Buying home with Thai girlfriend advice

22 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

very true.. rent-a-thai don't buy

But when Thai women have that attitude with Farang you call then rip of merchants.! Pot kettle black. Ok for me but not for you attitude, love it farang double standards  at its very best.:violin:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

As always there will be differing views on this subject. I built in my Wifes  village have never had any problems with the family in fact quite the opposite.  Sure glad I did.

We had more problems when we rented in BKK bloody nightmare, looking back now wish we would have built and moved here 15 years ago instead of 5 years ago.

My comment was of course my experience over many years learning about Mrs.Trans family stuff, cos she tells me the crap going on.. 

But of course others may have different experiences, if it works out then great, but l know if l was near her lot in the beginning l would not be my daily jolly self here..classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.55c40a4ad7f6b7e3f3f149a15030557f.gif

41 minutes ago, superglue said:

I have been with the same lady for 14 years. Moreover I am 31 years older & her parents live on the property.

We have never separated.

We don't live in Isaan but very close.

Drink - I have been in AA for 33 years.

Boredom - sometimes. The only expat in our area is a Buddhist monk.

Nowhere does it say you built her a house, which is what this post is all about.......maybe you are still together because you don't drink - does she and/or her Pee Chai??  I once heard about an American Buddhist Monk in Ubon............nice place.

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

I had a few friends over time have this decision.

Most the time you cannot tell them, for they say..

"this one different, she have a good job, good family, i know her for a long time"..on and on

In EVERY case i seen the guy end up kicked out or just walk away because in the end the lady turn into such a bXtch you cannot live with her.

Also you will get asked for money for this and that from the family..it never ends!

If in Isaan, you will die of boredom or become and alky if have nothing to do.

My advice to you

In many provinces they have what like a village bank who loan money at a decent rate.

i would get the woman to borrow money...in HER name, telling her you will make the repayment every year as long as you with her.

If she starts with excuses or reason why she cant do it..then you know what  her motivation is from the start..

Rip you off for a free house!

Good advice, in most of Thailand you can buy an adequate house for about 2 million.  If you want to test the relationship, do what you say - garrantee the loan.  It goes south, she is stuck with the bill.

3 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Nowhere does it say you built her a house, which is what this post is all about.......maybe you are still together because you don't drink - does she and/or her Pee Chai??  I once heard about an American Buddhist Monk in Ubon............nice place.

I have met him.....:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Is it in Her Area.?

If you do happen to part ways --at a latter date....would you want to live there?

As you can not have it in your name you should look for some protection, maybe consider a 30 lease with subletting clause. 

Also both make Wills... If anything should happen to the lady-then Thai laws deem that the property be divided amongst her family.

Agree 100% with first part.

For the latter, it's his girlfriend, not his wife, so her family should not get anything of it, unless he marries her before buying it. Bought before marriage it's not marital property. Tell us if I'm wrong.

However, should buy condo which he can own outright and not near the family. Also only one bedroom so the family can't move in.

This would be a good test of her. If she demands to have it near family- JUST DON'T DO IT.

If happy to live far away from family, go for it.

Before doing anything, read The poisonous brother in law thread on the farang pub sub forum.

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

I had a few friends over time have this decision.

Most the time you cannot tell them, for they say..

"this one different, she have a good job, good family, i know her for a long time"..on and on

In EVERY case i seen the guy end up kicked out or just walk away because in the end the lady turn into such a bXtch you cannot live with her.

Also you will get asked for money for this and that from the family..it never ends!

If in Isaan, you will die of boredom or become and alky if have nothing to do.

My advice to you

In many provinces they have what like a village bank who loan money at a decent rate.

i would get the woman to borrow money...in HER name, telling her you will make the repayment every year as long as you with her.

If she starts with excuses or reason why she cant do it..then you know what  her motivation is from the start..

Rip you off for a free house!

Excellent advice. OP note this one as the gold star advice.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

For the latter, it's his girlfriend, not his wife, so her family should not get anything of it, unless he marries her before buying it. Bought before marriage it's not marital property. Tell us if I'm wrong

The family get all of it ThaiBL if they are not married AND there has not been a will made....Where do we see "The Boyfriend who paid for the house" for on the list below

If there is no Thai will, the intestate's assets must be distributed in accordance with the classes of relations as stipulated in the CCC Section 1629 which are, in order of priority:

descendants;

parents;

brothers and sisters of full blood;

brothers and sisters of half blood;

grandfathers and grandmothers;

uncles and aunts.

If he is her Husband (and no will) then 50% to him & rest to shared amongst some people (Aunts Uncles) he may have not even met...

Its important to have a Will even if you are married....there has been a number of threads on that issue

2 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

If you buy a house for your girlfriend get a 30 year lease registered on your behalf otherwise

she can kick you out

Then if you want 100% protection for the home marry here Then under Thai law you have a right to 50 % if the marriage

breaks up and you must sell it

If you want to be 100% sure dont buy it I have seen so many horror stories Under Thai law you really have little or no protection

Good luck selling the house if it's on her parent's property.

Otherwise, who would want to live in a house with the enemy next door?

If buying, far, far away.

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I paid for the construction of the house - 375sqm.

We have no children.

She is an only child & is university educated.

My wife & her father drink very little.

5 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

The family get all of it ThaiBL if they are not married AND there has not been a will made....Where do we see "The Boyfriend who paid for the house" for on the list below

If there is no Thai will, the intestate's assets must be distributed in accordance with the classes of relations as stipulated in the CCC Section 1629 which are, in order of priority:

descendants;

parents;

brothers and sisters of full blood;

brothers and sisters of half blood;

grandfathers and grandmothers;

uncles and aunts.

If he is her Husband (and no will) then 50% to him & rest to shared amongst some people (Aunts Uncles) he may have not even met...

Its important to have a Will even if you are married....there has been a number of threads on that issue

Surely that would only be if the HOUSE was in HER name? Can't he buy a house in his name before he gets married, on leased land?

I know the condo situation, but that's for full ownership, not leased land.

If a farang can't buy a house on leased land there is a lot of false advertising out there, especially on the islands, where villas are for sale on leased land.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Just now, superglue said:

I paid for the construction of the house - 375sqm.

We have no children.

She is an only child & is university educated.

My wife & her father drink very little.

You sir, have been blessed, I wish you the best of luck and a good life in your remaining days.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Surely that would only be if the HOUSE was in HER name? Can't he buy a house in his name before he gets married, on leased land?

Yes --that's why the advice was to take a 30 year lease (on everything)

& in case he does not want to live there--"with a subletting clause"

Siam Legal, who used to have a permanent thread here,,,have quite a good web site covering most of these things.... https://www.siam-legal.com/

15 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You sir, have been blessed, I wish you the best of luck and a good life in your remaining days.

Thank you. The age difference has been a bonus as has been my membership in AA.

I told my wife early on that love is spelt HARD WORK.

44 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Good advice, in most of Thailand you can buy an adequate house for about 2 million.  If you want to test the relationship, do what you say - garrantee the loan.  It goes south, she is stuck with the bill.

2mil jesus in issan i would expect a mansion for that

Is it in Her Area.?

If you do happen to part ways --at a latter date....would you want to live there?

As you can not have it in your name you should look for some protection, maybe consider a 30 lease with subletting clause. 
Also both make Wills... If anything should happen to the lady-then Thai laws deem that the property be divided amongst her family.

If a couple (Thai wife / foreign husband) has a biological child (son), does the Thai property go to the child upon death of parents?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If it is somewhere that another person will buy it, such as Bangkok, then buy in your own name or better, buy a condo in your name.

If up country then no-one else will want it and a Thai won't give you much for it so treat it as a walk away purchase and so forth. Best advice is for her to buy on mortgage that you help to pay and if it all goes south then you just walk away.

As another noted, it might not be her who goes bad but rather one of her family. A woman who lies to cover the theft of a relative is just as guilty and needs to be thrown off a bridge herself.

You might find a few who have serious faults only in a few areas but finding one who will back you against one of their family when the family is out to rob you will shorten that list to near zero. When push comes to shove, most will screw you over for a tin of beans, even though they know it will ruin and probably end the lifelong gravy train you provide. They are that stupid, trust me.

In other word you are saying that you are buying house for her as you will never own it or get a penny out of it. You will never be able to sell it even if you have right to half of it. You would not dare to live dare if she doesn't want you any more. Now decide yourself.

2 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

In other word you are saying that you are buying house for her as you will never own it or get a penny out of it. You will never be able to sell it even if you have right to half of it. You would not dare to live dare if she doesn't want you any more. Now decide yourself.

Many of us did and have lived happily ever after taking the gamble...:smile:

Let her buy it in her name with a bank loan in her name.

Then you can make the monthly payments.

If the bank won't trust her with it's money, then you shouldn't trust her with your money either.

I give my wife what I can afford to lose ..... that was 10% of the house price and the monthly repayments.

I'm not wealthy enough to gamble an(other) entire house on a woman, but I can gamble 10% no problem.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Just now, transam said:

Many of us did and have lived happily ever after taking the gamble...:smile:

I am very happy that you are one of lucky one. Do you have any statistic for how many are like you and otherwise? I really like to know as I keep on reading the sad stories all the time

Just now, mrfaroukh said:

I am very happy that you are one of lucky one. Do you have any statistic for how many are like you and otherwise? I really like to know as I keep on reading the sad stories all the time

Many tits up stories....Life is a gamble at times, you either have to have the balls to go for it or not..

I can tell you that I lost everything l worked for in the UK via illness and my ex wife..Didn't stop me having a go in LOS for something different...Sure it could go pear shaped but l personally don't give a shit, l will deal with the next chapter if l have too...:stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

Many tits up stories....Life is a gamble at times, you either have to have the balls to go for it or not..

I can tell you that I lost everything l worked for in the UK via illness and my ex wife..Didn't stop me having a go in LOS for something different...Sure it could go pear shaped but l personally don't give a shit, l will deal with the next chapter if l have too...:stoner:

Well life is life. You had unfortunate problem with health and your wife. I hope you can stand on your feet if this goes wrong too. I do take risks but I also look at the worse part.

17 hours ago, chopper23 said:

...I trust a woman to a point, what to look for about thai law some of you guys have plenty of experience just want some advise.

This site, "Samui for sale", will give you an excellent overview of legal aspects.

But "buying a house with girlfriend" is not much information for detailed advises.

In general, you shall be aware of, that a foreigner is limited in what he can own of property in Thailand, i.e. a condominium where the total foreign ownership don't exceed 49%; or a house, but not the land under the house.

In general the saying is, don't "invest" more in a home in Thailand, that you can afford to loose – often the foreigner in practice buys a home for the partner – most of the "horror-stories" are unfortunately true...:whistling:

If you are the one paying, the legal ways to protect yourself can be a lease agreement for 30-years (maximum period), eventually combined with a "superficies" agreement if you're building a new house (or just a superficies agreement without lease contract); or a "usufruct" agreement, giving right to use a land (and the house on the land); and a loan agreement of the amount "invested" declared at the Land Office as mortgage servitude, so the land (under the house) cannot be sold or transferred without the loan being paid in full. An alternative is to use a Thai Company Limited-method, but that is both fairly complicated and costly. You shall contact a lawyer for detailed up-to-date advises.

Make and sign any agreements about land and house, before eventually marriage.

Wish you good luck...:smile:

4 minutes ago, mrfaroukh said:

Well life is life. You had unfortunate problem with health and your wife. I hope you can stand on your feet if this goes wrong too. I do take risks but I also look at the worse part.

As I said, I will deal with anything that may happen, l never hold back worrying about the if....I will just move on and see what happens....Perhaps an adventurous attitude, don't know, l just get on with it..

I never care about folk liking my.....classic-guitar-smiley-emoticon.gif.b6f7368bf7655e6c0b06a3da17f8677f.gif.......As long as I am happy that is cool....Haven't been shot yet singing "My Way"....sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.2dc83406f146868ab9e4910cbb8a9c31.gif