.here.com/directions/mix/3240,-Nong-Prue,-Bang-Lamung,-Chon-Buri-20150,-Thailand:12.94293,100.94662/Nong-Pla-Lai,-Bang-Lamung,-Thailand:12.96871,100.97095?map=12.95249,100.96464,15,normal&msg=Nong Pla Lai

Zoom out/in to see an overview and find your own way to this point.

Traffic on the east side is not easy but still better than scooting Suk and HW 36?

A zoom out overview:

overview_to_dlt.jpg

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Without having mirrors additionally.

Mirrors are sooo uncool.

When in Pattaya I avoid Suk. whenever possible.

Riding with a scooter on a race track (120 to 160 km/h on the left right lane or whatever the pickup serves) is just crazy.

Where in the civilized world is this possible?

Helmets are uncool   mirrors are uncool  - its pathetic

I always tell them it's not  particularly cool either when they are a piece of meat lying on the mortuary slab from head injuries:shock1:

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

I might look like a baby girl, but on such wide roads I rarely do normal right turns with the scooter.

I slow down and keep to left, stop and wait for clear lane or a real huge gap.

Spent a few extra seconds and might save my health/life.

Actually, I've done this a few times myself, especially turning south from Khao Noi to go to the u-turn. I must remember to make this a habit.

Thanks for the map. I will do a trial run sometime soon.  :wai:

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The crazy veer across 4 or 5 lanes without looking back or signalling seems to be particularly prevalent on the stretch of Sukhumvit encompassing Pattaya. It really annoys me as it is so dangerous.

It is a dangerous bit of road for bikes.... everyone is in a hurry and when lights are about to go red it is foot to  the floor.

I use the railway line bypass  and try to just cross over Sukhumvit,