British woman facing death penalty in Egypt for carrying PAINKILLERS has become a 'zombie'

webfact

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, wabothai said:

operation on a hip joint is quite common

Yip, I've had one of those and will eventually have another, probably, but as the arthritis degenerates the cartilage the sternum starts to misalign, which puts additional strain where it connects to the back bone. I don't have US$10,000 plus for another hip replacement, plus it's just too soon. So I deal with the pain. A tramadol does the trick when the Tylenol by itself doesn't.

Individual experiences with tramadol are going to be different. Ultimately, this unique opioid has tremendous potential in the right individual, but it is not the right choice for everybody. Once the myths are dispelled and the facts understood, tramadol can continue to serve a purpose in treating those with pain. I fortunately don't have a problem when I don't take it and I don't take it everyday, because I don't have pain everyday.

• Like 2

I have also taken tramadol for recurring back pain...Sometimes I take it everyday for months and have no problems stopping when the back pain goes away...It is always a good idea to slowly taper down most pain meds if you have been taking them for a longer time... 

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2017 at 5:21 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

I also used to take them after I cracked a rib, 1 or 2 a day for about 2 weeks. Any more and I risked addiction. Tramadol is not suitable for long term use. More than a month and you're hooked.

300 tablets, you're either an addict or a dealer.

she might have planned on staying awhile....many doctors in the usa will up your supply if your going to be away longer than the norm...kinda a courtesy thing if youve been treated awhie

• 1 month later...

She has been sentenced to 3 years...

A British woman has been convicted of smuggling 300 painkiller tablets into Egypt and jailed for three years.

Laura Plummer, 33, was arrested after she was found with the Tramadol tablets in her suitcase, on 9 October.

Plummer, from Hull, had claimed the painkiller, legal in the UK but banned in Egypt, was for her Egyptian partner, to treat his back pain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42483135

In the UK Tramadol is a schedule 3 controlled drug and requires a doctors prescription, so I doubt she got them legally, silly girl. 

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

She has been sentenced to 3 years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42483135

In the UK Tramadol is a schedule 3 controlled drug and requires a doctors prescription, so I doubt she got them legally, silly girl. 

Media reports claim she obtained the drugs 'from a friend', so it was an illegal transaction. As the person had travelled to Egypt on a number of prior occasions, presumably with the same drug for her husband, it is difficult to accept she was unaware she was committing criminal acts in Egypt and the UK.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2017 at 7:55 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

300 Tramadol, that's a serious addiction. Almost 1,000bht at a Thai pharmacy  for that amount.

no, its safety.

i dont need that kind of safety margin because i can get it in the pharmacy around the corner.

when no supermarket had had caviar for months, i bought up all they got for several thousands of baht when i got the chance, i'm not taking risks when there's a risk of no supply.

that doesnt make me a caviar dealer, it just means i'm not going to risk being without

Edited by poanoi

On 11/8/2017 at 4:21 PM, jimmyaaa said:

she might have planned on staying awhile....many doctors in the usa will up your supply if your going to be away longer than the norm...kinda a courtesy thing if youve been treated awhie

I would have thought that any doctor or pharmacist would be aware that medication containing  opioids are illegal in may countries, so  in the USA I would assume if you asked your doctor to up your supply because you were going away and you get arrested I would have thought one would have a good case to sue for malpractice 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 4:01 AM, retarius said:

Tramadol is a prescription drug in the UK whereas one can buy it in limited quantities without prescription in Thailand.

Given that she had a very large quantity (290) from the UK she should have a prescription which she should be able to show the authorities which could perhaps mitigate the higher ranges of the possible punishment. If she has obtained these drugs illegally in the UK and transported them to Egypt without prescription then frankly she deserves whatever she gets in my opinion, as there are many painkiller alternatives to Tramadol for back pain.

Not sure on the legality in Thailand. it is well documented that many Thai pharmacists sell from under the counter.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

1) She also obtained them illegally in the UK
2) Her husband has been banned from entering the UK due to drug related convictions in Egypt
3) As in most countries, opiates are only available by prescription and obtaining them elsewhere is illegal even in the USA, UK, Australia..
4) Having 300 is absolutely distribution possession.
5) She answered no to the question on her Egyptian entry form written in English "Do you have any prescription medications to declare?"

British Embassy should demand her release, but they won't. The British and American diplomats are the most worthless crew of looters on the public payroll. What, exactly, are they paid to do??

Edited by Jools

16 minutes ago, Jools said:

British Embassy should demand her release, but they won't. The British and American diplomats are the most worthless crew of looters on the public payroll. What, exactly, are they paid to do??

Why should they???

No doubt they have asked for leniency, but they were not an over the counter none prescription pain killer, she would have gone to a lot of trouble to acquire the drugs knowing full well they were not legal in the UK without a prescription, and I can not believe that she was not aware that they were totally illegal in Egypt.

Say an Egyptian was caught entering the UK with a large quantity of drugs, we should let them go because some guy from the Egyptian embassy goes around banging his fists on desks?

• Like 1

Tramadol is a dangerous drug that causes weird withdrawal symptoms and was just recently under attack of Thailand's drug enforcement.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-teens-tramadol-painkillers-restricted-new-abuse-trend-emerges-among-teens/

People all around the world are using/abusing Tramadol and the woman can't be so naive that she didn't know about the illegality of more than 300 tabs.

Would she have had a prescription I don't think that there'd be a big problem. But I guess the pills were bought on the black market, or she had a "good doctor" who sold her the <deleted> on private basis.

Considering that she didn't declare the drugs when being asked makes it very complicated for all involved, I'm sure that druggies in Egypt will pay a lot more than what you have to pay at a drugstore in Europe. 

She basically knew that she's smuggling drugs and that's a fact she won't be able to deny. It's still possible that she's also hooked up on Tramadol, if so why did she never think about being a victim? The wrong lawyer, perhaps? 

Is it possible that she wanted to finance her holiday with the pills? What do the Egypts know about her and her dubious husband?

Those who say that she deserved the death penalty are heartless idiots in my eyes. I don't think that they'll finally use the death penalty, but they must show others that their laws aren't there to break them.

I truly hope that she's soon a free woman and the British embassy does all they can to give her a helping hand. 

Edited by jenny2017

24 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Why should they???

No doubt they have asked for leniency, but they were not an over the counter none prescription pain killer, she would have gone to a lot of trouble to acquire the drugs knowing full well they were not legal in the UK without a prescription, and I can not believe that she was not aware that they were totally illegal in Egypt.

Say an Egyptian was caught entering the UK with a large quantity of drugs, we should let them go because some guy from the Egyptian embassy goes around banging his fists on desks?

I would assume that drug mules from Egypt would be trafficking in heroin or something truly dangerous. Tramadol is a drug that was prescribed by my doctor in the USA, precisely because it is NOT addictive and certainly is not a conduit to "get high". The hysteria that precipitated its status in Egypt is likely the result of an "overkill" approach to pressure from US agencies that are involved in the ludicrous "war on drugs" (a failure by any standard). The lack of balls by governments all over the world in regard to US pressure is shameful. They have made it extremely difficult for American citizens to open a bank account here and they seemingly need to meddle in every aspect of nearly everything else that doesn't concern them. Sad that US funds rule the roost when foreign governments used to tell them to mind their own business.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jools said:

I would assume that drug mules from Egypt would be trafficking in heroin or something truly dangerous. Tramadol is a drug that was prescribed by my doctor in the USA, precisely because it is NOT addictive and certainly is not a conduit to "get high". The hysteria that precipitated its status in Egypt is likely the result of an "overkill" approach to pressure from US agencies that are involved in the ludicrous "war on drugs" (a failure by any standard). The lack of balls by governments all over the world in regard to US pressure is shameful. They have made it extremely difficult for American citizens to open a bank account here and they seemingly need to meddle in every aspect of nearly everything else that doesn't concern them. Sad that US funds rule the roost when foreign governments used to tell them to mind their own business.

Your words are totally wrong. It's not about America now and these pills are being used to get a certain high by many people around the world.

Of course not by those who have an Oxi doctor, or more than one. 

Now it's also not about how difficult it is to open a bank account in America. It's about a law broken by a British lady and it's not sugar what she smuggled. 

Tramadol pills are used as a drug and the side effects are more than terrible for those who take more of that drug. Please see side effects here:   

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/tramadol-side-effects.html

The strong opioid painkiller is available on prescription in the UK but is illegal in Egypt, where it is often abused as a recreational drug. Please see:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/875658/british-woman-laura-plummer-egypt-death-penalty-painkillers-drugs-foreign-office

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Tramadol is a dangerous drug that causes weird withdrawal symptoms and was just recently under attack of Thailand's drug enforcement.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-teens-tramadol-painkillers-restricted-new-abuse-trend-emerges-among-teens/

People all around the world are using/abusing Tramadol and the woman can't be so naive that she didn't know about the illegality of more than 300 tabs.

Would she have had a prescription I don't think that there'd be a big problem. But I guess the pills were bought on the black market, or she had a "good doctor" who sold her the <deleted> on private basis.

Considering that she didn't declare the drugs when being asked makes it very complicated for all involved, I'm sure that druggies in Egypt will pay a lot more than what you have to pay at a drugstore in Europe. 

She basically knew that she's smuggling drugs and that's a fact she won't be able to deny. It's still possible that she's also hooked up on Tramadol, if so why did she never think about being a victim? The wrong lawyer, perhaps? 

Is it possible that she wanted to finance her holiday with the pills? What do the Egypts know about her and her dubious husband?

Those who say that she deserved the death penalty are heartless idiots in my eyes. I don't think that they'll finally use the death penalty, but they must show others that their laws aren't there to break them.

I truly hope that she's soon a free woman and the British embassy does all they can to give her a helping hand. 

According to another topic here she bought them at the request of her partner, living in Egypt, where he/she could not obtain them.

Convicted to 3 years.

Edited by stevenl

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

According to another topic here she bought them at the request of her partner, living in Egypt, where he/she could not obtain them.

Convicted to 3 years.

Would you tell your wife to bring you heroin to Thailand, would she do that?

A request is a request, she seems to be old enough to understand that. 

On 11/6/2017 at 3:21 PM, FritsSikkink said:

She is British, what has that to do with a Navy Seal Team?  

America and the UK kiss each others backsides. That's why the UK tends to follow the USA into every pointless war that they can dream up. It is not inconceivable that Navy Seals (or the UK equivalent) could be brought to bear on egregious cases of abuse such as this one. The "weird withdrawal symptoms" mentioned by one poster here, include RETURN OF PAIN. Yes, very "weird" when you cease to take a drug which is helping your existence become more bearable. I take Tramadol sparingly along with paracetamol for back pain. The opinion of my US doctor seems to conflict with the medical experts here on TVF which seem to have rather hysterical views on its value. Doc says it is not addictive and has no recreational potential. His word against the TVF Medical Board. My local doctor here in Thailand is a Swiss expat who concurs with my US doctor on Tramadol. He only dispenses it in 100 milligram tabs, as opposed to the weak 50 mg tabs dispensed by some pharmacies here. Most pharmacies which do not have a licensed pharmacist on duty at all times, have ceased to carry Tramadol at all. They don't want to deal with the paperwork and the ever-changing stance of the Thai government.

Edited by Jools
clarity

26 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Would you tell your wife to bring you heroin to Thailand, would she do that?

A request is a request, she seems to be old enough to understand that. 

I'm just correcting your post.

36 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Tramadol is a dangerous drug

No it's not, it's a painkiller. Can it be abused? Yes, but so can a lot of other drugs, that doesn't mean it a "dangerous drug" per se. 

Surely there must be statistics out there for such a dangerous drug. Do you know of any fatalities due to Tramadol abuse? Number of broken households? If it's such an epidemic with youngsters, I guess students in Thailand are abandoning their studies all over Thailand and start becoming Tramadol dealers instead? Why don't we ever get to read about these cases? 

Repeating the same thing over and over again (it's dangerous!!) doesn't make it true, and just because it's written everywhere "in the media" doesn't mean that these journalists have actually done any research. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jools said:

America and the UK kiss each others backsides. That's why the UK tends to follow the USA into every pointless war that they can dream up. It is not inconceivable that Navy Seals (or the UK equivalent) could be brought to bear on egregious cases of abuse such as this one. The "weird withdrawal symptoms" mentioned by one poster here, include RETURN OF PAIN. Yes, very "weird" when you cease to take a drug which is helping your existence become more bearable. I take Tramadol sparingly along with paracetamol for back pain. The opinion of my US doctor seems to conflict with the medical experts here on TVF which seem to have rather hysterical views on its value. Doc says it is not addictive and has no recreational potential. His word against the TVF Medical Board. My local doctor here in Thailand is a Swiss expat who concurs with my US doctor on Tramadol. He only dispenses it in 100 milligram tabs, as opposed to the weak 50 mg tabs dispensed by some pharmacies here. Most pharmacies which do not have a licensed pharmacist on duty at all times, have ceased to carry Tramadol at all. They don't want to deal with the paperwork and the ever-changing stance of the Thai government.

Doc says it is not addictive and has no recreational potential.

Doc is wrong, or at least not accurate.

Tramadol is used for recreational purposes, but one needs a relatively high dosage to get a proper effect. To achieve this people crush pills and snort a line. Quite different from the effect one gets from taking a tablet. And, of course, a much higher dosage - which would go a ways making it more dangerous with regard to addiction potential (if frequent usage) and harmful side effects.

In Egypt, it became a "thing" when authorities seriously clamped on "illegal" drugs. That's one reason girly was bringing it in, and why authorities aren't cutting her slack.

Edit: I think one issue that might muddy the waters is that Tramadol is often taken in conjunction with other drugs (whether for medicinal or recreational purposes).

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

One more factoid: Tramadol is NOT an  opioid painkiller. It works in a similar fashion. My physician told me that it is "about one molecule removed" from the opioid painkillers. The hysteria surrounding this drug would be incredible if it weren't for the general insanity surrounding ANY preparation which kills pain, relaxes or contributes to a more peaceful existence. The rest of the world needs to stop blindly following the US drug warriors around and make their own decisions. Even the USA is looking at something of a civil war over marijuana, which is getting press because of medicinal use. Trump's DOJ appointee, Jeff Sessions is an old-line "drug warrior" who watched "Reefer Madness" too many times and thinks it's reality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sapporillo said:

No it's not, it's a painkiller. Can it be abused? Yes, but so can a lot of other drugs, that doesn't mean it a "dangerous drug" per se. 

Surely there must be statistics out there for such a dangerous drug. Do you know of any fatalities due to Tramadol abuse? Number of broken households? If it's such an epidemic with youngsters, I guess students in Thailand are abandoning their studies all over Thailand and start becoming Tramadol dealers instead? Why don't we ever get to read about these cases? 

Repeating the same thing over and over again (it's dangerous!!) doesn't make it true, and just because it's written everywhere "in the media" doesn't mean that these journalists have actually done any research. 

Considering the side effects for long time users, the use of the drug is dangerous. Of course not a hardcore drug like heroin. 

It's neither an epidemic, nor do students in Thailand abandon their studies. And when people are trying to smuggle a couple of hundred pills to an Arabic country, it becomes a dangerous drug.

:stoner:

For the smuggler. 

48 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Considering the side effects for long time users, the use of the drug is dangerous

Well, it has an addictive potential, that's for sure. If you have been taking them for a long time, and all of a sudden you don't need them anymore (miraculous healing?), it could take you a few weeks to taper off, although, most pain patients would do whatever it takes to quit as quickly as possible. I mean, if you need them for your condition, your biggest wish is to NOT need them anymore... Also, in the big scheme, a few weeks of tapering off a drug is nothing compared to years of being in pain.

But, since you mentioned the "side effects" (plural) that make this a dangerous drug, would you care to mention a few others? Constipation?

And if you're going to copy a link to the patient information, just know that virtually any drug lists an amazing number of possible side effects in its patient information, that's not unique to Tramadol.

Again, don't believe everything you read. You wrote a pretty long post; do you have any first hand information or experience with this drug? It certainly doesn't seem so from what you wrote.

7 hours ago, Jools said:

I presume they have been assisting, visits to check her well being, adviser of her rights, plea on her behalf, but they do not got banging fists on desks threatening war...

By the way I assume she will get a bill for £150 for ever hour or part of, for consulate support 

Consular_Fee_Table_Dec17.pdf

Now Mummy has gone crying to the media saying that her daughter has been sent to a very bad prison... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-42495923