Thailand is the Most Religious Country in the World

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-69802500-1428956663_thumb.

Thailand has been voted the most religious country in the world. According to the Guardian, 94% of people state that they are religious in the country. China, on the other hand, has a very drastic difference. Only 6% of people in China said they were religious, and 61% state that they are atheists.

Other countries on the bottom of the list, in terms of religious beliefs, were Japan with 13% of people claiming to be religious, Sweden at 19%, Czech Republic at 23% and Hong Kong at 26%.

The most religious countries, excluding Thailand, in the top 5 had 93% of people stating they were religious. The following countries are all tied for 2nd: Armenia, Bangladesh, Georgia and Morocco.

Interestingly, the data shows that religion is on the rise. People age 25 to 34 are the most religious. When it comes to education and religion, people with no education are most religious, with 80 percent stating they are religious. Those that have attended secondary school or university were also highly religious with 60% of those polled being religious.

Researchers from Pew Research Centre also conducted a survey that states atheism will decline globally in the next 35 years except in the West.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-13

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People saying they are religious doesn't mean anything and certainly doesn't prove they are.

So many Thais go through the motions of being ' good ' Buddhists yet are up to all sorts of things that are definitely not on and all the merit making, pandering to monks and wearing amulets etc doesn't count for anything.

Like so much here it's all show and no substance.

People saying they are religious doesn't mean anything and certainly doesn't prove they are.

So many Thais go through the motions of being ' good ' Buddhists yet are up to all sorts of things that are definitely not on and all the merit making, pandering to monks and wearing amulets etc doesn't count for anything.

It's Walt Disney Buddhism, religion with the level of a kids play to 'earn' 'good luck' but has nothing of the core values of real Buddhism. I would actually call it abuse and insult of Buddhism, but they don't know better. Seem to not even care about karma...

WatBupparam1.jpg

No it isn't.. the Philippines is the most religious country in the world - if devout Christians countwhistling.gif

If Catholics are Christian that is - many Catholics say "I'm not Christian, I'm Catholic..sad.png"

In Thailand, pseudo, ersatz Buddhism perhaps doesn't exactly qualify for religious Dogma, as stated by several astute posters already..

No it isn't.. the Philippines is the most religious country in the world - if devout Christians countwhistling.gif

Guess so, they are all 'God fearing' as they call it themselves. Although the Catholic church is more like a curse for the country, it gives them a lot of support in their hard lives.

I am completely done with Thai "buddhism", it is not buddhism at all. It is animist superstition mixed with commerce... Went to a wat a couple of days ago: had to give money to have the monk tell your fortune (real monks can not handle or own money). The kutis had sattelite dishes (real monks don't watch tv), they were driving a motorbike(real monks can not drive vehicles), they sold drums with buffalo skins on it (monks can not sell stuff for profit and most certainly can not kill animals). I told my wife It was bullshit, she kind of agreed but still better be safe than sorry so just hand over the bahts and listen to the old mans "advice". Not religion, just paying for magic...

The sad thing is that if you speak to a Thai about this, they honestly believe that they ARE religious, and that all the 'perversions' of Buddhism that we read about in Thailand, is actually the norm and part and parcel of being a true Buddhist.

For me, that is the really sad part

I am completely done with Thai "buddhism", it is not buddhism at all. It is animist superstition mixed with commerce... Went to a wat a couple of days ago: had to give money to have the monk tell your fortune (real monks can not handle or own money). The kutis had sattelite dishes (real monks don't watch tv), they were driving a motorbike(real monks can not drive vehicles), they sold drums with buffalo skins on it (monks can not sell stuff for profit and most certainly can not kill animals). I told my wife It was bullshit, she kind of agreed but still better be safe than sorry so just hand over the bahts and listen to the old mans "advice". Not religion, just paying for magic...

Interesting post, interesting perspective and I'm sure very commonplace throughout LoS.

I don't mean Mr.S being done with Buddhism but rather the practices he described.

Saudi Arabia....I think they kill you if you are not religious

It makes one wonder how many muslim nations were in this poll...

Saudi Arabia....I think they kill you if you are not religious

It makes one wonder how many muslim nations were in this poll...

I was thinking the same thing.

I remember going out to dinner with a two other couples. One of the women mentioned that today was a vegetarian day for her. Although I couldn't care less what she did or did not eat, I asked her why and she started explaing about her buddhist belief system. I couldn't resist it, I said ' so you can't eat meat today but you are happy to have that $2000 piece of dead cow hanging off your shoulder?' At first she didn't get it until I pointed to her handbag. 'Lost for words' is an expression which about sums up the reply.

I love all you experts in Buddhism out here! You all don't know anything about what Thais believe in their hearts and you only show the ignorance that landed you in a third world farm village or dead end ESL job with no other options in your life!

You all don't know anything about what Thais believe in their hearts and you only show the ignorance that landed you in a third world farm village or dead end ESL job with no other options in your life!

Yep, we're all rednecks here. Whatever many Thais believe in their hearts, it has nothing to do with Buddhism

Amen to that brother.....

Thai TALK means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Actions???? lol e.g. Are there any "religious Thais" driving on the roads????? From all appearances I think not. lol

I think you will find that Buddhism is not an religion but an Idology set out by the Buddha back in the day. Also the Thai's do not practice what was preached in the true sense of the teachings !

I don't know what is funnier - the claim that Thailand is the most religious country or saying that they were voted most religious.

Another quality report from The Guardian. The competition with Private Eye is getting fierce! ;-)

If worshipping the gods of money counts, that yes, Thailand will up there in good company

with other money loving pious people,

People go to temples and pray, give alms to less than holy monks, asking for good fortunes

and atone for their sins, donate and give food to monks just in case, while some are pure at hearts

others are just praying out of fear of reprisals having angered the god of their many misdeeds....

Archived