Best small car for $10,000 USD / 330,000 THB? Need your input.

ywamer

Hi all,

I've bought a few cars over the years here in Thailand, including a 2006 Toyota Yaris & 2008 Honda Jazz. When I bought them (both used) I got them with low miles and paid around 450,000 THB each. Now I find myself needing a daily car, yet with a bit less $$$ to spend.

What would you recommend I go for having just 330,000 THB ($10,000 USD)?

Should I look for something older but mid-sized (ie. 2010 Corolla - older but still quality and 1.6 engine), a 2010-2012 City or Vios with manual transmission (manual tran saves $ now -  but can I resell a manual transmission easily after a few years?) or a 2012-13 Ford Fiesta with low miles (yet with potential transmission issues) or a newish small and questionable model that is cheaper and newer (2015 Chevy Cruze, Proton, etc).

My gut says to stick with Toyota or Honda even if it means an older model with more miles. What do the rest of you suggest?

Depends what you want - cheap and not lasting long, or reliable.  If reliable, that amount of money would get you a very good condition 5 year old Toyota Vios (with a warranty).  As noted above, Toyota's keep their value, not like Mazda's which have substantially higher depreciation. 

What are your priorities? Economy, size, performance? Jazz and vios are good and reliable but are expensive second hand. If you want more comfort and size, get a slightly older car - maybe a previous mazda 3. For smaller cars, one of the ecocars may be good value. There are a lot in the market for 300K now and are much newer than vios/jazz for the same price. The ciaz is a good size. I have a swift and an older honda civic - the swift gets around well and good on fuel, but the larger size of the civic makes it more comfortable to drive (more power too).

Tired of renting a car every year that I come or the wife comes at a month or two at the time, but did not want anything too expensive since we are not there most of the year and the car will be driven by my wife's sister.

So we purchased a 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage, 1.2 liter engine ,Auto trany. one owner and 36,000 kilometers. for 279000. 

(power windows, power locks, alarm, automatic folding mirrors etc)

I never owned a car with such small engine, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The car wants to run,

We constantly had to remind ourselves to slow down so we don't get a camera ticket. 

When we went to the airport we had two large suitcases in the back with out folding the back seats down, my mother in law, sister in law, my wife and me, and we were cruising at 120 km effortlessly , at slightly over 2,000 RPM ,  

For the money, I am very impressed.

It really depends what you want for the price, as another poster said - power, performance, good looks, or economy, etc.

And then there's the big problem of trusting the seller on the provenance of the car when buying second hand. I've had my fingers (and pocket) burned in the past buying from the 'tents' in Chiang Mai.

Where are you located? If you are in CM I can recommend Expat Auto. Just checked out their website and they have a few in your price range. A couple of Protons at 179,000 and 189,000 baht - great value, but boring. A Toyota Yaris at 299,000 baht - reliable but also a bit boring. A nice looking 2015 Nissan March at 309,000 - fun to drive but very small. And a Honda Civic Coupe 1.6 vti at 329,000 - maybe too much fun for you.

Good luck with your search.

You actually have a wide choice of 2nd hand vehicles at that price. Although a tad more expensive it's best to stick to the main Thai dealers, as it's less likely you'll be sold a dud by a backstreet boyo. And it depends where you're living. If in Chiang Mai, look at the Rimping board, several cars owned by ex-pats for sale could also be an alternative source. There's actually a clean looking Audi saloon on sale on the Hang Dong road near Tesco Lotus heading into town, but that could be a risky buy.

Wife drives a Mazda 2 and I drive a Honda Brio Amaze saloon. The Honda is far superior and less costly to run. Same engine as the Jazz and very quick off the mark, with a tight turning circle. Can't fault the value for money. 

You can't go past a Toyota Vios for reliability and technical support. Just about every mechanic in Thailand knows how to work on them. The downside is finding one in your price range with low kilometres.

There are plenty of Nissan March's around in your price range with low kilometres; however, they are smaller. The Nissan Almera has plenty of room, motor undersized.

I recently rented a Suzuki Ciaz with 40,000 km on the odometer, and was very impressed with the build quality and NVH - or rather lack of NVH.

I agree Expat Auto's vehicles are reasonably priced.

Not sure where you are @ywamer but if you can get down to Phuket by sunday the latest, as monday i will be taking to trang to px for a new Ford Ranger, is my Ford Fiesta, it's done 48.5k, Red, spotless (had the new gear box fitted as the 12/13 series were faulty - you touched on this above), we're offloading to them for 240k so 250k will be more than enough to undo any costs already agreed there.imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

My understanding looking at prices this will resell for around the 300k mark, it's sat at another property we own used once a week to keep it ticking over but no use to us, as we are removing our small cars (we're doing a lot of miles and terraines), may also have a newish Jazz for sale shortly but that will be 4-500k 

Drop a line here and go from there.

W

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

odo.jpg

car1.jpg

Edited by wjdw

On 9/25/2017 at 4:46 PM, ywamer said:

Hi all,

I've bought a few cars over the years here in Thailand, including a 2006 Toyota Yaris & 2008 Honda Jazz. When I bought them (both used) I got them with low miles and paid around 450,000 THB each. Now I find myself needing a daily car, yet with a bit less $$$ to spend.

What would you recommend I go for having just 330,000 THB ($10,000 USD)?

Should I look for something older but mid-sized (ie. 2010 Corolla - older but still quality and 1.6 engine), a 2010-2012 City or Vios with manual transmission (manual tran saves $ now -  but can I resell a manual transmission easily after a few years?) or a 2012-13 Ford Fiesta with low miles (yet with potential transmission issues) or a newish small and questionable model that is cheaper and newer (2015 Chevy Cruze, Proton, etc).

My gut says to stick with Toyota or Honda even if it means an older model with more miles. What do the rest of you suggest?

Follow your gut. You are right! Best second hand small car in the market. Honda Jazz.

Just picked up a Toyota Yaris for a week's rental. First 50km were very nippy for an automatic, but an annoying whine from the engine.

Realised I was in sports mode. Put it back into Drive. What a slug! But if anyone wants a nippy hatchback, just drive a Yaris around in sports mode. Good fun!

Hello.

I been here  14 years...had numerous cars and now proud owner of BT-50 2014

Toyota, Honda popular by thais as most parts are copy, not original...cost less.

Keep in mind that Thailand roads are rated number 2 worst in Asia, know numerous people where as underneath of car falls apart, they made changes to truck...Yaris and small Honda jazz are fragile especially in a accident..seen it many times..

Taxes are cheaper on Truck or green car....Besides fuel economy..

Majority of vehicles in Thailand are Trucks...Nothing like having a Diesel, go forever...Higher resale value, easy to sell...More Safety and less likely to be run off the road by the crazies out there....They stay out of my way and never try to road bully me....Fact

Stay away from the fiesta, many problems here in Thailand, & drink gas..hard to sell..

If you still adamant Car...I highly recommend Nissan Almera...Green car, cheap on gas, and taxes..and Attractive...Huge Trunk...Grest service dept in Ban Apure ,  close to Joiemtien....New showroom.

Get a Truck Won't regret it.....

I haul my fat girlfriend around...in the bed.....

Gary

On 9/26/2017 at 9:44 AM, mortenaa said:

Mazda would be my natural choice. Drives better than Honda and Toyota, which has inflated 2nd hand prices. Mazdas are reliable and cheap to service. 

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1967661

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1936091

I agree, much much better made....actually it's a ford, but they known for drinking gas.....actually highest rated small car out there safety etc..is a suzuki swift...5 star

3/or 4 cylinder

On 9/28/2017 at 4:44 PM, MatteoBassini said:

2015/16 Ford Fiesta can be bought at 300,000 because no one wants to buy them.

This be very true....

11 hours ago, Muzarella said:

Follow your gut. You are right! Best second hand small car in the market. Honda Jazz.

Until u have accident, it's over....very dangerous toy car....why u think up to 70 % vehicles in Thailand are trucks, keeping in mind Thailand rated number 2 in asia for worst roads, take a truck anyday..

On 9/26/2017 at 9:57 PM, naboo said:

Suzuki Swift and Ciaz, Nissan Almera and March

Plenty of 2016 versions of all 4 versions on one2car at your price. Personally I'd go for the Ciaz - see this one, for example.

Suzuki is a 5 started car, rated best small car...many awards...Nissan Almera...Fantastic...had two...be green car cheaper to maintain, excellent service dept,..Me its a truck or never

I have been very happy with Nissan March , I had it for 4 years before I sold it recently for 275k.  

I am a tall person and I choose March because inside you can streatch out your legs , even if it's a small car, unlike similar sized cars like Mazda.

Very reliable car and you can park almost anywhere. 

Also I have to add Nissan March and Almeira been very popular in Thailand for a long time and it was easy to sell my car. 

56bbd43ad2c86d9ccbd2a6be3a4a0e14--to-be-

Edited by balo

On 9/28/2017 at 5:49 PM, DavisH said:

What are your priorities? Economy, size, performance? Jazz and vios are good and reliable but are expensive second hand. If you want more comfort and size, get a slightly older car - maybe a previous mazda 3. For smaller cars, one of the ecocars may be good value. There are a lot in the market for 300K now and are much newer than vios/jazz for the same price. The ciaz is a good size. I have a swift and an older honda civic - the swift gets around well and good on fuel, but the larger size of the civic makes it more comfortable to drive (more power too).

Swift is Highly rated,,,,5 star with many awards, rated best small car in asia...award..their is a 3 or 4 cylinder version...suzuki is actually part chevy

19 hours ago, sirineou said:

Tired of renting a car every year that I come or the wife comes at a month or two at the time, but did not want anything too expensive since we are not there most of the year and the car will be driven by my wife's sister.

So we purchased a 2013 Mitsubishi Mirage, 1.2 liter engine ,Auto trany. one owner and 36,000 kilometers. for 279000. 

(power windows, power locks, alarm, automatic folding mirrors etc)

I never owned a car with such small engine, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The car wants to run,

We constantly had to remind ourselves to slow down so we don't get a camera ticket. 

When we went to the airport we had two large suitcases in the back with out folding the back seats down, my mother in law, sister in law, my wife and me, and we were cruising at 120 km effortlessly , at slightly over 2,000 RPM ,  

For the money, I am very impressed.

It also highest rated for fuel economy   20 and the march 18..suppose to have good crash results as well...i take a truck with diesel anyday, winner all around

15 hours ago, stephenterry said:

You actually have a wide choice of 2nd hand vehicles at that price. Although a tad more expensive it's best to stick to the main Thai dealers, as it's less likely you'll be sold a dud by a backstreet boyo. And it depends where you're living. If in Chiang Mai, look at the Rimping board, several cars owned by ex-pats for sale could also be an alternative source. There's actually a clean looking Audi saloon on sale on the Hang Dong road near Tesco Lotus heading into town, but that could be a risky buy.

Wife drives a Mazda 2 and I drive a Honda Brio Amaze saloon. The Honda is far superior and less costly to run. Same engine as the Jazz and very quick off the mark, with a tight turning circle. Can't fault the value for money. 

Until u get in a accident, curtains...fold up like a according...thailand rated 2 worst roads in asia....take a truck anyday

12 minutes ago, balo said:

I have been very happy with Nissan March , I had it for 4 years before I sold it recently for 275k.  

I am a tall person and I choose March because inside you can streatch out your legs , even if it's a small car, unlike similar sized cars like Mazda.

Very reliable car and you can park almost anywhere. 

Also I have to add Nissan March and Almeira been very popular in Thailand for a long time and it was easy to sell my car. 

56bbd43ad2c86d9ccbd2a6be3a4a0e14--to-be-

Nissan makes great cars and TRUCKS....good choice

2 hours ago, yrag said:

It also highest rated for fuel economy   20 and the march 18..suppose to have good crash results as well...i take a truck with diesel anyday, winner all around

I agree, 

I had a Chevy Colorado That I loved but sold when I moved back to the states a few years ago, will be moving back to Thailand in a couple of years , and will be getting another  one. A Diesel pickup truck  is the way to go.

10 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

When buying any car in Thailand beware of cars that are being reconditioned and resold after being underwater from flooding.  More out there than you think.

Good point... you have to be careful... there is a guy living down the soi from me who gets total wrecks.. unbelievably smashed. He works them over and when they are finished they look much better than you would believe possible..  I wouldn't want to drive one! 

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

I agree, 

I had a Chevy Colorado That I loved but sold when I moved back to the states a few years ago, will be moving back to Thailand in a couple of years , and will be getting another  one. A Diesel pickup truck  is the way to go.

How much is a budget diesel pickup in thailand?

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Good point... you have to be careful... there is a guy living down the soi from me who gets total wrecks.. unbelievably smashed. He works them over and when they are finished they look much better than you would believe possible..  I wouldn't want to drive one! 

What are some tips to tell the difference between a totaled car that is refabricated vs one that has never crashed?

9 hours ago, yrag said:

Until u get in a accident, curtains...fold up like a according...thailand rated 2 worst roads in asia....take a truck anyday

I agree you're safer in a truck but I've been driving my March for 4 years without any accidents . Mostly in the city and Pattaya- Bangkok , and a few trips up to Chiang Mai .  Accidents can happen but most of the deadly ones are caused by speed and drunk driving.