Charged senior medical officer transferred

rooster59

Charged senior medical officer transferred

By SURASITH SINPRASERT 
THE NATION

551ad367a16780ac261d4555e54f3ac9.jpeg

Pol General Weerachai Songmetta (R) yesterday led police investigators to make inquiries at a Chao Phraya riverside restaurant following information that Yorn allegedly had drinks there on November 10 before crashing his car.

Move comes after guard seriously injured when he is dragged by car in muang district.

THE REGION 12 senior medical officer being probed for allegedly causing injuries to a guard, which was widely circulated on social media, has been transferred to the Ministry of Public Health’s academic office.

The transfer was ordered by the ministry’s permanent secretary, Dr Jessada Chokdamrongsuk, to facilitate a fact-finding committee’s ongoing probe into the November 10 incident, when Dr Yorn Chiranakhon allegedly crashed his car into the ministry’s gate in Nonthaburi’s Muang district. The incident resulted in serious injury to guard Somchai Yamdee, 22. 

3acf26dda7bc21353385bee99094f9bb.jpeg

Dr Yorn Chiranakhon

Jessada insisted that he had never interfered with the police probe nor tried to negotiate on behalf of Yorn. Jessada made his remarks yesterday after visiting the injured Somchai at Phra Nang Klao Hospital. He also gave the injured guard’s family some assistance money.

Jessada said the fact-finding probe would explore all aspects of the incident, which have strirred a controversy and been hotly debated on social media, to ensure justice to both sides. 

Somchai’s wife Jampee Sriphothong said she was glad that Yorn had taken responsibility for the guard’s injury and has been helping and visiting the family since the crash. Yorn even bought a wheelchair for Somchai’s mother, she said. “I’m still worried [over Somchai’s condition] and want to see him recover and get back to normal,” she said.

6b5181e048a88ce70aa08163a7e225d3.jpeg

Somchai’s elder brother Chainarong Nakthai said doctors told the family they are considering drilling a hole in Somchai’s neck next Tuesday if he still had to depend on a respiratory aid device. 

Chainarong said that if Yorn took good care of his brother, he wouldn’t demand any further from the medical officer. He said he wanted Yorn to draft a written contract detailing the aid he would provide Somchai, although in the meantime York could keep visiting the family.

According to hospital deputy director Dr Sakol Sukphrom, Somchai has regained consciousness and is responding to instructions for movement. However, he is dependent on a respiratory aid and suffering from an inflammatory lung complication that requires antibiotics.

Meanwhile, acting national police deputy chief Pol General Weerachai Songmetta yesterday led police investigators to make inquiries at a Chao Phraya riverside restaurant following information that Yorn allegedly had drinks there on November 10 before crashing his car.

Weerachai asked the owner of “Pu Ya Ta Yai” restaurant, Narumol Sridaranont, 35, whether Yorn had a meal and drinks at 4pm on that day.

Weerachai said police found that Yorn and a female friend bought a foreign brand of whisky to drink and ordered four bottles of soda and two buckets of ice and one side dish. As a bottle of soda make three glasses of alcoholic drinks, a potential 12 glasses of mixed drinks could be made and reportedly shared with the friend, said Weerachai.

Police suspected that Yorn could have been drunk, information which they would include in a case report for the public prosecutor’s consideration for indictment. Police are now waiting for a medical certificate on the guard’s injuries, Weerachai said.

Soon after the crash, Yorn had refused an alcohol breath analysis test. He used his legal right to refuse the action, but it could lead police to assume he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

The ministry will launch a disciplinary probe against Yorn if the fact-finding panel deemed it a drinks driving case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30331890

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-18

16 minutes ago, berybert said:

The smiling assassin. 

And if the guard dies, more money will change hands and the good doctor can go on with his life, reputation unharmed. 

The place stinks sometimes. 

yes, negative side of living in a third world country

He used his legal right to refuse the action, but it could lead police to assume he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

It doesn't matter what the police assumes; isn't it up to the public prosecutor to imply that he was drunk as he refused the alcohol test and up to the judge to make the assumption and decide to punish him for it? As he already refused the test it should be a done case (part of the law that when you refuse you get the same penalty as when you comply and are found over the limit).

I never really understood Thai law where the police is prosecutor and judge in one.

Police decide who to prosecute and in many cases mediate between parties to reach a cash settlement.

Strange country...

Me think if the evil ' doctor' will lay enough dosh at the feet of the poor

guard followed by couple of meaningless wais he just may get away

with it almost scott free, there were similar hi profile case where people

has actually died and the offenders manged to evade jail time...

Wow! So I can get Munsoned, run down a security guard at work and refuse a sobriety test, and all I’ll get is ‘moved’? 

Unfortunately I have morals. If I didn’t, I might not hesitate to drink drive at work if I were too lazy/Hiso to get a taxi home. 

I didn’t know jobs were so secure in Thailand. It’s regressively progressive. 

Bit of a dog and pony show at the moment. The power of social media, and some publicity for the BiB to show that nobody is above the law....

Now if he had been driving a German or Italian sports car, would the case been handled differently??? :passifier:

Edited by merlin2002

No caption for the 3rd photo. So let's write one:

And the award for victim of the week goes to security guard Somchai, whose family is shown receiving the winner's cheque from the proud sponsor ....

Sorry for the sarcasm, as that photo seems to me to be very inappropriate, or at the very least cynical in itself.

" she was glad that Yorn had taken responsibility for the guards injuries",

Maybe by paying for hospital bills,BUT not for the injuries he caused the man,

he's still trying to squirm his way out of that.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I know loads of Thai who drink much before driving home...they also know how to avoid the police. They just don't give a duck about it.

Sure, but to be fair many foreigners do the same thing in Thailand and in some cases in their original countries.

Some don't do it so much for a simple reason, the punishment is very severe. 

Edited by scorecard

56 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

" she was glad that Yorn had taken responsibility for the guards injuries",

Maybe by paying for hospital bills,BUT not for the injuries he caused the man,

he's still trying to squirm his way out of that.

regards worgeordie

Yes, I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into 'no charges' because the injured man's family are now happy, this scenario has been reported many times before.

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

No caption for the 3rd photo. So let's write one:

And the award for victim of the week goes to security guard Somchai, whose family is shown receiving the winner's cheque from the proud sponsor ....

Sorry for the sarcasm, as that photo seems to me to be very inappropriate, or at the very least cynical in itself.

How true, I wonder who set-up the photo op and who decided who would be in the photo, and was the so called lower class person (the guard's mother) there by choice or because she feels she must follow the instructions of the so called higher class?

I come from a very egalitarian country and I severely dislike the low class class / high class stuff. My deceased Thai wife was a doctor of medicine, she completed high school and all her medical training in a strong egalitarian country by scholarships and her exposure strongly changed her values to strongly dislike her own low-so / hi-so culture.

All of this shows strongly in our only son, born in Thailand, now a well educated adult and in a good career. My son continuously upsets other family members and other people in general with his level respect for all people.

Simple example: he found a contractor to do a lot of work on his house, the team arrived with no full shoes, no safety goggles etc., etc. He insisted (to the annoyance of their boss) that he take them shopping for these items. (He didn't buy full heavy safety shoes because he knew they would not get used, just better quality sports shoes.) He had fresh coffee and fresh dumplings ready for the workers every morning, and more.

In shops or wherever he talks pleasantly to the staff (because that's his values and because he wants his kids to learn the same values), at our local hospital many times he has insisted that obviously very poor people who need attention go first.

Perhaps even better his kids are growing up with son's values. 

A different angle, son and his Thai wife and first 2 kids moved into a new bigger house, and found a lady to help 2 hours a day.

First time his wife's elder sister (poor loud mouth lady) came to the house she instantly started to yell at the maid and several times grabbed the maid's arm and said loudly and strongly 'larng' (clean), pointing at something the sister had just slipped on the kitchen floor.

Son quickly intervened and took his sister in law outside for a lecture. Sister didn't stop, she got banned from son's house.  

Edited by scorecard

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into 'no charges' because the injured man's family are now happy, this scenario has been reported many times before.

That should not happen as this is a crime.. drunk driving and causing harm.. but this is Thailand and the man has a lot of influence. 

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, but to be fair many foreigners do the same thing in Thailand and in some cases in their original countries.

Some don't do it so much for a simple reason, the punishment is very severe. 

Indeed not a Thai thing many foreigners come here and think they can drink and drive here. You see people defending it here quite often I remember onemorechang defending it quite often. 

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Bit of a dog and pony show at the moment. The power of social media, and some publicity for the BiB to show that nobody is above the law....

Now if he had been driving a German or Italian sports car, would the case been handled differently??? :passifier:

Much better- the last thread to mention that incident took 12 posts- you managed it in 11. Standards are improving! :post-4641-1156694572:

10 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

It doesn't matter what the police assumes; isn't it up to the public prosecutor to imply that he was drunk as he refused the alcohol test and up to the judge to make the assumption and decide to punish him for it? As he already refused the test it should be a done case (part of the law that when you refuse you get the same penalty as when you comply and are found over the limit).

I never really understood Thai law where the police is prosecutor and judge in one.

Police decide who to prosecute and in many cases mediate between parties to reach a cash settlement.

Strange country...

But ideally suited to those that are “ high “