Shirtless Farangs

Pilotman

You are asking why people walk around shirtless.

I think it's because it's quite useless for us men. In a few minutes of walking, my t-shirt is wet and have to be cleaned.

Thais do it too! And they are not models. Life is not a constant model show on live TV...

You really have nothing else to worry about? Lucky you!

Edited by alexlm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Yes, even by using punctuation (comma's), long sentences is a "no-no". Violating the KISS-Rule (Keep It Simple and Stupid).
HeHe.
Cheers.

The way I heard it, the KISS rule is "Keep It Simple, Stupid" 

And by the way, the plural of "comma" is "commas", not "comma's"! Just sayin'!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah bumboy do1 that's urban dic not Collins. 

Seriously though using that underlines the likely hood you are under 35.

Seriously though, arsy - you are totally so wrong (To put it in the modern vernacular)

Just now, sambum said:

Seriously though, arsy - you are totally so wrong (To put it in the modern vernacular)

Nah that's BS you speak like a kid you said a few things only youngsters say. You're a spotty digital nomad. What YT channels you into? 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah that's BS you speak like a kid you said a few things only youngsters say. You're a spotty digital nomad. What YT channels you into? 

Like I said, "to put it in the modern vernacular, you are totally so wrong" but to put it in proper English, "you are totally wrong"! From  "English Language and Usage" :-

"The rationale can be found in its evolution. In informal use, words ending in ing started appearing with the final g dropped: goin'. This has extended to many words with a penultimate n, so andbecame an'." 

You should have gone to school more often! There should be a full stop after "kid"! And by the way, I'm an old kid - the wrong side of 70, so "You into" implies that YOU are the kid, not me!

Anyway, enough of this off topic nonsense, arsy - it's time for my cocoa - good night!

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The primary thing to remember about colons is that you only use them after statements that are complete sentences. Never use a colon after a sentence fragment.

When you study a set of words searching for the main clause, you need to find three things: a subject, a verb, and a complete thought. If one of these three items is missing, a sentence fragment results. For example - " On the other hand: "

Some posters should try looking up their own 'colon'. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rott said:

Strange? No, no surprise at all.

I keep meaning to start a list of all the different spellings of farang I see. Not too many different pronunciations about though. Yes I know, get a life, drink more etc.

I am told by those that should know, that there is little transliteration possible between Thai and English, hence the Farang/Falang argument.

I also need to get a life apparently and drink less  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I walk around with no shoes, I find it very freeing. I don't give a **** what anyone thinks. At the RBSC they wouldn't let me in the restaurant with shorts, but got into the bar.

I assume everyone is getting with the dress code, even if you don't usually give a ****

image.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The primary thing to remember about colons is that you only use them after statements that are complete sentences. Never use a colon after a sentence fragment.

When you study a set of words searching for the main clause, you need to find three things: a subject, a verb, and a complete thought. If one of these three items is missing, a sentence fragment results. For example - " On the other hand: "

"But then again . . . :,*?" Notice correctly-placed quote marks, not separated by a space from the quoted text. Jeeze, I'm getting as bad as you lot. It's R E, next, so that should be fun.

12 minutes ago, grollies said:

I assume everyone is getting with the dress code, even if you don't usually give a ****

image.jpeg

This is for Thai citizens.

Do you really expect the backpacker crowd in nearby khao San road to be dressing up?

I was at the Queen mother's funeral in 1995 and there were 2 million people there. If I go to the coming funeral I will of course be dressed properly.

On 10/3/2017 at 3:10 AM, pgrahmm said:

Because they are devoid of decency & respect for the culture and the people of that culture....

Or they just don't know it's not normal here.  Not everybody has been here for years, I imagine a lot of the ones you see doing this are on holiday.

It's not lesser educated tourists, they're just ignorant of this particular cultural norm.  Not the same.

In any case, when you look at this from outside the box, it really should not matter what anybody is wearing, it's pompous and pretentious to judge people based on what type of fabric they have on and it's silly to assume that because somebody happens to be wearing a suit or a bowtie that they are somehow more important or more intellectual than other people.  That sort of attitude belongs back in the 1950s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Do you really expect the backpacker crowd in nearby khao San road to be dressing up?

I was at the Queen mother's funeral in 1995 and there were 2 million people there. If I go to the coming funeral I will of course be dressed properly.

Thai citizens and residents. I know what I'll be wearing when I got out 13th to 27th.

It's called respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thai citizens and residents. I know what I'll be wearing when I go out 13th to 27th.

It's called respect.

• Like 1

at Diana's funeral no one had to tell anyone what to wear, to be honest no one cared what anyone was wearing, everyone was respectful in their own way as is right in a free society. a huge amount or respect was shown.

thai's do it their way, we do it ours, neither is right or wrong.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I am told by those that should know, that there is little transliteration possible between Thai and English, hence the Farang/Falang argument.

I also need to get a life apparently and drink less  

Not an argument at all just an observation about the number of different spellings I see, farang/falang/falung/ferlung/ferlang etc.

And the bit about getting a life and drinking less was aimed at myself. Self-deprecating humour is not a common feature of TVF so I understand your confusion.

2 minutes ago, rott said:

Not an argument at all just an observation about the number of different spellings I see, farang/falang/falung/ferlung/ferlang etc.

And the bit about getting a life and drinking less was aimed at myself. Self-deprecating humour is not a common feature of TVF so I understand your confusion.

Had to get the dictionary out for that one....And I ain't not nohow one a dem....:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Had to get the dictionary out for that one....And I ain't not nohow one a dem....:stoner:

My Church's brogues need soleing and heeling (the Loakes aren't too far behind) can you recommend anywhere in Bangkok?

3 minutes ago, rott said:

My Church's brogues need soleing and heeling (the Loakes aren't too far behind) can you recommend anywhere in Bangkok?

Sadly no, but I could have done them personally a few years back, l fixed loads of those brands...:thumbsup: