Burning A Dvd

DragonQuest

What is the best free software to a burn a dvd on my laptop? apparently Im having a problem burning a dvd and I dont want to take it somewhere to get fixed because I think its a software issue not a hardware one, the thing is Ive had the laptop for over a year now and I have never tried burning anything, dvd movies and cds play just fine and it is a DVD+RW drive , I bought one of those cheap 20baht dvdr's from pantip and I tried a few programs like WM and Nero 3 but its not working, so im gonna try to download the nero 7 one to see if it might work tonight(its a big file) any other options I have? I am using the region 3 which in thailand, thx guys

On the same topic - what is a good program to burn DVDs in general?

I tried Nero 7 but it seems to have turned into a stinkin' pile of spyware these days, I just can't stand to have it on my system. It installs itself everywhere and then some. No thanks, I just want to burn the odd DVD.

Anyone using Alcohol 120%? I heard it's good. Any other recommendations?

I am currently using the program that came with my computer, NTI CD & DVD maker. It's using 100% CPU for burning a DVD so I definitely do NOT recommend it.

Are yuo sure you are buying the right disks.

DVD-R is the more common standard,

so do make sure you buy disks to match your drive.

I find Nero 6.6 works quite well, but may not recognise the latest drives.

I use Nero 7 and don't see anything regarding spyware. As for using 100% CPU, nearly any DVD authoring/writing software will be that way. It is very CPU intensive. Another package I use and find very good is Sonic MyDVD (Roxio Media Creator Suite) . For just writing/backup, then RecordNow DX from the same company.

As mentioned, be sure the DVD is compatible with your writer. You mentioned DVD+R/W and most DVDs are -R so verify your writer support.

Some free software

Adding to the -R and +R issue already mentioned is the problem with most dvd burners only liking disks from certain manufacturers. Of course, different manufacturer's drives will prefer different companie's dvds, so I can only tell you to buy an assortment. Our previous dvd burner loved Princo disks. Our new dvd burner will fail to burn every time using a Princo disk, and likes Vio.

Another point is to not cram the disc completely full. DVDs are different from CDs in that they are more sensitive.

You can cram a CD full and it still works, but the likelihood of a coaster is much larger with a DVD. Leave a few 100 MB if possible. Also, finalizing the disc on the first session increases the likelihood of a working disc.

Are you sure the DVD-RW drive is indeed a DVD writer ?

Sometimes, cause of labeling, people misstake DVD-RW combo drives

as being DVD writers.

In that case you can only write CD's.

Maybe you have a model name ?

Edited by friend2

I tried Nero 7 but it seems to have turned into a stinkin' pile of spyware these days, I just can't stand to have it on my system. It installs itself everywhere and then some. No thanks, I just want to burn the odd DVD.

No spyware in Nero.

Are you sure the DVD-RW drive is indeed a DVD writer ?

Sometimes, cause of labeling, people misstake DVD-RW combo drives

as being DVD writers.

In that case you can only write CD's.

Maybe you have a model name ?

I second this, as I had the same problem writing to DVD discs, and I was told on this

forum that I indeed had a combo drive not a dvd writer.

This could be the problem if you are finding that you can write to standard discs without a problem.

I use Nero 7 and don't see anything regarding spyware. As for using 100% CPU, nearly any DVD authoring/writing software will be that way. It is very CPU intensive. Another package I use and find very good is Sonic MyDVD (Roxio Media Creator Suite) . For just writing/backup, then RecordNow DX from the same company.

As mentioned, be sure the DVD is compatible with your writer. You mentioned DVD+R/W and most DVDs are -R so verify your writer support.

Some free software

Thanks for the info. Last time I installed Nero it came with all sorts of programs including some sort of search bar which installed itself in my task bar and was hard/impossible to turn off. Hence the spyware rant. Maybe they removed that by now?!

Thanks for the info. Last time I installed Nero it came with all sorts of programs including some sort of search bar which installed itself in my task bar and was hard/impossible to turn off. Hence the spyware rant. Maybe they removed that by now?!

The user has always been able to customise the installation of Nero. Hence, the options can be selected or deselected during the set up procedure. What you have is what you selected. Definitely no spyware.

Dvd Shrink is the best, small and easy to use program.

can find by searching web.

I agree completely - DVD Shrink is great for burning DVDs and has the added bonus of shrinking Dual Layer DVs onto a single layer DVD.

AND - its totally FREE (Donations welcommed)

Web site is HERE

The user has always been able to customise the installation of Nero. Hence, the options can be selected or deselected during the set up procedure. What you have is what you selected. Definitely no spyware.

It's been a while but what I am absolutely sure about is that there was no option to not install the "Nero Scout". I think I eventually found a program on the Nero website which removed Scout though. But, like I said, perhaps they saw the errors in their ways and there is now an option to leave it out.

To be clear: Are you sure that the Nero installer allows a user to _not_ install Scout?

To be clear: Are you sure that the Nero installer allows a user to _not_ install Scout?

No option to choose 'not to install' Scout, I just never enable it so never notice it. I agree that 7 is somewhat bloated but most features can be selected through custom install (except Scout) to install what you need.

ok im in deep trouble, I finally got Nero 7 and it gives me an error, I tried burning it as a data DVD and DVD movie and nothing is working I tried several times, I even tried burn4free,DVD shrink and 3 other cheap programs, I even used 2 different dvd's + and - , does anyone know where I can take my laptop to get fixed in bangkok for a reasonable price?, or at least to find out what the problem is? :o

it is a sony vaio btw and i bought it last year so unfortunatly the warrenty has expired ; ; here are the specs:

Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73GHz)

Supporting DVD+R

Double Layer disc

DVD-+RW Drive

WXGA 1280 X 800

NVIDIA GeForce GO 6200

with TurboCache (128 MB) 1GB

60 GB

Edited by DragonQuest

Your specs do not seem to indicate you have a DVD writer - if it is a DVD writer it usually says so explicitly - a DVD drive just means a drive capable of playing DVDs. To find out, is there any chance you could give us the exact name of the VAIO model as there are several different ones with different specs? The model name should be on the chassis or in/on the manual.

If you do indeed have a DVD writer that is faulty, perhaps it would be a good idea to go straight to Sony?

I dont know what the local branch of SONY is like, but when I needed a new battery for my ASUS laptop, after two hours in Panthip being directed between different stores, I finally ended up getting the address to ASUS' office near Lumphini Park, and they were surprised to see me there but immensely helpful and nice. I had my new battery installed in just under 15 minutes.

With a local store it's hit and miss, you dont know what you're getting unless you've dealt successfully with them before.

hey thanks for the info , should I take it to the place where i bought or to the sony service center where they fix stuff by my house? I think if I went to the store they would send it there anyways, but Im not too sure, Ill inform you guys what the deal is once I take it there, I hope they dont charge me a arm and a leg lol.

Model is VGN-FS25SP

p.s when i bought it the guy told me it burns dvd's.

Edited by DragonQuest

DVD RW most likely means it can play DVD RW discs - rewritable DVD discs. Perhaps Tywais or some other guru can confirm or refute...?
Supporting DVD+R

Double Layer disc

DVD-+RW Drive

This suggests it is writable (DVD). Mine says DVD R/RW and is also dual layer. Labeling can sometimes be misleading though and can't be certain. However, it should at least be able to write to a standard CD, if it can't then there is most likely a problem with it.

Since the OP has installed Nero 7, just run Nero Info Tool and it will tell everything about his CD/DVD.

I had a problem with my 2 year old Vaio combo drive some time ago, as it first stopped writing cds and later couldn't even read most. Sony centre at Petchburi Road just said it's broken buy new combo for 5000 thb since the warranty was expired, without even opening the box and cheking it. You should go get it checked there first though.

At Phanthip's Sony shop first floor they offered to change the drive for a combo for 1000 thb or dvd rw for 5000 thb (forgot the brand). Got my self a dvd rw which is causing some problems though and getting very hot, maybe due the Vaio model I have, PCG-K64S, which is not designed for burning dvd drives. But atlest the service was excellent there. Still burns dvds but slow.