Being Ignored - Do you say anything?

Neeranam

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's the wiring: the optical sensors register a foreigner's profile. It's processed and stored on the hard-drive. The internal system is looking for a translation service, but there is nothing suitable, result: the systems hangs, or fatal error, reboot.

The workaround for this bug: On initial contact, very quickly communicate your Thai language ability before the system has a chance to register you. This will bypass the shutdown, and allow Thai protocols to take over.

Or, you could wait for the nationwide upgrade to Thai 4.0

"Silence is Golden".

In the nearly 2 decades that I have been living in Thailand, I was "ignored" by the service people at a restaurant.
1 Restaurant did even ignored all foreigners and served the Thai customers first.

I don't speak or argue about being "ignored".
If a restaurant chose to ignore me,  I simply leave the restaurant and pay for whatever I was consuming.
But I NEVER go back to that restaurant and if somebody asks me about that particular restaurant I warn them about their behaviour against customers.
2 Restaurants closed after they tried to do that with me.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is not a fact. People who want to cheat you don't like it, this is more common in the red light area's. In the "normal" world they like it.

Exactly, or even guys with wives that are ripping them of off and disrespecting them in general.

2 hours ago, masuk said:

Many stores have the staff sitting around in a corner, chatting, and totally ignoring the farang customer.

It's often up to me to break up the happy chatting and ask for a bit of service.

I know a lack of common language on both sides is a huge problem in this country, but it's such a total contrast with other ASEAN countries.

Home Pro is an exception, where staff will go and seek out an English speaker to help this mute farang.

The worst are some home stores that hire Burmese. Usually the Thai looks at me, runs to get the Burmese, whose English is terrible, I ask for a Thai, a Thai that's speaks a little English comes, I tell him that speaking Thai is better, he knows nothing of the product I'm buying and the original salesman comes back.

Last night at my tennis club, a woman cambe over and talked to me in good English. A Thai passed and I spoke Thai to him. She asked how I could speak Thai. I asked how she could speak English.she said she lived in Australia for 2 years. I said I've lived in Thailand for 22 years. Her look was priceless!

I think I have seen this post before.  However, some of the issues you mention seem rather normal to me. For example, Thais generally do not speak any other language and will often go to the person they think is Thai to speak. Even if you do order originally, they may be afraid their next question would result in an answer they could not understand. My wife is not Thai, she is Filipina, but Thais invariably talk to her even though my Thai is better than hers. Another example, you mention giving the change back to your wife. In many Asian families, it is common for the wife to handle the daily expenses, and it may actually be a compliment thinking you have been married a long time. I had to chuckle when you mentioned the parking attendant who told your children you needed a new car. I was stopped at a traffic light in Songkhla and a Mercedes ran into the rear of my car. The driver had no driver's license, no insurance and no tax stamp, yet she told my wife that ours was just an old Japanese car, so it did not matter that it was scratched. Thais, like many other people who are less informed, make many stupid statements. Methinks you are just getting grouchy, take it easy and just smile, it will be less stressful. In fact, I usually complain with my feet; I'll simply go somewhere else and not return.  

If you think it's bad here, you should try Australia. Making eye contact with wait staff there is a labor of Hercules.

I just write it off to poor training. Competent staff are coached to constantly scan a room.

I think I'm more patient than my Thai GF. Several times she has decided she has waited long enough for service, and walked out with me in tow. She's not shy about letting them know what she thinks, either.

I've never had the experience of paying the bill, and having the change handed back to my GF.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

That is because if you don't speak some French, we assume that you are American!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Excusez moi je suis américain et je parle français-----oh wait TV forum says you must write in English so I will translate "Excuse me I am American and I speak French"

This is why i only visit big places where i don't have to speak to anybody. 

But in Mac donalds or Burger king i make fun of them if they don't know what a hamburger is or don't know the numbers one two three and so.

Everywhere in BKK they have very young staff who are as dumb as a doorknob and can't speak inlit. I also use it though, the police or security don't dare to speak to me which is great.

But even loads of university graduated IT-pro's can't speak a word inlit, so i just don't speak to the one who can and ignore the others.

But in hotels (the better ones) i expect them to speak english to me and not thai to my wife or i will just tell them so. Thai always try the most easy way for them, they are just very selfish people.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It is not a fact. People who want to cheat you don't like it, this is more common in the red light area's. In the "normal" world they like it.

I'd say you're right for the most part, but there are some xenophobic nationalist types who see foreigners speaking Thai as some kind of threat, like we're trying to climb over the invisible walls protecting their "tribe." But I think this is beside the point that the OP is getting at. 

We may interpret being ignored as simply rude because we can communicate in Thai, but I've found that there's more to the timidness than some foreigners may realize.

Some Thais are embarrassed by their own poor English skills, considering that they take this subject throughout their school years. The way they look at it, speaking Thai with a foreigner puts their lack of English ability on display. All Thais are sensitive about losing face, even in tiny ways, so many of those who can't speak English try to avoid any interaction with foreigners at all. Hence they look straight to the foreigner's Thai partner or even child. It used to annoy me, but once I considered it from a Thai perspective, I accepted it as just another quirk of a cross-cultural life. A foreigner should never expect to be treated the same as a Thai.  

This is why, I've found, most foreigners who speak fluent Thai tend hold it back and use English for simple exchanges, at least when the Thai shows that they have some basic English ability. Successfully completing the interaction in English will make the Thai feel self-assured, whereas they'll lose face if their English breaks down to the point that we're forced to switch languages. Thus, Thai ability becomes a sort of "secret weapon" rather than a blanket necessity for all interactions, as English would be for a Thai living in the US, for example. 

It is a mystery and has been an issue for all no matter how well they speak. Also the vast majority of Thai people in touristed areas or baan non both do not understand Thai unless it is spoken by native speaker.  Some just dont.  

When in these situations I always start with smile and bit of chit chat warm up so they hear me voice.  This works wonders.  

There are a a couple of points here.

it is astonishing how many farang have an unrealistically high opinion of their ability to speak Thai clearly.They communicate with their partner/families perhaps but don't understand  the latter have over the years resorted to some kind of pidgin Thai.The self aware might understand this but some don't and laughably have persuaded themselves they speak "good Thai".These are the people who freak out when some poor Thai is mystified by the murder of their language.

if the foreigner does indeed speak good Thai there is often a genuine surprise that he does so.This often means the waiter or whoever will be psyched out and turn to the person who seems likely to be a Thai speaker.No need to be offended by this.

It annoyed me when the change was always given to my gf when i had paid !! it seemed rude so i asked the gf not to take any change offered and just look at me instead, it works well and they usually give me the change and look suitably embarrassed.

Might seem a little bit childish to do this but it’s just a way of letting them know that they were not following the correct “ etiquette “ without making a scene.

I’ve been told that waitresses etc giving the change to the wife is customary here, it’s one of those little nuances of Thai etiquette, you show status by paying, whereas collecting the change you’d expect in restaurants etc .... coins, small notes, kinda ruins the effect.

Sent from my Anderson Shelter using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If a Farlang goes out and takes a Thai with him, Thais will always prefer to deal with the Thai and ignore the paleface. It`s always been this way. When I go out to do business, pay bills, banking and shopping I go alone, this way Thais have to communicate directly with me.

Another strange phenomenon, is that when out on my motorbike, I instantly become invisible to all Thai motorists.  It becomes my task to dodge the traffic and to arrive at my destination in one piece.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

The worst are some home stores that hire Burmese. Usually the Thai looks at me, runs to get the Burmese, whose English is terrible, I ask for a Thai, a Thai that's speaks a little English comes, I tell him that speaking Thai is better, he knows nothing of the product I'm buying and the original salesman comes back.

About 10 years ago, I went to the Odean looking for underwear. My Thai was not that great, they spoke no English, so after a couple of minutes of broken Thai and charades, I showed the the top of my underwear and asked where. Both of them said, mai mee. I knew that could not be true, so I looked around and finally found them on another floor. I went back out and passed the two clerks, showed them my purchases; they looked as if they had no idea why I was showing them the underwear. 

17 hours ago, JohnMc45 said:

If you think that's bad. Try visiting Quebec in Canada where they speck English but will act like they don't.  

Lol! Went to Canada skiing with a high school buddy, and we got a little lost. Stopped at a gas station to ask directions. My friend rolls down the window and asks, much to my cringement, "Do you speak English?" "Only if I 'ave to."
He was kind enough to "'ave to".especially after I asked "Vous pouvez remplir l'essence?":smile: