Fresh markets sell poisoned food

leonidpattayski

I noticed food from fresh markets is poisoned. Every time i tried to buy fruits and vegetables from markets like ratanakorn, wanasin  or any local fresh markets and eat it i feet really bad. It could be anything from strong headache, liver pain or hearth. If I buy same fruits from BIGC or Makro i have no issues. I suspect some market sellers threat fruits and veggies with formalin or formaldehide, cause they have no fridge like big supermarkets. I tried to investigate this problem and saw they spray sometimes fruits or put some liquid on them and it does not look like water cause have color. I also saw how they threat market in nong prue near railroad with pesticides. They use few cars with tanks and pour gray gaz on market, it smelled very strong, no one was allowed to go to market closer than 100 meters. Gaz cloud in diameter around 200 meters covered the whole market. It reminded me chemical weapon use in World War 1.

Conclusion - never ever buy any food from markets. 

Edited by leonidpattayski

Conclusion - this post is a good example of how to leave yourself wide open for a criminal defamation charge, accompanied with a side order of computer crime act charges.

Who needs to sell food in a market? It's easier to sue people.
No one has been defamed because no one has been named. That's the law.

2 minutes ago, trd said:
10 minutes ago, blackcab said:
Conclusion - this post is a good example of how to leave yourself wide open for a criminal defamation charge, accompanied with a side order of computer crime act charges.

Who needs to sell food in a market? It's easier to sue people.

No one has been defamed because no one has been named. That's the law.

The OP did say every time and also mention two markets by name. For the opportunistic market seller at one of those markets, I think that might be enough. After all, it costs nothing to complaint to the police.

22 minutes ago, leonidpattayski said:

Every time i tried to buy fruits and vegetables from markets like ratanakorn, wanasin  or any local fresh markets and eat it i feet really bad.

Sorry that you either have had bad luck or a very weak disposition or both.

I think if the issue was as widespread and bad as you said it may have gained somewhat wider prominence. Not saying there is no issue but,,,,,,,,,

And yes I buy fruit regularly and used to get vegetables from markets.

The OP did say every time and also mention two markets by name. For the opportunistic market seller at one of those markets, I think that might be enough. After all, it costs nothing to complaint to the police.
It's not specific enough. If I claim there are some bad people in a particular area of Bangkok then I cannot be sued by some people in that area who claim to be good and are wrongly being accused of being bad because they come from that area. In the case of the market he would have to refer to specific identifiable vendor/vendors.

52 minutes ago, leonidpattayski said:

I suspect some market sellers threat fruits and veggies with formalin or formaldehide, cause they have no fridge like big supermarkets.

Have you actually bought fruit etc and had it tested for the chemicals you "suspect" have been used?

Please be very, very careful what you post, anything that could identify a specific seller could (probably won't) land you in a world of hurt.

There are  special  fruit and vegetable  washing products on the market if in doubt  use them to wash any suspected tainted products.

We always or rather our cook always soaks vegetables in salty water and all fruit is washed in water no  detergents added either.

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Have you actually bought fruit etc and had it tested for the chemicals you "suspect" have been used?

Please be very, very careful what you post, anything that could identify a specific seller could (probably won't) land you in a world of hurt.

I am thinking to buy some device to test chemicals in fruits and vegs especially pesticides and formaldehyde. If i will find some dangerous chemicals above permitted level where i can complain?

Edited by leonidpattayski

6 minutes ago, leonidpattayski said:

I am thinking to buy some device to test chemicals in fruits and vegs especially pesticides and formaldehyde. If i will find some where i can complain?

That would be "no" then.

Please note, I'm not saying you're wrong. But it's very, let's say "unwise", to go throwing accusations around willy nilly, particularly in a country where libel / defamation is a criminal (yes you can go to jail) offence. Also note, that in Thai law, a statement does not have to be untrue to be considered libelous.

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That would be "no" then.

Please note, I'm not saying you're wrong. But it's very, let's say "unwise", to go throwing accusations around willy nilly, particularly in a country where libel / defamation is a criminal (yes you can go to jail) offence. Also note, that in Thai law, a statement does not have to be untrue to be considered libelous.

If you think  my topic violate thai law you can delete it.

Some of the fresh markets in Chiang Mai are quite good.  My favorite is Tanin Market, near Rajaphat University.  We used to live close to that market and I'd shop there at least twice a week.  The vendors got to know me and often would reach beneath their counter and pull out stock that was fresher than what was on display to sell to me.

Once I asked Hubby to come with me to help carry the bags.  At the time, one of his favorite meals was a tomato-okra fish stew I made weekly using talapia from the market.  He saw the meat section of the market and blanched, saying "I hope you don't buy meat or fish here".  It was the only part of the market that gave you pause.  I told him just wait.  I did all the shopping and said the talapia was the last item I bought.  I went to the fish vendor and selected the talapia from a tank, watching while the vendor whacked it on the head and filleted it for me.  Hubby turned quite pale and said "I didn't think you met the fish before you bought it."  He didn't want to eat my delicious fish stew after that.

Some people just can't deal with the "local color" of a Thai fresh market and prefer to see everything packaged in plastic and under bright lights.  

5 minutes ago, leonidpattayski said:

If you think  my topic violate thai law you can delete it.

Trust me, if I thought it violated the law as-is it would have gone by now. Did you actually read my posts?

Don't know about the defamation aspect of things, however a survey done a couple of years ago (by a Thai Ministry of one thing or another) and mentioned on TV, showed that despite vegetables being sold in the likes of "farmers markets" and so on, they were more severely tainted with pesticides and herbicides then any that were tested in stores!

I'm sure that someone can find the thread and it was quite an eye-opener, and I believe some were labelled as dangerous to human health.

Edited by xylophone

17 minutes ago, NancyL said:

I went to the fish vendor and selected the talapia from a tank, watching while the vendor whacked it on the head and filleted it for me. 

You are such a cruel person :-)

17 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Some people just can't deal with the "local color" of a Thai fresh market and prefer to see everything packaged in plastic and under bright lights

Others can't deal with the smell of a Thai "fresh" market.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Also note, that in Thai law, a statement does not have to be untrue to be considered libelous.

Interesting. Everywhere else - of course - veritas is a perfect defense. You can't claim to be defamed by having it broadcast that you are a puppy puncher if, in fact, you are a puppy puncher, and don't deserve your reputation for not whacking them. 

In Scotland a sheriff tried to invent "convicium" - saying something true which nevertheless brought the person into ridicule or contempt - but most authorities say pants to that. Maybe the good sheriff had enjoyed a holiday in SE Asia. 

I buy all my food from the market or a food stall. Never had any problems. I'm working on a vegetable  farm in australia and it's been quite an eye opener finding out about all the chemicals they use growing food. Most of it is " fairly safe "  there's fungicides pesticides and herbicides in all the food we eat unless you buy organic food. I'm reluctant to eat any fish other than what comes from australia or new zealand you want to be aware of how clean the water is where they grow farmed fish.

Probably most of the food and drinks we buy at markets and stores are loaded with all kinds of chemicals and preservatives.

What about the milk and bread that have long sell by dates as an example. Back in my day when milkmen delivered our milk in glass bottles to our doorsteps it was only good for one day and it was the same with bread, cakes and pastries. Fresh fruit and vegetables have a very short shelve life, after only a couple of days they begin to deteriorate, so my guess is these must be chemically treated at markets and stores otherwise the green groceries would go out of business.

There is nothing we can do about it, over the years we are all being slowly poisoned. The only way to avoid is to either produce our own home grown food or give up eating and drinking.

From a news article report last year...(which was posted on ThaiVisa, as have dozens of similar articles over the years here)

57% of Q mark rated fruits, vegetables fail toxic chemical residue tests after samples sent to UK for testing. Expensive retailers do little better than wet markets.

The results were announced by the Thai- Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), which tested 138 samples of popular fruits and vegetables in Greater Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani during March 16-18.

http://www.thaipan.org/

Edited by mtls2005

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

From a news article report last year...(which was posted on ThaiVisa, as have dozens of similar articles over the years here)

57% of Q mark rated fruits, vegetables fail toxic chemical residue tests after samples sent to UK for testing. Expensive retailers do little better than wet markets.  The results were announced by the Thai- Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN), which tested 138 samples of popular fruits and vegetables in Greater Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ubon Ratchathani during March 16-18.

Something like this needs to be validated by regulatory agencies.  The Pesticide Action Network is an anti-chemical and anti-biotech group that looks for the slightest traces of just about any scary-sounding chemical (whether it's truly dangerous or not doesn't matter, as long as it sounds like it is) and then trumpets the results all over social media.

And while I'm not saying that all of their claims are without merit (even a blind squirrel finds a few nuts once in a while), their tactics are sometimes underhanded and needlessly alarmist.  Just wash your produce when you get home, okay?

9 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Something like this needs to be validated by regulatory agencies. 

The DoA, Industry Ministry, the Public Health Ministry have all dodged responsibility for banning chemicals like Paraquat (banned in most countries, but not here).

Studies at Chulabhorn Research Institute, and the WHO, have demonstrated serious health issues with a lot of these chemicals.

There have been dozens of articles posted here on ThaiVisa on this subject.

I'm sure washing items helps to reduce the impacts of surface contaminants.

I'm not so concerned with my own health, but would be concerned about both younger and older people who might be negatively impacted.

OP, just as a matter of interest, where do you think the supermarkets get their fresh fruit and veg? The same question also goes for the hotels & restaurants.

It is one of the things that is noticeable over the last few decades here, the fresh markets are left with the worst of the crops because of the pecking order of those that offer the best prices to the growers.

If you intend eating your fruit, make sure it is properly washed and if boiling is an option for your veg, use it. Same applies for your supermarket food and trust in your hotels and restaurants.

17 hours ago, leonidpattayski said:

I noticed food from fresh markets is poisoned. Every time i tried to buy fruits and vegetables from markets like ratanakorn, wanasin  or any local fresh markets and eat it i feet really bad.

Since these are personal experiences and perceptions you're reporting, they can't really be refuted or discounted.  I'm sure you believe what you say.  However, have you wondered why - if these markets really do sell "poisoned" food - you seem to be the only one complaining?  

I notice the markets you mention are in Pattaya.  Maybe you should start a discussion in that forum looking for shared experiences.  If dozens of posters chime in reporting similar reactions, then maybe you're on to something and some regulatory agency should be called in to do an inspection.

Also, produce goes through processing and packing before it goes to markets and retail outlets.  Most get bathed or rinsed in chlorinated water and some fruits get sprayed with a thin payer of food-grade wax for protection and presentation.

It reminded me chemical weapon use in World War 1.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

16 hours ago, delphioracle said:

There are  special  fruit and vegetable  washing products on the market if in doubt  use them to wash any suspected tainted products.

We always or rather our cook always soaks vegetables in salty water and all fruit is washed in water no  detergents added either.

If you look around and check the boxed that the vegetables are packed in, you will soon see that all carrots, apples and broccoli are from China and I have no faith in how they treat my food.  I once boiled some carrots from a market and the water turned orange. I am sure the Chinese add dye to the water when they grow the carrots.:post-4641-1156693976:

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The DoA, Industry Ministry, the Public Health Ministry have all dodged responsibility for banning chemicals like Paraquat (banned in most countries, but not here).

Your implied argument is "what do those other countries (mainly the EU) know that Thailand doesn't?".  I notice that it's still used in the US and is widely popular all over the world.  Therefore, a fair response is "what do the US and some 160+ other countries (where it's not banned) know that the EU doesn't?".

Let's not go down the rabbit hole of chemiphobia today.

Studies at Chulabhorn Research Institute, and the WHO, have demonstrated serious health issues with a lot of these chemicals.

I've no doubt that all pesticides have acute toxicity profiles.  They wouldn't have that suffix -cide if they weren't deadly to something.  It's possible some countries (China) have banned paraquat because they simply don't trust their farmers to apply it properly.  In the US, farmers need pesticide licenses to be able to use certain kinds of chemicals.

There have been dozens of articles posted here on ThaiVisa on this subject.

"It must be true because I saw it on the Internet!"

I'm not so concerned with my own health, but would be concerned about both younger and older people who might be negatively impacted.

Likewise I am not giving Thailand a clean bill of health with respect to its agriculture industry.  If growers and wholesalers can't be trusted to use pesticides and other chemicals safely, then banning them might be the only option that remains.  Note, however, that the pesticide is not always the problem.  Quite often, it's the misuse of it.

36 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I once boiled some carrots from a market and the water turned orange. I am sure the Chinese add dye to the water when they grow the carrots.

Carrots contain beta-carotene, which is an orange pigment.  I bet you can't guess what happens to the water when you boil broccoli or spinach.  

Many natural compounds are chemical indicators, which means they change colors when exposed to acid or alkaline environments.  If your tap water is particularly alkaline, that orange water might turn slightly blue-green after a while.  Red cabbage turns water bluish-purple when boiled, but later tints the water green if it's alkaline or red if its acidic.

Edited by attrayant
added more scary science

40 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Carrots contain beta-carotene, which is an orange pigment.  I bet you can't guess what happens to the water when you boil broccoli or spinach.  

Many natural compounds are chemical indicators, which means they change colors when exposed to acid or alkaline environments.  If your tap water is particularly alkaline, that orange water might turn slightly blue-green after a while.  Red cabbage turns water bluish-purple when boiled, but later tints the water green if it's alkaline or red if its acidic.

Very true, however it wouldn't stop the Chinese adding just about anything to their food to be able to sell it – – melamine in milk, chicken with formaldehyde and garlic doused with so much herbicide/pesticide that even Thai authorities rejected it. 

And I'm sure there's much, much more that we don't know about, so from my perspective, I won't knowingly eat anything from China.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Very true, however it wouldn't stop the Chinese adding just about anything to their food to be able to sell it – – melamine in milk, chicken with formaldehyde and garlic doused with so much herbicide/pesticide that even Thai authorities rejected it. 

And I'm sure there's much, much more that we don't know about, so from my perspective, I won't knowingly eat anything from China.

The sad part is, that every time you eat at a restaurant you probably do eat something from China. It is a competitive business and a sure way for restaurant owners to boost profits is to buy cheap products.

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't really think it's fair to condemn an entire country based on a scandal perpetrated by a few of its residents.  Several of the responsible people were executed and the country's dairy export market took a huge financial hit.  Show me a repeating pattern of such incidents and a government that takes no corrective measures, then I'll be concerned.

I think the Reagan Maxim of 'Trust but Verify' applies here.