Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

His wife has not been banned and if he is settled in Spain and playing the pub and bar scene then his wife can live with him there under EU freedom of movement  then he can apply under Surinder Singh for her to return to the UK.

There are ways for some to work round the system should they choose and can find work elsewhere within the EU.

Edited by bobrussell

22 minutes ago, bobrussell said:

His wife has not been banned and if he is settled in Spain and playing the pub and bar scene then his wife can live with him there under EU freedom of movement  then he can apply under Surinder Singh for her to return to the UK.

There are ways for some to work round the system should they choose and can find work elsewhere within the EU.

I missed the bit about him having spent time playing the pub and bar scene.

But yes, there are ways.

Would she have to do the written test or meet any other requirements?

Edited by mommysboy

There are far more knowledgeable people than me but go to the visa and migration to other countries of this forum and check out the pinned Schengen Visa post there by Donutz.

Half way down it explains the requirements if the applicant is joining an EU family member in a country other than their own.

Good links there too.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

I missed the bit about him having spent time playing the pub and bar scene.

But yes, there are ways.

Would she have to do the written test or meet any other requirements?

“I missed the bit about him having spent time playing the pub and bar scene” 

……. how bizarre, when I revealed that very information in a comment that I made, even detailing whereabouts in Spain, and attaching a copy of his advertising billboard. You replied to my comment, so you have obviously developed the unique talent of replying  to comments that you haven't even read ……. have a guess at why doesn't that surprise me  

35 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

“I missed the bit about him having spent time playing the pub and bar scene” 

……. how bizarre, when I revealed that very information in a comment that I made, even detailing whereabouts in Spain, and attaching a copy of his advertising billboard. You replied to my comment, so you have obviously developed the unique talent of replying  to comments that you haven't even read ……. have a guess at why doesn't that surprise me  

Ah, I see, well although I see your point this does not merit casting aspersions on this character.  If anything it just reveals that he was out to earn money presumably as the breadwinner so he could afford to bring his wife back to the UK.  Presumably it failed, and he reverted back to the cabs where he's been since.

What I objected to was the tone of your postings which are heavy on assumption, most of it portraying him in bad light. For instance, take your version of his Spain trip. 

But yes I did miss the significance of the billboard you posted, it didn't seem that significant to me.  The main point is that just about everything he does you cast in a negative light.  I mean what's wrong with him trying to doing special gigs in Spain- that's just earning money isn't it?

I took the other poster's playing the scene as a comment that he had just been living it up in the south of Spain, chasing the ladies, boozing, etc.

Edited by mommysboy

40 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Ah, I see, well although I see your point this does not merit casting aspersions on this character.  If anything it just reveals that he was out to earn money presumably as the breadwinner so he could afford to bring his wife back to the UK.  Presumably it failed, and he reverted back to the cabs where he's been since.

What I objected to was the tone of your postings which are heavy on assumption, most of it portraying him in bad light. For instance, take your version of his Spain trip. 

But yes I did miss the significance of the billboard you posted, it didn't seem that significant to me.  The main point is that just about everything he does you cast in a negative light.  I mean what's wrong with him trying to doing special gigs in Spain- that's just earning money isn't it?

I took the other poster's playing the scene as a comment that he had just been living it up in the south of Spain, chasing the ladies, boozing, etc.

See if this rings any bells ….. it was only a couple of hours ago, and you replied, only to then deny any knowledge of it, so I am now genuinely hoping that you are not suffering from any memory loss, or diminishing ability to concentrate.

You did however make me smile with your classic line “ Perhaps conception was a happy accident” ….. Yup, 58 year old farang puts 33 year old girl from Pattaya up the duff, and it is a happy accident …… immaculate conception more like………  ha  f*****g  ha 

you then say  ......"I took the other poster's playing the scene as a comment that he had just been living it up in the south of Spain, chasing the ladies, boozing, etc"  ....... yeah, the loving husband and father that is trying desperately to facilitate the immigration to the UK of his (last minute) wife and the only real victim here, his lovely little daughter  ....... he's a chancer, everyone knows that, and instead of putting his nut down to make it all happen, he f***s off to Spain for the summer ...... 

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 16.23.18.png

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Doing gigs in Spain is probably a very good way for him to earn more than a mini cab driver. I presume that bars were willing to pay him to appear and wow the crowds when he appeared as Mickey Pearce from Only Fools. It is his claim to fame and quite a valid thing to do. Many celebs do the same to cash in on that fame as long as people remember them.

If he came back and is working as a mini cab driver maybe it wasn't so good. I mentioned it before but the headline that his wife has been banned from the UK is probably very wrong. Only my guess but I would think that they haven’t even submitted an application for settlement yet.

He probably contacted the newspapers after finding out how much work he had to do to apply for settlement for his wife. The reason for his heartbreak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

6 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

<snip>

I have however read an online article from a UK paper published in March this year, saying that he is playing the pub and bar scene in Benidorm now. That won't help much with meeting the minimum income threshold, unless he finds someone that wants a cab back to Peckham from there ???

No, it won't help him meet the threshold but if his work is taxed there then that will enable him to get his family into the UK under an EU clause.

Only if his wife is living there with him and they meet the eligibility requirements!

Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK; 6. Surinder Singh

Which means first she would have to obtain Spanish residency through whatever means the Spanish use for the non EEA national family members of an EEA national exercising a treaty right in Spain. Then they would have to live there long enough to satisfy the requirements linked to above and hope that they doo all of this before Brexit; unless the government agree that post Brexit the UK will still be subject to the freedom of movement directive; maybe in a similar way to Switzerland.

But as EU immigration was a major reason for many people voting Leave, I don't really see that happening; in which case if moving back to the UK from Spain post Brexit she would need a UK settlement visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rasg said:

<snip>

If he came back and is working as a mini cab driver maybe it wasn't so good. I mentioned it before but the headline that his wife has been banned from the UK is probably very wrong.

It is definitely completely wrong, unless she falls under Para B320(11) of the immigration rules

(11) where the applicant has previously contrived in a significant way to frustrate the intentions of the Rules by:

(i) overstaying; or

(ii) breaching a condition attached to his leave; or

(iii) being an illegal entrant; or

(iv) using deception in an application for entry clearance, leave to enter or remain or in order to obtain documents from the Secretary of State or a third party required in support of the application (whether successful or not);

and there are other aggravating circumstances, such as absconding, not meeting temporary admission/reporting restrictions or bail conditions, using an assumed identity or multiple identities, switching nationality, making frivolous applications or not complying with the re-documentation process.

If I've read it right, which I may not have done as the article is short on facts and long on hyperbole, her application was refused because she does not meet the requirements of the rules due to her husband not satisfying the financial requirement.

If, indeed, as rasg says, she has actually ever submitted an application.

A refusal is not a ban on future applications. There is nothing to stop anyone whose application has been refused because they did not satisfy one or more of the requirements of the rules from applying again once those requirements are satisfied.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

10 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

See if this rings any bells ….. it was only a couple of hours ago, and you replied, only to then deny any knowledge of it, so I am now genuinely hoping that you are not suffering from any memory loss, or diminishing ability to concentrate.

You did however make me smile with your classic line “ Perhaps conception was a happy accident” ….. Yup, 58 year old farang puts 33 year old girl from Pattaya up the duff, and it is a happy accident …… immaculate conception more like………  ha  f*****g  ha 

you then say  ......"I took the other poster's playing the scene as a comment that he had just been living it up in the south of Spain, chasing the ladies, boozing, etc"  ....... yeah, the loving husband and father that is trying desperately to facilitate the immigration to the UK of his (last minute) wife and the only real victim here, his lovely little daughter  ....... he's a chancer, everyone knows that, and instead of putting his nut down to make it all happen, he f***s off to Spain for the summer ...... 

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 16.23.18.png

There's no replying because you arguments are simply not cogent, so hell bent are you in sullying this guy's reputation.  it's rather sad and pathetic.

Moreover you don't even deal in the facts raised, choosing instead your own fantastical explanations.

Thus, a burst condom necomes the immaculate conception.  And a simple gig in Spain becomes evidence of decadence and debauchery.

I won't be bothering to reply to any more of your dirges.

9 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Only if his wife is living there with him and they meet the eligibility requirements!

Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK; 6. Surinder Singh

Which means first she would have to obtain Spanish residency through whatever means the Spanish use for the non EEA national family members of an EEA national exercising a treaty right in Spain. Then they would have to live there long enough to satisfy the requirements linked to above and hope that they doo all of this before Brexit; unless the government agree that post Brexit the UK will still be subject to the freedom of movement directive; maybe in a similar way to Switzerland.

But as EU immigration was a major reason for many people voting Leave, I don't really see that happening; in which case if moving back to the UK from Spain post Brexit she would need a UK settlement visa.

Back to square one.

9 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It is definitely completely wrong, unless she falls under Para B320(11) of the immigration rules

If I've read it right, which I may not have done as the article is short on facts and long on hyperbole, her application was refused because she does not meet the requirements of the rules due to her husband not satisfying the financial requirement.

If, indeed, as rasg says, she has actually ever submitted an application.

A refusal is not a ban on future applications. There is nothing to stop anyone whose application has been refused because they did not satisfy one or more of the requirements of the rules from applying again once those requirements are satisfied.

'Barred' then.  The point is she can't get in!

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

There's no replying because you arguments are simply not cogent, so hell bent are you in sullying this guy's reputation.  it's rather sad and pathetic.

Moreover you don't even deal in the facts raised, choosing instead your own fantastical explanations.

Thus, a burst condom necomes the immaculate conception.  And a simple gig in Spain becomes evidence of decadence and debauchery.

I won't be bothering to reply to any more of your dirges.

Me, sully his reputation, ha ha ha, you must be kidding, he has already made a phenomenally good job of that himself.

There is only one way that he can bring his wife and child to live in the UK, and as we all know, that is to satisfy the minimum income requirement; being self employed, that can only be achieved by producing an annual tax return from the inland revenue. In the full knowledge of that, because that is what he has gone crying to the paper about, what does he do, knuckle down and work his socks off for a year ?? 

No, he makes absolutely certain that it can't happen by buggering off to Spain, to earn a few euros and a few bottles of San Miguel every night, recycling bit part lines from a 30 year old sitcom to drunken expatriates in a Benidorm pub. He went back to the UK in April 2016, so should have been able to provide a years accounts by now, and be well on the way to being reunited with his wife and daughter. I think they may be lucky to ever see him again ……. I hope he’s sending some maintenance.

You’ve been defending him from the beginning, so I don't expect you to admit now that you can see that he’s a chancer, always hoping something will turn up, just like Mickey Pearce; well it doesn't in the real world, you have to take responsibility for your own actions, and make the things you really want in life happen  …….

57 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

No, he makes absolutely certain that it can't happen by buggering off to Spain, to earn a few euros and a few bottles of San Miguel every night, recycling bit part lines from a 30 year old sitcom to drunken expatriates in a Benidorm pub. He went back to the UK in April 2016, so should have been able to provide a years accounts by now, and be well on the way to being reunited with his wife and daughter. I think they may be lucky to ever see him again ……. I hope he’s sending some maintenance.

You’ve been defending him from the beginning, so I don't expect you to admit now that you can see that he’s a chancer, always hoping something will turn up, just like Mickey Pearce; well it doesn't in the real world, you have to take responsibility for your own actions, and make the things you really want in life happen  …….

You make a lot of assumptions from a poorly written and inaccurate story. Most probably wrong.

My guess is he "buggered off to Spain" to try and earn much better money by doing personal appearances. Most minor celebs do it to boost their income. Remember Stavros Flatley from BGT? I bumped into them at dozens of Barmitzvahs and other events a few months after their 15 minutes of fame. The father took his 14 year old son out of school for a year or two because he knew that it was their big chance to finance his son's future. About £1000 for a five minute dance and 55 minutes of signing photos etc.

23 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I have, I admit, like most commenters on here, made some assumptions, simply because the article, and also the one in the Mirror, are very light on information, but I certainly have not done so with any prejudice. 

Best laugh I've had for ages...

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

'Barred' then.  The point is she can't get in!

Barred and banned are not what is happening at all. If she had been refused a visa she still hasn’t been barred or banned. She simply hadn’t fulfilled the requirements.

To be banned or barred she would have had to have done something to contravene the rules. She can apply at any time but pointless until her visa application fulfills the criteria.

Edited by rasg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rasg said:

You make a lot of assumptions from a poorly written and inaccurate story. Most probably wrong.

My guess is he "buggered off to Spain" to try and earn much better money by doing personal appearances. Most minor celebs do it to boost their income. Remember Stavros Flatley from BGT? I bumped into them at dozens of Barmitzvahs and other events a few months after their 15 minutes of fame. The father took his 14 year old son out of school for a year or two because he knew that it was their big chance to finance his son's future. About £1000 for a five minute dance and 55 minutes of signing photos etc.

Barred and banned are not what is happening at all. If she had been refused a visa she still hasn’t been barred or banned. She simply hadn’t fulfilled the requirements.

To be banned or barred she would have had to have done something to contravene the rules. She can apply at any time but pointless until her visa application fulfills the criteria.

Well something is preventing her- I'm not sure what word to use then- effectively she is barred.

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well something is preventing her- I'm not sure what word to use then- effectively she is barred.

It sure isn't barred. If "Mickey" gets his act together financially and his wife submits an application with a TB test and Language test certificate, assuming it is successful she will be able to come to the UK.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rasg said:

It sure isn't barred. If "Mickey" gets his act together financially and his wife submits an application with a TB test and Language test certificate, assuming it is successful she will be able to come to the UK.

It is barred.  Sorry to be pedantic, but I am a bit of a word nerd.  But I do agree a more subtly nuanced word would be better.

prevent or forbid the entrance or movement of.
"boulders barred her passage"
  • prohibit (someone) from doing something.
    "journalists had been barred from covering the elections"
    synonyms: prohibit, debar, preclude, forbid, ban, interdict, inhibit; More
    exclude, keep out;
    obstruct, hinder, block;
    enjoin
    "I was barred from entering"
    antonyms: accept, admit
  • forbid (an activity) to someone.
    "the job she loved had been barred to her"
  • exclude (something) from consideration.
    "nothing is barred in the crime novel"

3 hours ago, rasg said:

That's your guess is it, says the man that accuses me of making assumptions; so enlighten me, what is the difference between a guess and an assumption, or is it just a guess when you assume something, and an assumption when someone else does ??  

no matter, I understand what you say about celebrities cashing in on their fame, but seriously, what would a pub owner in Benidorm want to pay him for being Mickey Pearce, even if he has still got the Titfer. I mean what can he actually do, apart from talk about a 30 year old TV sitcom in which he had a bit part  ??

Even in the unlikely event that he were to be well paid, he can't just say to the immigration authorities "I earned a load of dosh in Spain" as you rightly pointed out in an earlier comment to Kieran  “You have to provide a full set of annual accounts, tax returns and bank statements to show that you have earned the money” ……. which is what he needs to do to provide evidence of meeting the minimum income criteria. 

He is certainly not making much effort to do that, he arrived in Benidorm on 21st February 2017 having arrived back in the UK from Thailand in April 2016, so that's not much of an attempt at working a full year in the British tax system I suggest 

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.33.01.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.31.11.png

14 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

That's your guess is it, says the man that accuses me of making assumptions; so enlighten me, what is the difference between a guess and an assumption, or is it just a guess when you assume something, and an assumption when someone else does ??  

no matter, I understand what you say about celebrities cashing in on their fame, but seriously, what would a pub owner in Benidorm want to pay him for being Mickey Pearce, even if he has still got the Titfer. I mean what can he actually do, apart from talk about a 30 year old TV sitcom in which he had a bit part  ??

Even in the unlikely event that he were to be well paid, he can't just say to the immigration authorities "I earned a load of dosh in Spain" as you rightly pointed out in an earlier comment to Kieran  “You have to provide a full set of annual accounts, tax returns and bank statements to show that you have earned the money” ……. which is what he needs to do to provide evidence of meeting the minimum income criteria. 

He is certainly not making much effort to do that, he arrived in Benidorm on 21st February 2017 having arrived back in the UK from Thailand in April 2016, so that's not much of an attempt at working a full year in the British tax system I suggest 

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.33.01.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 13.31.11.png

If he establishes himself in the EU exercising his treaty rights, then he could bypass the minimum income threshold

On 18/09/2017 at 9:56 AM, NoBrains said:

Thats right no charges when the wife apply for a Schengen visa if you travel to a EU Schengen memberstate.
When we travel from Belgium to the UK my wife has to apply for a UK visa but no charges apply.

Amazing,but not a complete surprise.

47 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I was reading between the lines based on my reasonable knowledge of the visa system. You were calling him a loser. Not quite the same thing without meeting or knowing anything about his situation.

Edited by rasg
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2017 at 4:01 PM, Thai Ron said:

I wonder how much of the outrage about this story stems from the fact that so many of the people commenting could easily be in the same situation as this fool.

As in, old, having another crack at happiness with a much younger wife and a new child.

It's a monumentally stupid life choice when you read it on paper but so many people here are talking as if UK immigration have done wrong by him.

I don't think so - in fact, I think they've helped him dodge a bullet.

His wife ain't bad looking and I can easily see his wife getting offers from younger, richer and better looking blokes every time she stepped out of the house

Wouldn't be long before he was back in Pattaya drowning his sorrows with his last few quid before diving off a balcony.

You do seem a very bitter person. I personally know of one chap aged 80 with 3 children under 10. He's very happy, as is his wife and children. Has no health problems. "Yes" he could die tomorrow,yet again he could live another 10- 15yrs. 

What Is Important  is that he has plenty of money to support them while he's alive,and also  plenty for his wife and family, should he die early.

• Like 1

On 20/09/2017 at 12:21 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Even if she was allowed in she would not be allowed to claim any benefits for the first 5 years, the only people who can claim straight away are refugees and they only get half the standard benefits.

It's not only refugees, economic migrants who cam claim benefits,there are other exceptions also. But you are correct she, being the wife/partner of a British citizen would not be entitled for the first 5yrs.

• Like 2

On reflection, there seems no place these days for the common man, and this is just one aspect in which this shows.  This isn't just about the struggle to get a visa, it's about how difficult it is these days just to earn a fair wage, or even just to muddle through life.  It's about ordinary people beating down other ordinary people with standards previously only aimed at high ranking officials, or others with status such as judges, headmasters, etc.