So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I've never encountered it either, they all marry up.

Briffault's Law, females control access to sex, where no benefit to the female is available, no relationship will exist.

My scenario: Guy and girl have been married ten years with two kids, he loses his job due to downsizing, she continues to work to support the family she loves.

Your scenario: Girl abandons husband and kids because she got a better offer.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have no hesitation to returning to Blighty.

In fact, that's the goal - to return with a big stack of cash I've been able to earn and save while living here.

Don't care much about weather - London can be gorgeous in the Spring and Summer especially with a nice two-seat convertible to open up on the A40 on a balmy Sunday evening with the tunes turned UP :biggrin:

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Before you put me on ignore or nut me... what on earth is a Full Moon Wine cooler ? is it cheaper than gasoline and will the car run on it ?

Always buy 'dark' cos it's 7.5%, the  other flavours are only 5%

full moon.jpg

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Before you put me on ignore or nut me... what on earth is a Full Moon Wine cooler ? is it cheaper than gasoline and will the car run on it ?

I think it may be the staple drink of werewolves.

37 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You're wet from getting there, and you'll have a problem driving home. Not to mention 5 quid a drink.

Sitting on my sofa, windows wide open and 2x 3x Full Moon wine coolers at 30bht each.

Not to mention I can put you on ignore, while the guys in the pub will nut me.

Pork steak (35bht) in the fridge, chips in the chest freezer, HP sauce on the table.

Can life get any better?

Replace Full Moon with wine?

9 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

I'd have no hesitation to returning to Blighty.

In fact, that's the goal - to return with a big stack of cash I've been able to earn and save while living here.

Don't care much about weather - London can be gorgeous in the Spring and Summer especially with a nice two-seat convertible to open up on the A40 on a balmy Sunday evening with the tunes turned UP :biggrin:

A balmy Sunday evening in UK. I reckon on average maybe 7 balmy evenings per year, that leaves just 1 if you are lucky

1 }I think the main reasons ex pats stay and won't leave Thailand is they can't afford to live in there home country. 

2} i and the mrs own our own home in Buriram free and clear all paid. never happen in America

3{ car and motorbike paid for no monthly payments. Never happen in America

4{ weather is always warm, i was born in Chicago winters too cold.

5{ I can have a wife 20 years younger than me and nobody acts like i'm robbing the craddle

6{ Thai women are the most beautiful in the world and they really take care of there men

7{ what a great life

9 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Replace Full Moon with wine?

Back in the UK it would have been 2 joints, Cinzano (cheap Tesco own brand) and lemonade at home , then stagger down the pub for a cider and another joint in the smoking hut out back. I loved that smoking ban, the weed that circulated in the hut was beyond belief.

Food, 10 quid for a pie and chips, drink, 5 quid a pint (I'll have a Rattler) ........... so  eat at home.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

1 }I think the main reasons ex pats stay and won't leave Thailand is they can't afford to live in there home country. 

2} i and the mrs own our own home in Buriram free and clear all paid. never happen in America

3{ car and motorbike paid for no monthly payments. Never happen in America

4{ weather is always warm, i was born in Chicago winters too cold.

5{ I can have a wife 20 years younger than me and nobody acts like i'm robbing the craddle

6{ Thai women are the most beautiful in the world and they really take care of there men

7{ what a great life

Much truth there, but a few clarifications....

1. I can't afford to live the lifestyle I live here in the UK.

2. You can't own a home in Buriram.... the missus owns the one in Buriram that  I paid for.

3-7..... spot on.. :smile:

On 11/14/2017 at 1:01 PM, transam said:

Must confess that if I had not lost everything via a messy divorce and a medical prob made worse by the UK climate l would still be there. ...But not in London...

I would be in Cornwall or the Isle of Wight....:stoner:

My whole family recently decamped to the IOW so took wifey to visit them last September.

I was really surprised to find that both of us could see ourselves living there and liking it. For the first time in 30 years the idea of living in the UK again actually looked appealing.

Having said that we really got lucky with the weather. 32 C degrees when we arrived and never dipped below 24 for our whole three week stay. Nice.

Ummm  What's wrong with my "home" country?

Nothing, to be honest.  A tad more expensive than here, but manageable;   a tad colder, but used to having four seasons, even if one of them was very cold;  my wife and I decided to move to TH for a combination of factors, not least of which was the fact that there was basically ONE season.  NO snow. No ice.  No sliding through and intersection instead of stopping.

Ignore all the rest of the potential reasons - that one was enough to bring us here.

I stated that I like 6 months Thailand / 6 months home country.

I should however specify that I concider Europe to be my home country.

10 weeks in Madeira, 2 weeks in Faro, 4 weeks in Norway, 2 weeks Napoli, and in between flights: Belgium. The money we save by living very cheap in Thailand finances our travels in Europe.

In Thailand we do not travel: I very much like where we live (in a fruit garden at the edge of the jungle), but all of Thailand and neighbouring countries looks same same to me, why travel?

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

but all of Thailand and neighbouring countries looks same same to me, why travel?

There's some good stuff in China, and the return flight from Chiang Mai is around 100-150 quid ...... so why not travel?

(I just paid 4,500bht return)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

There's some good stuff in China, and the return flight from Chiang Mai is around 100-150 quid ...... so why not travel?

<snip>

Because travel sucks... and I did my time in China 20 to 30 years ago.

10 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

(I just paid 4,500bht return)

Was that direct, or do you have to go down to Bangkok first?

The weather is definitely too cold. Too many people who weren't born in this country seem to have a better life than an ordinary factory worker.

Apartments, food, clothes, etc..way too expensive these days. I couldn't afford it to buy a car, not even a freaking scooter, and many friends have already passed. 

A job that would satisfy me is hard to get, even with the right qualifications, because I'm too old. That's what they say.

But I can't take my family with me, because I don't get a job.

Finally. the place of my funeral is already chosen and it won't be too expensive to leave.

No fake newspapers in my pillow, nor will my body be stuffed out with artificialials that I look better in a box.

I'll go the way I am. Well, or was. 

Just now, bazza73 said:

Was that direct, or do you have to go down to Bangkok first?

Direct AirAsia CNX to CSX, prices have been as low as 1,100bht per flight in the past 2 months.

Cheaper than flying to Krabi. Not much good if your American though VISA 4,500bht, everyone else 1,100bht.

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

(I just paid 110 quid return)

To be honest, I am not really interested in Asia.

As I said, I love our 3 rai garden in Chanthaburi, no tourists, great sea food, abundant fruit and flowers, quiet beaches nearby, European food I'll eat in Europe, same for good wine and real beer. I even managed to chase away my wife's lazy son who had given up his job in BKK to come to Eldorado, and when she's not hysterical, I have a great time with my wife.

Every year I  look forward to travel to Europe, and next I look forward to return to our garden in Thailand.

I do not feel connected emotionally to any country in the world.

But yes I was lucky to be born / to have earned my money in Belgium.

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

The weather is definitely too cold. Too many people who weren't born in this country seem to have a better life than an ordinary factory worker.

Apartments, food, clothes, etc..way too expensive these days. I couldn't afford it to buy a car, not even a freaking scooter, and many friends have already passed. 

A job that would satisfy me is hard to get, even with the right qualifications, because I'm too old. That's what they say.

But I can't take my family with me, because I don't get a job.

Finally. the place of my funeral is already chosen and it won't be too expensive to leave.

No fake newspapers in my pillow, nor will my body be stuffed out with artificialials that I look better in a box.

I'll go the way I am. Well, or was. 

Every morning, just about waking up, I move my elbows sideways to check I'm not in a box.

22 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

That's the crux of it. Christianity in the 21st century (along with most other religions) is tolerant and optional. That optionality gives people the freedom to leave if they choose. Hence the balance shifting all across Europe.

Christianity, as practiced in the US, can be mostly intolerant. Look at the Republican party and the evangelist idiots.

The grass is always greener - NOT.

At one time I loved my country England, was a proud patriot and could never imagined wanting to live in another country and giving it all up there. But later I began to feel disenchanted with my country, young thugs claiming the streets as their own, weak laws to protect us and above all my country became overwhelmed by immigrants and foreigners seeing my culture and way of life eroded and then imposed by law to be tolerant and accept it.

So several years ago I met a woman in Thailand and decided to settle here believing I`d have a better lifestyle. At first thought I had found my utopia but today I feel like a third rate citizen in Thailand, only of course they`ll never let me become a citizen, kept under the thumb of the Thais. My own country has gone to pot, but also Thailand is not all it`s hyped up to be, especially for foreigners.