Help needed with Linksys modem

cmsally

I am so glad I came across this topic. I just bought a Linksys WRT54G router and tried to set it up to TRUE service through their supplied modem. Can't get the ###### thing to work. It finds the LAN connection but won't connect to internet. All the lights on the front panel say the right bits are connected. HELP! :o

Reading this I think I could have made a better choice of router if I had of done my homework first.

Anyone have suggestions , do I ditch the router, or is there a way to make it work.

Don't ditch the router.

Set your browser to URL 192.168.1.1 which will take you to the router setup page, where there are several boxes that must be correctly completed. This information must come from TRUE, or preferably from another poster using TRUE in your area.

Wait overnight, and if no-one volunteers the setup information, contact your local TRUE office.

I cannot help you myself because I don't use TRUE, I use Loxinfo, which probably has different settings.

I think justwilliam is thinking of an ADSL modem/router, the WRT54G won't need info from True, it's a switch, router and wi-fi access point but not an ADSL modem, all the info it probably needs is DHCP configuration from the next router up. The equivalent model including a modem is the WAG54G.

You say you are connecting it to the True modem, do you know what make/model or kind of modem it is? Can you connect just using the True modem? I assume you have a True ADSL connection?

If you can connect using the True modem, and if the True modem is also a router, then you should be able to get it to work.

Hi just to simplify things a bit I am using the modem supplied with TRUE which is Zyxel 900

I am trying to fit in the router so I can plug in more than one computer.

I think the problem is I am using TRUE cable and there are a few tricky settings.

Cmsally,

Do you want to replace the ZyXEL Prestige 900 with the Linksys WRT54G? If so, and only to be able to connected more computers, why did you not bought a simple switch for a few hunderd Bath.

If you currently using a small program to "dail-up" or connect to the True network, you need to uninstall that.

Follow the instructions in your manual to get into the setup of your modem/router, probably this is located on address 192.168.1.1 (open your internet browser and give this address and push enter).

You now get a pop-up window asking for the login name and password.. Look in your manual to find what Linksys is using as default login name and password.

I belief the Linksys has a quick setup, in which you can change the basic settings, most of the time enough to get online. Use the settings I write in my previous post to change the settings to the correct values

I can't find any info on a Zyxel "900", only a 900 series, but I am assuming it is an ADSL modem with 1 ethernet port. If you can use the True cable to plug a computer into the Zyxel and successfully access the internet then you are almost done.

If that works, then take the plug out from the computer and plug it into the WAN port of the WRT54G, then connect the computer to one of the LAN ports and check the IP configuration of the router and of the computer and make sure they are all talking.

Remember that although your computer and both routers are probably set to get IP addresses automatically by DHCP, your Zyxel may not get DNS servers automatically from True, you'll need to put them into one of the routers, or into the LAN connections settings of each computer.

What are the tricky settings?

Hi All.

We are presuming that the initial configuration works (i.e.: pc-->true modem using an Ethernet cable) and you can get on the internet ok. When you use thei setup do you need to do anything on your pc to log on? If what do you do? If you dont use any program to login then you should be able to unplug the Ethernet cable from you PC and plug the cable into the Internet port on the Router you purchased. Then you should use another Ethernet cable to connect your pc to the router on any of the 4 ports.

I would then do 2 things. Make sure you have an IP address, go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and hit enter, you should see an address for your ethernet card of 192.168.1.10 (or something similar). If you do not then your router is not set up correctly. Number two is make sue that there is connectivity between the router and the modem. You should see activity lights on the router and the modem. Sometimes you need a straight cable and other times a cross cable is required.

I hope this helps.

It should be a straight cable to connect to the router!!

Crossover cables are only for PC to PC setups where there is no router or hub!

Access your router by typing in 192.168.1.1 on the URL line.

You should see the screen from the router.

On the logon page leave the name field blank and put admin in the password field.

The select the Wizard and follow the steps.

Judging from the manual it is very good, even showing you the physical connections you need.

Leave the host name and domain name blank.

In step 8 select PPPoE and be sure to enter your True logon and password.

This information is essential as it is passed to the modem to allow it to logon on your behalf.

At this stage you should be in business, with a conenction to the internet.

Keep talking to us and we will help you sort it out. :o

Hi Again

As far as I understand it the WRT54G is not an ADSL gateway, it is an ethernet router so it does not have a pppoe client on it. This means that it can not be used to access the ADSL network directly, it needs to used with an ADSL modem like the one supplied by True. It should be as simple as installing it between the PC and ADSL modem (PC--->WRT54G--->ADSL Modem). There are a few simple things that can cause problems here (nad once again I am presuming the intial pc-->ADSL Modem config worked fine).

1. Logon procedure, is there a progam installed on the PC to log you onto the adsl connection? If so this will not work with the new setup as there is no direct connection between the PC and modem anymore.

2. Cabling, physical connections are easy to get wrong (and luckily easy to fix). make sure that you are plugeed into the correct ports (PC into one of the 4 switch ports and Modem into the Internet port). Also make sure when you plug the cables in that you see a link light on the device (the led should be off before you plug in and should be lit when you plug in) if it is not lit after you plug try a different cable. Cross cables are used to link like devices together as astral said (basically the cross the transmit and receive pairs just like a hub or switch would) but many times the equipment manufacturer will supply such a cable with their devices for use and if you do not use it it wont work. But it is easy to check as you will have no link indicator on the sitch or pc.

Good luck!!

As shipped, the Linksys firmware crashes under heavy peer-to-peer network traffic, such as BitTorrent. The reason for this crash is that Linksys has programmed the router to keep track of old connections for five days. This five day limit quickly overwhelms the router when there are a high number of network connections, such as with BitTorrent, and can only be resolved by power cycling the router.

It seems that for the moment a permanently fix for this issue is only available for pre-v5 firmware routers. I belief that Linksys just released a firmware for the latest revision 5,6 and 7 models (with Broadcom BCM5352EKBG chipset or Atheros AR2317 chipset).

Personal I'm not a supporter of Linksys all-in-one routers, they all seem to need a amateur techno geek to operate.

And the Linksys is a full all-in-one router including a ADSL modem.....

Edited by Richard-BKK

According to the user manual on page 14 you need to plug in the modem to the Internet port on the router then configure the login information by using the wizard. Sorry I was wrong about it being as simple as just plugging it in.

Page 14 only says "The Internet port is where you will connect your broadband Internet connection"

But again since the introduction of this all-in-one router Linksys change it so many times that who knows what it is. The first release of the WRT54G did run Linux and was one of the world best all-in-one routers, then after the 3th revision Linksys must have had the idea to build it from cheaper hardware to make profit. The first router released as WRT54G had 16mb memory and did run a real OS which even supported programs from third-party sources, the current WRT54G has only 2mb internal memory and the firmware is lite version VxWorks, they also change the processor and chipset several times.

It was once normal, make a very good product, get all the best reviews for the product, then change it so it is cheaper to make. And you sell it like candy, because everybody reads the very good reviews.

The last is why I not like Linksys ..... You always have to check what you buy...

Edited by Richard-BKK

While l'm sure you will get it working eventually :o there is another way of solving set up problems that l found in my research. On a lot of bulletin boards posters mention DD-WRT, a third party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL and various other 802.11g wireless routers. Lots of positive comment about DD-WRT to be found including this introduction in Wikipedia. There are links in Wikipedia on how to flash the firmware for individual models, something to consider if you run into a deadend trying to solve your present problems.

Reading the manual for the WRT54G the setup seems easy enough but the reality for many people is different. Reading reviews for various routers invariably they are split 50-50 between comments like "l had it set up in 10 minutes, so easy, so much better than my old router" and "I spent 13 hours and spoke to 5 customer support officers at Linksys/D-Link/Cisco/NetGear and it still doesn't work" :D

With uploading a third-party firmware, be 100% sure that you use the right version for the right hardware revision.

Also uploading a third-party firmware into your Linksys WRT54G may get you into warranty problems.

Robhudd: Yes I see it also, it seems that when Linksys talks about the Internet WAN port, they talk about a Ethernet RJ-45 and not as most manufacturers a telephone RJ-11 plug.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, in that case Cmsally has to change the ZyXel 900 into bridge mode (if supported)

Edited by Richard-BKK

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunately my problems seem to compounded at the moment.

The computer I am using cannot even find the LAN connection let alone access the router to change settings.

The LAN setting in Network Connections has just disappeared!! :o

It was something that was found automatically when I first plugged in and since then has sat there as either connected or disconnected. Now the whole thing has just GONE.

I've tried plugging in cable using router and direct to modem. Neither brings it back.

I've plugged in the same LAN cable to my laptop with no problems. It finds it and can connect to internet but not using router (only directly with modem).

Ho Hum, back to the drawing board!

If you are not connected to it that would explain it. You should be connecting to the router with an ethernet adapter (LAN connection port).

What is the loxinfo PPP adapter? - a modem I suspect, if so, I would disconnect it before continuing.

If you have an ethernet port installed on your computer it's connection state should be listed by the ipconfig command. If it isn't listed, then it isn't installed properly and you can't access or use the router until it is. If it is physically installed but not operating then use Device Manager to see if it has been detected, and (re)install a driver if necessary.

If you need help with this, get a command prompt and use "ipconfig /all" and post the results and whether you physically have an ethernet port.

Edited by silvero

It isn't there under ipconfig/all

and doesn't appear under device manager either

This would explain I guess why it disapperared from the network connections.

But it did literally disappear by itself.

Each computer will automatically install it when ethernet cable plugged in and my laptop still has it and working. It doesn't come back by plugging in ethernet cable, restarting modem and router etc etc.

How do I get the LAN connection back???

Any ideas again??

The ethernet adapter doesn't require a cable to be inserted in order to be installed, it should be there anyway.

This is probably a hardware problem, but it depends on what kind of computer you have as to what you can do about it.

Is the problem with a desktop or notebook computer?

If you are using a desktop, is it a branded desktop with recovery CDs etc

Is it a generic desktop, with various driver disks for the hardware?

If it is a desktop, is the ethernet adapter an add-on card or part of the motherboard?

First, pull out any connection to the ethernet port, reboot and scan for hardware changes from Device Manager to see if it comes back. You may need the device drivers if it does.

If it doesn't, then you could try:

Desktop PC:

If the network adapter is an add-on card you can try physically removing and reinserting it.

If the network adapter is on the motherboard you could try reinstalling the chipset drivers, the motherboard installation CD is the one to use for this.

Check the manufacturer's website support for known issues.

You can buy a new PCI ethernet adapter, they are very cheap.

Notebook PC:

To reinstall all the hardware you might have to use the recovery CDs, fairly drastic.

Buy a USB/PCMCIA ethernet adapter.

Hi its a desktop and was just recently ie last week, upgraded to XP

The LAN connection was fine after I got it back and I used it with TRUE.

It disappeared sometime while trying to fix up router :o

I am going to take it back to shop where it was upgraded and get them to sort it out and then try again with the router. I'll see if any of their technicians are up to fixing up the router. Trouble is in the shop they use TOT ADSL and not TRUE.

Anyway maybe they can do it.

I'll come back and post progress in a couple of days.

Thanks for your help so far!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's me again with the linksys router and true cable problems! Still can't get it going.

Got the router set up on a more reliable computer but still can't get the internet connection. Been through all the previous messages and everything fits so there must be something in the set up that's missing. Any ideas anyone (as you all crawl into the recesses of your computer desks to try and escape this topic again!)

1. Internet connection works perfectly when not using the router

2. LAN connection no problem

3. All the correct lights show on the modem and router

OK from ipconfig

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.49.150

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.21.48.1

PPP adapter true:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 61.91.194.38

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 61.91.194.38

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

Maybe some clues lurking in here!!

I have that same router. The instructions said to make sure to run the software before plugging in any cables. In fact the four ports were taped over and printed on the tape was; Run software before connecting. I did that, took the tape off and hooked everything up. The lights came on and it works great. I have Ipstar. The cable from Ipstar plugs into the port that says Internet and the hard wire from the computer plugs into any one of the four other ports. My laptop connected with the wireless immediately and it works anywhere around the house. The connection strength says excellent.

I am so glad I came across this topic. I just bought a Linksys WRT54G router and tried to set it up to TRUE service through their supplied modem. Can't get the ###### thing to work. It finds the LAN connection but won't connect to internet. All the lights on the front panel say the right bits are connected. HELP! :o

Reading this I think I could have made a better choice of router if I had of done my homework first.

Anyone have suggestions , do I ditch the router, or is there a way to make it work.

:o I think TRUE cable must have something that has to be specially set, as I did all the software and cable connections correctly. I'm trying to access my modem to see how it was set up and what IP address it uses but the

configuration should be at 192.168.100.1 and that brings up nothing.

FWIW cmsally has TRUE broadband via cable TV and not ADSL. The Zyxel Prestige 900 series is a cable modem, with a single ethernet port.

cmsally can you confirm the you are able to access the internet when connecting a single PC to your cable modem? That is, without the Linksys device being used?

I suspect a bad/wrong cable is being used when inserting the Linksys device into the network.

Try connecting the PC directly to the Linksys device, removing any connections to the Zyxel cable modem, open a browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Does that give you access to the Linksys device management screen?