Forget the pretties with the mountains - finish this mountain of "kapow" and eat for free!

rooster59

Forget the pretties with the mountains - finish this mountain of "kapow" and eat for free!

d1-horz.jpg

Image: Daily News

Following the story earlier in the week when a Bangkok curry shop introduced well endowed pretties onto the sales team, comes a new gimmick to attract customers.

This time it is the tried and tested attraction from Western countries of offering a huge plate of food. If you can eat it all in one sitting you don't have to pay.

The food in question is Thailand's most popular dish of "phat kapow" or meat fried with basil over rice.

The jumbo plate is really designed for 4 or 5 persons - there is a mountain of rice, topped with a similarly vast helping of meat surrounded by four fried eggs and three sliced cucumbers.

The chicken version is 200 baht, crispy pork 250 baht and seafood variety 300 baht.

All you have to do for a free lunch is eat it all alone and finish within 30 minutes.

Annat Sritrai, 29, said her brothers and sisters were trying the new idea after their mum fell sick and they took over the business.

Hard economic times meant thinking outside the box!

Regular plates of kapow are still available for those with normal appetites.

If you fancy taking up the challenge - and no mention was made by Daily News that big westerners were banned - you can find the shop on the Chonburi bypass between the Phanat Nikom and Ban Bung turn offs.

Earlier in the week an entrepreneur at a Huay Kwang curry shop in Bangkok talked about hard economic times as he advertised pretties with large chests selling food.

He also had a wheel of fortune offering free meals to customers who bought ten plates of curry.

A steady stream of particularly men were seen heading for his shop.

So maybe this idea will attract hungry foreigners after a free dinner!

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-07

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Annat Sritrai, 29, said her brothers and sisters were trying the new idea after their mum fell sick and they took over the business.

What good kids, but they shouldn't waste food.  It is doubtful one person could eat that much. 

That looks a lot larger than five times a normal portion of that dish as served in Thailand over rice.

I think I could easily eat if it was actually "only" five times the normal Thailand portion if arriving hungry and eating for the day. Ten times? No. 

But that's different than WANTING to ... 

As most know the typical portion is different when ordering pad krapow over rice (much smaller) vs. ordering a plate of it separately. But they're serving the feast over rice so I suppose that might their usual full a la carte order times five. Even then, it looks like more than five.

Deceptive. 

Which brings up a more general issue. Many foreigners comment that Thai food is very cheap in Thailand. They often fail to account for the very typical small or very small portions. Meaning it often isn't nearly as cheap as you think it is. Which is fine of course, you can order more dishes and taste different things. 

A custom I've noticed in Chinese restaurants in Thailand is a default "family size" portion (not cheap of course) which is great if you're dining with a family but really not great at all if you're not. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What good kids, but they shouldn't waste food.  It is doubtful one person could eat that much. 

I would think if you can not eat it all you have to pay 200 baht but you can take the rest home?

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That looks a lot larger than five times a normal portion of that dish as served in Thailand over rice.

I think I could easily eat if it was actually "only" five times the normal Thailand portion if arriving hungry and eating for the day. Ten times? No. 

But that's different than WANTING to ... 

As most know the typical portion is different when ordering pad krapow over rice (much smaller) vs. ordering a plate of it separately. But they're serving the feast over rice so I suppose that might their usual full a la carte order times five. Even then, it looks like more than five.

Deceptive. 

Which brings up a more general issue. Many foreigners comment that Thai food is very cheap in Thailand. They often fail to account for the very typical small or very small portions. Meaning it often isn't nearly as cheap as you think it is. Which is fine of course, you can order more dishes and taste different things. 

A custom I've noticed in Chinese restaurants in Thailand is a default "family size" portion (not cheap of course) which is great if you're dining with a family but really not great at all if you're not. 

Sorry but what restaurant food can you buy for $ 1.30 in the US or UK ? Thats what a full plate cost where I stay. By a full plate I mean a meal that feeds a 90 kg guy. Served with this rice dish is a bowl of soup and free ice and water. Yes there is some people selling small portions but that is not the places we go to as you have the choice of buying a real full portion at your restaurant of choice at a fraction of the cost of food in the west. 

37 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Sorry but what restaurant food can you buy for $ 1.30 in the US or UK ? Thats what a full plate cost where I stay. By a full plate I mean a meal that feeds a 90 kg guy. Served with this rice dish is a bowl of soup and free ice and water. Yes there is some people selling small portions but that is not the places we go to as you have the choice of buying a real full portion at your restaurant of choice at a fraction of the cost of food in the west. 

Pad Thai cost 7 to 10 dollars in the states, in Thailand 60 baht at some places cheaper at others.

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Pad Thai cost 7 to 10 dollars in the states, in Thailand 60 baht at some places cheaper at others.

That's true even a small portion of pad Thai in the west won't be as cheap as 60 baht. But I've seen some real low prices there at Thai temple food events there catering to expat Thais.

I've also seen 300 baht pad Thai in Thailand. Seen it. Not ordered it. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The restaurant is not wasting food, they're selling food, unless you can eat the whole lot in which case they don't charge.  Once you've bought it you can do what you want with it.

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Try a Thai restaurant in Hagley UK rubbish small portions, cold food for 2, £50 with a false smile and then you will moan about quality. 10 times better off the street stalls in BK