Cosmic-ray imaging finds hidden structure in Egypt's Great Pyramid

webfact

Cosmic-ray imaging finds hidden structure in Egypt's Great Pyramid

By Will Dunham

tag_reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A group of camels and horses stand idle in front of the Great Pyramids awaiting tourists in Giza, Egypt on March 29, 2017. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists using an imaging method based on cosmic rays have detected a large and enigmatic internal structure in the last of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World still standing, the massive Great Pyramid of Giza on the outskirts of Cairo.

Researchers announced the discovery on Thursday but said they did not know the purpose, contents or precise dimensions of what they are calling a "void" or "cavity" inside the pyramid, built as a monumental tomb around 2560 BC.

To peer inside the pyramid, the scientists used an imaging technique called muon tomography that tracks particles that bombard Earth at close to the speed of light and penetrate deeply into solid objects.

They said the newly discovered internal structure was at least 100 feet (30 meters) long, and located above a hallway measuring about 155 feet long (47 meters) called the Grand Gallery, one of a series of passageways and chambers inside the immense pyramid. The researchers said it constitutes the first major inner structure found in the Great Pyramid since the 19th century.

"What we are sure about is that this big void is there, that it is impressive, that it was not expected by, as far as I know, any kind of theory," said Mehdi Tayoubi, president and co-founder of the HIP Institute in France, one of the leaders of the study published in the journal Nature.

"We open the question to Egyptologists and archaeologists: what could it be?" added Hany Helal of Cairo University.

The Great Pyramid, looming alongside other large pyramids, is a towering achievement, remarkable for its simple beauty and colossal grandeur. The emblem of one of the great civilizations of antiquity, it soars to a height of 479 feet (146 meters), the tallest structure built by humankind until the Eiffel Tower in Paris in 1889, and boasts a base measuring 754 feet (230 meters).

It was constructed during the reign of the Pharaoh Khufu, or Cheops.

The findings come from a project called Scan Pyramids that relies on non-invasive scanning methods to probe the internal structure of the pyramids of ancient Egypt's glorious Old Kingdom period and understand how they were built.

"We are not doing this mission in order to find hidden cavities," Helal said.

Muon particles originate from interactions between cosmic rays from space and atoms of Earth's upper atmosphere. The particles can penetrate hundreds of yards (meters) into stone before being absorbed.

Placing detectors inside a pyramid can discern cavities within a solid structure.

(Reporting by Will Dunham; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-03

This is not surprising to me in the least.  I'm still waiting for them to find the chamber buried under the right front paw of the Sphinx, where Edgar Cayce said it would be almost 100 years ago.  They found it 20 years ago, but still don't have permission to dig down and open it. 

If anyone believes that a bunch of primitive humans without the technology necessary built the structures that still exist for millennia, I have a bridge for sale.

If anyone doesn't believe that a more advanced race, whether of an earth origin species, or of aliens, created such, just look at the remains still in evidence in Sth America. It's all in plain view.

They have even discovered pyramids in Bosnia that are apparently 25,000 years old made from concrete. Plenty about it on the internet.

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

This is not surprising to me in the least.  I'm still waiting for them to find the chamber buried under the right front paw of the Sphinx, where Edgar Cayce said it would be almost 100 years ago.  They found it 20 years ago, but still don't have permission to dig down and open it. 

As soon as I saw the Sphinx up close for the first time, I was surprised that they hadn't discovered any chambers within (or under) it. Especially with the way the brickwork on the legs looked.

Sphinx-b.jpg.7f42f6433b7d0e0e9e568847598c6288.jpgSphinx-a.jpg.ea64ffb001bf1d8ba4406cbbc7683437.jpg

Of course, reading up on it over the last hour it appears (from genuine sources) that there may be cavities under the Sphinx, and some chambers which may be natural.

There is evidence that the water table in some spots is just a few meters below the base of the Sphinx and the Egyptians have apparently been trying to drain a lot of that water off to help preserve the structure. That would invariably create "hollow" spaces when the water is drained away.

Of course there are also stories that Hawass was filmed crawling through tunnels that were supposedly under the Sphinx, and then 3 years later denying that any such tunnels existed.

Seems to be more than a little BS going on with the whole affair.

The earliest pyramids like the Step Pyramid seem to have been built to cover the burial chambers of their respective pharaohs. The age of the Sphinx seem to still be subject to debate but it is at least as old as the Giza pyramids, if not older. It is possible that perhaps it was built over top of the burial chamber of an earlier pharaoh and that later pharaohs like Khufu built their pyramids near the Sphinx in order to try and "associate" themselves to that structure.

However I doubt there is anything worth "finding" under there. If there were it would have been looted (repeatedly) already and anything left behind would likely have been ruined by the groundwater problems. When you see the massive effort looters put into carving holes into the pyramids, the Sphinx wouldn't have even been a challenge for them.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

So, I do understand this right. You are waiting to find something that they already found 20 years ago?
    I would actually think that´s totally impossible.

No sorry, just joking with you. I understand you´re waiting for them to explore what they found. Unfortunately that might never happen, due to that they also have to protect a wonder of the world. If starting digging that might lead to a collapse of the structure.

There's zero evidence that the Pyramid of Giza was used to entomb a Pharaoh. In fact the only evidence of its intention available, is that vast resources were spent on complex design features which demonstrably have another purpose:

https://www.newdawnmagazine.com/articles/a-new-theory-for-the-great-pyramid-how-science-is-changing-our-view-of-the-past