What is it with all the fruit wine concealed as red wine?

Na Fan

16 minutes ago, pauleddy said:

Sherry is available in Villa Market. They sometimes have Bristol Cream, but you can get Spanish Jerez (which is where the name comes from) OR some OK Australian Sherry (Sweet or Medium/Dry) in most Villas.

Where do you think Bristol Cream comes from?

Australian "sherry" - http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2011/11/30/labelling-law-change-australian-‘sherry’-and-‘port’-forbidden.html

7 hours ago, JohnLick said:

We went for holiday to Europe this year. First time for my Thai gf

Even drinking 80 thb bottles was a paradise-like feeling

Several months after return she won't drink wine here... because as she say "this is not wine" :-D

I do the same for beer, only drink it in Europe.

In Thailand the only thing i'll drink is sangsom with cola and ice. No headaches from that.

5 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Big C also has decent wines just under 500, like Gossips.  

Gossips brand wine in Australia is often the cheapest bottled wine available in many bottle shops. Merlot, sauv. blanc, chardonnay, moscato etc. $3.99-$4.99 (100-125 baht a bottle)... had a glass of the moscato... it was drinkable...

Each to their own. Gossips is around 480-500b in Villa (maybe less). I must admit to being a bit of an oenophile, and picked/made wine during Les Vendanges (grape harvest) in France three times. OK, I am a bit of an armchair snob. But Gossips is not even drinkable. It's even worse than Vietnamese wine or the vile Montclair.

On 8/26/2017 at 1:04 AM, Na Fan said:

Back to the labeling topic. Picture this. You're standing in a 7-11, Tesco, whatever, and they have the alcohol safely tucked away behind the counter. Thus you're about 2-3 meters away from the bottles' labels, because, often, the "red wines" are on the top shelves. Thus if you want one, the staff has to get a chair or a small ladder out to get it for you. So far so good. But as it turns out the bottle you wanted happens to have the tiny lil "fruity fruity" label on the arse. Now I don't know about you, but I don't feel comfortable to ask the guy/girl to repeatedly climb up the ladder again and again just so I can read the back label of the bottle to see if what I'm about to buy is indeed a proper red wine, or some spin-off of one.  And obviously, the staff won't know (and honestly, I can't blame them) and thus can't be asked, either. It puts the consumer - at least in my opinion - in a silly situation. 

:huh:

You sound like a paranoid neurotic on a TV show like Seinfeld.

Why do that when all you do is look at the excise sticker over the cap/cork to know which is fruit wine and which isn't.

http://www.thebigchilli.com/uploads/1/2/2/0/12204015/3055463_orig.png

7 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

They only allow one bottle of "any liquor" to enter Thailand now, two of us wanted to buy a bottle of Henessee and a bottle of Baily's each, the airport said no and showed us the new list  One Bottle of any Alcohol, 250 cigarettes.  I used to buy 1 Cognac, 1 Liquor, and 2 bottles of wine - not anymore.

Pity for the new quota!....Hopefully the Chinese who have bought up a good portion of the french vineyards will soon flood the Asian markets with their home made imitations (that I must confess, taste good for a non connoisseur like myself):drunk:

On 25/08/2017 at 8:00 PM, Na Fan said:

I can understand that. But why can't they label it properly and in a clearly visible manner? That's what gets me.

It is in small print right under the legal disclaimer written with the typical disappearing ink. Similiar to most receipts here.

• Like 1

Buy Australian wine that has the varietal printed on the label; e.g. Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon etc. An Australian vineyard that produced fruit wine and tried to pass it off as something else would probably get napalmed.

Re sulphites, those who have an allergy can solve the problem quite quickly by adding a couple of drops of dilute hydrogen peroxide to the glass. Oxidizes the sulphite to sulphate.

On 25/08/2017 at 10:39 PM, nisakiman said:

because for some unfathomable reason known only to whoever thought of it, wine attracts a punitive rate of tax

Only 2 large companies and one medium-sized company have government concessions to produce, distribute and wholesale to the mass market in Thailand.

Their relations with lawmakers remains very tight. They have considerable input in any government decision that affects their industry.

The reason is of course protection of a lucrative cartel.

• Like 2

I always get my wines from Wine Love Bangkok. Good wines for a very good price, getting an honest advise. An European guy that speaks fluent Dutch, French, German, English and Italian. They're also importing themselves.

In the shop they have more wines than on the website, many offers in the shop, you don't see on the website.

I've found the logo with their address on their website. 

http://winelovebangkok.com/

Wine Love Bangkok

And for the ones that want to invest in wines, check out this website: http://wine-invest.club/

Edited by PAIBKK

31 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

And for the ones that want to invest in wines, check out this website: http://wine-invest.club/

On that website the "About Us" page is blank which is ominous.

The domain name was registered in December last year.  And the contact names are all "Fuc Uuu" which is hardly professional.

Oh, and the organization is PAIBKK, which happens to be the user name of the person touting this website.  Coincidence?

The number of previous projects is zero, so I wonder how they can possibly claim "we are able to offer a Return of Investment (ROI) of 15% on every project" when the wine is apparently going to be sold by tender.  And anyone offering returns of 90% a year is either deluded or a conman.

One of the prime movers behind the operation appears to be "Fred Priore Di Franciacorta" (apparently a fake name) based upon the site's Facebook link.  His background as described on Facebook includes no experience in wine.  Oh, and he's not a fan of the moderators here, having written "Can someone shoot metis dead ???".

This has all the markings of a scam, and only an idiot would give these people 50,000 baht.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oxx said:

The domain name was registered in December last year.  And the contact names are all "Fuc Uuu" which is hardly professional.

Oh, and the organization is PAIBKK, which happens to be the user name of the person touting this website.  Coincidence?

The number of previous projects is zero, so I wonder how they can possibly claim "we are able to offer a Return of Investment (ROI) of 15% on every project" when the wine is apparently going to be sold by tender.  And anyone offering returns of 90% a year is either deluded or a conman.

One of the prime movers behind the operation appears to be "Fred Priore Di Franciacorta" (apparently a fake name) based upon the site's Facebook link.  His background as described on Facebook includes no experience in wine.  Oh, and he's not a fan of the moderators here, having written "Can someone shoot metis dead ???".

This has all the markings of a scam, and only an idiot would give these people 50,000 baht.

I personally know Fred Priore Di Franciacorta, he is in wines for over 30 years.

I noticed that Name.com hasn't updated the contacts in the registry: Updated Date:2016-12-20.

It's not a scam... Yes money can grow faster than grapes. Probably you're an poor a##ole, defaming others interests and investments. Becareful with that, it can have you ended up in a Thai jail for 15 years.

Edited by PAIBKK
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PAIBKK said:

I personally know Fred Priore Di Franciacorta, he is in wines for over 30 years.

I noticed that Name.com hasn't updated the contacts in the registry: Updated Date:2016-12-20.

It's not a scam... Yes money can grow faster than grapes. Probably you're an poor a##ole, defaming others interests and investments. Becareful with that, it can have you ended up in a Thai jail for 15 years.

You are not exactly helping yourself however by not declaring your "interest" at the outset. Even the wine shop link has your user name as the web designer.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, topt said:

You are not exactly helping yourself however by not declaring your "interest" at the outset. Even the wine shop link has your user name as the web designer.....

WEBDESIGN & Powered by PAIBKK.com. Bangkok’s #1 E-commerce / OpenCart solutions.

Edited by PAIBKK

"Boo-Hoo"...Winers whinging about wine....think they're getting a fine Cabernet for B299 and don't bother to look closely and read the back label.

7-11 should be so ashamed for taking advantage of these poor illiterates.

Lucky it's not France and Italy where they dump ox blood into Algerian wine and don't even write it in small print.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

I am not saying that Oxx is right or wrong, however the wine investment site does seem suspect.

I and friends have invested in fine wines from Burgundy and Bordeaux using the "en primeur" route and they have returned good money over the years, but it takes time and has to ride out the peaks and troughs, not only in wine harvests and production but in world financial ups and downs.

On the other hand, a similar investment scheme (maybe 2 if I recall correctly) in wine in Australia fell over a few years back, mainly because it was focused on the middle to lower end of the market, and the dynamics of those markets does not allow for making good returns on one's investment.

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Only 2 large companies and one medium-sized company have government concessions to produce, distribute and wholesale to the mass market in Thailand.

Their relations with lawmakers remains very tight. They have considerable input in any government decision that affects their industry.

The reason is of course protection of a lucrative cartel.

That there is collusion between the concessionaires and the government departments concerned I accept, and it doesn't surprise me, but it still doesn't explain why the taxes are so high. If they have the sole concession anyway, it would be in their interests for the endpoint price to be lower, as they would sell far more of their products. They make nothing from the taxes, as that money goes directly to the government. And lower taxes on their products wouldn't affect their grip on the industry if, as you say, they are tight with the government departments that give the concessions. So I'm still baffled as to why wine, and not other alcoholic drinks, attracts such a ridiculously high rate of tax.

13 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Each to their own. Gossips is around 480-500b in Villa (maybe less). I must admit to being a bit of an oenophile, and picked/made wine during Les Vendanges (grape harvest) in France three times. OK, I am a bit of an armchair snob. But Gossips is not even drinkable. It's even worse than Vietnamese wine or the vile Montclair.

Each to their own, however I would much rather drink Gossips over Montclair any day.

A scout around the "Supercheap" big store in Phuket reveals some middle-of-the-road wines from Australia and Chile which are certainly well above the Montclair standard, and these can start at 420 baht a bottle.

I have just discovered a little beauty in Villa Market and after having tried one bottle I am going to go back and buy a dozen bottles if they have it. I don't need to but my regular supply of high-quality wines which I get an extremely good deal on seems to be petering out of late – – I suspect it is an organisation which relies on buying back/taking back wines which have been placed on consignment and reselling them.

Last night I tasted a very beautiful 2006 Heritage Rosscos Shiraz, however have not been able to get any more of this and am waiting for the next "batch" to become available.

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

Since you know him so well, perhaps you can confirm, then that he's the person behind the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/priore.difranciacorta

His prior work experience is listed as International Distributor at Priore, Works at Business Owner in Bladenberg, Maryland, Former CFO at Omega watch, Switzerland.  Why hasn't he mentioned his 30+ years of wine experience? (Priore appears to be a wine company, but being a distributor for a single brand for 10 years doesn't make "30+ years' wine experience".)

And the sites he links to are www.topsecretco.com and www.bkkconnection.com, both of which tout cheap perfume.  Plus, of course, www.paibkk.com.

Edited by Oxx
Added Priore comment.
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

I personally know Fred Priore Di Franciacorta

You're not he are you? Is that you how know him so well? And if not, what is the relationship?

I notice that the contact details for PAIBKK are Top Secret International Co., Ltd. with addresses matching those given on www.topsecretco.com - a website selling fake perfumes which appears to be connected with Mr. Fred.  (They do admit in an obscure location on the website, but still, surely this is illegal.)

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You're not he are you? Is that you how know him so well? And if not, what is the relationship?

I notice that the contact details for PAIBKK are Top Secret International Co., Ltd. with addresses matching those given on www.topsecretco.com - a website selling fake perfumes which appears to be connected with Mr. Fred.  (They do admit in an obscure location on the website, but still, surely this is illegal.)

If he's doing something illegal, you may report it...

14 hours ago, kkerry said:

Gossips brand wine in Australia is often the cheapest bottled wine available in many bottle shops. Merlot, sauv. blanc, chardonnay, moscato etc. $3.99-$4.99 (100-125 baht a bottle)... had a glass of the moscato... it was drinkable...

Fair enough.  My use of "decent" wasn't the best choice. :)  It's just that I refuse to pay over 500 and be held to ransom for even more, so choices are limited.  I'm looking for jobs abroad already, getting fed up with this place, and this is one out of many things.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

36 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Have you tried beer Lao?  It's pretty good, both the regular and dark one.  

I can't find that.

But San Miguel light is also overraded on this forum, it also gives me headache but not as fast as other Thai beers.

15 hours ago, Thian said:

I do the same for beer, only drink it in Europe.

In Thailand the only thing i'll drink is sangsom with cola and ice. No headaches from that.

Thian, if you like sangsom with cola, you might want to try young coconut juice (in the shell) with sangsom. Best if the coconut has been in the fridge.

Great combination! (as an extra, I get the coconuts straight from our garden....).