What books are people reading now?

The manic

Just back from the states, so picked up "Twin Peaks: a novel" by Mark Frost, co-creator of show. I'm a huge fan. Not a toss away fan book, but well researched history twined in of Lewis & Clark, Chief Joseph, etc. Quality production. Also "Greatest Story Ever Told,,, so far" & used copy of Colbert's "I'm America and so can you".

"A People's History of the United States" by Zinn. I recommend in these current times to remind folks that there have been battles addressing injustice fought before and that nothing seems to change (inertia) without force. Those with wealth and power do not willingly seek any sort of sustainable balance.

I like to read CARL HIAASEN's books. I guess, I read them all. One of my favorites was "Lucky you".

After reading 2 books by Colin Cotterill, I downloaded most of his other books, to my Kindle. Just now I am reading "The woman who wouldn't die".

I also like to read John Burdet, Arto Paasilinna.

I always enjoy Christopher G Moore..  'Missing in Rangoon'.. is a good start.. the first in a series of 4.. 'Zero Hour in Phnom Penh'  is the next (I think..)..  'Crackdown' is also good...  ..I have to say I found his most recent novel..'Jumpers' hard going though... brilliant writer... he speaks and dreams in Thai and knows Thai culture inside out.. 

http://www.thebigthrill.org/2013/01/missing-in-rangoon-by-christopher-g-moore/

Also.. I just finished 'The Stone of Heaven'.. a long read but very interesting account of the history of jade and how it influenced China's development..   read the review.. my words don't do it justice..  

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/adrian-levy/the-stone-of-heaven/

For something completly different I always enjoy Haruki Murakami...'Kafka on the Shore' is a good start..

http://www.harukimurakami.com/book/kafka-on-the-shore

1 hour ago, seabear said:

I like to read CARL HIAASEN's books. I guess, I read them all. One of my favorites was "Lucky you".

After reading 2 books by Colin Cotterill, I downloaded most of his other books, to my Kindle. Just now I am reading "The woman who wouldn't die".

I think you would enjoy Christopher G Moore  ..if you haven't already discoverd him..

1 hour ago, seabear said:

Hiaasen is hilarious. 

12 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Laza, try Dear Boy, semi autobiography of the late Kieth Moon written by Tony Fletcher. My hand is for lifting cans of Chang not what your implying.

...'Dear boy''.. disgustingly condescending... I'm not 'dear' and I am not a 'boy''..  end of conversation ...ok?

10 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I think you would enjoy Christopher G Moore  ..if you haven't already discoverd him..

Thank you Laza.  Yes, I enjoy reading Christopher G Moore. He also edited a book "bangkok noir". A collection of stories from the following writers: John Burdett, Pico Iyer, Christopher G Moore, Timothy Hallinan, Dean Barrett, Eric Stone, Stephen Leather, Colin Cotterill, Tew Bunnag, Alex Kerr, Vasit Dejkunjorn, Collin Piprell.

I will check the kirkusreviews. I am not impressed by the reviews from goodreads.

And while  I am here, "1421"  by Gavin Menzies, is an interesting read.

"Small Sacrifices" by Ann Rule;  real crime book about mom offing the kids in 1980s Oregon USA.

Next up is a book about How to Program using PYTHON. I want to learn enough to create a weighted random pick using the draws from the last 50 draws.

Edited by IAMHERE
mis spellings

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Currently working my way through Jack Reacher series, and have a few Dune books for when I finish with Jack.

Have you tried David Baldacci's  John Puller series?  They are uncannily similar to the Jack Reacher books, to the point that Lee Child has had a few subtle digs to the series in his own novels.