Soldiers raid unofficial Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan

rooster59

On 10/8/2017 at 4:49 AM, Dave67 said:

You people don't know anything about Thailand, no matter how long you've lived here you don't get it

wow. interesting comment. do spill the beans oh yee of all knowledge. please do. at what stage did you realize you got it?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/8/2017 at 5:49 AM, Dave67 said:

it's about respect though is it not, I'm the first one to take the piss out them, but this thread makes me cringe a bit surprised it's not been locked, highly offensive to Thais and the big fella 

no. think about it. you assume you know everything about thailand. no one said a word about him as they have repsect. explain to me please how you have a higher understanding than anyone on this forum david. please do. i've lived here more than my own country and i think i'll never truly get it the same way i don't understand my home country. so you answer and explain. i always thought that those who claim to know were farthest from the truth. i've been wrong before so will stand corrected by your answer. doubt it

21 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Original Fullmoon Party on Koh Phangan was closed down. Fullmoon Party on Phuket Paradise Beach has taken place completely.

Some organizers seem to have special connections.

Could you not let Dave67 know the names of the Thai organizers so he can tell them that they don't understand Thai culture? :w00t:

1 hour ago, longtom said:

Could you not let Dave67 know the names of the Thai organizers so he can tell them that they don't understand Thai culture? :w00t:

Decent Thais, not Mafia families, most policeman and officials.Why piss of the decent ones with this behavior, yes maybe they didn't know, but most on TV should know this is offensive.Also gives the corrupt establishment a finger to point at Farangs lowering even lower our Reputation with decent Thais. If you cant see the difference then that's up to you and your fan club

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, Happy enough said:

wow. interesting comment. do spill the beans oh yee of all knowledge. please do. at what stage did you realize you got it?

I think he means that no matter how long any of us live in LOS we'll always just be "the farang".

IMO no farang is ever going to understand the Thais, no matter how long they live here.

However, there are some that think they do because they don't know enough to know that they'll never know.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Did they also have the chance to draft some hefty Baht fines for the smokers ?

They found 10 smokers so are now 1 million baht richer.  

On 08/10/2017 at 9:32 AM, Thian said:

Guess you haven't seen the millions of Thai wearing black all days.. now why would that be???

I respect and empathise with the wishes of the Thai people, with their wish to mourn their king. Holding an unofficial "Full Moon Party" at this time was particularly crass, but perhaps I could point out that a very significant proportion of those wearing black for a year are doing so because they have been ordered so to do.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, JAG said:

I respect and empathise with the wishes of the Thai people, with their wish to mourn their king. Holding an unofficial "Full Moon Party" at this time was particularly crass, but perhaps I could point out that a very significant proportion of those wearing black for a year are doing so because they have been ordered so to do.

particularly crass

Few points.

Many young people that go to the FMP are pretty ignorant as to anything going on in the real world, so probably ignorant as to anything else that happens in LOS. Did they actually understand the significance Thais place on the present situation? IMO probably not.

These are people that turn up to party and get wasted one night a month on an exotic island - they are not culturally interested adventurers.

Was there anything published/ posted/ displayed to inform them that they should not party on the beach? Probably not.

Would they consider that THEY should be required to mourn? IMO probably not.

Did the authorities send an official to ask them to leave the beach before sending soldiers to harass young people guilty of nothing against the laws in Thailand?

Will every single western young person on Samui that knows of what happened NOT post on social media and tell every single person they know in the whole world what happened to them and tell everyone to never go to Samui ever again? Time will tell on that.

If in the future, there are posts about how the hotels on Phangan and Samui are half empty, could look to this to explain it.

Up in Chiang Mai, a city where many tourists come for the culture, it's looking like the western tourists are conspicuous by their absence. There were more in the low season than now.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

particularly crass

Few points.

Many young people that go to the FMP are pretty ignorant as to anything going on in the real world, so probably ignorant as to anything else that happens in LOS. Did they actually understand the significance Thais place on the present situation? IMO probably not.

These are people that turn up to party and get wasted one night a month on an exotic island - they are not culturally interested adventurers.

Was there anything published/ posted/ displayed to inform them that they should not party on the beach? Probably not.

Would they consider that THEY should be required to mourn? IMO probably not.

Did the authorities send an official to ask them to leave the beach before sending soldiers to harass young people guilty of nothing against the laws in Thailand?

Will every single western young person on Samui that knows of what happened NOT post on social media and tell every single person they know in the whole world what happened to them and tell everyone to never go to Samui ever again? Time will tell on that.

If in the future, there are posts about how the hotels on Phangan and Samui are half empty, could look to this to explain it.

Up in Chiang Mai, a city where many tourists come for the culture, it's looking like the western tourists are conspicuous by their absence. There were more in the low season than now.

Yes, I take your point about many of the young party goers being unaware of the significance of what is happening. Indeed a few years ago I sat adjacent to a group of such individuals on an Emirarates flight. I was amazed at how little they knew of the country they were flying to, and those they were over.

But, those that provide the quite significant amount of infrastructure these parties require - both Thai and Farang, must have been aware?

I also take your point about foreign tourists. Chiang Rai has never been so empty.

Of course there are many reasons for the decline in Western tourists, (the Chinese for the most part seem to give Chiang Rai a miss), but the haphazard nature of the application of restrictions and the current perception that Thailand is not welcoming tourists rather go together. Will this perception pass?

5 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, I take your point about many of the young party goers being unaware of the significance of what is happening. Indeed a few years ago I sat adjacent to a group of such individuals on an Emirarates flight. I was amazed at how little they knew of the country they were flying to, and those they were over.

But, those that provide the quite significant amount of infrastructure these parties require - both Thai and Farang, must have been aware?

I also take your point about foreign tourists. Chiang Rai has never been so empty.

Of course there are many reasons for the decline in Western tourists, (the Chinese for the most part seem to give Chiang Rai a miss), but the haphazard nature of the application of restrictions and the current perception that Thailand is not welcoming tourists rather go together. Will this perception pass?

Is it really difficult to understand that the decline is only in your mind ? Figures show that more and more tourists visit Thailand every year. It's so clear that if the country was in need of tourists or jobs, things would change quickly.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:56 PM, JAG said:

Easily explained, IMO. They DIDN'T KNOW that the FMP would be cancelled. After all, it was a significant amount of time before the week in question. Were the FMP on the 24th, I think they should have known.

All comes down to when the people that sent out the edict did so. Far as I know, it was AFTER all the party goers had arrived.

They are still coming out with new "druthers" as with the official that wants all alcoholic consumption "discouraged" for 5 days.

What should have happened, was that the edict came out AT LEAST 3 months ago, and well publicised to all travel agents world wide, and all airlines so that they could advise party goers booking flights and hotels that it was a non starter.

Of course, that would have led to a situation where many Samui and Phangan hotels were virtually deserted.

Had that happened, I'd have been off to stay on Had Rin, as probably big discounts and the beach would have been deserted- just the way I like them.

If the number of farang tourists I saw outside the Chiang Mai night market at 7 pm on Saturday night is any indication, the word had already got out, and farang tourists are staying away in droves. Even in low season, it was difficult to walk down the pavements, but on Saturday, while the stalls still lined the pavements, I could count farang customers on two hands, and it was full speed ahead along the deserted pavements.

Will this perception pass?

Only time will tell. I'd expect it to have an effect for a while, depending on what is on social media now. I doubt the young people harassed by the soldiers will forgive any time soon.

I'll be keeping an eye on the situation, in case there are hotel discounts next FMP. Fingers crossed.

22 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

Is it really difficult to understand that the decline is only in your mind ? Figures show that more and more tourists visit Thailand every year. It's so clear that if the country was in need of tourists or jobs, things would change quickly.

It ALL depends on the demographic. Pattaya's bars and restaurants are customer devoid zones as farangs stay away, but tourist numbers are probably well up with all the Chinese, and the Russians may be returning. Neither demographic spend money in barbeers, and the Chinese tour groups only eat in certain restaurants.

The Chinese tour groups spend little in the Thai retail community.

So, Pattaya has lots of tourists, but the Thais are not making much money from them.