Britain could still reverse Brexit, former minister Heseltine says

webfact

7 hours ago, citybiker said:

Manufacturing decline?
Key points:
Expectations for domestic order growth (+16%) are the most upbeat since April 2015 (+18%), whereas expected growth in export orders (+28%) is the highest in four decades (+37%)
Expectations for output growth (+28%) are the highest since April 2014
Unit costs growth (+5%) are expected to moderate further over the next quarter and domestic price inflation (+9%) is anticipated to be more subdued
Investment in training and retraining in the year ahead is expected to increase at the strongest pace (+28%) since January 2015.
http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturers-report-strong-output-growth/

Cameron's attempt was simply going through the diplomatic process & nothing more, as for catastrophic recession?

Project fear attempted that & blatantly failed, uncharted waters are always challenging, it's adapting & overcoming these challenges is the difference between the strong & weak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do realise we are still in the EU and the single market. Its going to be interesting to see what transpires when we leave.

ONS: UK experiences a notable slowdown

Today’s report shows that Britain’s economy has experienced a “ a notable slowdown in the first half of this year”, says ONS Head of National Accounts Darren Morgan said:

That’s because GDP only grew by 0.2% in January-to-March, and then by 0.3% in April-to-June - both below the long-term growth trend.

Morgan explains:

“While services such as retail, and film production and distribution showed some improvement in the second quarter, a weaker performance from construction and manufacturing pulled down overall growth.”

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

In case  you forgot the general election happened a few months ago and it was the main focus of the election.. As the Lib Dems were the only party opposing Brexit, why didn't they get more MP's.?  Why can't you accept the democratic vote of the people. Many have but some posters here, continually bang on about another referendum, "nobody knew what they were voting for", "people are undereducated", blah, blah.

It would also seem that some posters want the UK to go into financial meltdown,' to say' We told you so and lets rejoin the EU. Very unpatriotic IMHO

Perhaps you should try reading my post again. Where does it say I haven't accepted the vote where have I said people are uneducated. I was stating the obvious that while the British people have voted by a slim majority to leave the EU nothing stops a future government from reversing that position or must we accept that the position is irreversible for all time now that you have won. 

Nor have I have used the words financial meltdown as a result of the vote to leave, as I showed previously that was entirely in your imagination and when I asked you to produce some evidence to back up such wild claims you failed miserably. 

3 hours ago, adammike said:

38% of the electorate voted to leave,a minority of the British people voted to leave so they won on the first past the post system, hardly the will of the people.hold a referendum today you will get one result tomorrow another.Its not over yet.

And even smaller minority voted to remain. If that minority would have won, would it also not be the will of the people and would you still call for another referendum?

19 hours ago, oilinki said:

As a member of EU, United States of Great Britain, is a well loved member of us.

As a departed member, UK is just a country on our borders.

Turkeys' population 80 million. UK's population 65 million. 

It will be just few year before Turkey becomes a more important player in EU economies, that UK is.

Then there are all the other countries...

Let's hope so, then perhaps all the Turk's currently living in England on social benefits, not paying taxes and generally being a drain on resources will be return to their homeland but i doubt it somehow !

14 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Perhaps you should try reading my post again. Where does it say I haven't accepted the vote where have I said people are uneducated. I was stating the obvious that while the British people have voted by a slim majority to leave the EU nothing stops a future government from reversing that position or must we accept that the position is irreversible for all time now that you have won. 

Nor have I have used the words financial meltdown as a result of the vote to leave, as I showed previously that was entirely in your imagination and when I asked you to produce some evidence to back up such wild claims you failed miserably. 

You should read my post, I said many have but some posters here have said etc etc. Not you.  Secondly by wanting another referendum is not accepting the vote or reversing the decision.

it has been done to death. The Prime Minister David Cameron continually stated, it was a one time referendum and what leaving meant. Just research it

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You should read my post, I said many have but some posters here have said etc etc. Not you.

Secondly by wanting another referendum is not accepting the vote or reversing the decision.

it has been done to death. The Prime Minister David Cameron continually stated, it was a one time referendum and what leaving meant. Just research it

Nor have I said anywhere I want another referendum. However what I have said is that a future government could reverse this decision. You still don't get it, Cameron nor any other PM can bind any successor government.

Some posters, you were replying to my post not some posters.

11 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Nor have I said anywhere I want another referendum. However what I have said is that a future government could reverse this decision. You still don't get it, Cameron nor any other PM can bind any successor government.

Some posters, you were replying to my post not some posters.

So you accept I didn't say you said. apology accepted.

As to you not saying anywhere you want another referendum. Please close the door on the way out.

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Because it has been 'done to death' Can you show me where it says lets give 350 million to the NHS? If you can't then I wont reply, as it really has been exhausted.

Yes it has and it dosnt say anywhere 350 Mil to the NHS but the remain camp are still trundling this old chestnut out in every debate and saying it is a lie.

New topic (well he's old) but same old chit. His Lordship is just one of many continuing Project Fear in the hope that the referendum result will be ignored and that Brexit will just evaporate. It's a pity he won't do the same!

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So you accept I didn't say you said. apology accepted.

As to you not saying anywhere you want another referendum. Please close the door on the way out.

Again you have failed to show anywhere where I have supported the idea of a referendum in fact you can go through my posts and you will find that I do not support referendums.

However you clearly cannot see the difference between someone asking a rhetorical question and voicing support for such a thing. I was asking the person to whom I addressed that reply that if you could have a second referendum then there could be a third or fourth. Do you get it now or do you need me to spell it out once again.

In fact you are the one who seems to think that this latest referendum is the final say on the matter and as I keep pointing out to you just because you won the vote this time doesn't mean there cannot be another referendum to reverse this decision. It also means that a future government could reverse the decision. Now I will repeat myself just for you. The fact that I am stating there could be another referendum on the matter does not mean I support such a thing, I know if I don't say that you will accuse me of asking for another referendum. Did the door just slam in your face?

7 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Again you have failed to show anywhere where I have supported the idea of a referendum in fact you can go through my posts and you will find that I do not support referendums.

However you clearly cannot see the difference between someone asking a rhetorical question and voicing support for such a thing. I was asking the person to whom I addressed that reply that if you could have a second referendum then there could be a third or fourth. Do you get it now or do you need me to spell it out once again.

In fact you are the one who seems to think that this latest referendum is the final say on the matter and as I keep pointing out to you just because you won the vote this time doesn't mean there cannot be another referendum to reverse this decision. It also means that a future government could reverse the decision. Now I will repeat myself just for you. The fact that I am stating there could be another referendum on the matter does not mean I support such a thing, I know if I don't say that you will accuse me of asking for another referendum. Did the door just slam in your face?

You are embarrassing yourself nothing more to say to you.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Because it has been 'done to death' Can you show me where it says lets give 350 million to the NHS? If you can't then I wont reply, as it really has been exhausted.

Boris Johnson has stood by his pre-referendum promise to provide the NHS with an extra £350m a week after Britain’s exit from the European Union.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-theresa-may-win-general-election-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-uk-prime-minister-a7705026.html

Theresa May admits £350 million pledged to NHS by Brexit campaign isn't going to happen

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-admits-350-million-pledged-10124021

Boris Johnson Stands By Disputed '£350m For The NHS' Figure

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-shows/ask-boris/boris-johnson-live-on-lbc-watch/

Do you want more?

13 hours ago, adammike said:

38% of the electorate voted to leave,a minority of the British people voted to leave so they won on the first past the post system, hardly the will of the people.hold a referendum today you will get one result tomorrow another.Its not over yet.

Conversely,35% of the electorate voted to stay,a larger minority of the British people voted to stay so they lost on the first past the post system,the will of the people who bothered to vote.Hold a referendum today and you will get the same result.It IS over.Get over it.

20 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Boris Johnson has stood by his pre-referendum promise to provide the NHS with an extra £350m a week after Britain’s exit from the European Union.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-blair-theresa-may-win-general-election-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-uk-prime-minister-a7705026.html

Theresa May admits £350 million pledged to NHS by Brexit campaign isn't going to happen

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-admits-350-million-pledged-10124021

Boris Johnson Stands By Disputed '£350m For The NHS' Figure

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/special-shows/ask-boris/boris-johnson-live-on-lbc-watch/

Do you want more?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

3 minutes ago, dundee48 said:

Haha,owned.

No as I explained to LG I was asking a rhetorical question as like LG you appear to think that there cannot be any more referendums on the subject. So let me try and explain it to you. If you can have a second referendum then you can have a third and even a fourth. Do I support further referendums, the answer is no as I have said many times before, I do not agree with referendums it should be for Parliament to decide.

However LG appears to think that this referendum is the final referendum just because David Cameron said so. I have stated it so many times, no government can bind its successor governments to any course of action. So there is nothing stopping the next Parliament from holding another referendum or even this parliament from holding another referendum. Once again I will say the obvious I do not support another referendum or indeed any referendum but what is not in dispute is that there could indeed be further referendums should parliament decide.

For some reason LG thinks that if you say there could be further referendums then that must mean you support holding one.

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

LOL Some posters just can't take it on the chin and 'man up'. Ah well if your caught with your pants down then expect to feel a draft.

I am still waiting for you to produce any statement where I have said I support another referendum and thus far you haven't. Just like you tried to bluster your way out of your ridiculous NHS claim. I supplied you with three links where Johnson says exactly what you claim he never said and you ignore them and continue with your bluster.

3 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Nor have I said anywhere I want another referendum

Your writing as shown in post 133. This was the second referendum on the matter, so yes why not indeed a third and fourth.     

The last reply on it, as your seem to be 'blowing a gasket' and my sides are hurting from laughing.

5 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Your writing as shown in post 133. This was the second referendum on the matter, so yes why not indeed a third and fourth.     

The last reply on it, as your seem to be 'blowing a gasket' and my sides are hurting from laughing.

But yet you cannot produce any statement that shows me saying I support another referendum. Just like your ridiculous claim that Johnson never said 350 million was for the NHS and just like your financial meltdown claim. You are just bluster.

Yes indeed there could be a third referendum or a fourth or a fifth ad infinitum so still waiting to see how you construe from that support for holding a referendum.

Just to add judging from the delay in your reply you have tried to find such a claim and failed.

Edited by pitrevie
adding additional sentence

13 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Prior to brexit the UK was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. We could of chosen to remain and all been better off, for the short term at least

Manufacturing has and will continue to decline,regardless (10% + a year i read 3 years ago),  so where would that leave us in 10 years with 30% of births arising from couples of non UK nationalities.

The population was/is expanding at a rate not sustainable,  not helped by the constant increase of EU migrants into the UK (200,000 a year and expanding)Non EU another 200,000

with manufacturing dwindling and migrants increasing how were we going to support  the huge number of welfare payments that was simply going to get bigger and bigger and bigger

Yes, we may never fully recover but better this than the catastrophic recession we were heading for, which no one looks to, as its too far in the future. 

Another vote would probably reverse the result because most people cannot see the long term view

I blame Cameron for negotiating a deal that wasn't worth the paper it was printed on

Do you know Malthusian catastrophe theory? Immigration from EU together with birth rate is self regulating

1) Manufacturing will continue to decline until the GBP is low enough to make our products attractive

2) AI, automation and robotics will reduce requirements for workers

3) collapsing GBP against Euro makes U.K. Employment less attractive for those sending money home

4) Sadly the U.K. (And USA) are less attractive places to come and work due to a nasty Xenophobic streak that has come to the surface

5) I fear that there will be an exodus of bright people wanting to escape to more civilised lands ?

12 hours ago, citybiker said:

Manufacturing decline?
Key points:
Expectations for domestic order growth (+16%) are the most upbeat since April 2015 (+18%), whereas expected growth in export orders (+28%) is the highest in four decades (+37%)
Expectations for output growth (+28%) are the highest since April 2014
Unit costs growth (+5%) are expected to moderate further over the next quarter and domestic price inflation (+9%) is anticipated to be more subdued
Investment in training and retraining in the year ahead is expected to increase at the strongest pace (+28%) since January 2015.
http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturers-report-strong-output-growth/

Cameron's attempt was simply going through the diplomatic process & nothing more, as for catastrophic recession?

Project fear attempted that & blatantly failed, uncharted waters are always challenging, it's adapting & overcoming these challenges is the difference between the strong & weak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bit disingenuous there.

The % are the % of companies taking positive outlook. It is not % growth forecast....

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

For clarification of my reference to clowns is that of peers and MP's who have been told by the people in the referendum that we want to leave the EU. For daring to stop or even reverse it, I am being polite by calling them clowns.

Do you understand representative democracy?