18 brands of chocolate products on sale in markets tainted with lead and cadmium

webfact

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Cadmium and lead, no wonder chocolate is so expensive here,

which is a good thing for me,as if the price was reasonable I

would eat too much, the only reason that names of the products

were published was because none are ThaI.

regards worgeordie

At IKEA it costs 3 (or 4?) bars for 100 baht...not too much me thinks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Trying to push higher-quality imported chocolate out of the market, as the Thai consumers now realize Thai-manufactured chocolate is nothing more than sugar and artificial chocolate substitute.

It's the same thing, surprisingly, with all the local store-sold brands of Thai ice cream.

You might think ice cream sold in the stores in Thailand would have CREAM or at least milk and cream as an ingredient. But amazingly, they DON'T.

Try reading the labels sometime for the local brands and you'll find: sugar, palm oil, whey solids, glucose, lots of chemicals and stabilizers, etc etc.

It's ice cream without any CREAM!

What are the journalists doing in this country? Only repeating the stupid proclamations of the government or other institures instead of looking for the things behind and verify the results of such brainless statements of a foundation that seems to have no idea about anything: Better explain to the consumers that it is all about!

But well, seems like the journalists here are also brainless!

All the brands should blame the foundation at court!

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's the same thing, surprisingly, with all the local store-sold brands of Thai ice cream.

You might think ice cream sold in the stores in Thailand would have CREAM or at least milk and cream as an ingredient. But amazingly, they DON'T.

Try reading the labels sometime for the local brands and you'll find: sugar, palm oil, whey solids, glucose, lots of chemicals and stabilizers, etc etc.

It's ice cream without any CREAM!

Much the same as ice cream sold throughout the world then.

This will kill much less people than road accidents, hormones and antibiotics full chicken and pigs grown in the country and balcony jumping. non compliance with airlines safety and even local idiots. Lead and cadmium traces into chocolate is yesterdays news and perfectly controled by serious chocolate makers... hot air and smoke screen 

7 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Much the same as ice cream sold throughout the world then.

I don't know where you come from. But where I come from, a product can't be labeled as ICE CREAM unless it at least contains some cream. And the ice cream brands where I come are made with CREAM, as are imported brands here like Haagen Dazs, Ben & Jerry, Movenpick, New Zealand Natural, etc etc.

Compare the ingredient labels of Thai local brands like Walls and Nestle with the non-Thai brands I mentioned above, and you'll see there almost no resemblance between the two. In my country, the Thai products couldn't actually call themselves/label themselves as ICE CREAM, because they have none of the latter ingredient, nor even any milk most of the time.

21 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The   Brand  name  may be  Swiss  but  check  the  manufacturers  locations.  lol   Under  Licence  has  a  lot  of   "licence".

Lots of Nestle stuff is made here in Thailand. But AFAIK, the Lindt chocolates are all actually imported from abroad.

On a related topic, I was reading the labels on the local Snickers chocolate bars sold here in Thailand, and oddly, they're manufactured and imported from China. That was the end of me ever eating Snickers bars in Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

"found to be tainted with lead and cadmium although the amounts of the two toxic substances detected are within the set standards"

Tainted within the set standards. Yep, that sounds reassuring to me. Just wish these clowns would stick to picking bananas with their feet.

Didn't we have a post recently where 16 or so Thai registered airlines were found to be in breach of safety regulations, but they couldn't be named. Chocolate companies, who haven't done anything wrong, apparently, can be named. What's wrong with this sketch .....?

15 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Whey solids.  There is your milk component.

lmao !  Whey  solids.  Yes. A  dairy   component.that used  to  be  dumped in  rivers  or  given as  free  pig  food. Then  the  discovery  that it  could  be  legally   used  as the base  component  of   many things  such as " Icecream"  or "Protein"  body  building supplements.

Even  with  its  inclusion  "Icecream" is  a deceptive misnomer  for   Frozen  Confection.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Cadmium and lead, no wonder chocolate is so expensive here,

which is a good thing for me,as if the price was reasonable I

would eat too much, the only reason that names of the products

were published was because none are ThaI.

regards worgeordie

One wonders if any Thai brands were even tested.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The   Brand  name  may be  Swiss  but  check  the  manufacturers  locations.  lol   Under  Licence  has  a  lot  of   "licence".

Indeed.

Lindt chocolate:            Lindt & Sprüngli has six factories in the following locations: Kilchberg, Switzerland; Aachen, Germany; Oloron-Sainte-Marie, France; Induno Olona, Italy; Gloggnitz, Austria; and Stratham, New Hampshire in the United States.

Toblerone:     It is a mix of almonds, nougat, honey and chocolate invented by Theodor Tobler in 1908 together with his nephew Emil Baumann. It is available in 122 countries. It is the last chocolate bar still produced in Switzerland, all other Swiss chocolate ismade in the developing countries.

Nestle: Worldwide.

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Chocolates seem similar to watches and currency....stick to Swiss Made © !!!!

I should take a step or two back from the Cuckoo clock, Swiss Chocolate hasn't got a prayer against Belgian

As for watches, yes a reasonable point