U.S. comedian Louis C.K. admits and apologises for sexual misconduct

rooster59

U.S. comedian Louis C.K. admits and apologises for sexual misconduct

By Jill Serjeant and Piya Sinha-Roy

640x640 (2).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Cast members Pamela Adlon and Louis C.K. participate in the "Louie" panel at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Winter Press Tour in Pasadena, California, U.S., January 18, 2015. REUTERS/David McNew/File Photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. comedian Louis C.K. said on Friday that allegations against him by several women of sexual misconduct are true and apologised for his actions.

"These stories are true," he said in a statement emailed to Reuters and other news outlets.

Five women detailed sexual misconduct allegations against the Emmy-winning comedian in a New York Times report published on Thursday, including three women who said he had masturbated in front of them. The allegations dated back 15 years.

C.K released his statement after his upcoming film "I Love You Daddy" was scrapped for release on Friday, and Netflix Inc cancelled a planned special with the comedian because of the allegations.

"I have been remorseful of my actions. And I've tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I’m aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves " his statement added.

The comedian had previously declined comment on the New York Times story.

He is the latest celebrity in the entertainment business to be accused of sexual misconduct by people coming forward in the wake of allegations against movie producer Harvey Weinstein and actor Kevin Spacey.

C.K., 50, said he had "spent my long and lucky career talking and saying anything I want. I will now step back and take a long time to listen." He did not make clear how long he would be stepping back for.

The comedian, best known for his TV comedy series "Louie," acknowledged he had misused used his power over the women, who were in the early stage of their careers at the time.

Two of the women in the New York Times article, comedians Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov, said C.K. had invited them to his hotel room after a comedy festival in Aspen, Colorado, in 2002 and then masturbated in front of them.

"The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly," C.K. said.

Wolov and Goodman could not immediately be reached by Reuters for comment on Friday.

Netflix said earlier that what it called C.K's "unprofessional and inappropriate behaviour with female colleagues" had led the streaming service to decide not to produce a planned second stand-up special with him.

Film distributor The Orchard said it would not be moving forward with the release next week of "I Love You, Daddy." The movie was written and directed by C.K. and he also appears in the film as the father of a 17-year-old girl who has a romance with a 68-year-old filmmaker.

Time Warner Inc's HBO said on Thursday that C.K.'s past projects with the network, including 2006's "Lucky Louie" series, would be removed from its on-demand services and that the comedian would no longer participate in its Nov. 18 televised "Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never really understood this guy's appeal. His act isn't very funny and most of it to be honest is pretty pervy. That said, it is refreshing that at least one of these perverted <deleted> has admitted to his sins. I read his mea culpa and I thought it was self damning, comprehensive and thoughtful. That said, something really ought to happen beyond just showing remorse for one's actions.

I see some posters don't find him funny; I have always found his comedy hilarious. Who can define what is funny and what isn't? The eye of the beholder...

Kudos to Louis CK for coming out and admitting it without the BS. I hope that he gets some help and gets back in the game soon.

And a word for all the others who haven't come forward yet; society has its teeth into this and all will come out now.

Better to be upfront and deal with it. Those who continue to hide will pay a price.... 

Edited by Samui Bodoh

Astounding!!... you mean girls actually sleep with men to get a role in a movie ?....shocking really !!!....On your mark...get set....gooo!!... for the latest trendy witchhunt!!

Clearly you have just jumped on too as if you read this report it has nothing to do with women sleeping with him for roles.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Somewhere along the line, a group of American puritans is going to have to sit down and list the exact parameters for what constitutes "inappropriate conduct" ! I gave up my seat to an aging and overweight black lady on the New York subway one time, and she started screaming at me "What do you want" ? The world, at least the American part of it, is going mad !

So, when are all the ladies that worked as secretaries back in the 1970's going to sue their old bosses for sexual assault for a pat on the bum?

From today's vantage point, of course, it's "inappropriate" behaviour. From the perspective of the 70's, it was innocent and not meant with any bad motivation.

By today's standards, I was also sexually abused as a teenager, it was considered just a risk of growing up, along with being beaten by the local bully, or, getting turned out of a pub for being under-age. When it happened, we laughed and there was certainly no "emotional damage".

How is being sexually harassed worth 32 million dollars? More money than 20 people can earn in a lifetime.

Agreed that sexual harassment should end, but, where are the lines drawn; both in act and time?

If i was an hbo subscriber, i'd want a refund. I find Louie's act funny. What he does irl is irrelevant.

If Hitler had been an amazing impressionist painter, i'd still might want to see his art, even though i'm against all that he as a person stood for.

If Louie was guilty of DUI (a worse crime than this) they wouldn't cancel his show. At any rate, to punish customers by limiting their choices for the actions of actors doesn't seem right.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I never really understood this guy's appeal. His act isn't very funny and most of it to be honest is pretty pervy. That said, it is refreshing that at least one of these perverted <deleted> has admitted to his sins. I read his mea culpa and I thought it was self damning, comprehensive and thoughtful. That said, something really ought to happen beyond just showing remorse for one's actions.

Louis Ck "pretty pervy"?? 5555555555!. Now that was funny.

For the record Louis CK is one of the most (if not the most) popular comedians in the US and he regularly performs to sold out theaters so I guess most people disagree with you, just like most disagree with your defense of the man-child.

Just sayin'.

1 minute ago, Becker said:

Louis Ck "pretty pervy"?? 5555555555!. Now that was funny.

For the record Louis CK is one of the most (if not the most) popular comedians in the US and he regularly performs to sold out theaters so I guess most people disagree with you, just like most disagree with your defense of the man-child.

Just sayin'.

Coupl'a things. Yeah, I think his act is pretty pervy. Even the guy that posted after me that thinks he's a comedic genius thinks his act is pretty pervy. The fact that his act is popular in no way indicates that other people don't think his act is pervy, but it does indicate something. I'll let you figure out for yourself what that may be. Finally, if by "man-child" you are referring to Trump, let me say I have never once defended him. I have disliked him for almost 30 years.

I see some posters don't find him funny; I have always found his comedy hilarious. Who can define what is funny and what isn't? The eye of the beholder...

Kudos to Louis CK for coming out and admitting it without the BS. I hope that he gets some help and gets back in the game soon.

And a word for all the others who haven't come forward yet; society has its teeth into this and all will come out now.

Better to be upfront and deal with it. Those who continue to hide will pay a price.... 

He doesnt need help, he needs to do some time.

What he did is a fairly serious criminal offence. Exposing himself and jerking off likely terrified his victims who probably thought rape was on the agenda.

Being a celeb or claiming to be getting help does not absolve him.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

I don't mind if this current witch hunt pins down some actual bad guys, but somehow I think there are millions of grey area incidents that happen daily, certainly in the wee hours, that will become open doors for more persecution. It's pretty hard to tell sometimes when you cross a line with someone else. At least it was for me in my party years. It would be pretty bad to find out 30 years later it wasn't mutual fun.

Funny isn't it, if a sexual predator is a popular celebrity or a politician of the side we favor, then we tend to give them a free pass. Now consider if it was your daughter being pressured to be sodomized just to get a spot she well deserved and had worked for, would you be thinking what a great guy?

Bit distressing to see truly talented people being so messed up.

And the out of control social media court system that applies mob justice.

Kevin Spacey has been written out of that netflix show to appease the SJWs...how the hell do

you do house of cards without spacey? Aaaaarghhhhh....I won't be watching that crap no more.

Louie has always made jokes about jackin off but doing in front of women shows no self esteem.

Please god, let larry david be clean...i couldn't handle it if we lost him to some PC BS.

Edited by JHolmesJr

47 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

He doesnt need help, he needs to do some time.

What he did is a fairly serious criminal offence. Exposing himself and jerking off likely terrified his victims who probably thought rape was on the agenda.

Being a celeb or claiming to be getting help does not absolve him.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

"fairly serious", "likely", "probably" - you make a very unconvincing case.

Actually, he admitted to all of those things. Against lawyer's advice I am sure.

He didn't admit to thinking rape was on the agenda or to terrifying the women who were laughing and remained in the room until after he had ejaculated.

Apalling behaviour but not, in my view, criminal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He didn't admit to thinking rape was on the agenda or to terrifying the women who were laughing and remained in the room until after he had ejaculated.

Apalling behaviour but not, in my view, criminal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He didn't admit to his own state of mind but he did speak of the state of mind that might have manifested in the women.

Anyway, the whole mea culpa statement is included in the body of this article. Make of it what you will.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/arts/television/louis-ck-statement.html

Edited by lannarebirth

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

From today's vantage point, of course, it's "inappropriate" behaviour. From the perspective of the 70's, it was innocent and not meant with any bad motivation.

The behaviour in the 70's was same inappropriate as it is today, the only difference is that at that time nobody dared to complain.

If all he did was to masturbate in front of 2 women in 2002, I find the response by Netflix pretty strict. Lets cancel all your shows because you misbehaved once.

If they continue like this there will be no more shows left to watch.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

The behaviour in the 70's was same inappropriate as it is today, the only difference is that at that time nobody dared to complain.

Well precisely.  This behaviour was as unpleasant to women then as it is now.  

It didn't suddenly become unpleasant and overbearing in the last 10 years, after formerly being a lot of fun and just what woman always wanted when they found themselves alone in a room with some weird guy who can fire or hire them.

It is just being able to say that you hate it and it makes your life worse having to repeatedly encounter and cope with this behaviour that has changed over the last decades.  Who knows how these social changes occur and exactly what triggers them?

I must say I find simply having a watch thrust under my nose by the same Burmese guy saying "Rollix! Rollix!" every day for the past year unbearably annoying, so god knows what women feel like when every mad sod they meet gets their cock out and has a leering wank.  What a life.