Bob Geldof calls Aung San Suu Kyi 'handmaiden to genocide'

webfact

40 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Bob geldolf has no idea about the problems of Burma. 

The international community is trying to force the burmese to accept them, simply because nobody else wants the head ache. The bengali do not want to integrate, they want a seperate muslim state. They attacked first. Aug sang should dig her heels in now and don't let this opportunity pass. Like Australia has done. 

Yes Aboriginal Australia had some problems with migrants who failed to integrate and demanded their own state.

The Rohingya have been there for centuries. There are many different ethnic and religious groups in Burma. Presumably by integrate you mean you want them to change their religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_Myanmar

Ethnic and religious and language groups especially in a country such as Burma with poor infrastructure tend to remain in the same geographic regions... take Thai ethnic groups (and Thailand is far more developed). That they should want some degree of autonomy and respect for their local culture and religion is natural.

Edited by dexterm

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Who listens to anything Geldof says ,just another tax avoiding ,luvvie millionaire ,who was famous as a pop star once ,but faded into obscurity until he found the "charity" bandwagon .

I saw Geldof perform before he got famous, and I can tell you one thing, the guy has some big ego. Anything Geldof does has Geldof at its root, not other people, IMHO, including getting vicarious fame by slagging off Sun Kyi.

3 hours ago, dexterm said:

Nonsense Islamophobia.

Burma consists of many ethnic groups and religions who have lived in Burma over centuries.

36 minutes ago, dexterm said:

The Rohingya have been there for centuries.

Yeah, I know, some Rohingya claim ancestry going back to the 15th century or something, but that's not the point, most of the current lot arrived relatively recently.

3 hours ago, opalred said:

... how would they like a million Muslims walk into there country over the years without visas ... .

And there you have the nub of the problem - millions of cheap Bengali labourers imported by the British during the colonial era.

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh just a few trivial things.

-- Ethnic cleansing

-- Genocide

And over the period of a few years, the Queen of Liberty and Democracy becomes an ethnic hater?  I'm only pointing out that simplistic narratives tailored for public consumption tend to radically change if that narrative suddenly fails to meet foreign policy objectives.  You either get it because you've been ITS, or you don't.  Most don't.

40 minutes ago, nausea said:

I saw Geldof perform before he got famous, and I can tell you one thing, the guy has some big ego. Anything Geldof does has Geldof at its root, not other people, IMHO, including getting vicarious fame by slagging off Sun Kyi.

Yeah, I know, some Rohingya claim ancestry going back to the 15th century or something, but that's not the point, most of the current lot arrived relatively recently.

And there you have the nub of the problem - millions of cheap Bengali labourers imported by the British during the colonial era.

Links to some of your assertions would be useful. Otherwise they are just your fantasy, as is your shoot the messenger put down of Bob Geldorf.

"There were an estimated 1 million Rohingya living in Myanmar before the 2016–17 crisis"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people

And they comprised 3.5% of the population. 

Since 624,000 have now been ethnically cleansed without Sui Kyi uttering a syllable in protest against this genocide by the same military government that oppose(d) her, that figure would now be about 1.3% of the entire Burmese population...hardly a takeover bid.

And the only reason you take any interest in this thread at all is because you are an Islamophobe.

And I find all racists despicable and mentally ill.

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

He doesn't seem to say anything about the genocide of Christians in Egypt. 

Ah, well. You have to remain PC to be able to milk the charity bandwagon now.

Know which causes are "fashionable" and which aren't.

He's a tosser so I'm sure Dublin couldn't care less.

38 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Ah, well. You have to remain PC to be able to milk the charity bandwagon now.

Know which causes are "fashionable" and which aren't.

He's a tosser so I'm sure Dublin couldn't care less.

Dublin was raped by vikings only a bit over 1000 years ago so he could start there. 

Under house arrest, life might have been hard for Aung San Suu Kyi but politically it was easy as far as the West was concerned. Bad= junta, good freedom lover= Aung San.

Unfortunately when it turned out the vast majority of her voter base supported the ethnic cleansing and wholesale murder of the Rohingya  she was truly stuck. Speaking out against their slaughter could be akin to political suicide so silence is her choice.

On the other hand some will argue a true statesman will speak out whatever the cost to him or her.

Once upon a time she had the guts to stand up to the army when she insisted on her car rally to the provinces. She could have been shot. Has she the guts to stand up to her own people now and tell them murder is wrong?

In the meantime on a lighter note, here is an interview that didn't end too well when whispering Bob Harris interviewed Sir Bob.

Edited by bannork

Divide and  conquer !  A  strategy that  has  been  applied  in so many ways so  many times.

The effect  of  inconsistent  convenient  propaganda  is  empowering  to  those  who  inflict  it  at   any one  time  or  in  any one  event.

The  desired  result is an  empowering  minority.

Diffidence  is  the   resort  of  the majority.

The  end  result  is   genocide from   one  direction  or  the  other.

8 hours ago, billy54 said:

I dont recall ,him standing up and mouthing off about them (  Rohingya Muslim 's) slaying the buddhist's who's home country it is ,strange that , 

The Rohingya are also living in their traditional homeland, in a country now called Burma/Myanmar.

There have been foul acts carried out by Rohingya in their homeland, however these do not justify the Genocide Bob is protesting.

Edited by Bluespunk

8 hours ago, Rancid said:

There is a lot of conflicting information coming out of Burma, not sure what the real story is. Do seem to recall though a false flag to get the West to support Muslim in Bosnia, hopefully we aren't going down that path right on Thailand's border.

A false flag in Bosnia?

What false flag?

Are you saying that the well documented reports on ethnic cleansing atrocities carried out by Serb forces are not true?

7 hours ago, opalred said:

you have to laugh at these do gooders 

how would they like a million Muslims walk into there country over the years without visas 

build there own towns and start farming

then say we own this country ?

The Rohingya are living in their own country and have been recorded as doing so since 1789.

This 'Irish man' is a damn hippocrite (spelling). here he is accepting his title as Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire from the British queen and then preaches to this woman about genocide. The British empire is responsible for mass genocide all over the globe in its past.

Dublin City,  its representatives and the Irish people have continuously said that the troubles in Burma are unacceptable and they condemn them at every opportunity.

This tit Geldof is another Bono (U2) who funnels his ill gotten gains out of Ireland to avoid taxes that the common man has to pay.

They are both a disgrace to Ireland and its people.

3 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

this is worth a read as it gives a different perspective to the mainstream media version

http://www.gearoidocolmain.org/rohingya-psyops-us-covert-war-myanmar/

Not a balanced or paranoid free one though. 

Oh, and it really wasn’t worth the time I spent reading it. 

Edited by Bluespunk

7 minutes ago, blazes said:

Yes, I remember it well....uprooted from their ancestral homes in Paris...

So why dont you pick on any of the other 135 ethnic groups that live in Burma.

..for no other reason than the Rohingya are Muslims and you are a racist Islamophobe.

Edited by dexterm

4 minutes ago, dexterm said:

..for no other reason than the Rohingya are Muslims and you are a racist Islamophobe.

Dear Justin Trudeau (or are you Angela Merkel?):

May I point out that Islam is a religion, not a race.  So, please omit the adjective "racist" and I will gladly accept the playground abuse of "Islamophobe" ( and will remain proudly the latter until the day I hear that Christian churches are being built in Saudi Arabia....)

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

Dear Justin Trudeau (or are you Angela Merkel?):

May I point out that Islam is a religion, not a race.  So, please omit the adjective "racist" and I will gladly accept the playground abuse of "Islamophobe" ( and will remain proudly the latter until the day I hear that Christian churches are being built in Saudi Arabia....)

So now you are trying to appear intelligent by hiding behind the pedantic nitpicking over the terminology racist/religionist..you are probably both.

And deflecting to the off topic subject of Saudi Arabia, which only goes to demonstrate your true colors. Thank you.

Surely this is a different Bob Geldof to the one who cosied up to Ethiopian dictator Mengistu and, against sage advice, handed the Live Aid money over to him. Money which was then spent on making Mengistu's army the best equipped in Africa (as said sage people had advised Geldof would happen). And Mengistu then put that army to work ramping up his country's civil war, with all the death and mayhem that followed.

Every time I see Geldof pontificating, I want to throw up.

20 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

For once I have to agree with him   :shock1:

We all had such high hopes for Burma and this woman many years ago and now it seems unfounded.

A report on Sky News only yesterday on the Rohingyas even got to me!