Public Discouraged From Drinking But Booze Won’t Be Banned

webfact

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

No alchohol ban? That's odd. I was in Makro this morning and they have a sign out saying no alchohol sales on the 26th. I can see confusion reigning here, as normal.

26th is the actual day of cremation... I guess they're showing respect!
no confusion if you apply common sense!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking is sinful for Buddhists.

big deal.... I can’t see them giving up all the other daily law breaking and sinful activities, so why worry about drinking (luckily stocking up is simple enough, although I’m sure my local bottle shop guy Is starting to thinking I’m turning thai)

luckily, laying delicate hands on my delicates isn’t sinful... or is it... damnit, a quandary.... but just in case, I’m all for sinning. ?

let The people of Thailand mourn the way they want, not dictated by a junta. If reading the words of the late King this would also be true. He was a role model in most ways. I surely worry about the future when I can see what I can see sitting outside Thailand and with access to all news

Edited by Next stop NK

7 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Went to visit the GF's family a week or two ago when the last dry day occurred, end of Buddhist Lent I think, 5th October rings a bell, so didn't travel on the Thursday 5th and made the trip on the 6th, got settled in to the place we were staying at and then decided to pop into 7/11 to get a couple of cans for later only to be told that no cannot sell, the day after ? 

Drove around the corner and found a Tesco Express, bought 4 small cans no problem, it seems that 7/11 have their own rules on this sort of thing. 

They have their own rules for sure, my local 7/11 stuck ฿10 price increase on all large beers last week. Everywhere else no increase at all (they did the same on cigs the week before and everywhere else was the same a usual).

7 hours ago, ronrat said:

For the last few days and in the next couple evry time I go to Tesco Lots etc I buy a couple of beers and put them in the fridge. I have enough contingency stock unless the girl friends family lob and drink me dry. I might secrete a few large Singha bottles with the bloke across the sub soi. I trust a german more to safeguard beer than a Thai brother in law.

Box is much cheaper???

10 hours ago, natway09 said:

Having just  read that alcohol sales not banned the Commissioner of Lumpini just said all bars to close 

25,26, 27 th. (except the ones that I allow to open ) for monetary reasons.

You are right, the left foot has no idea what the right foot is doing

He should remember his place, he's just a cop who enforces the law.

He shouldn't be making them up as he goes. What a <deleted> retarded <deleted> of a man.

12 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why let all the fuss work one up?.....plainly stock enough of your favorite booze, mixers and whatever, to last a few weeks and problem is solved !???

Exactly, I was going to post a similar comment, unless you want to drink at a bar buy in advance and drink at home,

It’s not rocket science !!!!

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Why let all the fuss work one up?.....plainly stock enough of your favorite booze, mixers and whatever, to last a few weeks and problem is solved !???

You booze is the least of our Problems Getting the water board to supply water to our village a lot harder some days 3 days with out water Said to wife next time they send a bill give it back to them for lack of service When you ring them they think its a big joke Will now install a tank Thanks water board 

Drinking at home alone is always an option, and never a good one. 

Some of us like to go out on occasion to a place with food, music, and people to have a few beers served to us by smiling pretties.  Some of us even make plans in advance, which is difficult to do when you don't know when bars will be open.

I know; supposedly the bars will only close, voluntarily, on Thursday.  However I'll bet bars in much of Thailand will be "encouraged" to close well before midnight on Wednesday and "discouraged" from opening on Friday.

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Some of us like to go out on occasion to a place with food, music, and people to have a few beers served to us by smiling pretties.  Some of us even make plans in advance, which is difficult to do when you don't know when bars will be open.

Well you will just have to go out and drool over pretties on another occasion then wont you,

As for making plans in advance, the 26th was announced quiet a while.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Most bars may be closed.  Just buy enough to at the supermarket to last a week and enjoy at home with friends.

simple ...

Or maybe use the time to reflect over those that are incarcerated without trial just for peacefully expressing their opinions.

41 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Drinking at home alone is always an option, and never a good one. 

I know; supposedly the bars will only close, voluntarily, on Thursday.  However I'll bet bars in much of Thailand will be "encouraged" to close well before midnight on Wednesday and "discouraged" from opening on Friday.

34 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Well you will just have to go out and drool over pretties on another occasion then wont you,

As for making plans in advance, the 26th was announced quiet a while.

Please reply to my entire quote, not just an out of context edit.

Also, please note that much of this topic has been about determining what "public discouraged from drinking" for five days will translate into in terms of real world closings.

In short, please stop trolling.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Please reply to my entire quote, not just an out of context edit.

Also, please note that much of this topic has been about determining what "public discouraged from drinking" for five days will translate into in terms of real world closings.

In short, please stop trolling.

It will translate to nothing.

Good idea on the trolling thing and i will add to that scaremongering............... you should refrain from both.

1 hour ago, Hupaponics said:

The key word is "hide" and "from family" ?

I have found what never to say to wife's brother. " Would you like a beer" ? Big mistake That is there go ahead for him to drink u dry and never return the favor . I think best way is say hello shake there hand and wish them a good day with out any beer being offered.

6 minutes ago, DM07 said:

My missus was at the Chiang Mai - night market on Sunday!

No alcohol sales AT ALL!

The shape of things to come...:coffee1:

Alcohol will never be banned in Thailand. Old saying " Never kill the goose that lays the golden egg" They have just raised the taxes on all alcohol worth 13  billion Baht to them a year. How else can they pay for the subs and tanks if they cut off sales? Unless Unless they do what they did in Holland  Make the Hookers pay tax on money they earn. Its a business right should pay tax. Just an idea