Prayut warns some areas must be sacrificed to floods

webfact

7 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Just for you, Robblok, FACTS are now highlighted in royal purple. Data relevant to ill-prepared reservoirs - depth and volume measurements and dates, for example - should be available from the Department for Prevention & Mitigation of Disasters, the crucial word, here of course, being 'should'. Did you really expect me to have those figures to hand? . . . there are limits to my resourcefulness, like anyone else's. If measurements were recorded, they've probably been flushed down the loo, by now . . . too incriminating! The boss's name escapes me, but it's included in the opening clip.

Seems to me they were already draining the water from the larger reservoirs (much to the dismay of those living close to them its been in the newspapers). So please show me more data because like this its not worth a thing. What large reservoir and what should have been done besides letting out water.

If you are talking about taking out sand to deepen them.. when was such a thing last done ?

You can type a lot but without anything to back it up it its meaningless. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

How could the authorities ever have thought "wow floods are coming we should do something to help the people".  Ridiculous thought.

By switching on their dormant brains, that's how . . . and switching off their FaceBook pages, perhaps . . . the entire country's at it!

It looks like it is a disaster but actually is a well implemented and successful  strategy.

Everything is  going as planned.

Plant roots must have access to water, but too much can lead to water-logging, lack of oxygen and disease. All plant roots need oxygen, and blocking the supply by flooding can effectively suffocate them.

Wet conditions combined with high temperatures  make conditions even more unfavorable: the effects of water-logging become more severe with hotter temperatures. A secondary consequence of water-logging is the onset of disease or insect attack.  Read more:

http://sesl.com.au/blog/how-much-water-is-too-much/

Diseased plants will not produce food.....

Food and water control, that's the plan,

The easiest an fastest way to control  the hungry and thirsty population.

This is so sad it sounds like a joke.

"Prayut said..................................unexpected heavy rain. “I would like to thank farmers in 12 water-retention fields in the Central Region for receiving floodwater,” he said."

Did they have  choice? :whistling:

Yet another "unexpected flood/heavy rain" that happens every year! And still no ideas how to mitigate the damage BEFORE it happens! :coffee1:

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

So please show me more data because like this its not worth a thing. What large reservoir

I'm sorry Robblok, but your data fetish is becoming a pain. Use Googlemap for the reservoir name(s) and Google those for information relating to recent flood-control - or data. There may a The Nation piece, too, that goes into some detail. That you appear to be uncomfortable with the fact that the draining operations at the dams was a classic case of too little, too late is of further intrigue . . . you don't live in the shadow of one of them, do you?

A friend who has a house next to the Chao Phraya River on Rama III Bangkok already posted yesterday, photos of the river overflowing its bank and flooding her guest house. Just as King Canute could not hold back the tides, article 44 cannot either, only carrying out the final phases of the King Rama IX flood prevention plans of 1986 and 2000 can solve the problem. The major works not carried out are: 1. complete the flood defence walls around Bangkok and raise them to the height originally recommended 2. The Yom River Dam 3. The Super Floodway to bypass excess water flows from the Chao Phraya at Chai Nat and Ayutthaya direct to the sea at Khlong Dan 4. The Chao Phraya estuary barrage (similar to River Thames barrage)

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

is this the flood that last week we were told would not happen ?

let the excess water out near where the Generals live  ,  then something will be done......55555

I can't imagine the people living on 5th Avenue, New York would be too impressed if the General's Luxury Penthouse was flooded

2 minutes ago, Estrada said:

A friend who has a house next to the Chao Phraya River on Rama III Bangkok already posted yesterday, photos of the river overflowing its bank and flooding her guest house. Just as King Canute could not hold back the tides, article 44 cannot either, only carrying out the final phases of the King Rama IX flood prevention plans of 1986 and 2000 can solve the problem. The major works not carried out are: 1. complete the flood defence walls around Bangkok and raise them to the height originally recommended 2. The Yom River Dam 3. The Super Floodway to bypass excess water flows from the Chao Phraya at Chai Nat and Ayutthaya direct to the sea at Khlong Dan 4. The Chao Phraya estuary barrage (similar to River Thames barrage)

And 5. Move Bangkok to a drier place and let the Choa Phraya carry on with what it was supposed to do . . . water the furkin' rice paddies. Jeeze . . . why is the obvious so often ignored?

8 minutes ago, Ossy said:

I'm sorry Robblok, but your data fetish is becoming a pain. Use Googlemap for the reservoir name(s) and Google those for information relating to recent flood-control - or data. There may a The Nation piece, too, that goes into some detail. That you appear to be uncomfortable with the fact that the draining operations at the dams was a classic case of too little, too late is of further intrigue . . . you don't live in the shadow of one of them, do you?

My data fetish is because everyone can sprout B.S. and only facts back them up. I am real interested because I have been flooded in 2011. Around this time I was already flooded because of dam mismanagement. It seems they are doing it a lot better than in 2011 as none of the trouble spots in our area have been hit so far.

Also there have been numerous reports of them letting water out of the dams BEFORE these floodings now in hindsight that might have been not enough. But you have to understand that letting too much water out will cause floodings.  (the draining was already in full swing last month)

Also if you compare this year with 2011... you will see that the distribution of water is totally different, a lot fell in the NE and there are no dams there and little drainage. So changing weather patters had something to do with it too.

Just now, Ossy said:

And 5. Move Bangkok to a drier place and let the Choa Phraya carry on with what it was supposed to do . . . water the furkin' rice paddies. Jeeze . . . why is the obvious so often ignored?

Because people like you have no idea of the cost of moving the capital. 

5 minutes ago, MorristheRunt said:

I can't imagine the people living on 5th Avenue, New York would be too impressed if the General's Luxury Penthouse was flooded

Sorry, you've lost me there . . . is it something my mrs will have read about on her FB? Don't you just hate it when a post goes right over your head - woooosh!?

"some areas of the country will have to be sacrificed "

But certainly NOT near 'His Home' Or homes of 'Hi-So' friends.............. 

Soooo SELFISH,................. but let's order a few more SUBMARINES.............. LOL...........

Remember the canal system that Bangkok used to have before they started filling in the canals!
That canal system had a purpose beyond boat traffic.  
My guess, given that Thais are not the best at forward planning, is that the original canal system was built around existing tributaries of the Chao Phraya. So runoff water that had carved a path of least resistance for centuries, when suddenly filled in to reclaim land for urban development, got nowhere to go other than the roads built over the filled in klongs. 
So instead of seeking a long term solution, they simply offer up 'sacrifices' of various neighborhoods.  And no doubt which neighborhoods get flooded.
Once the flood waters retreat, it's back to kicking the can down the road for another year.  

Edited by connda

All this 'flooding' is fake news as Praayut clearly stated earlier in the year that everything was under control.

Obviously we're all being conned by pictures from other countries, photoshop, etc and my friend hasn't been commuting by boat to her house in Phichit for the past 3 weeks.  :stoner:

It should not be the same areas flooded every year. Places like amper Sena flood every single year as the water is not allowed to flow down to Bangkok. They have flooding for weeks on end. Give them a break every other year and let Bangkok flood....then maybe the authorities will do something about water management. 

Now when the floods happened in 2011 it was Yingluck's fault according to many posters on TV, as if she had personally arranged the floods....that being so, why isn;t it Prayut's fault this time round?

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

It should not be the same areas flooded every year. Places like amper Sena flood every single year as the water is not allowed to flow down to Bangkok. They have flooding for weeks on end. Give them a break every other year and let Bangkok flood....then maybe the authorities will do something about water management. 

Now when the floods happened in 2011 it was Yingluck's fault according to many posters on TV, as if she had personally arranged the floods....that being so, why isn;t it Prayut's fault this time round?

The 2011 floods were not YL her fault.. it was her fault that they released the water from the dams much to late. Unlike now when they were already releasing water in august and september. You can't stop flooding, but you can make it less severe. 

Some area's just cant be protected, but I agree a lot more must be done.. don't buy subs but buy water management. Don't spend money on a rice program but spend it on water management. 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

How could the authorities ever have thought "wow floods are coming we should do something to help the people".  Ridiculous thought.

Which people? The smart farang who bought a house in the flooding area's of thailand? Why my wife has to pay tax to give them money for the damage ?? We also left the area when ours in BKK was flooded...

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

I'm sorry Robblok, but your data fetish is becoming a pain. Use Googlemap for the reservoir name(s) and Google those for information relating to recent flood-control - or data.

Point of order: It's the responsibility of the claimant to back up their claims.  That's just basic courtesy.  Presumably you just visited those cites to get the information you used in your post.  So, since you're already there, how much extra effort does it take to just drop a link into the post you're making?  This makes people responsible for fact checking, instead of just relying on "I remember way back when" or  "I seem to recall" data.

413614177.jpg

Edited by attrayant

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

That's what you get from a non elected government and there really no need for accountability to the people. Parliament will be rocked with oppositions demanding answers and action but not the NLA of appointees. And he got amnesty if anyone think of charging him. 

8 minutes ago, robblok said:
21 minutes ago, Ossy said:

My data fetish is because everyone can sprout B.S. and only facts back them up. I am real interested because I have been flooded in 2011. Around this time I was already flooded because of dam mismanagement. It seems they are doing it a lot better than in 2011 as none of the trouble spots in our area have been hit so far.

Also there have been numerous reports of them letting water out of the dams BEFORE these floodings now in hindsight that might have been not enough. But you have to understand that letting too much water out will cause floodings.  (the draining was already in full swing last month)

Also if you compare this year with 2011... you will see that the distribution of water is totally different, a lot fell in the NE and there are no dams there and little drainage (*). So changing weather patters had something to do with it too.

I was about to give up on you, Robblok, after your offensive opening line, but then you mellowed and actually corroborated my fact-based contention that too little was done too late . . . thank you for that. Your next sentence brought both a smile and a frown to my face; a smile, at 'letting too much water out will cause floodings' . . . yes, I think most of us get that, and the frown, at 'the draining was already in full swing last month'. That's where we could come to blows, since my Oct 14 Googlings made it unquestionably clear that there had been no proper control over reservoir water releases, making it impossible to prevent the imminent filling of the res's, thus exacerbating the flooding by Chao Phraya and its tributaries, downstream of them. Are we getting nearer to consensus, here?

As for you last paragraph, besides the FACT that there wasn't a vast amount of rain in the NE region, prior to the late July floods, there are reservoirs and dams. The severe flooding, there, was similarly put down to lax reservoir management at Nam Un dam and 'clogged drainage' between the Nong Han lake and the Mekong, resulting in their being able to contain the sudden heavy deluge. My village, between Udon T and Sakon Nakhon, experienced the worst floods in living memory, thanks to Nam Un waters, whilst Sak-Nak was hit from all directions and flooded, literally within minutes of the deluge of Thu eve, 27 July; again, floods the like of wh hadn't been seen before.

(*) Another smile, here, with the mighty Mekong running along the entire eastern edge of Isan. 'Little drainage', eh . . . please don't wave the 'sprouting BS' stick at me, Robblok. I'd have said 'spouting' myself, but each to his own.

3 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

a disastrous management team?

Not necessarily.  Look at what they've got to deal with:  a giant city sitting on a river delta flood plain.  My 2 cent's worth:   MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND !

Sure it's massively expensive and troublesome to move Thailand's biggest city to higher ground - but look at the alternative:  inevitable worsening floods in near future.  

I've suggested this a hundred times before, but here goes:  Establish satellite cities, each specializing in something major.  Here are some examples:

Port & Manufacturing

Royals and Sangha

Bureaucracy

Colleges/Universities

Why do they all need to be lumped together?  ......particularly in a muddy plain subject to imminent year 'round flooding.

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

That's what you get from a non elected government and there really no need for accountability to the people. Parliament will be rocked with oppositions demanding answers and action but not the NLA of appointees. And he got amnesty if anyone think of charging him. 

Why does the government have to be elected? This is thailand and elected governments lead to much unrest. riots and bombings, not to mention bribery of votes...

Were you also so smart to go living in a floodretention area??? 

10 minutes ago, Ossy said:

My village, between Udon T and Sakon Nakhon, experienced the worst floods in living memory, thanks to Nam Un waters

So your village is underwater now and that's the fault of the junta.....Was there no water falling from the sky??

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Not necessarily.  Look at what they've got to deal with:  a giant city sitting on a river delta flood plain.  My 2 cent's worth:   MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND !

Or just move to the 2nd floor (as they did in Venice) and backfill the roads with a mixture of gravel and 7-11 shopping bags.  If China can make actual new islands in the sea, then raising ground level in some key areas shouldn't be too hard.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Which part of the word "flood-retention area" these people and some TV-posters don't understand??

And why does the government has to pay for damage when a flood-retention area gets flooded???

I mean......<deleted>??

When people were allowed to build in said "retention" areas, were they informed of that?

If not, then the government must compensate, and should rebuild those communities in non retention areas. I'm not holding my breath on that, though.

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I've suggested this a hundred times before, but here goes:  Establish satellite cities, each specializing in something major. 

4 satellite cities were in the master plan back in 2003. Nakon Nayok was designated as 1 and modeled on a Japanese Tanea district. Then the disastrous coup and we never heard of it again. Military can't plan and have very little vision except to enrich themselves at the people's expense.