English language live stream of the Royal Cremation of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Serious question - I do not mean any disrespect to anyone - Why are people upset not to see the cremation itself? Were they hoping to see the body placed into the oven, the fire itself, or the smoke from the chimney?

I don't get it.

A fair point - accusations of being a ghoul are understandable. However I would agree with LannaGuy that it should have been televised, as a matter of national posterity if nothing else.

Thanks to the moderators by the way, for doing their best to facilitate this discussion. It must be no easy task given the conditions they are working under.

4 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Then you need to put your 'thinking cap' on.  It's been on for 10 hours why stop it at the final part?  that's like seeing a F1 race for 3 hours then blocking the final lap. If we can't see it, fair enough, block it all.

The decision to hold the cremation in private appears to have been made very last minute. Shortly before 10pm all press present were asked to leave. 

1 minute ago, Gulfsailor said:

The decision to hold the cremation in private appears to have been made very last minute. Shortly before 10pm all press present were asked to leave. 

Oh really?  forward planning then. It is going down VERY badly over social media and will, undoubtedly, come across as elitist and denying ordinary Thais their chance to say farewell at the point of lighting the fire. But they don't are about that IKR.

It is disrespectful to the Thai people and to HM.

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Serious question - I do not mean any disrespect to anyone - Why are people upset not to see the cremation itself? Were they hoping to see the body placed into the oven, the fire itself, or the smoke from the chimney?

I don't get it.

I find it it hard to believe that you have asked that question.

Nothing ghoulish at all but the whole funereal process is geared to the actual cremation. Something that a fantastic funeral pyre, shown all around the globe, would have provided a fitting send off for probably the most revered monarch in history......... you really think that we should not have expected to see the final chapter of the process....seriously?

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its a cremation , the purpose of a funeral isnt to entertain people

You clearly have no idea of the programme that has been set out.

Clearly, you have never been to a Thai funeral.

Educate yourself and Google it.

Edited by Jip99

20 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I find it it hard to believe that you have asked that question.

Nothing ghoulish at all but the whole funereal process is geared to the actual cremation. Something that a fantastic funeral pyre, shown all around the globe, would have provided a fitting send off for probably the most revered monarch in history......... you really think that we should not have expected to see the final chapter of the process....seriously?

Please read my post again.

I did not say (or even suggest) that people "should not expect to see the final chapter of the process". I just asked a genuine question, and it was carefully worded as I just wanted to understand what is the normal process.

I never suggested anything "ghoulish" - that was your word, not mine.

It seems, from other posts, that the Thai people expect to see the lighting of the fire - which they have not been allowed to do. So, my question has been answered.

Edited by chickenslegs

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You clearly have no idea of the programmer that has been set out.

Clearly, you have never been to a Thai funeral.

Educate yourself and Google it.

I have been to a cremation in thailand

Body straight on the pyre with no coffin

Watched the body burn

I didnt think that it would be appropriate to film it

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Please read my post again.

I did not say (or even suggest) that people "should not expect to see the final chapter of the process". I just asked a genuine question, and it was carefully worded as I just wanted to understand what is the normal process.

I never suggested anything "ghoulish" - that was your word, not mine.

It seems, from other posts, that the Thai people expect to see the lighting of the fire - which they have not been allowed to do. So, my question has been answered.

I agree, that was the whole point of it, the funeral process is exactly that.....a process - the rites etc, procession, cremation, entertainment to mark the end of the mourning period.

Also, with $90m spent on the event the funeral pyre was, rightly so, presented as one of the highlights.... surely the Thais at home, and at the many town and city venues, would have expected to see Rama X lighting the pyre.

Just now, sanemax said:

I have been to a cremation in thailand

Body straight on the pyre with no coffin

Watched the body burn

I didnt think that it would be appropriate to film it

Hardly a national occasion then.

Was there any entertainment ?

girlfriend is sick today, still spent five hours standing

in line to lay a flower.

exhausted but stayed up to see the cremation.

had been looking forward to it all week.

passed out on the sofa at 10:30, demanded i wake

her when the puppet show was over.....

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Oh really?  forward planning then. It is going down VERY badly over social media and will, undoubtedly, come across as elitist and denying ordinary Thais their chance to say farewell at the point of lighting the fire. But they don't are about that IKR.

It is disrespectful to the Thai people and to HM.

Saddened but not at all surprised some of the usual suspects online including Jonathan Head on twitter would stoop to play up such an angle to try to twist such a profoundly sombre event. Please stick to defending and spinning for the Shins you lot.

I could however clearly see the smoke from my vantage point. It was indeed so profoundly sad and sombre. No need to broadcast on live TV or sensationalise the actual burning, this is NOT entertainment.

And yes: LONG LIVE RAMA 9 

Edited by sujoop

3 minutes ago, sujoop said:

Saddened but not at all surprised some of the usual suspects online including Jonathan Head on twitter would stoop to play up such a vampirish angle trying to twist such a profoundly sombre event. Please stick to defending and spinning for the Shins you lot.

I could however clearly see the smoke from my vantage point. It was indeed so profoundly sad and sombre. No need to broadcast or sensationalise the actual burning, this is NOT entertainment. And yes: LONG LIVE RAMA 9 

Oh for Christ's sake. Nobody had even brought up that family until you did.

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It's not disrespectful. The purpose of the shows is to signal the end of the mourning period and it was always said they would be starting in the early evening, before the cremation itself .

It is disrespectful to all the people waiting for the cremation not to have made it clear from the beginning that it wouldn't be shown. 

Every internet site I looked at said the cremation would be broadcast at 10pm.

I've been watching a load of traditional dancing for hours and wondering why the cremation was so long delayed. Started watching well before 10pm, and now I'm joining those of you that are disappointed. It leaves me somewhat bewildered that the entire point of the whole ceremony wasn't broadcast. I didn't need to see a close up, but to see the smoke and wish him well on his "journey" was something I had been waiting to do, and now I feel quite sad. If it wasn't shown on any of the tv channels, and WETV was showing the same thing on all channels that I checked, I'd say a lot of people will be feeling the same.

40 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

surely the Thais at home, and at the many town and city venues, would have expected to see Rama X lighting the pyre.

I think you have just provided the most informative answer to my question. I was not aware that the funeral pyre would be lit by the new King.

Talking about heaven, I didn't think serious Buddhists believe in heaven and hell in the Christian sense.

So is this a new thing with Thais like the way they now celebrate valentines day and Christmas. Is it Buddhism evolving or just being said for effect ?

If there is a Buddhist heaven what is it like and who goes there and where exactly is it ?

Saddened but not at all surprised some of the usual suspects online including Jonathan Head on twitter would stoop to play up such an angle to try to twist such a profoundly sombre event. Please stick to defending and spinning for the Shins you lot.

I could however clearly see the smoke from my vantage point. It was indeed so profoundly sad and sombre. No need to broadcast on live TV or sensationalise the actual burning, this is NOT entertainment.

And yes: LONG LIVE RAMA 9 

There is also no need for you to bring politics into it. Shameful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app