Phuket land owners' refusal to sell stalls U-Turn flyover projects

webfact

Phuket land owners' refusal to sell stalls U-Turn flyover projects

Phuket News

1508392264_1.jpg

A computer generated image of one of the proposed u-turn flyovers. Photo: File

PHUKET: The construction of two U-turn flyovers on Highway 402 (Thepkrasattri Rd) have halted due to the refusal of land owners to sell 10 meters of land on either side of the road required for the projects.

Head of the project Mr Somkiet Srikonkaew of the Phuket Highways Department confirmed to The Phuket News today (Oct 18) that, “both land owners, at both of the locations do not want the construction of the U-turns.

“Right now, I cannot say whether construction will continue or not. But we have filed a legal appeal to Bangkok,” he added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-land-owners-refusal-to-sell-stalls-u-turn-flyover-projects-64365.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-19

8 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Let the Government issue a compulsory acquisition order for the land they need to build this....as long as the owner is compensated accordingly.

Or does it belong to someone who is well connected?

Just plain greed- they have them over a barrel. We've seen plenty of instances like this over the years in Phuket.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Let the Government issue a compulsory acquisition order for the land they need to build this....as long as the owner is compensated accordingly.

As far as I know the government has no legal power to make a compulsory purchase. Been plenty of articles about land owners refusing to sell, Seems that there must be a royal order to take the land. 

28 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The article says that the landowners don't want the U-turns which is why they refuse to sell. It does not imply they are holding out for more money. 

I doubt they have any moral objections against it as they probably have little morals.

Its always about money...

Landowners should have some rights.   Maybe balanced by the public good.   But how do you compensate someone for this land that maybe able to generate income for thousands of years.   It may have been in the family for generations. 

Just think of the noise, dust, ugliness, and dangers of having a u turn near Your property?  If they want to buy just 10 m I would say no!    I would insist they buy me a total Rai replacement, similar sized, location property.    

12 hours ago, xylophone said:

Aye, there's the rub. "Chao Phuket" are tough people, not to be trifled with. The land can of course be expropriated with compensation but unless the price is agreeable, construction will be delayed by "incidents". 

I once covered construction of a plant to process tantalum (by-product on tin mining). Locals weren't happy about compensation. Day before grand opening, the plant mysteriously burned to the ground. Never re-opened. 

Now you know why Thais are so polite. Because when they are not ...

BTW "Chao Samui" are worse.

12 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

As far as I know the government has no legal power to make a compulsory purchase. Been plenty of articles about land owners refusing to sell, Seems that there must be a royal order to take the land. 

Land can be legally expropriated. Requires an inquiry, assessment and judgement. Can take ages, depending the influence of the land owner. Phuket is notorious for land "problems" as are most islands, ie limited space.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

Landowners should have some rights.   Maybe balanced by the public good.   But how do you compensate someone for this land that maybe able to generate income for thousands of years.   It may have been in the family for generations. 

Just think of the noise, dust, ugliness, and dangers of having a u turn near Your property?  If they want to buy just 10 m I would say no!    I would insist they buy me a total Rai replacement, similar sized, location property.    

The land in question is sections of rubber plantation along the road but thanks for the insight from far away.

On 19/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, LivinginKata said:

I believe that the power to compulsory resume for Public works needs to be made law and a specific process of valuation. 

Unfortunately if that power existed it would probably be abused.