Public urged to not drink during Royal Cremation period

rooster59

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If a drinker, don't wait. Get in now before it's all been bought in case they won't allow the shops to restock.

I've got a case of single malt whiskey ready for any toasting. Brought it back from Laos last week.

No-one - Thai or farang - will change their drinking routine up here. 

Edited by owl sees all
added more content

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Mansinthe said:

Well the King died. Its a big deal for a big part of Asia. So his funeral very special event. A huge part of the population has never experienced something like that before.

And its not like tourists just found about that event yesterday. Show some respect for 5 days. I don't get why people have to be drunk everyday during holidays..  

Therefore I urge you strongly to stay sober for a few days in reverence to the late King. 

So having a drink or two is "disrespectful"?

I'm perfectly capable of going for five days, or longer, without a drink but I don't agree with others telling me when I can/can't; should/shouldn't drink. I'm 45 and know this already. 

Showing ones respect can be done in many different ways. 

Just to be on the safe side though, I'll pop out and buy a bottle or two tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

Well the King died. Its a big deal for a big part of Asia. So his funeral very special event. A huge part of the population has never experienced something like that before.

And its not like tourists just found about that event yesterday. Show some respect for 5 days. I don't get why people have to be drunk everyday during holidays..  

With great reverence to the esteemed poster above

i dont drink a lot, maybe a beer at home in the evening with the MRS, and i am not a tourist  but i do take offence to being told what to do and when.

Respect.... well i am sure Thais indeed feel great sorry ...........and its BIG deal for them!! 

As for me enough of that..... time to watch the Wolves!

I have stocked up on booze anyway for this week and nothing is going to change my habits or plans

17 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

I think you and others may be misjudging the depth of feeling based on what I see in my neighborhood. I can make no further comment on the matter.

This is a Thai event of very little international importance. It's the Thai public who are being urged to show restraint and abstain from alcohol. Tourists and other foreigners will find entertainment options limited but I actually doubt a full alcohol ban, such as in hotels and restaurants, will be in place. Malls like Emporium and Centralworld are staying open and I would think many other tourist focused places will too. It will be quiet and subdued while the vast majority of Thais mourn - and the rest of us wait patiently for it to be over.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It will be quiet and subdued while the vast majority of Thais mourn - and the rest of us wait patiently for it to be over.

Some Thais, especially government employees, MUST be seen to mourn. Eyes and ears are everywhere in Thailand; reporting back. The people in the villages in Isaan (a lot of people) are more concerned with their rice harvest,

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

This is a Thai event of very little international importance. It's the Thai public who are being urged to show restraint and abstain from alcohol. Tourists and other foreigners will find entertainment options limited but I actually doubt a full alcohol ban, such as in hotels and restaurants, will be in place. Malls like Emporium and Centralworld are staying open and I would think many other tourist focused places will too. It will be quiet and subdued while the vast majority of Thais mourn - and the rest of us wait patiently for it to be over.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Great post. The problem is Thai people react in the same way as any person who drinks. Therefore their reaction is to buy in bulk. It is true that 7/11s are getting depleted at the moment. Not foreigners, but Thai people are buying as there is no tomorrow. I've driven today from half past six in Pathum Thani for 10 km and I swear I noticed more than 5 drivers being under influence this early. What I want to say is that people must be educated in the first place, and by telling people that they do not respect Royalty by having a drink is wrong in my opinion!

Edited by Thunder26

45 minutes ago, barrywhite said:

No it  won't, probably wont even get mentioned in  most countries.

I take it you do not read to much foreign press Barry..... Yes its big overseas, someone from all royal families around the world will attend.

Those government's who's subjects are lucky enough not to have to pay for royals families. Will send a high ranking member of state.

President Donald Trump will send a delegation to attend the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 26, the White House said on Saturday.

James Mattis 

1 hour ago, greeneking said:

I do think a story started 2 hours ago suggests a surprise decision when the event has been known about for a year.  Businesses do not operate on guesses, especially when there has been a lot of information suggesting it would be business as usual, but subdued and respectful behavior.

Are you suggesting tourists should have known this when TAT were saying something different? 

I'm suggesting that anyone who lives in Thailand should know about this. It is so obvious that it didn't even need to be stated, and it's amazing that anyone is surprised.

Whether tourists will know about this or not will depend on how well they keep themselves informed about the countries they visit. People who travel to get drunk in bars may not have a clue. People who travel to explore and learn about foreign cultures will know.

Edited by tropo

I take it you do not read to much foreign press Barry..... Yes its big overseas, someone from all royal families around the world will attend.
Those government's who's subjects are lucky enough not to have to pay for royals families. Will send a high ranking member of state.

President Donald Trump will send a delegation to attend the Royal Cremation Ceremony of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 26, the White House said on Saturday.

James Mattis 

You really think it will feature in a "big" way in the national press in Europe, the US and Australia/NZ any more than when any Head of State dies?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Many Thais buying large quantities of booze in Big C today. Remember, this is a country where the government would like to control how you think, and indeed much of the population is hopelessly brainwashed. Thankfully there are also many who will decide for themselves what constitutes right and proper behaviour, and know that having a drink in no way diminishes the respect they hold for the recently departed.

I dont think it will be the headline Brewster...but I do think front page ..yes.

Unless some other events crowd it down. He was the longest serving monarch in the world. Also Thailand is more prominent now, (if only for the wrong reasons) then it was years ago.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You really think it will feature in a "big" way in the national press in Europe, the US and Australia/NZ any more than when any Head of State dies?

Other countries don't spend $100 million on Royal cremations for their heads of state. The only parallel with this will be the QE11's funeral. Most educated people around the world will be very interested in seeing this, and especially the incredible craftsmanship of what they have built over the last year. Drawing a parallel with the death of a King that reigned for 70 years with an elected Australian/NZ politician that served for a few years is clearly absurd and extremely disrespectful.

Other countries don't spend $100 million on Royal cremations for their heads of state. The only parallel with this will be the QE11's funeral. Most educated people around the world will be very interested in seeing this, and especially the incredible craftsmanship of what they have built over the last year. Drawing a parallel with the death of a King that reigned for 70 years with an elected Australian/NZ politician that served for a few years is clearly absurd and extremely disrespectful.

No it isn't. The deaths of Heads of State have national importance but rarely international. I'm not saying there will no coverage, but I do think you are over-estimating its international importance. I don't expect the coverage will be anything like the coverage of Castro's funeral, for example.

The disease control department should take some of their own medicine, before making gestures on etiquette outside of their area of concern.

Would have thought disease control issues might be a little more focused on flooding and rampant unprotected sex.

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No it isn't. The deaths of Heads of State have national importance but rarely international. I'm not saying there will no coverage, but I do think you are over-estimating its international importance. I don't expect the coverage will be anything like the coverage of Castro's funeral, for example.

LOL> here we go again... Yes it is! It will be broadcast around the world, and in English too. If you are traveling to Thailand as a tourist, there's no excuse not to know about this. Anyone who is interested enough in Thailand to invest in a holiday there should know what's going on, especially an event of such major significance.

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I'm aware and to be honest I don't really worry to get a drink myself. It is just a craze movement that annoys me telling people what to do and what not to do, especially when there is no official ban on alcohol sales during this period. Anyway most chain supermarkets will be closed on that day, so this unnecessary talk really gets on my nerves I would recommend these people to shut up and focus on the cremation of His Late Majesty the King.

I would think a suggestion is well called for. You can do what you want, but be aware of the consequences. I recall a woman on the day after the Kings passing was wearing a bright blue dress while everyone else was in black. She was verbally abused by several people who were obviously very upset about what had happened. There were several instances like this. I personally wouldn't be making an open jovial scene getting boozed up in some bar during this period. It's just common sense. 

59 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

James Mattis 

the uk is sending 'airmiles andy' - so not that big

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

James Mattis 

Of course the royal families will attend (it's a very exclusive club) and most countries will send delegations because a head of state has died, but when Nelson Mandela died (and we don't have 112 in SA) the heads of state (not representatives)  of many countries, including the president of the USA, showed up in person...just saying :wink: 

Edited to add fact (My original post was based on a glance of the respective guest lists): 91 Heads of State or Leaders of Government attended Mandela's memorial service...18 will attend Rama IX's)

Edited by SABloke

19 minutes ago, SABloke said:

Of course the royal families will attend (it's a very exclusive club) and most countries will send delegations because a head of state has died, but when Nelson Mandela died (and we don't have 112 in SA) the heads of state (not representatives)  of many countries, including the president of the USA, showed up in person...just saying :wink: 

Your all Ganging up on me aren't  ya.........:omfg:

Yes SABloke I have to admit, Nelson Mandela was an inspiration to black people everywhere, after being released from prison he didn't re-offend once.

3 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Your all Ganging up on me aren't  ya.........:omfg:

Yes SABloke I have to admit, Nelson Mandela was an inspiration to black people everywhere, after being released from prison he didn't re-offend once.

"Your all" what is my 'all', I'm confused...I don't remember owning an 'all'. Anyway, Mandela inspired many people, regardless of skin tone. He wasn't perfect, but if you were a betting man you wouldn't bet against the reality of the "perceived" importance of this cremation on an international stage.