Trump says Texas shooting due to 'mental health problem,' not a gun issue

webfact

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

Another shooting and no good guys with guns around, shocking. This is getting to be a broken record.

Maybe reducing guns in US society is the way forward, unless NRA members can stop talking the talk and actually walk the walk.

In fact, two guys probably stopped the killer doing more havoc, hunted him down, probably killed him. After some time the police arrived.

Yes the two guys owned guns and used them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Pardon me for bringing this up....

In my country the gun laws are very,very restrictive, private ownership is only possible under strict rule, and then only for sports hooting and hunting.

Even so, this year, many people were killed, using guns and other means.

The guns used in those killings were all illegal!

The police has not the means to control illegal ownership and use of guns, not at all.

Nowhere in the world.

Gun laws can only work if there is a means to not only control legal owned guns.

If some nutcase goes on skilling spree using guns, the problem is not the guns but the nutcase.

Something must be done about the right people owning guns while excluding existing or new nutcases.

Which of course might also do something about illegal use of guns.

That said, how many people are killed in traffic on a daily basis?

I think very many more per day as we now see in these awful incidents.

When are we going to do something about these deaths?

Hansnl - I'm gonna guess you are from the Netherlands. If the USA could get down to the Netherlands' numbers it would be an freaking miracle and no one would complain. (Although you apparently are - "many people were killed, using guns and other means.")

Violent crime > Gun crime  per 100 residents 3.9 
Ranked 107th.
Ranked 1st. 23 times more than Netherlands

Violent crime > Murder rate 179 
Ranked 63th.
Ranked 9th. 73 times more than Netherlands
  • Like 1

America sucks now, people are either doing opiates or shooting each other in desperation.  it is this desperation that got this sicko elected. same thing happen in Germany. if you are smart or talented or come from old money you will be OK.  Horatio Algiers stories are utter B.S.  sorry folks.

Edited by malibukid
  • Thanks 1

Australia has recently started a computerized medication database, requiring proof of ID to get drugs ( I suppose it stops people getting prescriptions from multiple doctors)

if people are on anti depressants or any other drugs in an attempt to maintain mental stability, this can be seen

given this, it would be easy to take the next step, and regulate to prevent gun ownership by mentally unstable people.

yes... true...it does not stop illegal ownership, but perhaps it’s a foothold worth establishing, which would not deny responsible owners their civil liberties and rights.... as I think most people don’t have a problem with responsible ownership (it’s the crazies ya gotta watch)

of course, I have no idea if such medical record correlation exists in the US... just spit balling, as they say... and perhaps a small step worth taking to please and appease.

So this is not a Guns issue it is a mental health issue, and when a Muslim drives a vehicle into a crowd of people it is an immigration issue, a political issue and a terrorist issue. On Camera Trump also said again that 'it is too soon to talk about it'!!! He couldn't tweet fast enough when the vehicle ran into 8 people last week!

The situation in US politics is simply untenable, in fact it is simply BS.

• Like 1

just wondering whether the shooter had a prescription drug problem related to his alleged mental health problem, and how a consequent addiction would have impacted his judgement.

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Australia has recently started a computerized medication database, requiring proof of ID to get drugs ( I suppose it stops people getting prescriptions from multiple doctors)

if people are on anti depressants or any other drugs in an attempt to maintain mental stability, this can be seen

given this, it would be easy to take the next step, and regulate to prevent gun ownership by mentally unstable people.

yes... true...it does not stop illegal ownership, but perhaps it’s a foothold worth establishing, which would not deny responsible owners their civil liberties and rights.... as I think most people don’t have a problem with responsible ownership (it’s the crazies ya gotta watch)

of course, I have no idea if such medical record correlation exists in the US... just spit balling, as they say... and perhaps a small step worth taking to please and appease.

Not an American citizen, but from my reading some US States do not even comply to even basic requirements to register the mentally ill on a national database for assessment of a gun licence. Apparently there are many loopholes within the US Federal and State level interaction which currently makes it near impossible to enact meaningful legislation for gun licensing.

Trump is the outcome of the 'idiocracy' - Definition: a form of government in which a country or territory is run by fools. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

It wasn't that long ago that Republicans and NRA shot down reasonable restriction on gun ownership by mentally ill. This is squarely on them, not Americans in general who do support reasonable gun control

Post #26 touched on this.

H.J. Res 40 became law on Feb. 28 with Trump's signature.

It rescinded a Social Security Administration rule requiring the agency to report to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System disability applicants unable to manage their finances due to a mental disorder. Trump opposed the rule because it “could endanger the Second Amendment rights of law abiding citizens.”

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/trump-nixed-gun-control-rule/

Perhaps unknown to Trump (who knows all the best words), the rule included a method for affected individuals to petition for the ability to obtain a gun, provided they could demonstrate that they posed no threat to the public.

In any case guns kill, not mental illness.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Is there any evidence of mental illness or is Trump shooting from the hip again?

I thought the same, is Trump qualified to give mental-illness assessments ?

One could argue that all the terrorists have been mentally ill, therefore no point in blocking people from certain countries or religions because its a mental health issue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Not an American citizen, but from my reading some US States do not even comply to even basic requirements to register the mentally ill on a national database for assessment of a gun licence. Apparently there are many loopholes within the US Federal and State level interaction which currently makes it near impossible to enact meaningful legislation for gun licensing.

Trump is the outcome of the 'idiocracy' - Definition: a form of government in which a country or territory is run by fools. 

That’s a pity.... but obviously there are some starting points, if the US peoples want to get on top of this, although they may need to be both creative and determined.

step one... close the barn door

step two... much harder, and up to them, I suppose

lol... idiocracy... love it!

5 hours ago, juice777 said:

I will tell the Truth I haven't even read anything about this story yet. But I know he is white because there is no one calling him a Terrorist.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Your point is?

To put everything in perspective, number of traffic deaths in the US in the year 2016, one hundred and two (102) PER DAY.

And rising!

Now, isn't it high time to do something about that?

New restrictive traffic laws, tests every three months of mental and bodily health, strict laws handling about buying and possessing cars, trucks and vans, and so on and so forth.

I always thought the biggest problem should be handled first.

I do wonder, however, why people don't want to do something about traffic deaths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Phew that's OK then.. Now we just need to test the 10 million gun owners for mental issues and everything will be sweet

You test more people that that to see if they are ready to get their high school diploma or college degree.  

You test more people than that to see if they know the rules and have the skills to own and drive a vehicle on the streets and highways... 

But in this case... it was ALREADY known he had mental health issues...  and had previously assaulted his wife and child and also received a dis-honorable discharge from the armed forces. 

Oh... by the way... did you notice it was law abiding private citizen with his own firearm that opened fire on the shooter making him drop his weapon and run ? ? 

• Like 1

Your point is?

If he has brown skin they are terrorists and Old Trumpy boy tries to ban musslims coming into the country instead of baning guns. If he a white man he's got mental issues. And there no mention of a Terrorist attack. so I suppose now he will have to ban anyone with slight mental health issues, which the Who says is 1 in 4.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Gun makers own most of Republican senators. They have so much power. 

Gun is business of dangerous people. Of course I'm not talking about gun shops.

No one can control this business. 

"Buy more guns if you need security" 

They even suggested teachers to carry guns at schools for own and students protection since they can not control this business. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jools said:

Logic like this is an insult to victims of guns. The mentally ill have no business buying guns. We have seen where that leades.

It will lead nowhere. Numerous previous episodes prove this. The NRA rules supreme in the USA. 

• Thanks 1