soistalker

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chrissables said:

Anyone here can give advice for the best machine and where to buy to make espresso in Pattaya. I don't need a large fancy machine just espresso and a foamer for the milk.

They have a big selection at Boncafe Nua.

A buddy ordered one on line and said it was less expensive.

All of them are overpriced in Thailand, I brought one with me from Europe 5 years ago and paid €230 . Still working fine. 

But I agree Makro is worth a visit , cheaper than Bon Cafe. 

On 10/5/2017 at 4:38 PM, chrissables said:

Anyone here can give advice for the best machine and where to buy to make espresso in Pattaya. I don't need a large fancy machine just espresso and a foamer for the milk.

I bought the Gaggia Classic from Central, and then added a P.I.D. to help control the temperature. Works well, but the advice is to spend twice on a grinder compared to the coffee machine, so it can get expensive.... Great coffee though.

46 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

You can't make expresso in one of those. Expresso is made by forcing hot water under pressure through finely ground beans.

That is exactly what the pot does.

The pot in the  photo is indeed an espresso maker. It is not a percolator or drip pot.

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

That is exactly what the pot does.

The pot in the  photo is indeed an espresso maker. It is not a percolator or drip pot.

Strictly speaking, it's not expresso; but if it tastes good...

http://gatheringgroundscafe.com/why-stovetop-espresso-is-not-the-same-as-true-espresso/

I went to Tesco Lotus the other day and I found some British imported coffe beans from South America. And they had a lot of it in stock! From Colombia, Costa Rica and Brazil.  And the price is only 185 baht for 250 gram. Now that's cheaper than a lot of the other imports from S-America. 

So I just had to try them and I'm happy I did . I went for the Colombian Supremo coffee, the taste is just perfect , the way I like my coffee. Not too strong , not bitter, but a nutty sweet taste. 

I will go back and try the other ones but this is now my new favorite.  

2017-10-12_00.40.03.jpg

Edited by balo

• 2 months later...

I have also been looking for any type of reasonably priced decent coffee beans here, or even ground coffee without success. The best prices I have seen here seem to be around 1 baht per gram, which is insane for a coffee producing country. Why there are no market stalls selling coffee beans like rice, i don't know.

For reference, in Canada, we are normally paying the equivalent of 0.3 baht per gram for a good imported Columbian. Amazingly, I can buy .9 kg bags of the Fair Trade marketed 'Doi Chaang' coffee beans from Thailand imported into Canada for 0.7 baht per gram on the other side of the world at home.

On Tuesday, Benjamit's best price was 200 baht for 250 grams of fresh roasted Arabica coffee beans. Friendship was about double that. Tesco Lotus was not a viable option, but I have not been to Makro yet.

I don't think it's double that I paid 70THB for a 100g there unless I am missing something. I've just got into fresh coffee got a grinder and a pour over thing of the Internet trying to master it as week speak. Not herd Benjamit will Check it out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I used to get them at Friendship or BigC-X, they had beans in with the ground coffee and I think they were Bon Cafe brand. It has been a while as my machine broke and I when I saw the price of a good new one my freshly ground coffee morning fix came to an end.
I got a grinder for 269THB and a pour over thing for about 200THB.

3 hours ago, juice777 said:

I got a grinder for 269THB and a pour over thing for about 200THB.

Yea I tried a grinder but it didn't work out too well. Then went to a regular old drip/ percolator and buying ground coffee. The old Saeco machine I had was pretty good, put in beans and water and it did everything else, plus had a steam jet to make that frothy hot milk to pour over.

Modern UK trend is simpler machines and paying a lot for these cartridges containing the coffee, not the real thing at all!

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The old Saeco machine I had was pretty good, put in beans and water and it did everything else, plus had a steam jet to make that frothy hot milk to pour over.

Saeco Xsmall ? I still have it and working perfect after 5 years. 

I agree the cartridges they use today is more or less a scam so the companies will earn good money .  

I bought an electric coffee grinder on Lazada. About 700 baht. Ordered on Sunday afternoon, paid at the 7-11 and had it delivered about 10.00 am the following Monday morning.

Don't waste your time trying to find one in the shops. From my experience in Bangkok lots of blenders, fruit smoothie makers and expensive full blown coffee machines available but few basic grinders, if any, available.

Very satisfying to grind your own beans to make fresh coffee.

On 9/29/2017 at 12:16 PM, balo said:

Actually coffee beans are everywhere, in any supermarket so surprised you have not seen them . 

I agree. Every supermarket has them, but there are so many brands of instant coffee packs on sale here (3-in-one type in sachets) that takes up 90% of their shelf space, they can be hard to find.

Just now, mogandave said:

After a few months here I learned to drink instant and never looked back.

Red Cup is everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

LOL> I have nice beans but my wife keeps buying all this collagen etc added, diet instant coffee in sachets. It's actually expensive at about over 100 per 10 coffees. She keeps making it for me and I'm starting to like it. She won't drink my brewed coffee no more.:sad:

Great tip on Benjamit, been thoroughly enjoying their fine beans. Anybody know about their roasting schedule? Based on the dates on the bags i've bought so far it seems that they roast on at least sundays / mondays depending on the week (or perhaps the type of bean/roast?), but do they also roast beans in the midweek? I'd like to buy them as fresh as possible.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:44 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

I bought an electric coffee grinder on Lazada. About 700 baht. Ordered on Sunday afternoon, paid at the 7-11 and had it delivered about 10.00 am the following Monday morning.

Don't waste your time trying to find one in the shops. From my experience in Bangkok lots of blenders, fruit smoothie makers and expensive full blown coffee machines available but few basic grinders, if any, available.

Very satisfying to grind your own beans to make fresh coffee.

Most cheap blenders come with an attachment that makes "grinding" coffee easy. It's more like slashing than grinding, but I can't see why it would make any difference.

You find doing it "satisfying". I just find it a chore LOL.