Overstay: Flight booked but not enough money to pay fine.

3 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I just stated in my MANY replies that I have raised over 30k Bahts from family and friends. I used the money to book a ticket and now I have less than 10k to pay the fine. Useful advise would be appreciated. Thanks for your concern  :) 

Why not pop into a language school for the past 7 months and work for it?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Girl said:

I have already raised 30k from family and friends. I used it to purchase a plane ticket and now I have less than 10k for the fine.  Thanks.

Well; most, unfortunately, The Girl - as "charity begins at home", I feel that your only solution is to ask your family and friends to cough-up a little bit more money.

Personally I would not go to the IDC and hand yourself in to go through the courts 

If it's possible and your ETD gives you sufficient time to do this then change your flight to a later date and try to raise the extra money needed

I have no idea how a ETD works and if it has to be used by a certain date, I guess you will know the answer to this

7 hours ago, The Girl said:

I have already raised 30k from family and friends. I used it to purchase a plane ticket and now I have less than 10k for the fine.  Thanks.

Better to have the 20,000 baht to pay the FINE and walk back,you will not get out unless you have......can you not understand this?

11 minutes ago, The Girl said:

Then raise more. Otherwise, you may end up in a position where you lose your money for the flight you just booked and be forced to buy a last minute expensive one way ticket on a national carrier, that may put your friends in a position to have to fork out 50K to get you out of IDC, instead of 10K+ now.

If they don't, you will be enjoying IDC until they come up with the money.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:

Why not pop into a language school for the past 7 months and work for it?   

I did that.. That is why I booked 2 weeks in advance. Basically, it still wont be enough.

1 minute ago, darrendsd said:

Personally I would not go to the IDC and hand yourself in to go through the courts 

If it's possible and your ETD gives you sufficient time to do this then change your flight to a later date and try to raise the extra money needed

I have no idea how a ETD works and if it has to be used by a certain date, I guess you will know the answer to this

This is possible. My ETD expires in December 2017 ;)

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

Better to have the 20,000 baht to pay the FINE and walk back,you will not get out unless you have......can you not understand this?

Yes I do understand... I will have to raise the money without "easy alternatives". I have decided to speak to family and friends to cough up more

2 minutes ago, kalidescopemind said:

I wonder, how many other countries charge to $15/day for overstaying your visa?  Most just kick you out and won't let you back in.   Thailand is such a shakedown, it gets irritating.

Thailand is an 'amateur' when it comes to 'tourist fees'. Bhutan charges $200 per day during low season and $250 per day during high season - just to be there!

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Pawn your watch, your sneakers, anything you own.  Laptop,  phone? 

Or do what many ladies over here do to raise money...............:sorry:

good luck and let us know how it pans out eventually :thumbsup:

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

Or do what many ladies over here do to raise money...............:sorry:

good luck and let us know how it pans out eventually :thumbsup:

Hahahahaha very funny. I will totally hit up Pattaya - will definitely fill you in ;-) 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When i read this i actually wonder that immigration just asks to see 20000thb sometimes, actually they should ask to see 50000, then a situation like this would maybe not occur

Because the untouchable immigration act issued in 1979 has not been changed. The max fine is 20,000 baht. The daily fine is 500 baht.

Just now, jackdd said:

Your question have been answered, you either make sure you have 20k when you are at the airport, or you will go to IDC and need to have a lot more money before you can go home

Yes. I will go with those who say I should raise more money from family and friends. Paying 20k is swift than IDC. No, "easy alternatives" Thanks guys. I didn't know half the consequences I learned about today. 

58 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Basically, you are saying that the length of time taken to issue a passport is irrelevant. You brought it up as some kind of weak excuse. You only needed an ETD to travel back to South Africa. That could have been issued as soon as you lost your old passport if you had the money for the flight ticket.

do you want to provide help or be right?

seems to me, you are more concerned about pointing a finger.  

the op <deleted> up,the op knows it. you are right. now offer a suggestion or move on.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Because the untouchable immigration act issued in 1979 has not been changed. The max fine is 20,000 baht. The daily fine is 500 baht.

I mean the money they want to see when you arrive in Thailand. Some people like the OP arrive with maybe 20000thb, lose their passport, can't take their flight back home (or don't have one), and then end up here without enough money to buy another flight or to pay the fine because they arrived here with just 20k

UPDATE: As for those who are really

Just now, pearciderman said:

So you are saying that you were already on 1 months overstay when you "lost" your passport ?

No, I had a choice to "wait" for my passport or go home. I chose to wait. At that time my visa was valid because Embassy said my passport will take only 2 months. After 2 months, it changed to 6 months. That's when the overstay started. 2+6 months=8 - 7 (overstay) = 1. My tourist visa was still valid for 1 month at the time. So I was still safe.

12 minutes ago, mstevens said:

It might be that you get fined a few thousand baht and still have to pay the 20K baht.  There is no certainty that you will get out of paying that 20K fine.  And the idea of surrendering oneself to the IDC is submitting to what various people have described as a detention centre with absolutely horrific conditions.  I would avoid that at all costs

I agree with you. I will pawn and make contact seeing that I don't have a choice. The IDC has not been painted in a good light. I would not wish to cause further problems than the few I cannot control. Thanks, 20k it is.

• Like 1

A fellow countryman to the OP posted above that he/she didn't need to wait months for a new passport at all, but could have traveled home right away with just the Emergency Travel Document issued by his/her Consulate -- once he/she had the funds to pay for the required airline ticket to go back home.

Why the OP instead choose to wait months for a new passport (whether it was going to be two months or six months) and just further worsened his/her overstay problem is a bit fuzzy here.

No, I had a choice to "wait" for my passport or go home. I chose to wait.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Inflammatory off topic posts and replies are being removed. No further notice will be given when they are removed. If you have don't have anything helpful to contribute please do not bother posting.

And again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A fellow countryman to the OP posted above that he/she didn't need to wait months for a new passport at all, but could have traveled home right away with just the Emergency Travel Document issued by his/her Consulate -- once he/she had the funds to pay for the required airline ticket to go back home.

Why the OP instead choose to wait months for a new passport (whether it was going to be two months or six months) and just further worsened his/her overstay problem is a bit fuzzy here.

Please stop selective hearing/reading. I chose to wait because the embassy said it will take 2 months. That is nothing compared to going home! They later changed to 6 months without notification and the problem worsened. You do not read properly and that is not my fault. Like I said I will raise the additional 10k. No need for more advise now. I will try my best. Thanks

• Like 1