Before and after - artist's impression of the future of Walking Street!

webfact

To be reasonable, could "they" not just fix the sewage, the hygeine, the security  and the cables, but leave the sleaze and overall experience as it is? I rarely go there, only to take visitors who want to see it, never ever spend any money there, but absolutely defend its right to exist, and the rights of others to be ripped off any way they like, except of course the terrorists.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corporate blandness is everyone's destiny, there is no fighting it. It all began when they built the McDonalds on Walking Street and it ends with Designer Outlet shops that don't sell real rejects, but new down-quality items for the wannabe hisos. Welcome to the future now. I recall my excitement of a few years ago when my Thai wife said a new mall had opened and we bundled into the car with expectations of Thai boutique shops to be confronted by 'Bluewater' transferred to Thailand and the worse thing, cheaper in England too, now my Thai ex-wife prefers to shop in England for the massive savings she can make. Blandness is the new opiate of the masses. You can't fight it, move to a small village and keep chickens. The girls, like all girls everywhere will adapt to the new world order, its just that they will operate their social media constructs with well manicured hands whilst selling 1 handbag a day instead of bag handling once or twice a day and their lipstick will be a better brand (or so they think). They can change the name too, suggestions welcome, but I'm starting with 'Less Walking Street'

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

i counted 5 condoms floating down the klong in bang kapi on my daily stroll to the mall.there was a bloke fishing and i wonder how many he caught.

My point exactly, people are practicing safe sex, so the sex trade does not do nearly as much damage as its unfiltered acutramon and other vile waste.

6 hours ago, garvon said:

Why on earth did you come here then if you hate it so furiously? Your reply will be interesting.

Tend to agree in a certain way. As: As did he come here and then enjoyed the entertainment and oddness, grew a life, but now doesn't appreciate the scene now and then? I love the visit on a now then then. More then than now, but all the same. It is Thailand. You can't turn it into a Polynesia atmosphere. Like a lot trying to de-mask Denmark. Been here along time, but I say I like the oddity back in the day. Looks like it is being strangled hard a bit now though. Not only the walking, but many other similar things around the country. Yes, CM too. Let's see what is next. There will be a next. .

19 hours ago, ezflip said:

Hmmm....seems to be missing something. Oh yes, it's missing the flag bearing tour leader with the 50 odd Chinese tourists follow behind, spiting on the road and gawking at everything.

Otherwise, it looks like any other street we come across everywhere in the world. Bland and boring.

Do not panic, Thais will get around this, if this goes ahead they will simply up tools and move to another street.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

" It has been transformed into a place of calm and order where families would be at home."

I guess there has to be one street that is calm and orderly in all of Thailand.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

You obviously need to travel more around Thailand.

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Many on WS now spend no money.  Or very little.  Kinda like the red light district in Amsterdam.  Many walk by, few partake.

If they did it properly, it could be very successful.  I quit going to WS several years ago.  Just not my cup of tea.  I know many others who feel the same way.

Here's Bang Saray's walking street.  No go go bars.

https://www.mypattayacondo.com/bangsaray-walking-street/

Sunday-Walking-Street-Market-Bansaray-83

And Chiang Mai's market.  Always busy with tourists.

http://www.embark.org/thailand/chiang-mai/culture/sunday-market

sunday-market-chiang-mai-thailand.jpg

great  !  ......  but i'm not looking for tom yum. :shock1:

18 hours ago, Docno said:

Not quite right. They simply turned that former red light district (Bugis Street of the 60s and 70s) into a shopping centre, much like what this artist is proposing. I lived next to it for several years. No 'rebuilding', just renovation and cleanup. And there have definitely been no working girls or 'girls' there since the place was converted.

And a lot of people now go to Gayling street for the atmosphere and buzz of the 'Asian experience'..

pattaya just cant get it...power lines hanging in your face,tour buses belching out smoke in you face ..the smell of sewer in your face,, herded like livestock by tour gides and beach vendors..etc etc......new moto  ''BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME''...

38 minutes ago, steven100 said:

great  !  ......  but i'm not looking for tom yum. :shock1:

Agreed!  My point is that's prime seaside property that could be turned into something really nice.  Walking Street could be moved elsewhere.  Something similar to what they've got in Tokyo?

18 hours ago, whitemouse said:

Because once in Bang Saray, or in Chang Mai,  people are forced to go to these dreadful markets,  they have to go somewhere. No one wakes up on a freezing morning  in Sweden in December, and thinks "Oi, I'm gonna buy a ticket to Bang Saray and visit the market there!".  

But many, many more people visit Pattaya, and it isn't because our markets. Pattaya is 'extreme' city, because of its unique attractions, and it draws millions. Take that away, and Pattaya will become Bang Saray, a place no one has heard of

I think you guys are trying to say; "It's Horses for Courses"

I wouldn't be going to HomePro to buy my Sunday dinner.... Get my drift.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Agreed!  My point is that's prime seaside property that could be turned into something really nice.  Walking Street could be moved elsewhere.  Something similar to what they've got in Tokyo?

There a half built condo on that prime seaside property. At their present rate walking street could be turned into a collection of condo skeletons for years, populated only by soi dogs and parked buses.

Turned into what though?

More hotels pumping sewerage into the sea?

3 hours ago, tryasimight said:

And a lot of people now go to Gayling street for the atmosphere and buzz of the 'Asian experience'..

No "working girls" on the streets back when Bugis was great. Brothels were legal and hidden away. All the taxi drivers tried to get single males to visit them "want a nice girl?".

The only "girls" on Bugis were kyties. Great place to hang out at night.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No "working girls" on the streets back when Bugis was great. Brothels were legal and hidden away. All the taxi drivers tried to get single males to visit them "want a nice girl?".

The only "girls" on Bugis were kyties. Great place to hang out at night.

Before my time I'm afraid.

I made oa point of going to Bugis street in 2012 based on what my work colleagues who were based at Butterworth told me.....boy was I disappointed.

Fortunately a taxi driver took me to Gayling street, which I had never heard of, and I had a great night.

It's only prime because people want to go to Pattaya. Turn Pattaya into just another Bkk clone beside the polluted sea and why would anyone want to go there?

Given that Pattaya will never be sorted infrastructure wise, for all the usual reasons, the only reason people, other than Chinese tour groups, go there is NOT for the shopping. They can do that in Bkk.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

It's only prime because people want to go to Pattaya. Turn Pattaya into just another Bkk clone beside the polluted sea and why would anyone want to go there?

Given that Pattaya will never be sorted infrastructure wise, for all the usual reasons, the only reason people, other than Chinese tour groups, go there is NOT for the shopping. They can do that in Bkk.

Don't forget the UK use to have massive air pollution years ago.  They solved it.  Thailand can do the same.  Won't happen overnight though.

2 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Before my time I'm afraid.

I made oa point of going to Bugis street in 2012 based on what my work colleagues who were based at Butterworth told me.....boy was I disappointed.

Fortunately a taxi driver took me to Gayling street, which I had never heard of, and I had a great night.

The hi point of Bugis was in 1973. Then the tour groups started bussing tourists in for guided tours. Beginning of the end. The Singapore government could tolerate one chaotic place on the island as long as it wasn't a tourist attraction. All to do with "face" of course.

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Don't forget the UK use to have massive air pollution years ago.  They solved it.  Thailand can do the same.  Won't happen overnight though.

Won't happen. Not enough money in public infrastructure to bother. The only reason they installed the sewage system way back in the 80s was because the stench was keeping the mongers away.