Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I don't think I am going out on a limb here to say that you prefer to see the big boobs on a woman, more so than on a man... 

On a rare visit to Jomtien, I was sitting in a restaurant, across from the Gulf, enjoying my view of the gently rolling surf, when a shirtless fellow with a hairy back and large moles, sat in between me and my view of the sea... it did not help my appetite... 

Perhaps he thought the moles were a 'beauty spot '.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, impulse said:

In over 6 years, I've never left my BKK apartment complex without long pants, a collared shirt and socks.  And within the complex, the only time I'm missing one of those items is to swim in the pool.

Still, I object to characterizing any human being as "quality" or not, based on what they wear in the tropics on holiday.  While I'm appalled at the appearance of some of the nicest, most generous people I know, it's easy to separate the person from their quirks.

They may have different standards of dress than I do, but that doesn't make them less than me, or anyone else walking the planet. 

Well said sir. I couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Not too keen on the shirtless look myself, more so because the sweat ends up on the furniture. Nothing pisses me off more than if someone turns up to visit me and decided to sit shirtless on my couch, leaving me with the BO.

That's a good reason I bought faux leather or vinyl furniture...this is the tropics after all

42 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Cheap air travel has unfortunately made it possible for these vile poeple to come to Thailand. 

Yet, a lot of them are the wealthy ones.  And some of the budget travelers are the most respectful...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonray said:
4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Not too keen on the shirtless look myself, more so because the sweat ends up on the furniture. Nothing pisses me off more than if someone turns up to visit me and decided to sit shirtless on my couch, leaving me with the BO.

That's a good reason I bought faux leather or vinyl furniture...this is the tropics after all

And it's not as if wearing a shirt cancels out the odor.  Industrial strength deodorant and a lot of showers are the only things that do it for me in BKK.  And I've learned that wearing dark shirts is a no-no unless I can change them when I come indoors.  The salt stains make it look like someone poured dust on me when I get cooled off and the sweat dries up.  That's been driven home since black became the color of choice in the past 12 months...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, impulse said:

In over 6 years, I've never left my BKK apartment complex without long pants, a collared shirt and socks.  And within the complex, the only time I'm missing one of those items is to swim in the pool.

Still, I object to characterizing any human being as "quality" or not, based on what they wear in the tropics on holiday.  While I'm appalled at the appearance of some of the nicest, most generous people I know, it's easy to separate the person from their quirks.

They may have different standards of dress than I do, but that doesn't make them less than me, or anyone else walking the planet. 

Socks in the tropics?  Don Johnson would not be impressed!

8 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Several Thai Immigration Offices have posted signs that it's not OK to wear shorts or thongs:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21581&stc=1

Several? Or all? Would be interesting to know. 

The ones I have been to in the past and the one I frequent now, I have not seen any signs, nor have the staff had any issues with my dress. I would say I was overdressed based on the other expats there. 

Edited by wildewillie89

On 10/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, impulse said:

Well said!

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Pilotman said:

Why do so many Farangs walk and ride about shirtless off the beach areas?  Okay, if you  are lucky enough to look like Adonis on a good day then maybe you have some justification and pride in your own body ( although I would save it for the beach and pool)  but the ones I  inevitably see are old, fat and  look ridiculous. I saw one in  SCG yesterday and  another two in Tesco the day before.  I could hear the Thais talking about them and  their appearance in the most derogatory terms.  I just dont get it. 

Why?  Because some just get it into their pointy little heads that they're "entitled" to wear what they please anywhere and everywhere in a "beach town".   'Can't blame the locals at all for their reaction to such in-their-faces slovenliness from foreigners.  I avoid these orcs myself.

Edited by hawker9000

17 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

But you clearly cared when you realised you were in the dunces class where spelling was concerned. Your habitual use of spell check has done you the world of good. B-. keep it up.

Mods i thought grammer police come troll come stalkers. Were discouraged from this forum or is it a case of if your face fits!.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:44 AM, Pilotman said:

Why do so many Farangs walk and ride about shirtless off the beach areas?  Okay, if you  are lucky enough to look like Adonis on a good day then maybe you have some justification and pride in your own body ( although I would save it for the beach and pool)  but the ones I  inevitably see are old, fat and  look ridiculous. I saw one in  SCG yesterday and  another two in Tesco the day before.  I could hear the Thais talking about them and  their appearance in the most derogatory terms.  I just dont get it. 

It is a bit like being an Aussie and going to Bali, you spend a lot of time cringing at the less than salubrious tourists, the Expats less so and the fly in fly out workers are generally pretty good.  The type described in the above come into the same category, totally cringeworty for most of us.