Reporting Overstay

On 11/15/2017 at 11:36 AM, buick said:

OP - i don't have any relevant experience on this.  just thinking what i might do in this case.  not sure how much you know about his regular schedule, favorite places to go, etc...  but i'd consider paying an immigration officer to spend some time try to catch him at a place other than his home (or as he is leaving his home).  that way he might not think he got turned in.  i say pay the immigration officer as they may want to do it the easiest way for them, a simple house visit.  instead, an officer could keep watch for a few hours at one his favorite places a couple times a week before he is caught (money would motivate them to do that).  good luck.

Yep, I have a copy of his passport and visa. I also know that he has not left Thailand in 2 years, and has no job here, so very unlikely he has managed to renew his visa. I am meeting with a senior guy from immigration in the morning and have an envelope for him. I know where the guy lives and goes, so I can only hope that I have covered all my bases.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

Yep, I have a copy of his passport and visa. I also know that he has not left Thailand in 2 years, and has no job here, so very unlikely he has managed to renew his visa. I am meeting with a senior guy from immigration in the morning and have an envelope for him. I know where the guy lives and goes, so I can only hope that I have covered all my bases.

Do not offer the envelope unless the official hints about how it is a difficult case, or encourages you in some other way. Some officials will be deeply offended.

What you should do is send the official a nice, non monetary, present afterwards with a note thanking him for his assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dogfish180 said:

So- you're going to spill the beans on a guy for breaking the law, but at the same time YOU are going to break the law-? Classy!

I would have thought that the best thing would be for your Thai wife to report him- more likely then that an IO won't have his hand out. This could backfire severely on you in the long term.

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Nothing repeat nothing is worse than a grass.  Keep your nose out of others business. 

I must say, in the OP's shoes, I would regard someone who is probably mentally ill stalking my wife as worse. How would you feel if (unlikely though it might be) he ended up physically assaulting her, or worse? Should that happen, would you still avoid "grassing" on him, as that would be worse than him injuring or killing your wife?

In this situation, the OP is going to immigration to protect his wife. I am sure I would do the same in his position.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I must say, in the OP's shoes, I would regard someone who is probably mentally ill stalking my wife as worse. How would you feel if (unlikely though it might be) he ended up physically assaulting her, or worse? Should that happen, would you still avoid "grassing" on him, as that would be worse than him injuring or killing your wife?

In this situation, the OP is going to immigration to protect his wife. I am sure I would do the same in his position.

No I would sort it but never grass plus we only have the op's say so any of this is fact. How does one get a copy of someone's passport especially an EX of his now wife?. Has he been storming him following him around so he knows for an absolute fact he hasn't got a visa or extension of stay. More to this story in sure. 

But no I would not grass anyone out unless they were pedo's

21 hours ago, dogfish180 said:

When was the copy of the passport and visa made? Yesterday / three years ago?

Do you have a copy of every page of his passport? Or just the pages 'busy' pages when in fact a departure and arrival is stamped in much later pages of his passport.

Did he mention overstay without any probing or is he baiting you by saying 'overstay'? 

Are you sure he doesn't have a second passport? In some countries this is possible and quite legitimate.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

No I would sort it but never grass plus we only have the op's say so any of this is fact. How does one get a copy of someone's passport especially an EX of his now wife?. Has he been storming him following him around so he knows for an absolute fact he hasn't got a visa or extension of stay. More to this story in sure. 

But no I would not grass anyone out unless they were pedo's

Yes, there probably is a bit more to the story, but I think we have the core of the situation correctly described.

Quite likely, his wife was able to get a passport copy at the time when he was still legally in the country. She may well have been doing his 90-day reports, as well as supporting him financially. Part of what caused their break up might well have been the guy's indigent status. Someone in that situation, with no job, does not suddenly find money for border runs and overstay fines.

When someone is a stalker, you become pretty well aware of his movements. I suppose it could be possible that he somehow suddenly received an inheritance from a rich uncle who died suddenly, and used the money to escape from his overstay situation, but it is overwhelmingly more likely the OP's evaluation of the situation is spot on.

You say you "would sort it" without grassing on him. I am sure the OP would be delighted if you would explain how.

• Before you suggest hiring a 24-hour bodyguard for his wife, recognize that this is extremely expensive, and most cannot afford such a measure. Even those who can might find their moral objections against grassing waning when faced with an indefinite monthly US$20,000-30,000 bill for personal protection services.
  • If your approach would be to "teach him a lesson" by physically assaulting him, I think you need your head examined. First, this would put you on the wrong side of the law yourself. Second, you do not deter the mentally ill by such measures. You just increase their resentment, and ensure they are armed the next time you see them.
  • One approach that might work is to offer the guy an air ticket home, together with paying his 20,000 baht fine. Whether that would work depends on just how far gone the guy is. I am sure I would find it difficult to stomach such a solution in the OP's shoes.

Do let us know your solution.

• Like 2

I don't know how things are done elsewhere in Thailand, but here in Chiang Mai, a situation like this would have captured the attention of the police -- if the woman being harassed had been the one going to them with a credible story, especially with a lawyer.  A jealous, new boyfriend/husband, maybe not.  But, it's my understanding that every formal complaint filed with the police HAS to be investigated and the fact that the harasser was on overstay would have given the police just the excuse they needed to arrest him.

I've been involved in several cases like this in Chiang Mai through Lanna Care Net, but actually on behalf of the ex-boyfriend/husband who is an older mentally imbalanced/demented foreigner still trying to stay involved with his Thai ex- after she has moved on.  The man's Consulate/Embassy is always called by the police, with varying degrees of interest by the man's gov't depending upon the situation and we've always been able to work out a "managed deportation" whereby the man can avoid being hauled down to IDC in Bangkok, but instead is taken before a judge here in Chiang Mai, his 20,000 baht overstay fine is reduced, he is blacklisted and hustled out of the country on an international flight headed far away.  In some serious cases where the man can't travel, he's taken to a mental hospital or nursing home and carefully watched so he doesn't leave the facility. 

In all cases, the Thai ex- and her new husband/boyfriend are taken out of the equation and no longer bothered.  Also, the Thai ex- has to give up her access to the man's banking, credit cards, internet passwords, etc.  I assume the OP's ex- no longer has an access to any of the financial resources of the harasser, right?  You'd be surprised how many still do when you start to dig into the situation.  And how many of the ex-s make stupid requests like "when is he leaving?  I want to go to the airport to say good bye."   I think that secretly some of the ex-s like the attention and drama and just don't want to settle down to a nice, safe life with the new (often much better, but more boring) guys they've gotten.

• Like 2