Travelling to Thailand? Check your travel insurance.

rooster59

Travelling to Thailand? Check your travel insurance.

By Tanutam Thawan

4fadfab5a3901781abf8909bf153d1cc.jpeg

A cautionary tale…

30 year old Australian Stacey Liddle is still holed up at Vachira Hospital after a traumatic road accident in Chalong caused a lot of damage to her leg which doctors are now trying to save. Whilst she had travel insurance her insurance didn’t cover this accident due to fine print in the contract.

Speaking to news.com.au from Thailand, Ms Liddle’s friend, Sinead Markham, said the pair were riding scooters in Chalong in Phuket when the accident happened.

(NB: Most insurers will require you to have a valid motorbike licence in Thailand you’re visiting for the insurance to be valid in the case of a motorbike accident when you are driving the motorbike – check your fine print!)

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle/travelling-thailand-check-travel-insurance

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-11-04

Fine Print... the biggest con insurance companies have. most people can,t even see it to read it.

and its in a language that no one can understand. what you are not covered for should be in BOLD

writing. Good luck young lady.

anyone who travels outside ther own country who does not have travel insurance is an idiot

plain and simple or has been living in a cave. They also need to understand that there are caveats attached to the money you shell out. 50 dollar insurance is never going to cover you for climbing onto moped / jet ski / para sail / zip line / tandem sky diving / swimming when red flags are flying etc.,

Social media does not do the subject justice.

Instead of posting stupid selfies and pictures of their latest meal - send details of this incident and the staggering road death and injury news recently posted on TV so at the very least somebody gets wise to what can happen.....also the story of another Aussie who managed to kill his new bride with a jet ski.

2 hours ago, oldgent said:

Fine Print... the biggest con insurance companies have. most people can,t even see it to read it.

and its in a language that no one can understand. what you are not covered for should be in BOLD

Most travel insurance policies are now written in quite clear language and the terms and conditions are generally in exactly the same size font as the rest of the policy. 

31 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Most travel insurance policies are now written in quite clear language and the terms and conditions are generally in exactly the same size font as the rest of the policy. 

Yes, and often motorbike coverage can be had for minimal extra fee, but you must be licensed and wear a crash helmet regardless of the law in whatever country/state you ride in. 

Not difficult to understand. 

Edited by tryasimight

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Better yet, don't come here.

We are really starting to see the effects of the lack of proper public transport here now, with the majority of tourist coming to Phuket now using coach buses.

I have no doubt the transport mafia here played a big role in changing the tourist demographic of Phuket. 

They are now reaping what they have sowed. 

You now see bus loads of tourists driving past parked tuk-tuks - sympathy, zero. 

1 hour ago, oldgent said:

just thought ... most of us maybe not all has used a motorcy taxi if you were involved in an accident

and was hospitalized who is responseable for the hospital fees

Motorbike taxi's are commercial "for Hire " vehicles and the drivers have a specific license.. I would imagine the license or bike registration/tax would include 3rd party insurance. There is an insurance aspect in the normal motorbke tax that covers driver/passengers up to 30,000 baht.

54 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Yes, but how many average joes read the policy ..... I know I don't. But I do know that  if drive without the correct licence then the policy won't ever pay

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Motorbike taxi's are commercial "for Hire " vehicles and the drivers have a specific license.. I would imagine the license or bike registration/tax would include 3rd party insurance. There is an insurance aspect in the normal motorbke tax that covers driver/passengers up to 30,000 baht.

I very much doubt these m/bike taxis have anything other than the regular compulsory insurance for driver and pax. Think it might be 50,000 baht. Good luck getting a hold of the m/cycle insurance policy unless the driver is in hospital with you.  50,000 baht is a pitiful amount of coverage for major injuries.

15 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

We are really starting to see the effects of the lack of proper public transport here now, with the majority of tourist coming to Phuket now using coach buses.

I have no doubt the transport mafia here played a big role in changing the tourist demographic of Phuket. 

They are now reaping what they have sowed. 

You now see bus loads of tourists driving past parked tuk-tuks - sympathy, zero. 

And we road users also see a big increase in Chinese renting m/bikes who have no idea how to drive or even where they are going.  Danger to themselves and other road users,

Why did the bus company's insurance not cover her medical costs. They knocked

her over, then the back wheels of the bus ran over her leg. As for those who say

anyone who leaves there home country without insurance are crazy, I say those

who think when they buy insurance they are actually covered are equally crazy.

Of course driving a scooter while unlicensed is not going to be covered, but neither are

pre-existing conditions. If you have a heart attack or stroke and you have high blood

pressure you are not covered. Scuba diving, para sailing, jet skiing, paragliding,

parachuting, zip lining, etc....etc... will, in most cases not be covered with the cheap

insurance people talk about. A special rider will need to be in place for sporting activities.

Of course most of the time nothing happens. The insurance companies collect there

premiums, travellers return home with no issues so no claims, but if something had

happened they would have found out they were not covered.

People need to understand insurance companies are in business to make money, not

pay out claims.

8 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, but how many average joes read the policy ..... I know I don't. But I do know that  if drive without the correct licence then the policy won't ever pay

I have been checking and the ones I have looked at so far have a list with boxes you tick.put in the dates and country up pops a basic fee and start ticking the boxes.Basic +medical insurance seems to be about €110 for eight weeksfor me,not sure if that covers repatriation or not,I will check it covers hospital and getting me back but will definitely get some insurance. 

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It used to be the rule that a foreign passenger on a motorcycle taxi or in a meter taxi/ tuk tuk who was injured in an accident the bill was paid by the government. Treatment in Bangkok was at the police hospital but maybe things have changed 

Edited by Raybangkok

14 hours ago, oldgent said:

Any travel insurances I have purchased, what it covers AND what it does not cover is very clear! The old fear of "small print" in nanny states has virtually been wiped out. Remember also that you buy the policy from the insurer, they don't sell it to you. Up to you to make sure what you are 'covered for' and vice versa.

Sad to hear what happened and I hope she can get the help she needs.

Below is a section from the Allianz insurance I use.

Cost is around $250 for a 1 month trip for both my wife and myself, although  they also have a 12 month unlimited travel.

Did a check and there are many that have the 12 month option ranging from around $300 to $1200.

Anyhow, easily understood requirements.

Basically, have a current bike licence, have a driving permit, wear a helmet, obey the road rules.

Want to ride the big mothers? (over 250cc) get extra cover.

TravelInsurance.doc

Edited by bluejets

5 hours ago, Ulic said:

Why did the bus company's insurance not cover her medical costs. They knocked

her over, then the back wheels of the bus ran over her leg. As for those who say

anyone who leaves there home country without insurance are crazy, I say those

who think when they buy insurance they are actually covered are equally crazy.

Of course driving a scooter while unlicensed is not going to be covered, but neither are

pre-existing conditions. If you have a heart attack or stroke and you have high blood

pressure you are not covered. Scuba diving, para sailing, jet skiing, paragliding,

parachuting, zip lining, etc....etc... will, in most cases not be covered with the cheap

insurance people talk about. A special rider will need to be in place for sporting activities.

Of course most of the time nothing happens. The insurance companies collect there

premiums, travellers return home with no issues so no claims, but if something had

happened they would have found out they were not covered.

People need to understand insurance companies are in business to make money, not

pay out claims.

You clearly have a lack of knowledge on the subject.

17 hours ago, oldgent said:

Never had a problem reading a policy disclosure statement PDS and all the fine prints on ALL travel insurance taken out over the years that I have, even as far as the policies stating that rental car excess or waiver as known in other countries is only say $2,000AUS for arguments sake, which allows me to take out a higher cover, which covers the total excess/waiver of the rental car, for a small additional fee, and anyone who doesn't read the PDS gets what they are paying for, i.e. we will not cover you if you ride a motor scooter or motorbike over 125cc, and we will not cover you if you do not wear a helmet, and we will not cover you unless you have a valid licence to ride a motor scooter/motorbike in the country you choose to ride the  motor scooter/motorbike in, simple really, as opposed to, I can;t believe the insurer isn't covering me, I paid insurance, so I should be covered, yes my dear, but what are you covered for, I don't know, I just paid for travel insurance, der !!!

I have house insurance, and I know I am not covered in the event of an earthquake, how many people would read their PDS to know what is and what isn't covered in their insurance polices, don't blame the insurer, they are disclosing what they don't cover, you have a duty of care upon yourself to know what you are covered for.  

Does anyone have anything good to say about a claim they've made on a travel insurance policy?

After some checking, I decided to pay $332 for the Allianz Global Assistance Classic Plan, which DOES cover pre-existing conditions and has $25,000 medical coverage for 6 months. There is also $500,000 for medical evacuation, along with the usual trip delay/cancellation and baggage coverage.  I hope I don't have to use this insurance but it makes me feel more comfortable having it although I do harbor a deep distrust of insurance companies whom I believe are the principal cause, along with their lawyer friends,  of out of control medical costs in the USA.

35 minutes ago, yooper said:

Does anyone have anything good to say about a claim they've made on a travel insurance policy?

After some checking, I decided to pay $332 for the Allianz Global Assistance Classic Plan, which DOES cover pre-existing conditions and has $25,000 medical coverage for 6 months. There is also $500,000 for medical evacuation, along with the usual trip delay/cancellation and baggage coverage.  I hope I don't have to use this insurance but it makes me feel more comfortable having it although I do harbor a deep distrust of insurance companies whom I believe are the principal cause, along with their lawyer friends,  of out of control medical costs in the USA.

Yes, I made a claim on my travel insurance about 5 years ago following a two night stay in Pattaya Memorial Hospital. The insurer paid on the day I was discharged.