50 Thai provinces warned by DDPM of heavy rains

webfact

50 provinces warned by DDPM of heavy rains

ANG THONG, 1 September 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has warned at-risk areas in 50 provinces to be on alert for heavy rains. 

A monsoon system passing over the lower northeastern region has prompted the DDPM to issue a warning to areas in 50 provinces for the next few days.

A monsoon in the southwest and across the Andaman Sea has also become a cause for a concern. Both systems are likely to result in rains across the country as well as flashfloods, overflows and landslides. Twenty-four monitoring has been setup. 

Flooding in Ang Thong province has spread after the Chao Phraya Dam increased its release with over 200 households in Pa Mok district of the province inundated and another combined 512 in surrounding areas experiencing the same fate.

More than 7,000 Rai of farmland has also been affected. However, a release rate at the dam of 1,500 cubic meters per second will be maintained for the time being due to continuing rains. 

Farmers in Lopburi have kicked off early harvesting in line with water management policies that warned them to collect their crops before flooding intensifies and to allow their farmland to be used as reservoirs.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-09-01

6 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

And just WHICH provinces are they?????

Idiots! 

Given that there are only 76 provinces in total, be easier to list the ones that May not flood, but who would want to actually put their name to a statement that may have repercussions!

9 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

And just WHICH provinces are they?????

Idiots! 

I think we can safely assume that the provinces under threat have been warned.

Those idiots, as you call them, are under no obligation to 'megaphone' the details to TVF, who are only likely to bad mouth it anyway!

8 hours ago, CGW said:

Given that there are only 76 provinces in total, be easier to list the ones that May not flood, but who would want to actually put their name to a statement that may have repercussions!

The DDPM appear to have had little compunction in putting their name to a statement here - and their failure to at least follow your suggestion could have the clearly undesirable consequence of whipping up totally unnecessary panic in the unaffected provinces which have not been identified

Edited by OJAS

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Those idiots, as you call them, are under no obligation to 'megaphone' the details to TVF, who are only likely to bad mouth it anyway!

I think that it would be foolish to assume that this warning has somehow been specifically targeted at the affected provinces.

IMHO the DDPM could (and should) have "megaphoned" (as you put it) the details simply through the production of maps of LOS showing the provinces at risk in amber or red (depending on the expected severity of the heavy rains in their areas) with the unaffected provinces shown in green, just as the British Met Office do when issuing weather warnings in the UK, for example.

Edited by OJAS

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

I think that it would be foolish to assume that this warning has somehow been specifically targeted at the affected provinces.

IMHO the DDPM could (and should) have "megaphoned" (as you put it) the details simply through the production of maps of LOS showing the provinces at risk in amber or red (depending on the expected severity of the heavy rains in their areas) with the unaffected provinces shown in green, just as the British Met Office do when issuing weather warnings in the UK, for example.

You cannot give specific warnings to threatened areas until the rain arrives, the reservoirs begin to fill and the rivers start to rise. Until then they can only put out a 'general warning'  That's exactly what the DDPM have done and that's exactly how it works in the UK.

17 hours ago, CGW said:

Remember there are 77 provinces, but not recently...

33 minutes ago, Surasak said:

50 Provinces in the lower northeastern region? That's two thirds of the country crammed into a small part of the country. How many shoe horns were used?:passifier:

Article 44, anything is possible! :shock1:

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

spoilsport........

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

DDPM website English version doesn't have anything to indicate this. But there is a lot of info in the Thai version for those who can read Thai and search for this info . http://www.disaster.go.th/ . maybe someone can find it and share the link for clarification.

This appears to be the latest info posted yesterday but only referring to 5 provinces (according to my auto-translator)!

http://www.disaster.go.th/th/cdetail-11642-disaster_news-206-1/ปภ.รายงานยังคงมีสถานการณ์อุทกภัยใน+5+จังหวัด+พร้อมประสานจังหวัดเร่งช่วยเหลือ+–+ฟื้นฟูพื้นที่ประสบภัยให้กลับสู่ภาวะปกติโดยเร็ว

It becomes apparent that more quality controllable water storage is required, on the one hand unpredictable monsoon rains are falling where the dams are already over or near capacity. Later in the year areas are experiencing water shortage.

The current solution increasing the release volumes from the dams exacerbates the problem of flooding, not really acceptable when the flooded land contain populated areas. Then when more water could be utilised later in the year there is none!!

My TW comes from a small village to the east of Sakon Nakhon. It is, of course prone to flooding and was so recently.

So I asked Mrs Moon if the village got any warning before a flood comes: 

'Yes' she said.

'Who gives the warning?' I asked.

'We know when the flood is coming'.

'Yes, but who tells you?'

'The old folk know. The farmers know. They look at the sky, they watch how their animals behave. They see how wild life behaves. They look at the water in the stream and in the fields. So we know when the water is coming'.

These people have living with and dealing with inundation for millennia. They're in tune with their environment in a way that we westerners do not understand.

Why don't we just leave Thais to get on with it in the way they know best.

I noticed that nobody blamed the Americans recently when Houston got flooded out!

You would leave rural people 'to get on with it', homes consistently flooded, because, they can anticipate, and deal with the aftermath after years of practice!!

What happened to progress, improvement, welfare of the rural communities?

Do we then ignore Malaria, Dengue, Zika, because for years the rural Thai for years have just 'got on with it'

16 hours ago, 473geo said:

You would leave rural people 'to get on with it', homes consistently flooded, because, they can anticipate, and deal with the aftermath after years of practice!!

Do we then ignore Malaria, Dengue, Zika, because for years the rural Thai for years have just 'got on with it'

They do get on with it. I live out in the sticks and the road alongside my wall was a single mud track. Middle of last year they came along and laid a 2 foot drain and a concrete surface on the road. Over the last few years all the roads in this area have had drains put down.

Of course you are perfectly free to believe there is no progress. Like many on here, if its not seen, its not happening.

16 hours ago, 473geo said:

The topic is  flooding, about which nothing much can be done. It is down to the vagaries of the weather and the unfortunate topography of the land.

Regarding the other matters, which are off topic, progress has been made and continues to be made on many of these issues.

But I understand your concerns. Until Thailand moves toward a more egalitarian society, progress will continue to be slow.

And that takes us well off topic.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Moonlover

19 hours ago, 473geo said:

It becomes apparent that more quality controllable water storage is required, on the one hand unpredictable monsoon rains are falling where the dams are already over or near capacity. Later in the year areas are experiencing water shortage.

The current solution increasing the release volumes from the dams exacerbates the problem of flooding, not really acceptable when the flooded land contain populated areas. Then when more water could be utilised later in the year there is none!!

I disagree with you... its always better to release water when you can and at a lower rate then holding it and when the dam is at its upper limits release it at a much higher rate. 2011 should have taught you something. They had to release more and at the worst possible time (with high tides in October little water draining opportunities).

If you ever seen the river near Ayutaya... you will see the current revers as the tides revers that would give you a good indication about how hard it is to drain water in the month October when the tides are even higher.

The only options are to build bigger water storage dams and hope for the best. The weather is extremer and I for one am happy they release water to prevent being forced to release water later on at a much higher rate in unfavorable draining times.

I saw on some western news channel sky/BBC ?....a reporter standing in raw sewage in a flooded street in Bangladesh and he said that the locals were not happy with the governments not giving them enough warning about the annual Monsoon rains...........................the word annual is an indication that it happens every year and has probably done so for the last 12,000 years.....the Thai weather guys issue these warnings now to cover their ass in case they breach something in article 44......

Equally more stupid are that some people of Houston I have seen admitting that they have now been flooded out of their homes 3 times.......

some people never get the message or the hint do they ?

Thais have even forgotton to build their homes on stilts in the last 40 years. When I was a kid National Geographic only showed houses in the Far East raised at least 8 feet from ground level.

Google this and you will see - "Traditional Thai house pictures."

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree with you... its always better to release water when you can and at a lower rate then holding it and when the dam is at its upper limits release it at a much higher rate. 2011 should have taught you something. They had to release more and at the worst possible time (with high tides in October little water draining opportunities).

If you ever seen the river near Ayutaya... you will see the current revers as the tides revers that would give you a good indication about how hard it is to drain water in the month October when the tides are even higher.

The only options are to build bigger water storage dams and hope for the best. The weather is extremer and I for one am happy they release water to prevent being forced to release water later on at a much higher rate in unfavorable draining times.

Maybe I did not explain well enough Rob - or maybe you were looking to disagree :smile:

my comment " It becomes apparent that more quality controllable water storage is required" ie building more dams, would indeed serve to negate the gambling on weather patterns and releasing water at the most inopportune times to increase flooding.

Also a point not to be missed and frequently made, this time by Lonewolf

"Thais have even forgotton to build their homes on stilts in the last 40 years."

Many of the home owners in my area of Issan have raised the floor level their property over the years I have known them, steady away a couple of truck loads of soil a year. Many new homes are built well above 'ground level' in the countryside.

Makes you wonder if these smart guys should perhaps be running the country :smile: