Reporting Overstay

I am not usually one for causing anyone trouble. However my wife's Ex(farang) is trying to make her life a misery, and stalking her. We have been to the Police and Lawyers, and also through my work, but it seems that it is not taken seriously. I know for a fact that he is here on overstay for more than 1 year. Can I drop in at immigration with his details(I have everything), and let them kick him out of Thailand and out of my wife's life? Anyone ever done this before? As I say I hate to drop anyone in the $#!t, but he is being really nasty. Thanks

Have you tried telling the guy that you are aware of his immigration status, and will use that against him if he does not leave your wife alone? He may be mentally unstable, so you need to judge the risks involved in threatening him. I wish you luck. Stalkers can be dangerous, and are always unsettling.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, champers said:

Don't have any fears about grassing someone up. If someone broke into your home and stole your property and you knew who it was, would you think twice about reporting them? This man is breaking the law, the police won't help, so go to Immigration.

Thanks Champers, my only concern is that immigration take a quick bribe from him and then he gets mad. I am not scared of him myself, but I can't be with my wife 24/7 as we both work

12 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Thanks Champers, my only concern is that immigration take a quick bribe from him and then he gets mad. I am not scared of him myself, but I can't be with my wife 24/7 as we both work

Once immigration decide to act in a case like this, any bribe would need to be substantial. Most people on long overstays do not have the kind of money that would be needed to avoid arrest and deportation. It is especially expensive once he is facing arrest, and not quietly fixing things before his circumstances are discovered.  Have you any reason to believe he has US$5,000+ available to grease palms to have his overstay go away?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Once immigration decide to act in a case like this, any bribe would need to be substantial. Most people on long overstays do not have the kind of money that would be needed to avoid arrest and deportation. It is especially expensive once he is facing arrest, and not quietly fixing things before his circumstances are discovered.  Have you any reason to believe he has US$5,000+ available to grease palms to have his overstay go away?

Nope! For sure he doesn't have that cash to hand! Thanks

People who stalk are mentally unstable, therefore unpredictable. Best to act sooner rather than later. Your duty is to protect your wife and prevention is better than reaction.

Update us on what happens.

The UK Immigration have a hotline for reporting over stayers. But I know for a fact that they don't always actually act on reported violators. I think the Thai authorities, especially at this moment in time, might be more proactive.

• Like 1

dogfish180 just do it.

By some, 'grassing' people up is looked down upon but if it is as you say it is & I were in your shoes I would have no hesitation in doing so.

I suggest doing it immediately and only do so with a senior immigration officer, the most senior available to you.

My only concern would be him continuing the harassment after his deportation or trying to 'get even' with you.

If you can limit his harassment from overseas and have nothing to hide, get on with it mate and good luck.

Hope he is not a TV member, reading this thread and realizing it's him we are discussing ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

Tim, Yes I have thought of it, but my fear is that if I show my hand he will do something very bad before I have a chance to react. Personally I would rather he was sent home and band from returning to Thailand for 3 years(by which time he will have found a new direction!). Given that he has broken the law and is constantly upsetting my wife my sympathy is waning. I guess my question is, "what are my chances of immigration actually acting on it?"

Chances are better of them acting on it if you ask them, ( looks like you've tried  the decent approach to no avail with circumstances and potential outcomes for everyone involved that are less desirable than the worst that should happen from the overstay).

• Like 1

OP - i don't have any relevant experience on this.  just thinking what i might do in this case.  not sure how much you know about his regular schedule, favorite places to go, etc...  but i'd consider paying an immigration officer to spend some time try to catch him at a place other than his home (or as he is leaving his home).  that way he might not think he got turned in.  i say pay the immigration officer as they may want to do it the easiest way for them, a simple house visit.  instead, an officer could keep watch for a few hours at one his favorite places a couple times a week before he is caught (money would motivate them to do that).  good luck.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

If you drop the dime on him, will he necessarily know it was you?  If he's doing you this way, I'm guessing his social skills aren't that winning generally and he might have a "fan club"...   Could he be sure it wasn't, say, your wife's family behind it?   (Or maybe you could even GET your wife's family behind it.)   Frankly, I think the better way is to confront him directly and then act if he doesn't bugger off, but if you're feeling intimidated, I'm not so sure you actually have to go face-to-face with him.   Surely he realizes that his immigration status is in play.

DO, however, be 100% CERTAIN that what you're saying about his being on a long overstay is true!   And you need to be equally sure of what you're saying about his financial status (that is, that he isn't in a position to buy his way out).

Since you've already been talking to police and lawyers, I have a question:  Is there such a thing as a technical restraining order in Thailand?    In issuing one, or even deliberating over one, his immigration status would probably be inspected automatically and you might not even have to be the one to bring it up.

• Thanks 1

Grass him up anonymously, or get your lawyer to do it. How can he be sure that you informed on him, and immigration didn't find him some other way, like a 'routine' search of the area? I wouldn't tell him in advance - that's asking for trouble that may come back to haunt you if he returns to Thailand after his overstay ban.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gamini said:

It wouldn't trouble me in the slightest reporting overstayers, because of them it makes things harder for genuine expats

If that were true, why not just reward the foreigners who do constantly follow the rules? The ones who have all their paperwork ready and don't break any laws nor bother people. Every year I renew my work permit, and I go through the same hoops. I'm prepared, polite, have an impeccable record, yet zero reward or breaks. 

As for the poster - report this person asap. I know a guy on overstay, and I have zero interest in reporting him. That's his business and the business of immigration. If the guy would start to threaten me, or heaven forbid my missus, that's it. I'd be reporting him.

If you're on overstay then keep a low profile. It's common sense. 

30 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If that were true, why not just reward the foreigners who do constantly follow the rules? The ones who have all their paperwork ready and don't break any laws nor bother people. Every year I renew my work permit, and I go through the same hoops. I'm prepared, polite, have an impeccable record, yet zero reward or breaks. 

As for the poster - report this person asap. I know a guy on overstay, and I have zero interest in reporting him. That's his business and the business of immigration. If the guy would start to threaten me, or heaven forbid my missus, that's it. I'd be reporting him.

If you're on overstay then keep a low profile. It's common sense. 

Ditto..............live & let live --------- until it affects me or my home, then, War has been declared, and I fight dirty.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

It wouldn't trouble me in the slightest reporting overstayers, because of them it makes things harder for genuine expats

I think you may have missed the OP's point. It's not the overstay as such that is an issue but may be one tool in the war chest to resolve his main problem. Of course there are other options such as gentlemen in bright vests who ride motorcycles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you explain (i) he is on a long overstay; (ii) he is engaging in aggressive activities (stalking your wife); and (iii) you can tell them exactly where to find him (making their job easy) the chances are good that they will act. Make sure you get to speak to a senior immigration official who has the power to act on his own initiative.

Agree, and probably worth some 'detective' work to find the name and contact details of a senior Immigration officer. On their website there is probably an organization chart with positions and incumbents. 

Actually I admire your desire to protect your wife.

Good luck. 

Edited by scorecard

38 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, and probably worth some 'detective' work to find the name and contact details of a senior Immigration officer. On their website there is probably an organization chart with positions and incumbents. 

Actually I admire your desire to protect your wife.

Good luck. 

Thanks to all.... I have the immigration officers details and am meeting with him on Friday after work. So fingers crossed the problem will be solved by the weekend! I will post an update. Cheers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

If your wife is Thai, let her contact immigration, they will act quicker when a Thai complains.

23 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Thanks to all.... I have the immigration officers details and am meeting with him on Friday after work. So fingers crossed the problem will be solved by the weekend! I will post an update. Cheers

Good luck! Dress smartly. Be extremely courteous when dealing with a senior official, and state your concern that the guy, besides being on overstay, is a serious risk for committing a violent crime. Agree with anything the official says (however outlandish) and try to find a way to argue your case that does not conflict with anything he says.

• Thanks 1

According to you

He is in overstay.

You inform him about this.

Problem your wife know this too.

So change she goes after him.

More interesting is to know if you are married under Thai law.

If so you can use the section to compensate your financial losses.

The end game will bring the same out come.

You wife lost interest in you because she is interested in the man

If she not can have this man the chances are huge that she will find another.

Did you ever thought about this?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

You mean your wife is meeting with the immigration guy on Friday?

You are meeting him after his work? So not any sort of official and witnessed lodging of the complaint at his office?

Not sure if the OP or his wife really did much more than file a complaint with the local cops but for the most part, the local cops need an 'incentive' to do anything much beyond making notes in a big case book.

If paying the regular cops didn't seem like an option for them to scare the bejezus out of the alleged stalker, I am pretty sure that the after-hours immigration cop may be seeking some reward.