transfer USD in my account in Bangkok bank ( alert limits )

Hi,

I need to transfer 50K USD in my account in Bangkok bank ( from US )

I need to buy a new car, but the answer is ... the bank or the Bank of Thailand can call me or need any proof ?

So, I need to show the evidence ? i already have the statement account but it's not notarize .

Which is the limit in USD when you have the alert from your bank or Bank of Thailand ( inbound wire transfert ) ?

best regards

Edited by Fthai

I don't know for sure how it works with Bangkok Bank but if same as SCB they will contact you to ask what the funds are for - presuming they have contact details for you otherwise it may just sit there waiting for you to call them :smile: 

And I am talking about the Forex dept. at the  HO not the branch.

When you talk to them it is worth asking if they can give you any improvement on whatever rate they quote you as it is reasonable sum.......

I have not known them worry about provenance - unless it is something new in the last few months?

As far as I know, there are no alerts or red flags flying. I have had MUCH larger sums than that mentioned sent into my account here, and it just sits in your account until you use it. If you are planning to buy a condo or whatever, it might be a good idea to tell the bank manager that is why you brought the money in, and get a document to that effect, This will help you get the money out of Thailand should you so wish, Without such document it can be difficult getting money out.

when you do the wire trans.state whats it for,thats around 1.6million bht.you should get an international certificate from the bank regarding the trans.keep it safe.also for that amount you should get a call offering you a slightly better rate than TT.

17 hours ago, Fthai said:

Hi,

I need to transfer 50K USD in my account in Bangkok bank ( from US )

I need to buy a new car, but the answer is ... the bank or the Bank of Thailand can call me or need any proof ?

So, I need to show the evidence ? i already have the statement account but it's not notarize .

Which is the limit in USD when you have the alert from your bank or Bank of Thailand ( inbound wire transfert ) ?

best regards

I am not sure what you mean by "alert". Over the past few years I have transferred large amounts of USD into my Thai Kasikorn account. The rule with them is if under $40k USD they can confirm the exchange rate and finalize the transfer over the phone. They normally call me when they receive funds and if I agree to the rate they transfer into THB and put into my account. If I dont agree with the rate they will hold onto the funds until the exchange rate gets to where I want. If over $40k USD you have to physically visit the bank and sign the exchange form.

I have transferred USD through BKK Bank NY to my accounts here in Thailand in amounts over $50K and there is not limit on inward remittances....only on outbound transfers. You can go to your ibanking site if you have established an online banking account, then go to your settings and click on the alert to notify you by SMS to your phone that your international transfer is complete. When the transfer hit's the main office in BKK they will send you an email notice as well telling you the amount which has been received less the fee for processing in NY, then when the money actually hits your local bank account you will get another email notice telling you the net deposit less the receiving fees. Hold onto these emails which contain formal certificates noting your inbound transfer. You will need these if you ever elect to send that money back out of the country.

Edited by fittobethaied

25 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

As far as I know, there are no alerts or red flags flying. I have had MUCH larger sums than that mentioned sent into my account here, and it just sits in your account until you use it. If you are planning to buy a condo or whatever, it might be a good idea to tell the bank manager that is why you brought the money in, and get a document to that effect, This will help you get the money out of Thailand should you so wish, Without such document it can be difficult getting money out.

I transfer US$37K every month and have never been asked anything

Just to add my own 2 cents (LOL).  Just this past week I moved $40k, $40k and then $50k all in USD out of my old accounts in the UAE.  On the transfer request I wrote it "personal investment".  All the funds arrived within 24 hours to be USD SCB account.  No questions asked; the only hassle was to transfer the USD to Thai Baht I needed the bank manager to sign the transfer form in the bank ... which was a hassle as she wasn't in the bank the first time, we learned to call ahead the other 2 times.

Side note:  I tried to open a USD account at Bangkok Bank, but they wanted a initial deposit of $5,000 before they would open the account and the bank book would have to be sent from Bangkok (we are in Chiangmai) which would take additional time.  SCB opened it in a few minutes with no minimum.

@fittobethaied.... I note your comment above where you state that you can set an alert on your online account to have the bank send you an sms when your international transfer is complete. I assume you were talking about Bangkok Bank. I have an online account with Bangkok Bank and I just tried to set that alert up but noticed that there is no alert selection for transfers. I have an ordinary Thai baht account. Is this alert only available in a dollar account ? Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, DineshR said:

@fittobethaied.... I note your comment above where you state that you can set an alert on your online account to have the bank send you an sms when your international transfer is complete. I assume you were talking about Bangkok Bank. I have an online account with Bangkok Bank and I just tried to set that alert up but noticed that there is no alert selection for transfers. I have an ordinary Thai baht account. Is this alert only available in a dollar account ? Would appreciate your input. Thanks.

I believe that I misspoke in my last post. Instead of arranging for an SMS alert on the BKK Bank ibanking website for incoming international transfers, I seem to remember now that I did that at a BKK Bank ATM machine. Just play around with the options there, perhaps under "other services", and you will see the activation for the SMS alert there. Or, you can arrange it by calling Bualuang Phone 1333 or +66 (0) 2645 5555.

Timely thread: I asked yesterday at Bkk Bk about opening a US$ account here, and no mention was made of upper limits, or confirming what the funds were for. Probably because there's no currency conversion involved.

Edited by cmjc

Almost a decade ago I transferred $215K from my U.S. bank to my Bangkok Bank account....just said to buy a residence.  Posted to my account within 24 hours....no problems...no questions asked.  I also got a Foreign Exchange Transaction form from Bangkok Bank to document the transfer so if I ever need to transfer the funds out in the future I can.