Smoking in enclosed Pattaya area restaurants

Jingthing

So... You don't  choke with smoke  from the bikes and cars on the street??? 

But one smoker sitting somewhere did the harm? 

Is the restaurant  was 2 square  meter? 

I'm  no smoker, have asthma and  COPD... But I have no problem if people smoke around me until it is at least 20 to 1 it doesn't  bother  me. 

Cars created pollution  are making me dizzy but definitely  not one smoker in the room. 

It can be unpleasant  smell but not reaction you experienced. 

Burning  throat ..???

What kind of food was it.... 

To much chilli.... maybe. 

This days hysteria  is most common reason for many allergies. 

When I walked in there was one smoker. The smell was noticeable because it's a very small shop house stuffy place. Honestly I don't even know if they have aircon. I've been about four times and I've seen them open the door for a while to air out cigarette smoke. I can tolerate one smoker in there.

But what happened last night is all the people at a large table all lit up at once. I wasn't even looking but then I started to cough and saw them all smoking. They saw me looking and heard me coughing. What a special human moment.

Yes my throat is still irritated and I can even still taste smoke in my mouth the next day. Mouthwash isn't strong enough.

As far as street smoke the only time I find that really bad is near the back of a baht bus when they have a very faulty exhaust system. Even that not nearly as bad as this restaurant experience.

Believe me or not. I don't care.

Something I might try because one guy there speaks a little English is if I walk in and it's too smoky I'll tell him why I can't eat there then. Maybe over time the owners might realize that in that particular space smoking isn't good. Not likely but no harm in trying.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DD13 said:

Every smoker (without exception) deep down knows smoking will kill them 

(a horrible and painful death, by the way).......sadly those people are too weak willed to be able to stop..... NO nobody will convince me differently

It must be of great comfort to you to be so morally superior. This is a different culture to western nations where the wowsers have captured the public. Having said that, I avoid smoking in air conditioned restaurants and the like. I am compelled to not smoke in Oz, even in the outdoor areas that places added after smoking inside was banned. Surely we weak minded bastards can stop being tormented by witch burning zealots.

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I can remember those great days when you walked into an English pub full of smoke and beer essence...Sadly gone now...sad-face.gif.3818efdb2af7bcc605dc7eaf12232fbb.gif

Indeed, I can remember the overwhelming stink of smoke when getting home....

....In pubs now all you can smell now is 'Old Mens Farts and Cheap Perfume'.....  

I think the Solution: Ban Smoking indoors, but also ban people from guffing and ban women from bathing in Eau de teargas....:passifier:

Seriously though guys... stop farting so much !!!...  oh, and the smoking ban indoors really is a huge improvement.

More on topic: There is only one bar / restaurant in Bangkok I know of which does not adhere to the ban and its still quite Popular. 

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As mentioned, Thai law prohibits smoking inside public air-conditioned areas and also anywhere where food and drinks are served.

I know of only one air-con restaurant in which the law is (or was) regularly ignored: Jamesons. I went once, sampled the smoke and have never returned.

I know of many non-air-con bars that allow smoking but I very rarely go to bars, so not much of an issue. At one little noodle stall I go to the lady owner gives anyone lighting up a piece of her mind, which is good. If I am in an open-air venue and someone is smoking I just try and get myself upwind of them.

Should it be entirely banned in all public places? Yes.

Besides Jamesons, you can add Casa Pascal and Aroi (Sukumvit Soi 89) to the list. These are large air-conditioned restaurants and have special "smoking" tables in a section of the seating area. They are violating the law (and spirit of the law) and I no longer patronize them. 

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But you need to be aware of large cultural differences. The group that bothered me (and the restaurant owners) come from a culture that sees behavior that many westerners would consider as very inconsiderate as totally normal.  

So why the hell do you go in such places JT...........food is available all over Pattaya :whistling:

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

So why the hell do you go in such places JT...........food is available all over Pattaya :whistling:

I already explained why I go there. You can get "food" everywhere, but they have a special kind of food that is not easily found, and I like it. I hope that's OK with your highness. 

Of course, if it was just some kind of generic "food" I wouldn't ever go back. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I already explained why I go there. You can get "food" everywhere, but they have a special kind of food that is not, and I like it. I hope that's OK with your highness. 

Try "meals on wheels" next time JT....if they don,t care about the "hygiene" in the eating area goodness knows what the kitchen must be like :whistling:

sir is showing enough respect "your highness" is a little OTT..........:clap2:

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Try "meals on wheels" next time JT....if they don,t care about the "hygiene" in the eating area goodness knows what the kitchen must be like :whistling:

sir is showing enough respect "your highness" is a little OTT..........:clap2:

They don't have a delivery service. I can barely communicate with them at all even in the restaurant. I'm sure their hygiene is terrible as well! 

4 hours ago, transam said:

But I like to smoke, and have a beer, nothing to do with being weak willed in my case chummy...smiley-drinking-beer.gif.d0b26a4c1b5d9e50bfc62192104b313c.gif

All addicts "like" their drug of choice.

Of course it's nothing to do with weak will.

It's addiction.

I wouldn't light up in an enclosed air con restaurant , not fair to those who expect the premises to be smoke free. Those who blatantly ignore non smoking signs are <deleted> in my opinion though if they were non smokers they would probably still be <deleted>.

To those pompous fools on this thread who want to call all smokers idiots , well perhaps we are but no doubt they would get all itsy if we pointed out their particularly unpleasant habits.

I dont drive but oddly enough have never stood on a street corner hurling abuse at every passing car , perhaps I will start when intolerence overwhelms me.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are not on any social media.

I can't name and shame them here.

It's against forum policy. 

But to be fair, I know the place and already knew they allow smoking.

So I made the choice to go in there knowing that and probably will again.

But certainly not nearly as often after tonight's experience. 

The nationality that they mostly serve are very often restaurant smokers. Say no more. 

From their POV, it would hurt their business much more to ban smoking than to cater to people like me that really can't stand it. 

Anyway, does anyone know if what they are allowing there is even LEGAL? 

Hasn't been legal for years, and any place that caters for smokers has to have an outdoor area. If I remember correctly, it came in during Thaksin's reign.

I thought you would have known that.

Anyone that smokes in front of strangers without asking first is an inconsiderate oaf, IMO, but there is surely a circle of hell reserved for people that smoke cigars in public places.

"I walked in and there was a large table and one person was smoking. I was annoyed but still decided to eat there"

A real champion....

But I agree with you, people smoking inside are real scummbaggs and should be shot dead on the spot.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are not on any social media.

I can't name and shame them here.

It's against forum policy. 

But to be fair, I know the place and already knew they allow smoking.

So I made the choice to go in there knowing that and probably will again.

But certainly not nearly as often after tonight's experience. 

The nationality that they mostly serve are very often restaurant smokers. Say no more. 

From their POV, it would hurt their business much more to ban smoking than to cater to people like me that really can't stand it. 

Anyway, does anyone know if what they are allowing there is even LEGAL? 

You have clearly been in one of the chinese, arab or indian place about which you have written here before...

You should tell which one or I will list them all, then people will know that they should not visit ANY of these places !

Edited by bbpbbp

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's one thing being a smoker, it's another thing forcing other people to smoke.

But you need to be aware of large cultural differences. The group that bothered me (and the restaurant owners) come from a culture that sees behavior that many westerners would consider as very inconsiderate as totally normal.  

They can see it as they want, they are uneducated sccuummbagggss anyway ! From anywhere in the world nobody with half a brain would smoke indoor in a restaurant !

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I know, Brut doesn't kill people. Anyone seen a smoker after having half their face removed ( cancer surgery ), as I have, would give up on the spot.

Anyone that uses Brut has most certainly lost face.....

Children can have cancer of the face that have never smoked...

5 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

I was in Bruno's Restaurant. The owner wasn't present and one of the waiters asked me if I would object if the people on the table next to me smoked. I told him it was an indoor and air-conditioned area and that I strongly objected to smoking. They lit up anyway. I had finished my meal and deducted the tip. On the way out I told the table that I had informed the Police oh their illegal smoking.  They put out their cigarettes so my bluff worked. 

Thank you ! Now I am SURE that I will NEVER go to Bruno also !

You have clearly been in one of the chinese, arab or indian place about which you have written here before...

You should tell which one or I will list them all, then people will know that they should not visit ANY of these places !

Nice try but this is a very new place and I don't intend to post about them. For two reasons - - the place is very inaccessible because of the menu and also the smoke situation. I don't only post about recommendable restaurants but in this case I don't want to publicize them at all unless they change their smoking policy. I don't expect they ever will.

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems most farang smokers seem to change into complete a holes in Thailand by smoking in every restaurant possible near as many children as possible. I really felt like throwing some farang off the KFC balcony in Central as he stood next to the no smoking sign. 

I always laugh when I was on a plane and waiting to disembark seeing all the nicotine addicts with unlit ciggies in mouths. So addicted they had to at least have the cancer stick in mouth so they didn't have to spend a second more before lighting up.

Doesn't happen now of course as they can't smoke in the terminal either- good job too.

I almost got beaten up by one addicted thug in Riyadh immigration when I pointed to the large NO SMOKING sign over his head, as he lit up.

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

Besides Jamesons, you can add Casa Pascal and Aroi (Sukumvit Soi 89) to the list. These are large air-conditioned restaurants and have special "smoking" tables in a section of the seating area. They are violating the law (and spirit of the law) and I no longer patronize them. 

Thank you, 3 more places in the list, I will write very nice trip reviews for them...