Lost in Translation: Thailand offers course for women who marry foreigners

snoop1130

16 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

course materials for farangs will be the easiest in the history of publication. main resource is a book entitled "Are you sure you want to do this?" with the same question written over 1,000 pages in fine print.

Thank you-the best laugh I have had for ages..!!

Some facts pertinent to the book..

First published by Sawarsdee Khrap and Minions in 1995.

Though over 2 million copies have been printed since,none in fact,has ever been read.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

"If the Western man does not understand the family dynamics, this can cause a lot of problems"......

You mean "accept". Plenty of us understand the family dynamics, we're just not prepared to accept (put up with) them.  

And you don't see that as being profoundly selfish?

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ah huh...

Not about any nationality of women in particular but my father re-married at 53 back in 1977 and his new love had their will(s) done about 1981.  She was 15 years younger than him but she set up the will so that everything went to herself and her children if he died before her, which of course, he did, leaving me and my sister out of everything.  We didn't really care since we had our lives established and had our own money but my point is that this woman was SMART as well as clairvoyant.  She could see the future and 37 years ago she prepared for it.  Just putting that out there.

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

Will this be followed with a course for foreigners who marry Thai women. Caring for family who don't work, sick buffalo's, live in "brothers", along with the numerous others unknowns until after marriage. 

You haart no good. Kee niauw. No big mooney no loov me. Falang mai dee.

13 minutes ago, billmichael said:

Not about any nationality of women in particular but my father re-married at 53 back in 1977 and his new love had their will(s) done about 1981.  She was 15 years younger than him but she set up the will so that everything went to herself and her children if he died before her, which of course, he did, leaving me and my sister out of everything.  We didn't really care since we had our lives established and had our own money but my point is that this woman was SMART as well as clairvoyant.  She could see the future and 37 years ago she prepared for it.  Just putting that out there.

as would any other woman in australia, UK or anywhere else. 

21 minutes ago, billmichael said:

My comment was aimed at the individual making it and what it said about them.

It was not aimed at any specific nationality...or gender for that matter.

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

"Thai women, especially those from the northeast region, are soft-spoken and submissive,"

They need to meet my wife!!!

Mine too!  I've seen her get people to do things you would have to pay bucks for just by the force of her presence.  I also would not want to get into a knife fight with her!  "That's not a knife, THAT's a knife!"

20 minutes ago, billmichael said:

When my father married my stepmother, both my sister and I thought in exactly the same manner - "This is his wife who he committed to take care of during life and after he passed away."
I expect nothing from my father at the time of his death.  My father helped me immensely throughout my life and I am to this day grateful.  I established my own life, so why would I not want his estate to go to his wife, my stepmother.  She made him an exceedingly happy man until the day he died.  
So, the question really is: "Who exactly are the greedy individuals in your story?  His wife of 37 years?"  I feel sorry for those siblings who feel entitled to the estates of their parents.  Only if you took care of your dying parents in the last years of their lives, and after both have passed away, sure.  Maybe.

It should work both ways. My wife has sent over $160K in the last 11 years to mum. She owns a house and mum gets the rent. When I was there in 2016 I looked at new house in new gated estate for 2.25 m baht. We would have paid it off by now and had additional rent to look after mum. But the worse part to it is that mum believes she is low class and won't ask for rent increase on her daughters house. We bought a house for her nephew and only after 3 years is he starting to pay rent. My wife said to me about 2 months ago she wants to buy another house. 

They really need to be taught in maths, humanity disciplines (arrogance, resentment, balance of power, decision making, opinion v's solid argument, truthfulness, equal sharing), a language they want to marry, and maybe some other things that escape me at the moment.

But it goes both ways.

My wife wanted to break free from her family, and live in a more suitable climate. She does a cleaning business now, and is more happy that she is liked then the payment she gets. Her greatest battle is still living to a caste system in her daily life. Me I am just a cranky pr!#k.

17 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Whoever wrote this must be hard of hearing.

Many years ago, I served in an aircraft carrier and the flight deck broadcast system, being designed to overcome the howl of jet engines, could be heard in Plymouth 12 miles away when the wind was fair. My beautiful Issan wife, normally quietly spoken, when roused has no need of electronic assistance to make her views clear at a mere 12 miles distance!

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

:cheesy:....the western nation embassies should rather give courses to their countrymen to excise top most caution in case of marriage and never to put property into the name of their fine ladies!!...and not to fall in for the sick buffalo or the leaking roof!!

Of course there are exceptions and not all Thai ladies are gold diggers....of course not!!...

But unfortunarely a decent proportion of such unions end up in a financial disaster for the farang or in a crash skydiving course from a high rise condo in Disneyland!

Well, of course not all are gold diggers. But anyway, even if a farang learns to understand the very special thai culture and specially if he farang honesty falls in love, then the problems are going giant! It starts by translation and continues with very different meanings & definitions of simple words - as like "love"(!!!) and many others more. Even if a thai woman lived already (as student) for years in a western country & speaks very well english (or any other language) she still is Thai and use to have her own "very special" way to translate and understand. It always (even might not outspoken) ends in this traditional (genetic?) stupid & selfish believeas a "Thai" to be a kind of superior human-being!!! 

No farang ever (I really learned to hate this word ???), even if speaks thai perfect & live here since 20 years, ever will be able to compensate that such <deleted>***** bullshit!

Long story short: accept it or don't marry a Thai!!!

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

...a 2004 government study showed more than 15,000 women from one of the poorest regions, northeastern Isan, had married foreign men, and sent a monthly total of 122 million baht to their families.

That's almost 1.5 billion baht a year. Wonder how many Thai ladies in total, must be more than 15,000, that are married to foreign men and partly support their families..?

6 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

Topic #1:  How to empty the ATM machine!

Topic #2:  How to hide your Thai boyfriend!

Topic #3:  How to run back to Issan and hide!

#1. Girl 25 Man 65. Shes got to cash in ASAP before his lights go out.
#2. Looking at the state of some farangs that's hardly surprising
#3. 1+2

2 hours ago, Lupatria said:

Red flags? Enjoy as long as they are not illegal, and stay away from wearing shirts in matching colors :post-4641-1156693976:

Unsure if you are referring to red/yellow shirts aka something political right now, but I was more referring to "reading a bit too deep(er) into the story" and henche had male self respect and preservation alarms ringing as MGTOW philosophy came looking over those shoulders of mine.

14 minutes ago, pattayadgw said:

How about a course for the foreign men who marry Thai women... 

Don't you think the course should be for those considering marrying a Thai.

It could begin with - Be sure to pack your brain before leaving home country.

Good idea. Though it should be taught by people with experience, instead of some ignorant teachers. 

For those of us who are trying to understand Thai women, always remember a few things. First of all, Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Secondarily, do not have an expectation of common sense. Thirdly, do not attempt to use Western style reason. Fourth, take your time getting to know her. Time is always your ally, and rarely is it an ally of hers. If it is good, it will only get better, and if there are real problems, they will manifest themselves, over time. So take your time. Do as Bond would do. 

There is a separate course for those married to foreigners but living in Thailand. Course notes have been leaked:

When he grumbles: Ignore

When he complains about corruption in Thailand: ignore

When he smokes and drinks too much: make sure his life insurance is paid up and Will is up to date.

When he complains about double pricing: sympathetically agree while quietly paying the demanded amount at entrance booth.

Introduce your boyfriend as "cousin" or "brother"

Initially introduce your children from another marriage as "niece/nephew"

Ensure spousal pension paperworks are in order.