What Kind Of Total Bs Is This...?!

fanciman

Can you believe this?

I went to one place that sold it new; shocked at the price i visited the stalls neighbours, who priced about the same.

I went back to the original shop, and he said sorry, we don't have any...! (He had had no customers since i walked up to him and he got it out to show me.)

<deleted>?

Did you transmit your shock? Did you try to bargain? If anything but a smile the merchant will likely turn you away with 'you had your chance - you blew it' as customer satisfaction is not very high on the list of must do things. I am sure a Thai would have been given a second chance but even they are sometimes met with this attitude, which is probably why most Thai have no objection to Tesco and such.

I would have bought at the neighbors rather than returning.

Unfortunately the price is correct!

SD ram is basically not used anymore, so prices are skyhigh, especially for the bigger modules since in the heydays of SDram big memory sizes were not common at all!

Remeber win2000 running OK on 128MB and pretty darn fast on 256 :o

Check out this site for current memory prices of any kind (in Thai, but just scroll down the main page):

http://www.memorytoday.com/

SD-RAM hasn't been the current standard of RAM for at least a couple of years. Even the cheapest new desktops no longer use SD-RAM. It's only produced in small quantities as manufacturers concentrate on keeping up with the demand for the current standard, not something in computer terms long outdated.

Going by how much DDR2 has increased in price over the past six months then it's fair to say demand is still outpacing supply. It's been predicted that by the end of the year 2Gb will be standard for computers running Vista. I was going to get 1Gb for my new computer but after some research l decided on 2x1Gb Corsair Select PC5300 (l don't overclock) as l knew if l didn't get it now l would need it eventually. Cost was about 9000 baht. The price you were offered, if it was a well known brand, Corsair, Kingston etc. doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

One thing you will find when looking in any Thai computer mall for RAM is that it is rare to find large differences in price between shops. Most have their prices displayed and if you're like me you take a look around first to compare. If one shop has their price more than a few percent higher than the rest then they won't be getting many customers. For the RAM l got recently l found the difference between the cheapest and dearest price to be less than 150 baht and not negotiable.

As to why the shop no longer had SD-RAM when you returned, is it possible the seller has seen you asking for prices at other shops and when you returned (his price was best?) he decided his price must be too low and being his last stick could sell it for a higher price to a future customer? I find with a lot of the smaller shops if they don't have what you want they will get it from another shop while you wait because they get trade discount and for a quick phonecall might pick up 50 baht, worth their while. If he didn't, then maybe you upset him by complaining about the price too much.

I've got a stick of SDRAM that you can have. I don't know the capacity or if it works but you are welcome to it as I won't use it.

The trick in Singapore that I found over xmas was the vendor would offer a really good price (I was after a canon compact) and then say you need to buy lots of add ons like SD card, reader. These were very highly priced. When you say you don't want the accessories or extended warrenties they suddenly have no stock. One clown in China town after the speil said he only had a NTSC model and Thailand was PAL!! I said great, my TV is both (even though the camera is dual anyway) and I was delighted with the price, he then had trouble locating even the NTSC's. Watch this trick in Singapore, I had 6 or 7 different shops try it, most were in Chinatown.

Edited by Cromarty

Be careful with those "high megabytes" SD rams.

The compatibility issues are much worse than with DD ram.

If you have a chance to try and buy, that would be the way to go. Or bring your comp to the shop and test run before purchasing.

Edited by dobbelinas

In Singapore, Sim Lim Square or Funan Plaza seem to me to be the best place for IT and cameras. Sim Lim is a bit like Panthip or Fortune and Funan more like IT Plaza, newer and cleaner. Cheapest place in Singapore, if they have what you want will nearly always be Mustafa Centre in Little India.

I gave up buying cameras in Singapore and Hong Kong a long time ago due to the sales tactics of the shops there, Thailand isn't as bad even if it might be a little more expensive and the latest models slower to come to market.

In Singapore, Sim Lim Square or Funan Plaza seem to me to be the best place for IT and cameras. Sim Lim is a bit like Panthip or Fortune and Funan more like IT Plaza, newer and cleaner. Cheapest place in Singapore, if they have what you want will nearly always be Mustafa Centre in Little India.

I gave up buying cameras in Singapore and Hong Kong a long time ago due to the sales tactics of the shops there, Thailand isn't as bad even if it might be a little more expensive and the latest models slower to come to market.

I think the plaza I ended up buying from was Funan. Is it the one opposite the firestation? Felt a bit like Laksi Plaza (IT Square). No hassle, really honest and agreed that the Chinatown tatics were causing problems with reputations of Singapore. I saw Sim Lim but didn't go in, we did go to Mustafa, how I wish we had the choice of food they had there on the top floor!! Nearly bought some walkie talkies but didn't and forgot to go back! Cameras were actually cheaper in Funan Plaza.

Not really ther shopping mecca I was hoping for, came away very disappointed. Although I did buy some Crunchies! (chocolates)

When buying electronics, try to avoid the more "touristy" places, like Tsim Tsa Tsui (HK), and go to the places the locals go. This is true the world around. The touristy places are frequented by tourists, and tourists come and go, and so are less likely to complain effectively. Scams and ripoffs will be rampant in these areas, and HK is probaby the worst. For HK, go to Mongkok, and avoid Tsim Tsa Tsui like the plague, even though tours will take usually take you there. Do your research.

For a good "median" price available in pretty much every IT place, check out Hardware House's price lists (they are the most comprehensive, since they sell everything) at www.hwhinter.com. The prices are typical of Pantip-isque stores, and many times will be cheaper.

Edited by Firefoxx